Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't that where Machine Man came from? (And I'm sure is why Uatu's portals in Earth-X look like Monoliths)
Yes, his first appearance is 2001 #8, and then after #10, Kirby moved right over to write and draw Machine Man #1-9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Isn't the point of a gun that you don't have to come dangerously close to someone to subdue them?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC tarot card art by Sara Richards
http://www.craveonline.com/art/922389-exclusive-first-look-dc-comics-justice-league-tarot-card-deck
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/11/25/exclusive-sara-richard-reveals-the-mysteries-of-the-justice-league-tarot-deck

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Guy with the mustache looks like he's about to throw up, like they're showing 2Girls1Cup on the screen or something.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

Guy with the mustache looks like he's about to throw up, like they're showing 2Girls1Cup on the screen or something.

That's what happens when you see hosed up moon poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I Before E posted:

That's what happens when you see hosed up moon poo poo

Serious request to change this to the thread title.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Serious request to change this to the thread title.

Post Good/Bad Comic Art And Also hosed Up Moon poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah: Post Good/Bad Comic Art - That's what happens when you see hosed up moon poo poo

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

davidspackage posted:

Isn't the point of a gun that you don't have to come dangerously close to someone to subdue them?

- Me every time I watch a martial arts movie

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Seems like someone hasn't heard of gun-kata.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

- Me every time I watch a martial arts movie
That's why I preferred Dredd to The Raid. There's no faffing around with fancy martial arts; Dredd just shoots people until he runs out of ammo, only resorting to brutally beating them to death in order to get more ammo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Payndz posted:

That's why I preferred Dredd to The Raid. There's no faffing around with fancy martial arts; Dredd just shoots people until he runs out of ammo, only resorting to brutally beating them to death in order to get more ammo.

While I like both movies, I prefer The Raid more just because they started using bullets first and then resorted to crazy martial arts second.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Payndz posted:

Dredd has way too much CGI in it for me, plus it has the unfortunate stain of being way too close in plot and setting to The Raid. Awesome physical stunts and choreography beats CGI any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kolFKGjvcs

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

(Avengers Spotlight #22)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Greg Capullo's been working longer than I thought.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
It's like a meth faced robot master from mega man. :catstare:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

That's why he's such a valuable member of the Avengers. He can see trouble coming from multiple directions at once.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Huh. I did not know that Cactus drew The Avengers.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jiro posted:

Dredd has way too much CGI in it for me, plus it has the unfortunate stain of being way too close in plot and setting to The Raid. Awesome physical stunts and choreography beats CGI any day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kolFKGjvcs

I love both equally - just think of them as movies in the same mini-genre, not as one ripping off the other. Other notable ones are the last section of Punisher: War Zone, Assault on Precinct 13 (the 1976 version), and the French movie The Nest (which is basically a French remake of Precinct 13 but in a warehouse).

The Raid 2 was disappointing though. No idea why they just decided to make a bog-standard martial arts movie as the sequel. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jiro posted:

Dredd has way too much CGI in it for me, plus it has the unfortunate stain of being way too close in plot and setting to The Raid.

It's actually the other way round; Gareth Edwards heard about Dredd when he was making The Raid and thought "poo poo, we'd better get out first". Which he did. But neither movie was influenced by the other.

Also you're totally wrong about Dredd.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Raid 2 has one of the best car chase scenes in recent memory, I recommend it based on that alone.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
The Raid 2 was a good action movie padded out with a little too much plot and dialogue. It's definitely worth watching, but it gets better the second time around when you know which parts to fast forward through.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Plus that scene with Mad Dog in the snow, plus everything with hammer girl and baseball bat dude. Raid 2 rules, now that I think about it.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Travis343 posted:

The Raid 2 has one of the best car chase scenes in recent memory, I recommend it based on that alone.

the way they filmed that car scene is fuckin mental, if it's the one i'm thinking about
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kutD5VHUF9U

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Raid 2 has action scenes that are just as good/better than the first movie, but sadly they are attached to a movie with an over-bloated storyline. It was almost like over compensation of plot between the first one and the second one.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maybe it was the fact that I watched The Raid in HD at home, and The Raid 2 in an older theater, but but I found the action scenes jittery and hard to follow in The Raid 2 - they also gave my wife motion sickness. I hope to watch it again in better quality later (fast-forwarding past the uninspired crime drama parts of course).

Also why call it The Raid 2 when there wasn't a raid :mad:

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

...the action scenes...in The Raid 2... gave my wife...sickness

Ya these movies arent for ladies buddy

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toadstrieb posted:

Go gently caress yourself

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Travis343 posted:

Go gently caress yourself

:bigtran: :boom: :vince:

my apologies

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Toadstrieb posted:

You are aware that it's 2015, yes?

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Chaos Hippy posted:

You are aware that it's 2015, yes?

This was 100% meant as a joke. The dumb edit that I posted just popped into my mind while I was reading :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Toadstrieb posted:

This was 100% meant as a joke. The dumb edit that I posted just popped into my mind while I was reading :smith:

Yeah your joke kinda landed with a thud there dude.

She can't watch 3d movies because of her glasses, and anything shaky-cam gives her a headache.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah your joke kinda landed with a thud there dude.

That's an understatement. I am laughing at how low-level awkward this situation has become tho.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MAYBE YOUR LADY SHOULD STICK TO MAKING SANDWICHES AND VACUUMING

I mean if you're gonna go there you may as well go all the way.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

https://mobile.twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/675175795355197441/photo/1

Saw this today and laughed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I'm not sure where this panel is from - is it Liefeld, or an odd tribute?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Red posted:

I'm not sure where this panel is from - is it Liefeld, or an odd tribute?

It appears, from context, that that page is from Fantastic Four Unlimited #3, September, 1993.

The credited penciler is - I poo poo you not - Herb Trimpe.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It appears, from context, that that page is from Fantastic Four Unlimited #3, September, 1993.

The credited penciler is - I poo poo you not - Herb Trimpe.

There was a rumor for many years that he was doing it because Marvel insisted he ape Liefeld's style, but it turns out Trimpe just felt like doing it (and regarded it as his best work for some baffling reason):

quote:

I’ve been asked that question before, with some fans going so far as to feel sorry for the way Marvel made me change my style. Unfortunately, these were misdirected sympathies.

Truth was, it was a lark–but a lark with a purpose, all devised by myself. No one at Marvel suggested I change the way I draw or ink. I looked at the new guys’ stuff, and thought, hey, this is great. Very exciting. You can always learn from somebody else, no matter how long you’ve been doing a thing.

I did, however, think the style might lead to new work at a time when Marvel was already in trouble, and it did. FF Unlimited was my last series at Marvel, and contrary to what a lot of fans think, I think it was the best work I’d done–and, I had a whole lot of fun doing it. Very expressive. I think the newer influences in comic book art brought out a better me. Like I said, most of the fans of the earlier stuff would not agree. On one occasion, I inked a whole story with a brush, which is what I was raised on, and the editor objected asking me not to do that anymore. But in general, no one pressured me into a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Funny that Thing in that last panel makes a comment about people not needing helmets, considering his has disappeared.