Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Nexus Mod Manager seems to work fine for me so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Broose posted:

Why why why isn't there just a standardized program to install mods with?

Now there are several standardised programs to install mods with.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Broose posted:

Why why why isn't there just a standardized program to install mods with? This is too complicated for my primitive brain. Where did FOMM go? I thought everyone used that for fallout 3 and NV?

Not everyone! I've said it in threads before, but Mod Organizer is such a superior tool compared to other mod mangers it's ridiculous. If your only installing a few mods, other managers are perfectly fine, but when you are dealing with hundreds of mods and trying to make everything work properly, I can't imagine the task without using MO.

That being said, It's in alpha for FO4 for a reason I guess. Installed all my mods with NMM, and it works fine...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Broose posted:

Why why why isn't there just a standardized program to install mods with? This is too complicated for my primitive brain. Where did FOMM go? I thought everyone used that for fallout 3 and NV?

edit: Anyone got a recommendation on item sorting mods? Seems like there is a couple out there and the one in the OP seems to go overboard with trying to sort Junk.

Nexus Mod Manager will suffice until Mod Organizer 2 is in better shape.

For real though Mod Organizer is ridiculously better if only for its ability to dynamically manage .bsas or loose files that don't belong in .esps.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

how long did it take for the GECK to get released last time

Asking for reasons unrelated to deathclaw dongs

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

T.G. Xarbala posted:

how long did it take for the GECK to get released last time

Asking for reasons unrelated to deathclaw dongs

It will reportedly release in February iirc

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I am already amazed with how much people are doing right now. I can't wait for a mod that allows me to manage settlers from my pipboy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

It will reportedly release in February iirc

Cool.

Because the reason I'm actually asking is because I'm waiting for someone to make a bunch of costumes to give to dogmeat and I think that requires something a little more robust than the fanmade tools available now.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Broose posted:

I am already amazed with how much people are doing right now. I can't wait for a mod that allows me to manage settlers from my pipboy.

I'm really curious if it will be possible to mod things like this to display through the mobile app. Manage your settlers from your tablet! :allears:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Anyone done much stuff with porting New Vegas armors to Fallout 4?

I really miss my guy's glasses, he's had them since Fallout 3 :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like such a lowlife only using NMM for all Bethesda games in history. It's always been stable for the one total conversion and 5-10 flavor mods I throw in :shrug:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I used nexus mod manager to use about 60 skyrim mods at once and never had any problems, and I don't really see myself ever needing more mods than that unless they're all tiny ones like individual texture replacements

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I only used Mod Organizer for Skyrim because I came to the game years after it came out and that's what the mod thread recommended. NMM works fine for FO4 for me so far.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

I feel like such a lowlife only using NMM for all Bethesda games in history. It's always been stable for the one total conversion and 5-10 flavor mods I throw in :shrug:

Hey don't feel bad. If your only installing one big mod, and 10 or so armor or whatever mods, NMM or FOMM works great. Easy and simple. If your trying to do a 300+ mega mod Skyrim playthrough, or a TTW super playthrough with all the DLC for both games and Project Nevada and all the HUD mods, you kinda need a bit more control.

It's not an issue so much with Fallout 4, since there's not so many mods right now. Nevertheless, It's a good thing to learn how to use

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So general/mod question. Since there is not really a level cap for FO4, I'm envisioning a potential problem with the way DR and health is going to work out. Since you gain health every level, and DR can be buffed to significant numbers with the right mods, is the game going to inevitably end up with dozens of bullet sponge enemies in the late game? Because your own damage does not increase each level, you need to buff it with weapon modifications and perks. So you can only max out your damage so much, while health and DR will continue to climb, meaning that your sniper rifle which you use to two shot enemies will eventually only barely chip away at your opponents.

Would a health capping mod and a Damage Threshold system fix this? I believe so.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Using full auto weapons, I can definitely see enemies becoming more and more bullet spongey as I keep leveling up. I can only just keep up with it by upgrading damage perks as they become available, which I won't be able to do anymore once I get commando rank 5.

I'd like to see some kind of total overhaul of damage, armor and perks that affect those values so that you aren't so reliant on the perks that boost damage with certain weapon types as you level up, and so that the game doesn't tend toward making everything more bullet spongey. Ideally the weapon perks wouldn't add damage as much and instead would just give more pronounced extra effects (like increased radius on explosives or stun chance on auto weapons).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Using full auto weapons, I can definitely see enemies becoming more and more bullet spongey as I keep leveling up. I can only just keep up with it by upgrading damage perks as they become available, which I won't be able to do anymore once I get commando rank 5.
I assumed enemy levels are capped at around the point you get the level 5 damage perks for exactly this reason.

EDIT: Maybe not. I can't find any information on how it works unmodded, except that overleveled enemies aren't that big a deal since after a certain point they stop getting much extra health and instead get extra DR, and the benefit of DR suffers pretty sharp diminishing returns.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 13, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know I'm just being pedantic, but the Damage Threshold system in New Vegas is just so much better than Damage Resistance it isn't even funny. Like, in this game I'm wiping out deathclaws with some ungodly Walther PPK pistol, whereas in Vegas I don't go near those fuckers without some 12 gauge slugs at the very least, .50cal HE if I have it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That comes to personal taste and I wasn't fond of NV's DT system severely gimping automatic weapons.

And New Vegas is still my favorite Fallout game, full stop.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I'd like new Vegas a lot more if the balance weren't so hosed that I run into multiple encounters that eat ~50 bullets a piece right after I walk over the railroad tracks from Nipton

Like seriously the difficulty curve slants upward so quick there I would have to bring some loving pitons, but instead I just boot up a different game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I'd like new Vegas a lot more if the balance weren't so hosed that I run into multiple encounters that eat ~50 bullets a piece right after I walk over the railroad tracks from Nipton

Like seriously the difficulty curve slants upward so quick there I would have to bring some loving pitons, but instead I just boot up a different game.

Not going to lie, I love FNV but not for the combat. FO4's a flat improvement there.

I don't recall having that much trouble between Nipton and The Strip though. Though I guess my default state in a modern Fallout game is to play a sneaky sniper so that might've skewed things. Because I am pretty sure FNV wanted to punish you for playing any style but stealth sniper.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Can't say I've ever played stealth sniper in NV, but it's easy enough/diverse enough to support literally every playthrough I've tried of it. Only hard part of the game is honestly Primm if you're using jsawyer(and you should).

On Fallout 4 modding, I really just want someone to port over some of the guns from NV. Grenade rifles, grenade machinegun, an LMG etc. Not that there's anything really wrong with the Fallout 4 weapons, there's just a distinct lack of variety that the mods...really don't compensate for(especially when a fair few weapons only have one mod). Hopefully the WME/WMX guys will come over once the modding tools come out and create something awesome.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
the extreme makeover settlement mods are so nice. I don't care if its not lore friendly, I have a two story institute walled/floored mansion and a prewar garden in the works. I think the fact I can backstab deathclaws justifies this oasis in the wasteland.

I sorta liked New Vegas' areas of insane difficulty. I ended up making goals for myself to come back and finish the job when I was stronger, or spend a crazy amount of time planning an assault with explosives. Despite being stealth sniper in every RPG/FPS hybrid that supports it, I never got around to it in NV. Didn't help that their decay rates were incredibly high. I never wanted to shoot it because I could visibly see the CND bar lower.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

your evil twin posted:

Aha, that's good to know. I think I'll stick with Hard mode then, and if I find the game becoming easy I'll switch to Survival... but use the mod to make Survival have the damage ratios as Hard. So switching to Survival will simply slow the stimpack healing and increase legendary enemies.

Also tempted by Adjusted Encounter Zones. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4078/

The mod lists altered level ranges... would be good to know what the level limits for those areas are like in the vanilla game, though! See how much of a difference it makes, whether it is too drastic.

definitely get EAZ, the vanilla level ranges are really low. open FO4Edit and compare I guess.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Not going to lie, I love FNV but not for the combat. FO4's a flat improvement there.

I don't recall having that much trouble between Nipton and The Strip though. Though I guess my default state in a modern Fallout game is to play a sneaky sniper so that might've skewed things. Because I am pretty sure FNV wanted to punish you for playing any style but stealth sniper.
it also doesn't help that with the sole exception of the .45 smg or 12.7 SMG (lol) most of the guns you'll be using are fast-firing lever or bolt action rifles

(also i really like how the .45 smg was loving nerfed in this game lmao)

i think small amounts of DT + a 100/100+N diminishing returns scaling DR (which happens to be impossible to implement in this game due to how the armor system works) would be the best system overall

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it also doesn't help that with the sole exception of the .45 smg or 12.7 SMG (lol) most of the guns you'll be using are fast-firing lever or bolt action rifles

(also i really like how the .45 smg was loving nerfed in this game lmao)

i think small amounts of DT + a 100/100+N diminishing returns scaling DR (which happens to be impossible to implement in this game due to how the armor system works) would be the best system overall

FNV was basically modern Fallout meets the mob and the wild west, and balance-wise it felt like the game really encouraged you to build your Courier like a post-apocalyptic cowboy/cowgirl. I can't help but think that was intentional, but also a shame since there was such a variety of weapons to choose from. Fallout 4 doesn't have that kind of theming to work against but the limited weapon selection feels anemic in comparison. And there's a healthy dose of mobsters and private dicks in 4 so I guess Fallout is going to run with that motif from now on (which is good, because it owns.)

And speaking of impossibles, with the way the weapons and mods are coded, is it really not possible for modders to add new weapons? Because if so that's a real fuckin' shame. Or is it a "wait and see till February" thing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

wait until the F4CK, there's a lot of things that are attached to keywords that cannot be created through xedit

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

T.G. Xarbala posted:

And speaking of impossibles, with the way the weapons and mods are coded, is it really not possible for modders to add new weapons? Because if so that's a real fuckin' shame. Or is it a "wait and see till February" thing.

I just want a 1911. Is that so much to ask?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

New weapons are possible. New models for them isn't. Currently everything must be pieced together from existing weapon-fragments.

Is there any chance that FOSE will allow modders to implement FNV-style ammo types?

Edit: This is probably impossible without scripts, but I want a personal stealth device that gives me stealthboy while draining a fusion core. Like the power armour mod, but without the rest of the power armour.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 13, 2015

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
With the discovery of the Chinese Assault Rifle in the game files, I'm thinking the "Assault Rifle" we have now was originally supposed to be the basic heavy weapon of the game, considering its files are labelled "machinegun".

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

toasterwarrior posted:

With the discovery of the Chinese Assault Rifle in the game files, I'm thinking the "Assault Rifle" we have now was originally supposed to be the basic heavy weapon of the game, considering its files are labelled "machinegun".
yeah the Chinese AR was removed largely because :effort:

doesn't explain why the combat rifle uses .45 instead of 5.56 though

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/FaKH36h.gifv

I need this.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah the Chinese AR was removed largely because :effort:

doesn't explain why the combat rifle uses .45 instead of 5.56 though

Because making 7.62 for the Totally-not-a-Maxim-or-Browning-Machine-Gun and changing the Combat Rifle to 5.56 would mean that the Combat Rifle might not instantly and completely obsolete every other gun that uses .45?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Arcsquad12 posted:

So general/mod question. Since there is not really a level cap for FO4, I'm envisioning a potential problem with the way DR and health is going to work out. Since you gain health every level, and DR can be buffed to significant numbers with the right mods, is the game going to inevitably end up with dozens of bullet sponge enemies in the late game? Because your own damage does not increase each level, you need to buff it with weapon modifications and perks. So you can only max out your damage so much, while health and DR will continue to climb, meaning that your sniper rifle which you use to two shot enemies will eventually only barely chip away at your opponents.

Would a health capping mod and a Damage Threshold system fix this? I believe so.
I think a system that caps the health for both NPCs and yourself (optional) as well as issuing better weapons out to even low level enemies when you pass level thresholds would work.

I'd be a bit more wary of even low level raiders if they were rocking 10mms and combat rifles more often.

Maybe have the raiders in power armor use salvaged bits of T45/T60 etc here and there too.

e: Alternate settlements

Wallpaper and flooring that snaps into place over tiles! But you have to use the non vanilla parts he supplied. Might be worth a look, mind.

e2: I was about to say that my former point was kind of invalid, as I found some raider psychos with hunting rifles, hardened sub machine guns and a minigun(!) when returning to the wreck of the USS riptide, but when I cleared them out, I found a pile of weapons I discarded on the deck, so they must be some old guns I dropped off. :( Still, this have given me the idea of planting every spare minigun I find in an area where I know raiders will spawn, so that when they pick it up and I kill them, +500 rounds of 5mm. :getin:

Falken fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 13, 2015

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...

Falken posted:

e: Alternate settlements

Wallpaper and flooring that snaps into place over tiles! But you have to use the non vanilla parts he supplied. Might be worth a look, mind.

I'm using this mod, because I wanted more choice than wood or metal.
The textures he's used were part of a large pack that got plonked on Nexus for general use, but he only used a few of them.
They work well, and it's nice to have brick buildings. Also doorways that don't protrude so much.
Because he added the new parts to a new section on the build menu with, they don't conflict with anything at all if you fancy having a go with them.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
gently caress yes

Can't wait for FO4's version of Robco Certified. This is nice in the meantime.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Thanks so much for this. It made my clinic a lot more natural looking:

It went from having a big-rear end, clunky looking lemonade stand in a tiny infirmary to the more realistic scenario of having to bother the poor doctor while she's doing an inventory check whenever I need stims. I had to prop it on top of a footlocker due to the height difference but it looks so much nicer now :3:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alabaster White posted:

Because making 7.62 for the Totally-not-a-Maxim-or-Browning-Machine-Gun and changing the Combat Rifle to 5.56 would mean that the Combat Rifle might not instantly and completely obsolete every other gun that uses .45?
That sounds like a good game design decision so of course they didn't do that

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Songbearer posted:

Thanks so much for this. It made my clinic a lot more natural looking:

It went from having a big-rear end, clunky looking lemonade stand in a tiny infirmary to the more realistic scenario of having to bother the poor doctor while she's doing an inventory check whenever I need stims. I had to prop it on top of a footlocker due to the height difference but it looks so much nicer now :3:

Nice workaround, but you can use console commands to adjust the height and rotation as well.

Ddraig posted:

gently caress yes

Can't wait for FO4's version of Robco Certified. This is nice in the meantime.

Made by a goon, too. Now I have a reason to go for Robotics Expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

gromdul posted:

Nice workaround, but you can use console commands to adjust the height and rotation as well.

I tried, but the vendor sinks into the ground when you adjust the height too severely.

• Locked thread