Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Two Kings posted:

I gotta keep working Boff. I spent too much money on stools for ma home theater.

sonos bawf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Driving the (mini) grave digger boff

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
I suspect Fafa Foohi is going to need to ebay some of those pieces of vinyl he has sooner than later. I'll give him $20 for 50 Ways To Rank Your Mother.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Then again, when/if he retires, Mary will just make him do twice as many chores.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Guys/girls... for real, I've been to Vegas and was bored :ohdear:

It was for work and my wife (then-gf) wasn't able to come with me, so I was on my own.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Kinda suspect that Howie is deadset on Sirius caving last minute and offering him the money he wants when in reality its not going to happen leaving him the one who will be forced to blink. Whether or not the show continues elsewhere, if a deal isn't reached with Sirius then this poo poo is going to end next week extremely awkwardly as I wouldn't be surprised if he got a major rude awakening behind the scenes that nobody could shield his ego from. And if they continue on elsewhere its not like he will have the 6-12 months to aggressive promote it like he did before going to satellite so that would increase the odds of the next possible endeavor being DOA unless he spent a ton on some kind of promotional media blitz which ain't happening.

If he was actually completely decided on retiring there's no way in hell that the show would be ending with such a whimper. Recalling how much of a spectacle was made out of his 60th birthday party I imagine he would be making quite a big deal about ending what has been his life's work and that he is forever the King of All Media blah blah baba booey while getting verbally sucked off by the staff sycophants and Hamptons celebrities over the course of 10-12 shows building up to some sort of finale.

Should be interesting, but I'm expecting either a trainwreck (or next week to be Mammary Lane without explanation, but I'm guessing that would legally not be an possible due to breach of contract). We'll see.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's kind of sad, really. The Sirius jump, as stated, had months of promotion, and it happened at what, the height of his career basically? Like if anything would convince people to pay for Howard content, it was early 2000s when he had a couple solid decades of quality content behind him and a massive following, not to mention constantly making headlines for FCC fines and outrages. If he drops something new literally next week, it would be a disaster. Even longtime fans note the extreme drop in quality the show has seen, promotion would be impossible and he would be "making GBS threads in the wind" or whatever he calls it, when anybody decides to start up a new podcast-type endeavor, there's just so much white noise for that poo poo and if he thinks for a second he has any clout in that field after making GBS threads on it relentlessly for like a decade he's in for a rude awakening. Nobody will promote that poo poo, so unless he's appearing on talk shows (and even then, do people care enough for him to be a guest?) he's gonna be, yup, DOA.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
This is how the show ends, not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

After 30+ years of various levels of radio fame, if he's not continuing, this whole thing is surreal. Could he really be just... stopping?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
He's not done without getting a big farewell first. If you think for a second he doesn't want what Letterman got, lol

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of Stern fans have a hard time wrapping their heads around the fact that the guy is in his 60s and has more money than god. The show has been slowly petering out since Artie tried to kill himself, and its been a long time since Howard the egomaniac or Howard the attention whore has reared its head to the mass-market - even something like AGT was always just a cushy paycheck. I can totally see Howard quietly going off the air for good and spending the rest of his life surrounded by blind cats and his dopey wife in their house with 47 chimneys.

If you think about it - what would a celebration of his career even be at this point? Most of the old guard like Joan Rivers or Gilbert are either dead or not welcome. The whack pack is old and tired. Jackie's reunion was done during the last K-Rock days. Billy wants nothing to do with him. Stuttering John is banned. Tom is retired. The Howard TV crew were all burned by the layoff a few years ago and already scattered around the country. Revisiting landmark bits or segments is a no-go since most of that has either been white-washed or hidden away. I guess you could repeat the birthday show and have a bunch of celebrities sit around and jerk Howard off but even that feels a bit anticlimactic.

Personally I think he will be back with Sirius (in more of a part-time gig), and I do think there's enough left of the old grandstanding Howard to make a big fuss about it if he were really retiring, but I also don't think it would be crazy if he left one day for good with little fanfare. Hell, in keeping with most of his career maybe that would be one of the most original and 'shocking' things he could do.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

This motherfucker better give us at least one more Beetlejuice appearance

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

This motherfucker better give us at least one more Beetlejuice appearance

Could be.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Caper posted:

Howard 100 & 101 is just going to be gone one morning, as a big gently caress You to fans that have been loyal to him for 30-something years.

Advice posted:

Did we get confirmation that these are the last few shows today? I tuned in to hear Howard talking about holiday plays, and he said something about "hearing us as much as you can, before....we sort of... fade off into the ether.". Robin commented on it, and he quickly got off the topic, there was a bit of dead air for a bit and they started in on something else.

BobbyK posted:

Back in high school if you had told me the Stern show would go out with such a pathetic whimper I would have never believed you.

To be fair, this is usually how radio shows go off the air: just one day, they're gone. It sucks, but it's not something brand new.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

To be fair, this is usually how radio shows go off the air: just one day, they're gone. It sucks, but it's not something brand new.

I like the idea of the entire channel being replaced with a lovely soft hits/AC format overnight with no notice. Howard is just gone one day and gets replaced with a morning zoo crew hosted by Shuli. It would be the most radio conclusion to Howard's career possible.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Or a show where they have people that just play clips from past shows and then talk about it.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I believe gillian barbarie said he re signed on her twitter. Im on my phone and cant check right now.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Keg posted:

I like the idea of the entire channel being replaced with a lovely soft hits/AC format overnight with no notice. Howard is just gone one day and gets replaced with a morning zoo crew hosted by Shuli. It would be the most radio conclusion to Howard's career possible.

Except they already did that as an April Fools prank back on KROCK and it was awesome.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Transmodiar posted:

Except they already did that as an April Fools prank back on KROCK and it was awesome.

They did this once at Sirius. They had the DJs for channel 1 or whatever do their usual show at 6am.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

JB50 posted:

I believe gillian barbarie said he re signed on her twitter. Im on my phone and cant check right now.

She was responding to someone's question, basically, "do you think Howard will retire or sign a new contract?", and her response was "new contract".

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The show's not ending with wonderfully fresh bits like Flat Ronnie in the fires. But seriously, someone should tell Howard there's such a thing as Photoshop. I guess he's thinking that it's a way to throw a show reference in during a live event, but it doesn't beat the elegance of some jerk just yelling "Baba Booey" over a newscaster's shoulders or during an announcer's play-by-play.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

GenoCanSing posted:

She went from Turner to Hooch.
:golfclap:

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Top shelv ligger

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

parthenocarpy posted:

Top shelv ligger

DOUCHE

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Dumbfuck! I am not radioactive, you dipshit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Riosan posted:

*sound of active Geiger counter increases*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Riosan posted:

Eric the ... DUMB, stupid, retarded, lovely, radioactive, penis, who is better than anyone!

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...omepage%2Fstory

Front page article about Howard on the Washington Post, it doesn't really tell us anything new except

quote:

"Howard has become a lot of the things that he always told people not to become,” says comedian Jackie “The Joke Man” Martling, who left Stern’s show in 2001. When Martling’s cat Timmy died in the ’90s, Stern relentlessly teased his distraught staffer. But these days, with his second wife, model and animal lover Beth Ostrosky, Stern is sheltering 18 cats in his house and has been known to tend personally to a sick cat’s backside with baby wipes. The shock jock who once held nothing sacred has mellowed in a most dramatic way.

“There’s nothing wrong with change,” former “Howard Stern Show” staffer “Stuttering” John Melendez said this fall on a podcast, “but the old Howard would probably goof on the new Howard now.”...

Artie Lange, the comedian and “Howard Stern Show” staffer who left the program in 2009 amid drug problems, sees Stern’s evolution as a professional and even an artistic choice. On his podcast, Lange has devoted several segments highlighting the contrast between the past and present Sterns.

“I think Howard had gotten bored with the rebellious thing,” Lange said in an interview. He recalled being stunned by Stern’s masterful interviewing technique when Paul McCartney appeared on the show in 2001. “I think he said to himself, ‘I’d like to examine that part of my skill set that is great at these interviews.’ ” Lange thinks Stern wanted to leave a legacy, to be the “guy who leaves behind the best catalogue of celebrity interviews of all time . . . ‘I’ve got McCartney, and maybe if I change my tune I’ll get Brad Pitt on there.’ ”

Is Stern stepping up his game or just going soft? Lange makes an unlikely comparison to Bob Dylan, who alienated his earliest folk-music fans when he went electric. It’s the artist’s prerogative to evolve, he said, even if Lange himself prefers the “childish, politically incorrect humor” of the old days.

Some months ago, Lange found himself listening to the show from the back of a hired car as Stern failed to mock sufficiently a guest grieving the death of his guinea pig. The driver couldn’t believe it and turned around to say so. Howard Stern, nice guy? From the back seat, Lange started ripping on the bereaved guest; the driver had to pull over on the Long Island Expressway because he was laughing so hard. “I was doing the old show for one guy in a Town Car on a shoulder of the LIE,” he says.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Riosan posted:

Front page article about Howard on the Washington Post, it doesn't really tell us anything new except

So Howard's checks didn't clear in time?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
A Hasidic Jew was charged with aggravated assault as a hate crime because he beat up Elegant Elliot Offen and yelled homophobic slurs at him(probably because Elliot was in drag).

I find all of this hilarious.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Riosan posted:

You know Marci Turk arranged that story because her name isn't mentioned anywhere.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Crotch Bat posted:

A Hasidic Jew was charged with aggravated assault as a hate crime because he beat up Elegant Elliot Offen and yelled homophobic slurs at him(probably because Elliot was in drag).

I find all of this hilarious.

That guy is gonna be sent to The Big House, that's gangster talk for Jail right!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I thought Elliot was already in the big house for that light bulb scam he was involved in rigggght?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Maybe Elliot will sue him for TWENTY FIVE DIIIIIIIMES!!!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Squash that beef with seventy-five hundred cash, riiiight? GANGSTER TALK!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress Elliot Offen.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Riosan posted:

This is probably the most apt description for the show's change I've ever heard. Blame Marci Turk, blame Howard's age, blame Beth, blame whatever you want, but the facts are Howard is unwilling to act the way he used to. Problem is, millions of fans loved the way the show was, and changing it is going to weed out everyone but the Mariannes who just want to jerk off Howard and support literally anything he does, from adopting cats to going all milquetoast for America's Got Talent.

I wish I could have been in that car. Artie is at his best when he feels supported and loved, oddly enough for someone whose humor is so aggressive and demeaning, he really only goes both barrels when he has the go-ahead. He hasn't really been as funny since he had a room full of people cheering him on, and especially respect from someone he admires (father issues, anyone?), i.e. Howard employing him. Must have sucked to have been dumped by his father figure.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
My mom was cooking and there was some leftover provolone and she wrapped it in cellophane and it said $9.99 on the provolone. She goes "You gotta return this for Howard". It was used provolone, though. So I go to the deli and I go "I gotta return this" and the guy goes "What are you talking about? This is used." and I go "I gotta. I gotta return it for Howard." He goes "i don't care who... it's used." and I said "Please, I'll give you money to return it". Like, I wanted to pay him. and he says "No, I can't." I got real nervous and I go "But if it doesn't happen, then this is what will happen to me." There was a poster on the wall in the deli. I don't remember what the poster was. It was some magic marker just scribbled. And when I pulled the poster down there was a picture of guns and knives. And then I woke up.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Well that's it. We hired a stalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
LOL at Sal speaking Italian today, he runs through his bullshit with such conviction.