Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Man, everyone who works at the shop I run tournaments at was torn about if we should do 2HG or not. We asked a sample size of regulars, 10-15 people, and most would rather play traditional pre-release sealed. Now that I'm seeing cards come out, I wonder if we should switch at least one day to 2HG. Pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't feeling to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Yawgmoth posted:

CoC d20 is hilariously bad, as are EDH, 2HG, & Emperor and for the same reason: it's a particularly shoddy attempt to force a game system to do something it's not equipped at all to do except on the barest "well technically" level. I never played Conspiracy because the "like draft, but with extra poo poo!" hook never interested me, especially when all the extras look as ridiculous as the EDH specific poo poo.

I agree with all of this except for Conspiracy because it was actually really fun (provided you were drinking (why werent you drinking if you were playing conspiracy?))

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:lol::lol::lol:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

I just see general slower playing, lots of newer / just returning to the game guys that are dropping $600 on whatever 4 color deck won the last SCG event, then stumbling their way through library searching effects (fetches, bring to light, nissa), tanking over really basic decisions, or just not even knowing what their cards do (yes, virulent plague effects your tokens too)

We played round 2 I think, UB Sacrifice. We chatted about Merfolk / infect in modern and you won 2-0 with flamewake, blood soaked champ, and dashed zurgo g1 and I conceded to conceal info with two lands In play I believe?you thought I was playing 4 color rally but Thunderbreak & friends won g2 for you. Thank you for actually playing at a decent pace unlike the rest of my opponents last night.

Oh hey it was nice to finally meet you, it was also nice to have an opponent that can carry a conversation while playing. I like to play quick-ish so's I can have time for a beer between rounds, which is partly the reason I can never play control.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Sickening posted:

I think it also has to do with the cheapest t1 deck having a bad matchup against the two most expensive t1 decks.

What deck other than Jeskai Black are you thinking of? I think Atarka Red has a good matchup against Esper Dragons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ah pre-release hype, never change.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dehtraen posted:

and then a repair going into round 4 because someone misreported their results. It was 15 minutes into round 4 and it was already passed the time I usually am getting home.

lol how is it not just a "sorry dude, you shoulda checked the standings" at that point?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who doesn't love compulsory windows updates? (that just shut down LSV's stream)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Konstantin posted:

What deck other than Jeskai Black are you thinking of? I think Atarka Red has a good matchup against Esper Dragons.

Abzan is pretty expensive.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Abzan is pretty expensive.
Sort of, I mean most if it you should already have if you were playing it before rotation. The only new expensive card is Gideon.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You're friend rabidsquid here, atop a pile of bitcoins, to talk to you about Seance, as well as suppressive persons.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Also I told everyone how much having to deal with fetchlands at standard FNM would suck!!!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Entropic posted:

Sort of, I mean most if it you should already have if you were playing it before rotation. The only new expensive card is Gideon.

How does that have anything to do with how expensive a deck is? oh, and Gideon is basically the only money card in the set. If oath stays with the power trend Gideon isn't getting cheaper for a while.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Dec 13, 2015

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
SCG Invitational top 8 looks pretty varied deck wise, only overlaps are 2 GR Tron in modern and 2 Abzan Aggro in standard.

Esper Dragons and Grixis Control
Four-Color Rally and Temur Twin
Jeskai Black and Infect
Five-Color Bring to Light and G/R Tron
B/R Dragons and Jund
Abzan Aggro and Affinity
Esper Midrange and Abzan Company
Abzan Aggro and G/R Tron

Entropic posted:

lol how is it not just a "sorry dude, you shoulda checked the standings" at that point?

Sorry - poor phone posting on my part. the repair happened at the beginning of the round but very few players were actually switched around and then 15 minutes after the repair it was basically the time I am usually getting home and crashing out (40+ minutes behind schedule). Three rounds of non-limited FNM should not take 4 hours.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 13, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dehtraen posted:

SCG Invitational top 8 looks pretty varied deck wise, only overlaps are 2 GR Tron in modern and 2 Abzan Aggro in standard.

Esper Dragons and Grixis Control
Four-Color Rally and Temur Twin
Jeskai Black and Infect
Five-Color Bring to Light and G/R Tron
B/R Dragons and Jund
Abzan Aggro and Affinity
Esper Midrange and Abzan Company
Abzan Aggro and G/R Tron

Sorry - poor phone posting on my part. the repair happened at the beginning of the round but very few players were actually switched around and then 15 minutes after the repair it was basically the time I am usually getting home and crashing out (40+ minutes behind schedule). Three rounds of non-limited FNM should not take 4 hours.

Everything has generally been run less smoothly since our previous L2 got a for realsie job :(

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Cactrot posted:

Everything has generally been run less smoothly since our previous L2 got a for realsie job :(

I agree, I believe the volunteer judges have done a solid job but they didn't benefit from training with the prior L2. Even he trained with the prior TO / judge for 3 months to get a handle on how to smoothly run a tournament at the shop (and he had prior experience as well) before taking over the job.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm definitely not going to miss Fetches in standard. Full speed mana fixing + fuel for Delve and Jace (if you're willing to bring a $700 deck to an FNM) is dumb.

The good news is that Aritocrat / Rally decks run pretty cheap since most of their engine cards are weird jank that's only good in one context, and they're pretty fun if you don't mind taking long turns.

Can someone fill me on on why Deathtouch one drops aren't played more often as blockers? Last night at an FNM I ran a cut-down version of 4 Color Rally without blue, and I ran a set of Ruthless Rippers in place of Sidisi's Faithful. They did a huge amount of work trolling any deck whose plan was to attack with creatures on the ground. Obviously they have limitations, but a lot of the staple aggro cards like Swiftspear and Anafenza don't have a good way to get past them unless your opponent is willing to spend their second turn casting a removal spell on your one drop instead of building board state.

EDIT: Ruthless Ripper might be my new favorite mediocre card. It's a 1/1 Deathtouch for 1, which is always an annoying place to start, but it can also be played as a morph that flips by revealing a black card in your hand (meaning you can do it while tapped out) and makes your opponent lose two life when it flips. Combine all that with the fact that it's not actually a played card in anything and you get some great reactions the first time you do it.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 13, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Wow Gerry T didn't make top 8 after 8-0...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Voyager I posted:

I'm definitely not going to miss Fetches in standard. Full speed mana fixing + fuel for Delve and Jace (if you're willing to bring a $700 deck to an FNM) is dumb.

The good news is that Aritocrat / Rally decks run pretty cheap since most of their engine cards are weird jank that's only good in one context, and they're pretty fun if you don't mind taking long turns.

Can someone fill me on on why Deathtouch one drops aren't played more often as blockers? I ran a cut-down version of 4 Color Rally without blue with a set of Ruthless Rippers in place of Sidisi's Faithful and they did a huge amount of work trolling any deck whose plan was to attack with creatures on the ground. Obviously they have limitations, but a lot of the staple aggro cards like Swiftspear and Anafenza don't have a good way to get past them unless your opponent is willing to spend their second turn casting a removal spell on your one drop instead of building board state.

I thought Fetches + Delve was OK. Jace got added to the pile and things were still mostly alright (pricetag not withstanding). He provides interesting interactions with Delve like Tasigur does. Then the Duals got added and that was the straw that broke the camels back.

As to your point about Typhoid Rats and its ilk: I'm not really sure. I love seeing them played and I love playing them though, Nothing feels better than playing Rat T1 and watching your midrange-playing opponent debate with themselves every turn about killing it or not.

Then you drop the second one. :v:

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 13, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Ruthless Ripper is even more fun in a BGx Aristocrats deck because after your opponent knows you're running it you can potentially play mindgames with Haruspex, and your Ripper trading is likely to also fuel your sac engine. With a good board state, it can read "I reveal this black card from my hand to flip the Ripper I just tapped out to play on my turn. You lose two life, then it trades with your best creature, then you lose a life and I gain a life, and then I draw a card". It's basically a conditional removal spell attached to the body of a creature.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 13, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This just occurred to me, is the judge being an employee whose only job at the store is being an events coordinator an anomaly?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Entropic posted:

i didn't have the cards before rotation, because i was broke then. now im less broke, but not "spend 800 dollars on a deck" not broke

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Also I told everyone how much having to deal with fetchlands at standard FNM would suck!!!!

ODD/ONS was fine or so I've read, and ZEN's fetchlands are incidental to the problems with its standards.

Or is it specifically the fetches+typed duals in Standard? It's unequivocally the best mana fixing, and with this every major constructed format has 'em in one way or another. There's no refuge besides going to Pauper or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

ODD/ONS was fine or so I've read, and ZEN's fetchlands are incidental to the problems with its standards.

Or is it specifically the fetches+typed duals in Standard? It's unequivocally the best mana fixing, and with this every major constructed format has 'em in one way or another. There's no refuge besides going to Pauper or something.

Fetches + typed duals. It's more of a pace of play type situation. I think fetches in modern are incredibly annoying but the fundamental turn is a little lower and the mana bases construction isn't skewed as goofily as current standard. Fetches in the older eternal formats are more bearable possibly because people are more used to playing with shuffle effects constantly?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Cactrot posted:

This just occurred to me, is the judge being an employee whose only job at the store is being an events coordinator an anomaly?

Yes. Think about it, even assuming minimum wage that means an employee is on the clock for 4 hours on a Friday night. That's $32 gone from whatever profit running that tournament was going to bring the store. A good TO who does event promotion and can herd a gaggle of gamers well enough to justify doing only that should be getting more than minimum wage because they're remotely competent, so say $40.

A draft pod at $15 a head is basically paying $120 for a booster box that runs most stores around $85 (assuming 12 prize packs). So that's $35/8 players profit. A constructed tournament that has higher than a 20% rake ($5 buy-in, $4 into prize pool) would be ludicrous but even saying $1.50 "off the top" you'd need 21 players to justify a dedicated TO.

There's a reason most stores are staffed by the owner, volunteers, and college kids.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There's no way the margins are actually that thin on a facility that has to pay rent and utilities, even assuming the owners didn't need to do things like pay themselves salaries or eat.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Voyager I posted:

There's no way the margins are actually that thin on a facility that has to pay rent and utilities, even assuming the owners didn't need to do things like pay themselves salaries or eat.

Those are exactly the margins. Game stores are terrible businesses.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Those are unbelievably poo poo margins. Where does the revenue come from then? Is the real money in individual card sales and value trade-ins, with events mostly being a way to get people into the building?

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 13, 2015

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Speaking as a store employee, events are not to make money. Single and product sales are how you make money. You also have to be diversified. My store does comics, sports, cards, magic, heroclix, boardgames, warhammer, and so on. Magic is by far our best though. Bottom line is that people have to like your store and want to come back, period.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Would the LGS as it currently exists even be possible without the MtG secondary market?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Vital Signs posted:

Speaking as a store employee, events are not to make money. Single and product sales are how you make money. You also have to be diversified. My store does comics, sports, cards, magic, heroclix, boardgames, warhammer, and so on. Magic is by far our best though. Bottom line is that people have to like your store and want to come back, period.

Our LGS has several monthly events which lose them money up until they hit 16 people... at which point they increase the prizes and begin losing money again until they get to 20-something people. Events are for getting people in the store to buy singles and to keep them playing there.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Would the LGS as it currently exists even be possible without the MtG secondary market?

I can't imagine how it would.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I recently moved, but my old games store was really diversified. They sold board games, many different card games, miniatures, comic books, food, and had beer on tap. It doesn't seem far fetched that much of their business would be able to carry on fine without the Magic secondary market.

Vital Signs posted:

Man, everyone who works at the shop I run tournaments at was torn about if we should do 2HG or not. We asked a sample size of regulars, 10-15 people, and most would rather play traditional pre-release sealed. Now that I'm seeing cards come out, I wonder if we should switch at least one day to 2HG. Pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't feeling to it.

Have you considered just letting them pre-register far in advance for planning purposes?

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
stores make money off tournaments by selling snacks for more than the gas station that's past the stoplight does :unsmigghh:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Voyager I posted:

They're that thin on events. Hence why you don't have an employee there to run only events (typically). You need someone who will run the till, manage inventory, do whatever miscellaneous duties are needed around the store. Someone who isn't selling sleeves and dice and singles is for most stores someone who is actively costing you money.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

PJOmega posted:

A draft pod at $15 a head is basically paying $120 for a booster box that runs most stores around $85 (assuming 12 prize packs). So that's $35/8 players profit.

That's their profit assuming those eight players were each going to buy 4.5 packs anyhow and crack them even if no draft were taking place. But they wouldn't.

The profit is in moving more packs.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Skyl3lazer posted:

Oath confirmed garbage (larger pic):

Isn't it a little early for Archenemy spoilers :confused:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

That's their profit assuming those eight players were each going to buy 4.5 packs anyhow and crack them even if no draft were taking place. But they wouldn't.

The profit is in moving more packs.

Of course that's the case. But you don't need a dedicated staffer to facilitate a FNM draft. For the organizer to be worth it, they have to be bringing in enough extra people to justify him or her.

As it is, they're basically selling a box at full price over a period of 4 hours.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Are boxes really $85 wholesale? I thought the wholesale price for a standard box was closer to $72.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Unified standard sounded interesting on paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ancient Tomb in the expeditions? Whaaa

EDIT: and Forbidden Orchard. So I guess there may be 10 one-of cool lands as expeditions?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Dec 13, 2015

• Locked thread