Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Booblord Zagats posted:

You're both wrong, it's the ship that killed 2 Death Stars and lived on for atleast another 40 years, the X-Wing

Also, Ralph McQuarrie made some amazing art for them to base the aesthetic off of

http://www.starwars.com/news/an-annotated-guide-to-the-star-wars-portfolio-by-ralph-mcquarrie
McQuarrie's concept art owns, I've been trying to collect the "Space Paintings" card set in Star Wars Card Trader because it's 100% McQuarrie art and it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

X-Wings never seemed to have issues making jumps to hyperspace, even after spending a week in a swamp

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
It's the force, you see. Even short-range fighters can do that if you use enough of your midichlorians.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

You're both wrong, it's the ship that killed 2 Death Stars and lived on for atleast another 40 years, the X-Wing

Also, Ralph McQuarrie made some amazing art for them to base the aesthetic off of

http://www.starwars.com/news/an-annotated-guide-to-the-star-wars-portfolio-by-ralph-mcquarrie

It actually looks like the new Resistance X-Wings are based directly off his old concept art, as far as the engines go at least

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

drunk asian neighbor posted:

It actually looks like the new Resistance X-Wings are based directly off his old concept art, as far as the engines go at least
Yeah, I thought that was a pretty classy nod to the old McQuarrie art.

The Rebels cartoon series is chock full of re-purposed McQuarrie concept art, too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Booblord Zagats posted:

X-Wings never seemed to have issues making jumps to hyperspace, even after spending a week in a swamp

That always floored me. Imagine the amount of maintenance in a dedicated facility any contemporary fighter would need to be airworthy after spending a few days underwater in a swamp. An F-35 would probably just disintegrate.

In the videogames and poo poo they always include in the write up that the Y-Wing is the "rugged and reliable" one, but seems like the X-wing is no slouch if you can just let it air dry after that poo poo and then fly it across the galaxy no prob.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

That always floored me. Imagine the amount of maintenance in a dedicated facility any contemporary fighter would need to be airworthy after spending a few days underwater in a swamp. An F-35 would probably just disintegrate.

In the videogames and poo poo they always include in the write up that the Y-Wing is the "rugged and reliable" one, but seems like the X-wing is no slouch if you can just let it air dry after that poo poo and then fly it across the galaxy no prob.

It's like that old joke from Futurama, the difference between a spaceship and a submarine is pressure. Considering a lot of Star Wars spacecraft is designed for atmospheres of differing compositions and pressures including space, I'd assume if an X-wing's paneling was intact, it could withstand be submerged for a few weeks.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

"The Incom T-65 X-wing is the fighter that killed the Death Star. An almost perfect balance of speed, maneuverability, and defensive shielding make it the fighter of choice for Rogue Squadron."'

I have that guy's voice in my head forever
edit: oh man of course there's a YT of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iec-otO4VPQ

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Booblord Zagats posted:

The only exception I can think of is in Heir to the Empire, when Luke does some trick with instantly reversing the thrust of his X-Wing while shooting a torpedo to break a tractor beam lock. It wrecks his hyperdrive and he has to limp to the nearest planet to get repairs.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dely Apple posted:

"The Incom T-65 X-wing is the fighter that killed the Death Star. An almost perfect balance of speed, maneuverability, and defensive shielding make it the fighter of choice for Rogue Squadron."'

edit: oh man of course there's a YT of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iec-otO4VPQ

The perfect SW Wraith squad game would be a mix of tie fighter stuff, Hitman, and Uncharted. Maybe even let you swap which char you're controlling, to multitask an attack on a base (or have it be co-op! or bots for backup). Luminous dreams are these...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dely Apple posted:

in nintendo power where they list the high scores there was always only a handful of kids listed with all the gold medals. i shoulda sent in a screenshot of mine and lived forever in those hallowed pages.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 12, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm thinking original rainbow six for a wraith game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

this is pretty great

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Xenomrph posted:

McQuarrie's concept art owns, I've been trying to collect the "Space Paintings" card set in Star Wars Card Trader because it's 100% McQuarrie art and it rules.

It was a cool set but I'm probably going to transfer my cards to a tablet account cuz you can't really appreciate them on such a phone screen.

Anyway, while the a-wing is cool, the prototype b-wing shoots out a death star beam. :getin:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TIE Interceptor is the best ship by several orders of magnitude. Topic locked.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

As if "the Empire was right all along" wasn't silly enough, we now have this nonsense:

The Radicalization of Luke Skywalker: A Jedi's Path to Jihad

quote:

During the fight, Obi-Wan notices Luke watching, and seeing an opportunity to fully inspire Luke to radicalize, says a Jedi prayer while committing suicide. Can you think of any other groups who try to inspire terrorism by yelling a prayer before a suicide attack?

How is letting someone cut you down a "suicide attack?" And is all prayer now terrorist-linked?

quote:

young Skywalker seeks to assassinate the Emperor and even his own father (!) if they won’t convert to Luke’s extremist interpretation of the Force

Did they actually see the movie? Specifically, the part where Luke explicitly rejects the idea of killing Vader?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Alliance to Restore the Republic were radical mujahideen fighters willing to die to bring down the Imperial Planetary Ore Extractor.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
so what does that make ewoks then

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

viet cong.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
perfect, thank you,yub yub

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jurgan posted:

As if "the Empire was right all along" wasn't silly enough, we now have this nonsense:

How is letting someone cut you down a "suicide attack?" And is all prayer now terrorist-linked?

Did they actually see the movie? Specifically, the part where Luke explicitly rejects the idea of killing Vader?

trying_too_hard.edgemaster.txt

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jurgan posted:

Someone on my G+ linked to that article. I didn't read it but assumed it was satire. It's really a serious article? JFC.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Someone on my G+ linked to that article. I didn't read it but assumed it was satire. It's really a serious article? JFC.

It's hard to tell, honestly. I kind of think it's a joke, given how much it stretches the facts to fit, but I've seen conservative "thinkers" write 100% sincere pieces like "Palpatine was a benevolent dictator, much like Pinochet" and "The destruction of Alderaan was justified because Bail Organa was a leader of the Rebellion."

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

This poo poo gets more impressive when you realize it was entirely done by one dude.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TK-42-1 posted:

This poo poo gets more impressive when you realize it was entirely done by one dude.

How Disney hasn't scooped him up yet is a true mystery

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

that video is making me want to sign my next paycheck over to fantasy flight games

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

that video is making me want to sign my next paycheck over to fantasy flight games

Once I am done with my '80s subway car space garbage truck paintjob, I'm going to paint some squints and bombers in this v cool anime style.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Give in to X-Wangs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Otisburg posted:

I want the Armada game SO BAD.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Aeon Flux Does Star Wars

Also that video did absolutely nothing to curb my desire to replay the Xwing/TIE Fighter series.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Xenomrph posted:

Aeon Flux Does Star Wars

Also that video did absolutely nothing to curb my desire to replay the Xwing/TIE Fighter series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

He's intense (and crazy) enough to be the next Tom Cruise.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

effectual posted:

He's intense (and crazy) enough to be the next Tom Cruise.

His action running game isn't nearly as good imo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Apparently when he was filming Fury he decided that in order to most accurately portray a tanker who had been on campaign for weeks or month he needed to stop showering for weeks at a time, slash his own face with a blade, and rip out one of his teeth. Guy's cool as heck imo.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Apparently when he was filming Fury he decided that in order to most accurately portray a tanker who had been on campaign for weeks or month he needed to stop showering for weeks at a time, slash his own face with a blade, and rip out one of his teeth. Guy's cool as heck imo.

I heartily congratulate him for successfully navigating the Hollywood shitstorm. It's pretty funny how subtly the general perception went from "What wacky publicity stunt is Shia doing now" to "What highly-anticipated artistic endeavor are Shia and his team going to do next?" He very smoothly legitimized himself, and it's hilarious because it seems like his plan was to go so crazy he approached normalcy from the other side, and it seems to be working.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Man, I really want to see Disney's numbers this last month on merchandising alone. It has got to be insane

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Dely Apple posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxSBQmqV0qM&t=121s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I just love how angry he is with that swing.

• Locked thread