Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
:golfclap:

So one episode down, four more to go. Anyone whose never played, you're in for a real treat.

I remember when this game first came out, it had been preempted by the Telltale Game of Thrones game which I'd bought entirely when it came out...If I can say one thing its that what Tales from the Borderlands gets right and comes together to make a fantastic game and Telltale experience, the Game of Thrones game does not.

So when this game came out, I'd been a little burned by Telltale, so I watched the first episode on YouTube and though, "okay, this looks fantastic, but I'm still cautious" So once episode 2 was released I watched another YouTube video of it...And after seeing the opening sequence of Episode 2 of this game, I was hooked, I stopped YouTube, bought the game and then furiously played the first two episodes and then sat on pins and needles for the remaining episodes to get released. Once Kaubocks releases that episode I think you'll all see why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the title card for episode 2 is arguably one of my favorite moments of the whole game, or at least it's the first time in the game I started furiously mashing the screenshot button

gonna be a couple vids until I get there though. I'd love to end #2-1 on it but due to video lengths and choices I want to leave up to the viewers I decided to push it back a bit. should have #2-1 ready for Friday, though!!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

IMJack posted:

I want to know how he lost his original arm and eye. Did an office meeting go completely to hell?

As far as I'm aware, this never comes up in the game. I think a Dev strongly implied somewhere that it was a voluntary procedure that he did in order to get a leg up on the competition and it does seem both useful and popular around Helios (Vasquez has a robo-pinky finger for no apparent reason). That said, I think the popular fan theory is that the eye was voluntary but something happened to his arm. Make up your own story :shrug:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

CuwiKhons posted:

(Vasquez has a robo-pinky finger for no apparent reason)

I.

What?

Guess I'm watching at least the first video again.

Edit: holy poo poo he totally does

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 9, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

RickVoid posted:

I.

What?

Guess I'm watching at least the first video again.

Edit: holy poo poo he totally does

It's on his left hand. His left, our right.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So here's another thing about this game that I dig the poo poo out of: In the actual BL games, there are a number of different companies that make the guns and items you use, and how your gun looks and shoots changes depending on the manufacturer. There's actually a fairly okay guide up on Steam that goes over the differences, which you can check out here, but the important thing to take away is that each manufacturer has a certain unique look to their gear. Hyperion stuff, for example, is all shiny metal, hard angles, and futuristic looking.

Now go back and look at Rhys' arm and Vasquez' augmetic finger.

Telltale nailed the loving art on this game.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I think my favorite character from Episode One is the Race Guard voiced by Nolan North. So matter of fact and sarcastic, you would never imagine he was a mentally scarred individual abandoned on this planet by some nameless corporation and forcing himself to make his living through violence and banditry. In fact, he sounds very perky.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I bet Vasquez's robo-pinky is a laser pointer. Possibly just a laser.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I never noticed Vasquez has a mechanical pinky :magical:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Kaubocks posted:

I never noticed Vasquez has a mechanical pinky :magical:

I saw it, but assumed it was just massive ring bling, which would fit a self-obsessed jackass like Vazquez. I thought he would be too vain to lose a finger, but then again, it's the most useless finger on his left hand. It's literally the least he could lose.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
This is totally a universe where someone would purposefully chop something off to replace it with something cooler.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Man, I'd get an eye removed for a robo-eye.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
In my playthrough, I let Felix get exploded by the briefcase... looking forward to seeing him show up again in future episodes. I assume he's going to do that, at the very least. I really should get around to finishing the series...

Fake edit: and I bet Rhys' robot arm and eye are a part of his Hyperion contract, and if he ever tried to leave there'd be a team of corporate security types there to reclaim them. As soon as the company officially realises he's gone, they'd probably hit the shutdown switch. Good thing we've got someone up on Helios taking care of that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Elfface posted:

In my playthrough, I let Felix get exploded by the briefcase... looking forward to seeing him show up again in future episodes. I assume he's going to do that, at the very least. I really should get around to finishing the series...

Hell, I shot him and let him blow up. You don't gently caress with family, man.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
Sooo this LP convinced me to get the game while it was on sale a week back, and I don't regret it.

What I do regret was not tossing in my guess for who the Stranger was before finishing the game.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Ysengrin posted:

What I do regret was not tossing in my guess for who the Stranger was before finishing the game.

I dont. I had absolutely no idea who it could've been right until the unmasking and it was actually an amazing reveal. To say that I didn't see it coming is an understatement.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I've never played this particular game, but if there are any votes for helping the Smiling AI? gently caress him. gently caress. Jack. Hard. Let him die, let him get in massive pain, OR BETTERER YET, wipe his personality while he is online leaving only his corporate knowledge (RIP Felicity). Hoping the smart loader bots are because of Felicity

Yeah, I just got to that point in the Pre-Sequel and got sad.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Chalk me up as someone else who bought this game purely because of this LP and the following praise it's been getting. I'm even buying it at full price because I'm certain there will be spoilers in the upcoming Giantbomb Game Awards(TM) for this game and I need to experience it for myself!

Still gonna watch this LP for fun Borderlands tidbits! Thanks, Kaubocks!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

While I've got my fingers crossed that the Giant Bomb guys will secretly pull out a nomination for it, I'm not going to hold my breath. I've only heard them briefly mention the game twice in the vein of "I hear it's really good"... and one of those was recorded after they've already recorded all their GOTY stuff. :ohdear:

Still, I think it's a fantastic game and if you enjoyed the first episode I can't imagine you won't like the rest!

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I think the only Giant Bomb person who even played any of it was Austin playing episode 1 on his Extra Life stream.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Hot off the presses, it's a new video!

There's a kinda gross thing that happens in this video. There's a timestamp in the description if you'd prefer to skip it.

As usual, with a new video comes :siren:A NEW VOTE!!:siren:

There's a couple things I want to ask you about. The most obvious of which is the imminent danger. Do you think Sasha should help Fiona or do you think Sasha should help Rhys?

Another thing we need to deal with over the course of... well, pretty much the rest of the game... is Handsome Jack. Rhys can see him. Who can we trust with this information? Who can we open up to? Do you think Vaughn will be cool about it? Do you think he'll think we're crazy? Do you think he might try and turn us in to Hyperion as leverage? What about Fiona and Sasha? They clearly don't like Hyperion at all, let alone Handsome Jack. Do you think they'll take it lightly if we tell them we have his AI in our brain? There's no hard and fast choice about this-- this is just a general feeler I'm sending out concerning how you want me to handle telling people about Handsome Jack over the course of the game.

Voting ends Tuesday at 6PM Eastern.

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 13, 2015

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
There's nothing better than having a loaderbot for a friend. Also I really wouldn't have minded a longer video, just for the title sequence.

As for my vote, I think sisters look out for each other. I also think that Vaughn's a bro, and bros tell bros everything, bro. Including possibly killer AIs stuck in one's head. I think we should tell him as soon as we get another chance. The sisters? It's hard to say. I don't think enough trust has been built up for them to understand about Jack.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Fiona can take care of herself here, but I bet she considers that Hyperion twerp to be completely helpless. Sasha should help Rhys. Also, tell no one.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Don't tell anyone about Jack, but Sasha probably should check up on Fiona. Shamelessly just going to vote for things different than my game.

It's nice to see friendly Loaderbot that likes Rhys.

My game had a slightly different personality...

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
At least tell Vaughn. Even if he's just a money man, he's a Hyperion man and knows how scary Jack is. He also might be of the most use here. But expect that whoever we tell, Jack will know too.

Sisters before bros.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Fiona's got this, tell Sasha to help Rhys.

Oh, and tell everyone about Handsome Jack. Vaughn, Fiona, random bandits... Just constantly be dropping that in conversation.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Help Rhys. Maybe the bombardment will hit the Rack Hive?

Tell Vaughn. He's a bro to Rhys and less likely to think Rhys is going crazy.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Help Rhys. If Rhys can see, maybe he can lure the big nasty under one of those moonshots?

Tell Vaughn immediately, tell the sisters in due time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Help Rhys, tell no one.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There was a post earlier in the thread that said a mission was patched into Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel concerning Nakayama wanting to make an AI of Handsome Jack. I didn't know this! Which is weird because I play The Pre-Sequel more often than most people would care to admit but I just never ended up doing this sidequest! It isn't even really necessary because I could totally buy at face value that, yes, creating an AI Jack is absolutely something Nakayama would do and didn't feel like it needed to be explained.

Anywho I ended up doing that sidequest today. Turns out the very first prototype Jack AI was a tiny loader bot that waddles around projecting a hologram of Jack's head and proclaiming its desire to kill all humans:

They grow up so fast. :allears:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

I love how well your player titles suit you two. :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

There was a post earlier in the thread that said a mission was patched into Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel concerning Nakayama wanting to make an AI of Handsome Jack. I didn't know this! Which is weird because I play The Pre-Sequel more often than most people would care to admit but I just never ended up doing this sidequest! It isn't even really necessary because I could totally buy at face value that, yes, creating an AI Jack is absolutely something Nakayama would do and didn't feel like it needed to be explained.

Anywho I ended up doing that sidequest today. Turns out the very first prototype Jack AI was a tiny loader bot that waddles around projecting a hologram of Jack's head and proclaiming its desire to kill all humans:

They grow up so fast. :allears:

I think either the player or Nakayama asks it to do an impression of Jack and it just yells "NO", to which the real Jack says over ECHO "well that is a pretty good impression".

At any rate, ovaries before brovaries, Sasha should go help Fiona. And as for the Jack AI... I wouldn't tell anybody but Vaughn. Vaughn's your bro, you can always trust your bro, but Fiona and Sasha? Even if you do trust them, they're Pandorans with a lot of good reasons to hate Jack. Having Jack in your head is not exactly an endearing trait.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

CuwiKhons posted:

I think either the player or Nakayama asks it to do an impression of Jack and it just yells "NO", to which the real Jack says over ECHO "well that is a pretty good impression".

that's pretty much how it goes down

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Krysmphoenix posted:

I love how well your player titles suit you two. :allears:

this is definitely a game we're super good at and not one we've cheat engined so hard doors stopped working and cutscenes played at 20% speed

Anyway please SAVE RHYS because he's fuckkin driving this poo poo heap !!

Limopalise
May 4, 2015

A boring man. It's hard to tell what he's capable of.
Not ashamed to say I definitely skipped that... one bit. I could barely look at the screen in my playthrough, just pretty bad at handling stuff like that. Thanks for the timestamp.

Anyway, seeing where you're driving is important, so help Rhys.

Also tell everyone. Brag about that murderous psychopath in your head.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, this isn't even a hard vote at all.

Tell the entire group + ZER0 about Jack They're all pretty trustworthy and damned if they're going to act like it can't be possible when you're the only one with an Echo Eye/Holo lens? One of those is wrong I'm sure.

Also Sasha needs to help Rhys because two guns isn't going to make a radical amount of difference to that Rakk Hive and those Moonshots are still aiming for them and that busted up van is still their best bet of getting away from the Hive.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I far more trust Fiona to be able to protect herself than Rhys and she currently doesn't have a giant bat-thing trying to eat her. So Sasha would probably be better served helping Rhys and making sure he can drive them all out of there.

Also, I think Rhys can at the very least tell his best buddy Vaughn that he's got a crazy AI hanging out in his head. I don't really know much about Jack other than that he's a big deal and also a huge rear end in a top hat, but just the fact that he's a Hyperion CEO makes me think we shouldn't tell Sasha and Fiona about it. They might be mad.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Save Rhys, Fiona can take care of herself. Tell everyone because, uh, I didn't.
I think the eyeball scene was actaully what convinced me to stick with the game the whole way through.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 13, 2015

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Shieldhill posted:

Fiona's got this, tell Sasha to help Rhys.

Oh, and tell everyone about Handsome Jack. Vaughn, Fiona, random bandits... Just constantly be dropping that in conversation.
This plan is a good plan. Nothing can possibly go wrong with this plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Sasha should help Rhys, because otherwise Rhys will crash the drat vehicle, AND they'll have to handle the Hive. Not fun. At least if Rhys drives, they could possibly boost soon.

Who can we trust with this information? Vaughn. He'll think we're crazy but could be brought to see reason/hey it's an AI. And don't tell Fiona, I don't think the leader of The Saints needs to know this info.

• Locked thread