Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are fairly convincing arguments. However, the majority of my sounds involve 1: a high gain amp and 2: a green overdrive pedal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nothing wrong with that. Some of the best guitar fun I have is going straight in dry (hi bois) without verbs or anything.

Now that I think about it those Bassbreakers would be perfect for a guitar -> amp setup. They sound so good ugh.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I haven't done much with an FX loop either. Hell my main amp doesn't have one.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I keep meaning to set up my delay/reverb in an FX loop but am too lazy to deal with the cables. I have a goddamn TC Flashback Triple and I'm still too lazy. What's wrong with me.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Professor Science posted:

I keep meaning to set up my delay/reverb in an FX loop but am too lazy to deal with the cables. I have a goddamn TC Flashback Triple and I'm still too lazy. What's wrong with me.

Do it.

I have both my timebender and mini wah in my effects loop since the only dirt pedals I have is a boost and the scrutator.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm considering buying another amplifier after selling off all of my older ones and swearing onto digital-modelling only, only to find myself playing with a relative and actually wanting to hear myself out loud.

I have gone through a number of amps:

WEM Bass Dominator Mk. 1 -- 18w 15" based on the same schematic as the 18w Marshall stuff. It had a great clean tone and took pedals well. I liked that it had alot of presence and moved alot of air.
Blackstar HT-1R -- Arguably had a better tone when going through a cab sim, but the tiny 8" speaker wasn't doing it any favors. Max volume was about 100db, which is about as loud as I wanted to go but it simply didn't have any depth.
Fender Blues Deluxe -- The raw sound was fine, and it took pedals relatively well but I had to crank it to get it going, which was too loud for my wife.
Marshal SL5 -- The best sounding of the bunch, but at a time when I wasn't playing with other people and sold my mic/interface so it never got used over my BOSS ME-80. The 5w mode was significantly nicer than the 1w mode.

My tone is quite mid-heavy and I quite like working with fuzz, and I like a British sound. With this in mind I'm looking at amps with the following criteria:

- Solid state (i.e. good tone without having to crank it) or Valve pre-amp
- 12" speaker (or 2x12 if head)
- Portable by one person and a car
- Volume appropriate for home practise, rehearsal, small gig (i.e. pub, coffee shop)
- Can play cleans at acoustic-guitar level without distortion
- Less than £500

I believe I have roughly narrowed it down to an Orange Crush CR60. I would like a sanity check if possible?

My alternate thoughts for a dirty sound was the Randall RG100SC but discounted because it's SUCH a specific thrashy tone, or a Blackstar ID260 which I discounted because it is far too much hard work and cork sniffing with different virtual valves and whatnot. I had a thought to get something like the DV Mark Jazz 12 which is a super clean jazzy amp, and then go with purely pedal-based dirt (i.e. Wampler Pinnacle, JHS Angry Charlie) but I think I would be limited more that way. Up for contention were also the Micro and Micro Dark Terror, but both seem to sound quite brittle compared to the CR60.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions!

Many thanks,

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Avid ElevenRack.
QSC K8 or K10 powered speaker.
A pair of nice studio headphones.

That setup would cover your home and practice levels with ease. You can get a foot controller so it really becomes flexible.

Of course, this might add up on your side of the pond.

Edit: \/\/\/ I was thinking used, but yeah :downs:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 14, 2015

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hm, that's on the wrong side of £1000 so a little out of my price range, but it is an interesting idea. I hadn't thought about a rack mounted amp/processor, like a Marshall JMP-1

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I know I'll get a significant volume boost, but is there otherwise a compelling reason to go for a 2x12 rather than a 1x12 in my situation?

A few people have suggested the ID260 may be a better choice since I could in theory dial in the Orange sound AND the Randall sound. Any thoughts?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

I know I'll get a significant volume boost, but is there otherwise a compelling reason to go for a 2x12 rather than a 1x12 in my situation?

A few people have suggested the ID260 may be a better choice since I could in theory dial in the Orange sound AND the Randall sound. Any thoughts?

1 x 12 should be fine for what your doing, look into open backed cabs if you want to fill the room. Also I would try the Orange out before you buy, I played one of the smaller solid state amps the other day, the tuner was shaky at best, and their distortion is really more of a fuzz to my ears. That being said, I do love the big tube amps they make.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 15, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OR15 + PPC212C is my setup. I seem to want what you want for the most part and it works great for me. I usually play at quiet bedroom volumes and I don't feel like the tubes are being underused. The OR15 is just a killer simple straightforward amp. The cleans are severely underrated. Just my random probably unhelpful 2c :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
What do you guys think of the 6505mh? If I had the money I'd totally get it because low power but high gain amps are hard to come by.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

You mean apart from the terrors, black stars, etc.?

I had considered an OR15 but it is at very least 1.5x as loud as my Marshall SL5 and that was just a bit too loud cranked for my wife to be peaceful. I guess I do need to play both the OR and the CR myself to get a good idea however.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

You mean apart from the terrors, black stars, etc.?

I had considered an OR15 but it is at very least 1.5x as loud as my Marshall SL5 and that was just a bit too loud cranked for my wife to be peaceful. I guess I do need to play both the OR and the CR myself to get a good idea however.

Sadly those have decent gain but not as much as I'm talking about with the 6505.

You could look into an attenuator?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

I'm pretty happy with my mass 200 for my 6505+ so far. I haven't ever tried to get down to bedroom levels, but I can definitely get a nice 6db cut without dialing the attenuator very far up at all -- I've found that in a rehearsal situation that's really what you need to get under control.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm really considering getting the Blackstar TVP260 instead of the Crush. The Crush is fine of course, but a 2x12 with an emulated out seems like the best of both of those worlds and it effectively has an effects loop with built in reverb/modulation/etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRDRhdZm9yw

Going by purely objective assessment it looks like the Blackstar wins:

Orange Crush Pro 60
+ Effects Loop
+ Great drive tone
- 1x12
- Squelchy clean tone

Blackstar TVP260
+ 2x12
+ USB connectivity
+ Pseudo effects-loop with Rev/Mod/Delay
+ Decent clean tone

I'm quite jaded about having a bazllion dials, frankly I just want something that does one sound well. From what I can see the Blackstar could be a fire-and-forget amp once it's tuned in but honestly it seems too good to be true.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Dec 21, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm sick of gigging around with my half stack, and so I'm trying to downsize to a 2x12. There's a couple of Marshall MC212 units down at my guitar shop for sale which seem ok and I can get for about 350, and I've sort of toyed with building my own but am unsure of how well something like a Seismic box will hold up and then there's the whole question of exactly what speakers I ought to buy. Anyway halp I want to spend my money in the right way.

And in the meantime if anyone wants to buy an Ampeg V4 4x12 cabinet or a Sunn Beta Lead head let me know.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
See if it's possible to get the guts from your head to fit into the control cavity of a 2x12 combo that you gutted. Or just do 2x12 with a regular head?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

See if it's possible to get the guts from your head to fit into the control cavity of a 2x12 combo that you gutted. Or just do 2x12 with a regular head?

I have another 100 watt head that I'm currently using - it's an Audimation B100 (same guts as the Ampeg B100 bass head from the early 70s, built by the guy who designed the Ampeg after he left that company). So I'll be running that through whatever 2x12 cabinet I get. I just want to get a cabinet with good speakers that's sturdy and I don't know which one that might be.

Also that isn't an Orange because while I like their stuff I don't want to spend that kind of cash.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was hunting for the 2x12 version of the marshall 1960 (called the 1936) but never bought one, they seem to go for around $300 used and more money than they're worth new.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Get a head with a 2x12 Cab. 2x12 combos suck to move anywhere.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was hunting for the 2x12 version of the marshall 1960 (called the 1936) but never bought one, they seem to go for around $300 used and more money than they're worth new.

I'll see if I can find one. There just don't seem to be a lot of 2x12 cabs around except for the Oranges.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll see if I can find one. There just don't seem to be a lot of 2x12 cabs around except for the Oranges.

Mojotone, Avatar, probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I have a port city oversized 2x12 loaded with Celestion century vintage neo speakers. It has a big honkin port on the bottom of the cab and it sounds nearly as huge as most 4x12s I've played. With the neo speakers it's under 30 pounds as well, easy to carry around.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just got a Quilter Aviator 2x10 and I'm really impressed. The amp has a tag on the back that says it was manufactured on November 30th 2015, I ordered it on the 21st of December, and it arrived on the 23rd. The shipping from American Musical Supply was insane. Free shipping and it shows up in Michigan in less than 48 hours. The amp itself is clearly well made, good assembly, but I would prefer to see bump covers on the corner tolex. It's loud for sure, definitely capable of drowning out a drum set if you wanted to. The aux in works really well I was playing backing tracks off my computer and had plenty of power, very nice to have 2 different volume knobs for the aux and guitar. The amp really sounds excellent, just as good as a tube amp which I was pretty skeptical about before sitting down with it today.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
What's up with that beta lead tho?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Smash it Smash hit posted:

What's up with that beta lead tho?

I dunno if this is a joke or what, but I play a lot of metal and the gain on this amp is sufficient for most things. Especially when you play at volume it is pretty searing. I found that most review videos only push the gain to about 60% for whatever reason. Anyway, if you're very particular about distortion you probably already have the sound you want in a pedal that you can attach.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Salt Fish posted:

I dunno if this is a joke or what, but I play a lot of metal and the gain on this amp is sufficient for most things. Especially when you play at volume it is pretty searing. I found that most review videos only push the gain to about 60% for whatever reason. Anyway, if you're very particular about distortion you probably already have the sound you want in a pedal that you can attach.

hah no I meant, do you have any pictures of it. I already have me a Sunn Lead red knob that runs my bass notes in my two piece.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So after being off the wagon for a while I recently started playing again. My tone was sounding great, then one day it got all fuzzy and quiet. I pulled my amp apart and found this (imgur album).

One tube seems to have completely lost the metal coating on its tip, which I guess means it's borked. The socket was damaged way back when I first got the amp, I plugged headphones into the headphone line out jack and unplugged the main speaker, which naturally (I say in hindsight) overloaded the tube and made it start arcing between pins. I took it to a guy who got it working again, but looking at it now with a bit more circuitry knowledge those look like cold solder joints, and that plus any insulation damage might contribute to the tube blowing now.

Or maybe it's just a 9-year-old tube.

Is it worth reflowing those solder joints so they look better? And what's the current go-to source/trusted supplier for replacement tubes?

Amp's a Crate V118-112, power tubes are EL84s.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I got my amp back with its nice new tubes and it has a killer tone, like god drat, but it has a really bad 60hz hum and I guess I need to take it back and complain. I'm pretty sure it's related to the tremolo circuit because sometimes it pulses with a speed in line with the speed on that circuit.

I don't wanna take it back again though :saddowns:

e: But holy mother gently caress the TONEZ

e2: Nevermind, it all seems to have been fixed by popping all the tubes out and giving their sockets a good canned air fwooshing :hellyeah:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 5, 2016

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, I looked and looked, but couldn't find a 2x12 I liked for a good price. But a fortunate thing happened in that I traded my Beta Lead for a really fantastic partscaster (alder tele body, reverse American strat neck, dual Gibson humbuckers, custom cut pickguard, very nicely put together) and a set of new in the box celestion v30s. So then I picked up a Seismic 2x12 and popped some of those in it and I have a wonderful new cabinet!

Very impressed with the quality of the Seismic. Super nice wood and tolex, and cool that it was all pre wired.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, I looked and looked, but couldn't find a 2x12 I liked for a good price. But a fortunate thing happened in that I traded my Beta Lead for a really fantastic partscaster (alder tele body, reverse American strat neck, dual Gibson humbuckers, custom cut pickguard, very nicely put together) and a set of new in the box celestion v30s. So then I picked up a Seismic 2x12 and popped some of those in it and I have a wonderful new cabinet!

Very impressed with the quality of the Seismic. Super nice wood and tolex, and cool that it was all pre wired.

if you plan on touring, baby those cabs. I had a friend buy two of their 215s to have them literally fall apart.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Smash it Smash hit posted:

if you plan on touring, baby those cabs. I had a friend buy two of their 215s to have them literally fall apart.

I'll be careful - the places we play can be kind of rough. Still seems more solid than literally every other 2x12 I looked at, except for Orange. I was really unimpressed with the Marshalls once I started messing with them and rolling them around - super cheap on everything. But for the price I figure it was a good deal. Appreciate the heads up, tho.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if a car crashes into an orange cab, i'd be more worried about the car

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

So after being off the wagon for a while I recently started playing again. My tone was sounding great, then one day it got all fuzzy and quiet. I pulled my amp apart and found this (imgur album).

One tube seems to have completely lost the metal coating on its tip, which I guess means it's borked. The socket was damaged way back when I first got the amp, I plugged headphones into the headphone line out jack and unplugged the main speaker, which naturally (I say in hindsight) overloaded the tube and made it start arcing between pins. I took it to a guy who got it working again, but looking at it now with a bit more circuitry knowledge those look like cold solder joints, and that plus any insulation damage might contribute to the tube blowing now.

Or maybe it's just a 9-year-old tube.

Is it worth reflowing those solder joints so they look better? And what's the current go-to source/trusted supplier for replacement tubes?

Amp's a Crate V118-112, power tubes are EL84s.

First, it should look good. If they look like cold solder joints, they very well might be, and those act... well, they're weird. My amp (Sunn 300T) had all kinds of quirks that I just dealt with until one day, it was all distorted--not in a good way--and barely worked. Later, it'd just make horrible, quiet audio oscillator noises until it was turned off. They gave it new power tubes but found dozens of cold solder joints, and when those were fixed, even the "quirks" my amp had before were gone. (Quirks like the direct out not working, or only working on the low-Z output, or only working on the high-Z output, other features not working all the time, etc.) So if you think those are bad, have them fixed.

But if you're not an amp tech, don't try it yourself. That ain't no stereo you're looking at. That's a tube guitar amp that probably has enough power floating around in it right now to murder you.

As for a tube store, I have used thetubestore.com when I need 6550's, and I've never been disappointed. They are knowledgeable, too, so if you have questions, they can help. You can often buy the same tubes that Groove Tubes (or whoever) will sell you as re-branded, but from closer to the source so you're not paying for the mark-up.

Also, that metal coating on the inside of the tube that's all shiny is actually useful: it oxidizes stray atoms that might be in the tube after the air is removed, and if that vacuum is compromised, it immediately oxidizes, resulting in what you shared a picture of. So yeah, that tube is borked.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

tarlibone posted:

But if you're not an amp tech, don't try it yourself. That ain't no stereo you're looking at. That's a tube guitar amp that probably has enough power floating around in it right now to murder you.

Because of the capacitors? Yeah, I made sure to short all those out before I let my hands anywhere near any of the joints. I'm aware of the sort of voltages those circuits can get up to, I don't gently caress around with electrons.

I'll grab new tubes too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Mike Fortin has left Randall if anyone cares.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Anyone have any experience with Vox's handwired stuff?

I have a AC30, and I like it, but I figure I don't play stadiums, so I probably don't need the wattage. Looking at dropping down to a 15 watt handwired, but no where has one for me to test out.

So anyways, experience or opinions on the matter?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Bananana posted:

Anyone have any experience with Vox's handwired stuff?

I have a AC30, and I like it, but I figure I don't play stadiums, so I probably don't need the wattage. Looking at dropping down to a 15 watt handwired, but no where has one for me to test out.

So anyways, experience or opinions on the matter?

Great for cleans. Takes to pedals extremely well. Only changed the tubes once in like 5 years. If you want to have a go-to combo for cleans without spending a fortune in either a vintage or a boutique amp, this fucker's got you covered.

From what I've been told, not the most reliable amp to take on the road unless you have a guitar tech or the downtime for maintenance, but I've used mine in the studio with no problems so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Wark Say posted:

Great for cleans. Takes to pedals extremely well. Only changed the tubes once in like 5 years. If you want to have a go-to combo for cleans without spending a fortune in either a vintage or a boutique amp, this fucker's got you covered.

From what I've been told, not the most reliable amp to take on the road unless you have a guitar tech or the downtime for maintenance, but I've used mine in the studio with no problems so far.

Excellent. Exactly what I'm looking for. Now, to sell my AC30...