Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Accident Underwater posted:

Being most of the way done, it seems like a good idea would have been to just draft very good platoons at every position, instead of fighting over top full time talent in the early rounds. This is a very tricky and entertaining theme.

trying to predict starting pitching is what killed me, like in the first round one could have got millwood, verlander, lowe and pretty much had a rotation right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

trying to predict starting pitching is what killed me, like in the first round one could have got millwood, verlander, lowe and pretty much had a rotation right there

Yeah if anyone would've just accepted being one round behind everyone they could've drafted a sick team by round six or seven, but I guess on the other hand you need to make sure SOMEONE picks Barry Bonds just to block him because Art almost made everyone look dumb by getting him and Trout.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah if anyone would've just accepted being one round behind everyone they could've drafted a sick team by round six or seven, but I guess on the other hand you need to make sure SOMEONE picks Barry Bonds just to block him because Art almost made everyone look dumb by getting him and Trout.

i really didn't expect to be one of only two people to take bonds

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Zamboni Jesus posted:

Well I drafted am inanimate object in round 1 so idk what to make of anything

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Zamboni Jesus posted:

You're the horrible bastard that blocked me from getting 2004 Barry? I hate you forever you know.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Zamboni Jesus posted:

trying to predict starting pitching is what killed me

same. my overall pitching stats seem fine enough but that's pretty much bolstered entirely by my non-starters. my SPs are going to be hot garbage i think

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

You're the horrible bastard that blocked me from getting 2004 Barry? I hate you forever you know.

you're the horrible bastard who blocked me

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zapplez posted:

If I hosed up and drafted way too many position players and not enough bullpen arms can I shitcan a position guy and try to select another reliever?

Posting again for a response from the organizer

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Zamboni Jesus posted:

you're the horrible bastard who blocked me

I accept your apology

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

zapplez posted:

i didn't know you weren't joking. no. but you have plenty of innings anyway.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

zapplez posted:

Are you using the highest number of innings from each pitcher you drafted?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Going by the last roster you posted you've got about 200-300 more innings than you need so you should be fine.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Hey Bob who are we waiting on?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Nobody now!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If I lose to the guy who drafted Pete Kozma I'm finding a bridge to throw myself off.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

zapplez posted:

Sorry I missed this earlier but no, sorry. You do have more than enough innings, as everyone said.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I need one pick from 5 people:

- angrygodofjebus
- Ivan Drago
- jeffersonlives
- Nerokerubina
- Zamboni Jesus

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My bench kinda sucks because I didn't realize we couldn't use splits until after picking up Felipe Lopez (hoping to use his Cardinals 2008 as part of a three-headed 2B monster) but other than that I'm happy with where I ended up after how the first two rounds went.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Power of Pecota posted:

My bench kinda sucks because I didn't realize we couldn't use splits

Uhhh what

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

Um that shouldn't be the case

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Julio Cruz posted:

If I lose to the guy who drafted Pete Kozma I'm finding a bridge to throw myself off.

Kozma was mostly a joke pick, though hilariously I think as of Round 10 his .333/.383/.569 2012 line (in 82 PAs) made him the best bench SS available for me.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
My backup shortstop is Paul Konerko

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

My bad I thought someone said splits were unavailable after one of the draft rounds - I'll reenter later tonight.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
I'm in. What do divisions and playoff brackets look like in this format?

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

I only have one left handed pitcher and he's a starter lol oops

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

My only two left handed pitchers are Brett Anderson and Rafael Perez.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Fairly happy with how this turned out. No star SP, but OK outside of Braden (who I will use *sparingly* with all the innings I have). And I'm hyped to get Burrell and Hundley for WiS nostalgia even if I reached like hell to make sure they were on my team.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I decided to use Rich Hill's really good 2015 split and sacrificed all my extra innings, but I think I'll manage with around 1350.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Pecota, I love your team name way more than I should.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

ArtVandelay posted:

Pecota, I love your team name way more than I should.

Thanks!

Since splits are okay, the Lopez/Walker/Lowrie hydra is good to go. This team's like 100% hinging on Pavano/Dr. Fausto/Park putting in good work, I have a hard time seeing something else being a worse problem for the team unless Jack Wilson puts up like a .400 OPS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I know nothing about this thing works, how do you set lineups and splits and things? I can only look at my team :(

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

JosefStalinator posted:

I know nothing about this thing works, how do you set lineups and splits and things? I can only look at my team :(

Once the season starts you'll be able to see everyone's team, that's why some of us posted our teams now.

From the manager's center tab you can set everything you need.

If you click Edit lineup card above your lineup, you can set split lineups. When you make changes click set current lineup and then you can swap over and click on vs. LHP to set the other lineup. If you want both lineups identical click Copy to opposite lineup.

As players accumulate plate appearances/pitches thrown, they become fatigued. Clicking Advanced settings will bring you to a window where you can set at what fatigue percentage your player is automatically benched/rested. The defaults are generally fine for hitters if you have enough plate appearances.

The advanced settings for pitchers is similar. The Target Pitch Count (TPC) is approximately how many pitches you want your pitcher to throw in a game, and MPC is the Maximum before they're pulled. I think the general rule of thumb is you shouldn't set your pitchers TPC for more than around 15 pitches per inning, according to their real life innings pitched per game. So for a reliever who averages less than an inning per game, you might want to set the TPC as 5 or 10, for a starter who averages 6 innings you might set it at 90, and then you adjust as the year goes by.

One other thing to note is at the beginning of the year fatigue is kind of wild because of dampening. Be extra conservative and assume everyone will be exhausted after a couple games, and that evens out after the first 10 games or so and then you can manage more normally. Beneath Edit Lineup Card go to the Player Hierarchies, which will allow you to set your backup player at each position for resting players, defensive subs, and pinch hitting. I generally put my starters in column one, then follow that up with who I want to backup each spot.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Oh also I don't think it ever got answered so I went and looked to see who was reigning champ, and it was ManifunkDestiny, who I'm sure knew this but I was still curious.

Past Champions
S1: GoatSeeGuy
S2: angrygodofjebus
S3: gyroball
S4: Marquis de Pyro
S5: ThatsMyBoye
S6: ThatsMyBoye
S7: Goetta
S8: Doran Doran
S9: whateverfor
S10: toadee
S11: AlleyViper
S12: AccidentUnderwater
S13: AccidentUnderwater
S14: AlleyViper
S15: male.bi.unix
S16: Power of Pecota
S17: male.bi.unix
S18: atheistdeals.com
S19: Ivan Drago
S20: foolish_fool
S21: Zamboni Jesus
S22: NutShellbill
S23: atheistdeals.com
S24: toadee
S25: Manifunk

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Oh also I don't think it ever got answered so I went and looked to see who was reigning champ, and it was ManifunkDestiny, who I'm sure knew this but I was still curious.

Past Champions
S1: GoatSeeGuy
S2: angrygodofjebus
S3: gyroball
S4: Marquis de Pyro
S5: ThatsMyBoye
S6: ThatsMyBoye
S7: Goetta
S8: Doran Doran
S9: whateverfor
S10: toadee
S11: AlleyViper
S12: AccidentUnderwater
S13: AccidentUnderwater
S14: AlleyViper
S15: male.bi.unix
S16: Power of Pecota
S17: male.bi.unix
S18: atheistdeals.com
S19: Ivan Drago
S20: foolish_fool
S21: Zamboni Jesus
S22: NutShellbill
S23: atheistdeals.com
S24: toadee
S25: Manifunk

Sadly this league took so long to form I lost my free season 😟

Also that's some pretty good parity across that many seasons. Hopefully this won't be the last!

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

We're done!

Again, the league number is MLB114451

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Round 11 has Nerokerubina drafting Matt Capps, but I also drafted Matt Capps in Round 9. Or are there multiple Matt Cappses?

I think this is my final team:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

We've got 19/26 teams in so far which is great.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I'm in, bad platoons set up. I didn't grab a mop up dude at all, so that along will be interesting.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

kensei posted:

I'm in, bad platoons set up. I didn't grab a mop up dude at all, so that along will be interesting.

Yeah, I don't have one either. I wonder if I will win some games I mightn't otherwise because the murdering won't be so bad...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Never forget the greatest goon division ever, and the most frustrating WiS season I ever had:

code:
Central	 			W-L 	PCT	GB	MagN		Home	Away	Live		Owner	
Astrodome Speed Team™		118-44	0.728	-	x		61-20	57-24	5-2		alleyviper	
Hughie Jennings and the News	115-47	0.710	3	-		61-20	54-27	0-0		gardenald	
Mostly Harmless			104-58	0.642	14	-		53-28	51-30	0-0		sakensei	
HurlyBurrelly			91-71	0.562	27	-		40-41	51-30	0-0		gyroball	

• Locked thread