Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hated every single minute of Funny People, now that I think of it I don't know why I didn't turn it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
One of the things I've gotten better at as I get older is turning poo poo off. My wife and I have been enjoying The Blacklist because we like James Spader's performance in it, so we decided to check out some of his older stuff.

Secretary got about 25 minutes of our life before we turned it off. What a shitpile that movie is.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Memento posted:

One of the things I've gotten better at as I get older is turning poo poo off. My wife and I have been enjoying The Blacklist because we like James Spader's performance in it, so we decided to check out some of his older stuff.

Secretary got about 25 minutes of our life before we turned it off. What a shitpile that movie is.

I agree with your sentiment, but Secretary was worth a watch. It's weird and creepy, but the acting is superb. It's like Night Crawler in a way.

Generally though, I hells of agree. It's like when people say "oh don't worry, it gets good by season 3". gently caress if I'm going to watch 3 seasons before it gets good.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Generally though, I hells of agree. It's like when people say "oh don't worry, it gets good by season 3". gently caress if I'm going to watch 3 seasons before it gets good.

I normally agree with this, but I've been telling whoever will listen to me to watch Season 1 of The Leftovers so that they can see Season 2

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

I normally agree with this, but I've been telling whoever will listen to me to watch Season 1 of The Leftovers so that they can see Season 2

I actually watched all of Season 1 because I was bored & hoping for something to latch onto at the time. I think I understand that the event will never be explained, but I just hate every single character. I get that the event hosed everyone up & I shouldn't expect them to act rationally whatever, but they are just not my kind of people. Except perhaps Christopher Eccleston's priest, he had some heart.

I especially did not like the cop and his family. I'll say I got some guilty enjoyment from that horrible person being killed with rocks.

How do you envisage my theoretical enjoyment of season 2, if I were to watch it?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I ranged from disliking to being "okay" with the show and Season 2 was great. From the very first episode they introduce a brand new family in a new, interesting location. The Garvey's are still there, but Jill (daughter) is a background character and Kevin + Matt (priest) get a lot more screen time. Kevin is much more interesting, as is Nora.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a much more refined version of LOST, as if Lindelof had written LOST as a high school senior then Season 2 a decade later.

The only bad part is that Dog Man ("Hey... wanna go shoot some dawgs?") is one of the cut characters.

I almost didn't tune in to it but when I watched the first two episodes I immediately went into the thread and called everyone assholes for not pming me to tell me how good it was, now I'm spreading the Good Word :tipshat:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I did not care for the dog man either. All in all those things sound like I'll try and ep or two, but if I don't like it I will gently caress you up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You know where to find me! :mad:

(Booty Thread in GBS)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I feel like I have disproven myself.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I don't know what that means just go and watch Season 2 of The Leftovers

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Not right now jeez, give me at least a couple days or something. I got poo poo to do.

I meant that I started out complaining about people wanting me to watch just a little more, and now you've convinced me to watch just a little more. Mine petard hath hoisted me.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Not right now jeez, give me at least a couple days or something. I got poo poo to do.

I meant that I started out complaining about people wanting me to watch just a little more, and now you've convinced me to watch just a little more. Mine petard hath hoisted me.

Those people were stupid, I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me to watch Season 1 because it got better.

But I'm Professor Shark telling you to watch Season 2 because it's better, and if you don't believe me Google "The Leftovers Season 2 Better" and you'll quickly see that most critics agree and that the change in quality was unexpectedly awesome

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

Those people were stupid, I wouldn't have believed anyone who told me to watch Season 1 because it got better.

But I'm Professor Shark telling you to watch Season 2 because it's better, and if you don't believe me Google "The Leftovers Season 2 Better" and you'll quickly see that most critics agree and that the change in quality was unexpectedly awesome

Pretty sure you can even google like "Star Wars New Trilogy Better" and find arguments for that, so nice try. Also you're starting to dissuade me. You seem too invested in me watching it.

totally losing my mime
Aug 3, 2012

The quiet can scrape
All the calm from your bones.
But maybe it should.
Maybe we need to be hollowed
To get up and grow,
And stop fucking around,
To kick off our braces and start straightening out
Fun Shoe

Mierenneuker posted:

The Wedding Singer has not one, but two fabulous Buscemi scenes AND Billy Idol on top of all that. Mandatory viewing now that I think of it.

Don't forget Lovitz

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I agree with your sentiment, but Secretary was worth a watch. It's weird and creepy, but the acting is superb. It's like Night Crawler in a way.

Secretary is my favorite role for both James Spader and Maggie Gyllenhaal (which, okay, isn't nearly as impressive as Spader's). They both just completely nail it despite the bizarre script. It's a deeply uncomfortable movie but really fantastic artistically.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ron Roenicke posted:

Don't forget Lovitz

Fun(?) Jon Lovitz/Happy Madison productions fact:

He was supposed to be peeping at the little boy, rather than his mother when he fell out of the tree straight to hell in Little Nicky.

That was apparently too gross for audiences so they added the hot mom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Then they would later make That's My Boy, which everyone knows is about a student/teacher relationship but I bet you didn't know that it's also all about incest.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jon Lovitz is cool imo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070813010926/http://stu.wccnet.org/~dlane24/whatadick.swf

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
To be fair, I always recommend that you power through 1st season of Trailer Park Boys because season 1 is ok, but season 2 is where it gets really good.

But season 1 is only 6 half hour episodes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Then they would later make That's My Boy, which everyone knows is about a student/teacher relationship but I bet you didn't know that it's also all about incest.

That was grosser than GoT

If only because you feel bad for the chump she's cheating on and nobody really liked King Fatass Baratheon

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kizudarake posted:

To be fair, I always recommend that you power through 1st season of Trailer Park Boys because season 1 is ok, but season 2 is where it gets really good.

But season 1 is only 6 half hour episodes.

True, but it's a comedy series with some continuity. You can hook people with a random great episode without having to worry about explaining tons of relationships..

Like Always Sunny, you can basically skip the first season and watch it later. It's like a pilot season. There's some good stuff, but it isn't until Frank is introduced that it really gets good. I like to show newcomers "Who Pooped the Bed" because it's so strange, and the wolf-hair/credit cards/inconclusive bit.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Always be watching Trailer Park Boys.

And yeah it is a lot like Always Sunny, meets Cops, initially.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

syscall girl posted:

That was grosser than GoT

If only because you feel bad for the chump she's cheating on and nobody really liked King Fatass Baratheon

But it was worth it for "He's a modern jazz dancer." "What? Thats possibly worse than the incest thing!"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cat Hatter posted:

But it was worth it for "He's a modern jazz dancer." "What? Thats possibly worse than the incest thing!"

Got perma'd from GiP for pretending to be a marine

Gross, dude

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Pretty sure you can even google like "Star Wars New Trilogy Better" and find arguments for that, so nice try. Also you're starting to dissuade me. You seem too invested in me watching it.

Yeah I don't care I just like talking about a show I like, you should watch it if you like good TV shows

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah I don't care I just like talking about a show I like, you should watch it if you like good TV shows

Actually re quality TV have you watched The Knick?

Here's a detail to bring it back on topic too, it's 100% diegetic light

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm all over The Knick, best thing Clive Owen has ever done imo, can't get enough of those beat up white leather booties (shoes)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Leftovers season 2 is amazing

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
The Leftovers season two is one of the best things ever put on film. I'm actually a bit disappointed they got picked up for a third and final season because it can't be as strong as season two.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I got as far as the Two Boats and a Helicopter episode in season 1 (that episode was amazing) but the rest of the episodes were way too depressing. God the first minutes of the first episode tore me up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

brick cow posted:

The Leftovers season two is one of the best things ever put on film. I'm actually a bit disappointed they got picked up for a third and final season because it can't be as strong as season two.

It's crazy to think that Season 1 was a solid C when Season 2 was an easy A

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I guess I need to watch season 2 but it's still hard for me to get past Justin Theroux weeping over a burnt bagel or the woman who lost her family hiring prostitutes to shoot her in the chest while blasting Slayer.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

or the woman who lost her family hiring prostitutes to shoot her in the chest while blasting Slayer.
Wait....what? Now I need to check out Leftovers. Besides the fact that some of it was filmed locally.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Ape of Naples posted:

Wait....what? Now I need to check out Leftovers. Besides the fact that some of it was filmed locally.

It was about as unintentionally hilarious as it gets. Especially because they picked Angel of Death.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
This maybe wasn't too subtle but I didn't pick up on it until the second time I saw it but in The Force Awakens:

When Kylo Ren is interrogating Rey using the force and she says "Get out of my mind", he immediately moves his hand away and is unable to read any more of her thoughts after that - she used the jedi mind trick on him without either of them realising it had happend.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pilchenstein posted:

This maybe wasn't too subtle but I didn't pick up on it until the second time I saw it but in The Force Awakens:

When Kylo Ren is interrogating Rey using the force and she says "Get out of my mind", he immediately moves his hand away and is unable to read any more of her thoughts after that - she used the jedi mind trick on him without either of them realising it had happend.

That's "subtle" as in "the entire point of the scene".
Still cool, though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Inzombiac posted:

That's "subtle" as in "the entire point of the scene".
Still cool, though.

In a similar vein, but something I've seen a lot of people miss, the Starkiller base isn't a fully artificial space station like the Death Star, only bigger. It's a giant-rear end base the First Order carved into a pre-existing planet.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Don't they outright state that in the movie?

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

In a similar vein, but something I've seen a lot of people miss, the Starkiller base isn't a fully artificial space station like the Death Star, only bigger. It's a giant-rear end base the First Order carved into a pre-existing planet.

How is that subtle? Space stations don't have trees and snow on the surface :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's his joke you nimboids.