Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also note how carefully the artist hid everyone's hands, except for that one dude. If you can't draw 'em, just hide 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

PPS. Too many backs of heads showing. Everyone should be looking at me, not off into some distant and timeless sunset.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Real talk though, how'd you get a photo of a shadowed area so nice without the sky being white?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Real talk though, how'd you get a photo of a shadowed area so nice without the sky being white?

portra 400 scanned as a positive, also in the PNW this time of year the difference between the sky and the shadow tends to be only around 5 stops.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-snype posted:

portra 400 scanned as a positive

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

8th-snype posted:

portra 400 scanned as a positive, also in the PNW this time of year the difference between the sky and the shadow tends to be only around 5 stops.

How do you measure the difference? A shot like that here would be really hard, probably impossible in camera, unless you went in the late afternoon/early morning.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

How do you measure the difference? A shot like that here would be really hard, probably impossible in camera, unless you went in the late afternoon/early morning.

Point at sky, point at shadows, see the difference?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

alkanphel posted:

Point at sky, point at shadows, see the difference?

My cameras light meter doesn't have enough of a range.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

My cameras light meter doesn't have enough of a range.

Switch it to spot metering.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

alkanphel posted:

Switch it to spot metering.

as in it goes from -2 to +2 and with a shadow at just above -2, pointing at the sky gives a result of >2.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

as in it goes from -2 to +2 and with a shadow at just above -2, pointing at the sky gives a result of >2.

No, no. Point it at the sky, note the exposure given (ex: f/5.6 @ 1/5000), then do the same for the ground.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Chinatown 50/50 by Tom Olson, on Flickr

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

At first, I thought nothing much of this shot. Then I looked at it longer and the symmetry blew my mind.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Galleria Borghese by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I'm team orange light

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dren posted:

I'm team orange light

you have made a great enemy on this day

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Dren posted:

I'm team orange light

let's go orange

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Blue light is the best. I can't wait until all our cities have done away with sodium vapor bulbs. (Obligatory news article about sodium and fluorescent streetlights in Berlin.)

And a landscape I guess

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Blue light is the best. I can't wait until all our cities have done away with sodium vapor bulbs. (Obligatory news article about sodium and fluorescent streetlights in Berlin.)

And a landscape I guess

Blue light sucks but at least it's not green light, gently caress green light

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
gently caress colour.

Also, I'm done shooting this topic for a good while, its kind of bumming me out wandering around these new housing developments

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Hollywood movies these days all look the same.

Gern Blandsten
Jan 28, 2012
November Night by Carl Maida, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

This is fantastic.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Haught posted:

This is fantastic.

Danke!

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Spedman posted:

Also, I'm done shooting this topic for a good while, its kind of bumming me out wandering around these new housing developments
Great shots.

I'm heading up to Doreen next weekend for a family wedding and I'm morbidly interested in seeing what it's become in the past five years.

Nova by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Hill Top Golf & Country Club by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

365 Nog Hogger posted:

I like this but I want it to be... more so. Playing around with cropping and blurring (not to present it with those, just to analyze the elements) I think this reaction is based on the inclusion of some reference points in the image. The center is what's interesting to me, but there is too clear of a path pointed out to me, when I think it could be more engaging without guiding the viewer.

Thanks for making the effort to write this. The middle elements you've identified are the interest I found in the scene. I included the top/bottom elements to present it as interest within a recognisable place, and less of an abstraction. Thinking about it, one can infer the presence of the foreground land from my position making the photograph, and at the top from the reflections and shadow. Were it not so far away, I'd photograph it again from a higher vantage point, without the top/bottom land.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Meanwhile:

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Misty Winter by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Yessss

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rohan posted:

Great shots.

I'm heading up to Doreen next weekend for a family wedding and I'm morbidly interested in seeing what it's become in the past five years.

Nova by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

Hill Top Golf & Country Club by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

I like it when you can tell a photo's Australian without being glaring things like a flag or kangaroo.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I think you may have a bit of barrel distortion going on there

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wellington
by Euan Torstonson, on Flickr

Wellington

Wellington

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

A very heavy snowy owl:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

A very heavy snowy owl:

I'm clicking for huge but nothing is happening.

Really cool shot.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Batok by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigoe
Jul 29, 2003

gonna steal the show, you know it ain't no crime