Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
imo trade and tech schools are the way to go right now for most people after high school. colleges are bloated and are all about *~*networking*~* but actually just suck up all your money and it's basically for the rich really. it takes forever to be qualified for anything, and half the time you are paying for classes that have gently caress all to do with what you're actually studying

meanwhile you can go to a community college, spend a year learning how to be an electrician for a marginal amount of money, and what do you know, you can now make a living becoming an electrician

i have literally no idea why 'lesser' colleges get such a bad rap in the US, it's literally the most efficient way to learn how to do a useful thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Gyra_Solune posted:

imo trade and tech schools are the way to go right now for most people after high school. colleges are bloated and are all about *~*networking*~* but actually just suck up all your money and it's basically for the rich really. it takes forever to be qualified for anything, and half the time you are paying for classes that have gently caress all to do with what you're actually studying

meanwhile you can go to a community college, spend a year learning how to be an electrician for a marginal amount of money, and what do you know, you can now make a living becoming an electrician

i have literally no idea why 'lesser' colleges get such a bad rap in the US, it's literally the most efficient way to learn how to do a useful thing

Uh, College Is Expensive So It Must Be Good? Don't You Know Economacs???

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
don't do strictly online colleges though, i'm pretty sure those are scams

as a general rule of thumb if you heard about your college on tv you should not do that college

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Gyra_Solune posted:

as a general rule of thumb if you heard about your college on tv you should not do that college

what about bus ads?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i would know about those if the buses in my town went literally anywhere useful

i can't even safely say i've ever seen one of them

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Gyra_Solune posted:

My buddy is making $80+k from a tech degree he got from a school advertised on Montel Williams but I'm gonna guess he's a statistical outlier.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 13, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

Skilled trades don't get steady hours either, and there aren't necessarily a surplus of jobs out there were lots of people to flood the market.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

People are putting dead end retail jobs on a bit of a pedestal. I mean yeah gumption and all but it's just something to get by until you find something better, not the dawn of a bright future?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

my parents gave me a choice of either college, the peace corps, or the military

sooooo the lesser of three evils

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003

naem posted:

Skilled trades don't get steady hours either, and there aren't necessarily a surplus of jobs out there were lots of people to flood the market.

This is straight up nonsense.

There is such a shortage of skilled tradesman at this time the big home builders are using the labor shortage as an excuse for their earnings shortcomings. When 2008 happened a lot of tradesmen retired / found other occupations. Now the big home builders are having to pay people more to come back to work for them.

It's also a result of the "go to college or you're hosed" attitude. Become an electrician / plumber and you'll never worry about finding a job. You'll probably never own a new Lamborghini, but you'll live a decent middle class life. And, unless you're a huge loving retard, be without the 75k in student loan debt like many of your 'college only' friends.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

proof of concept posted:

"I got a job by making a personal connection with my future employer over a thing like a human being"
"that thing is stupid and I hate it you're both stupid!!"

thanks for reiterating my point for no apparent reason

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:gas:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You guys should read the "I hate working in retail" thread in BFC if you want to feel better about yourselves.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoff Zahn posted:

Umm this thread is millennials.jpg not molesters.jpg

:drat:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

everyone complaining about beards itt can't grow one or is some wage slave working for the big corps.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ghostter posted:

everyone complaining about beards itt can't grow one or is some wage slave working for the big corps.

Shaving is good. Sorry about your stinky beard.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Beards are for weak jaw lines.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
it amazes me daily that men and women with bears are able to perform basic bodily functions like going to the toilet by themselves

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

plain blue jacket posted:

it amazes me daily that men and women with bears are able to perform basic bodily functions like going to the toilet by themselves

Why would a woman need a bear? Is she HIS beard?

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

dialhforhero posted:

Instead of complaining about beards, why don't you complain about smedium shirts.

its dumb but its easy to blame smedium shirts on the fact that virtually all t-shirts are way too big in the waist compared the shoulders. any slim guy who spends any amount of time at the gym will find it almost impossible to find a t shirt that fits and the only option is to go down in size.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gyra_Solune posted:

The media has spent 30 years portraying every blue collar guy as a broke, fat, lazy dofus for 30 years while in the media even the dumbest college graduate with a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving is enjoying a cushy upper middle class job.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Xae posted:

The media has spent 30 years portraying every blue collar guy as a broke, fat, lazy dofus for 30 years while in the media even the dumbest college graduate with a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving is enjoying a cushy upper middle class job.

Got to be rich for that. Had a roommate I knew from Jr. High who went from super to moderately right wing and explained why with a story about someone he graduated with.

Simply put, he attended a rich man's university and a nice, but dumb, guy he knew walked into a do-nothing position which paid $250k/year. The guy's uncle ran a boutique hedge fund and just magicked up the position for him on cue.

It was at that point my roommate began to suspect something was amiss

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
This guy was a student at my partner's uni. He is currently making £1000 a week charging idiots to post potatoes for them.

quote:

prosperous business that earns him £1000 a week - by sending people potatoes in the post.

Adrian Nantchev used to work as a computer games tester but ditched his respectable career to scribble messages on potatoes and post them to people instead.

The 22-year-old's customers tell him what they want written on the Maris Piper, and for a cool price of £5.99, he'll then post the potato by Royal Mail.

His website named Potato in the Post, gets up to 30 orders a day – which sees Adrian raking in a grand a week.

He has admitted to pinching the idea from the Americans, after he spotted a similar business across the pond.

Adrian says on his website: "Cards are boring now. Send a potato instead.

"You can send a potato for any occasion. Whether you want to prank your friends or family that share your sense of humour, or you want to send a special message but in a humorous way.

"Imagine the possibilities with sending a message on a potato to your friends or family. Truly out of the ordinary, cannot be forgotten and the message sticks.

"And that is the point of sending a potato. It is memorable. Don't be bland, don't be forgettable. Send a potato in the post."

Well, we've heard it all now!

http://www.reveal.co.uk/real-life-stories/news/a679123/man-makes-gbp1000-a-week-sending-potatoes-in-the-post.html

Here is the site, in all it's glory....

http://www.potatointhepost.com/

quote:

Save time with sending your message on a potato. Cards are too mainstream, send a potato instead. Express yourself. Do things differently, support the environment and challenge big business.

Apparently he was a total, unemployable nightmare, but he found a rich source of Ironically minded people to mine.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A degree in underwater basket weaving from Oxford is still worth a lot more than a degree in business from the Oklahoma Christian Academy.

I'd like to think STEM is more consistent between universities because there's only one way to science a circuit board, but the stories you hear...

E: lol the OCA is actually a real place but it's a preschool so...

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 13, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why'd you want a potato

unless you're a slav of course

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Got to be rich for that. Had a roommate I knew from Jr. High who went from super to moderately right wing and explained why with a story about someone he graduated with.

Simply put, he attended a rich man's university and a nice, but dumb, guy he knew walked into a do-nothing position which paid $250k/year. The guy's uncle ran a boutique hedge fund and just magicked up the position for him on cue.

It was at that point my roommate began to suspect something was amiss

Moral: Eat the rich

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

"Just be a plumber" isn't really great advice. The boom in unemployable liberal arts kids is partially the result of people trying to avoid a lifetime of nasty, physically demanding labor.

There are better career paths in trade schools anyway.

naem
May 29, 2011

I know a lot of electricians somehow, and they describe a boom of miserable 80 hour weeks followed by a bust with few paid hours available, and there is a mafia like union system that controls your life. Also you drive around in a van at weird hours getting $80 parking tickets

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My dad was an HVAC technician. He made pretty good money, and he could fix things for family and friends, but he worked long hours and had to be on-call during the holidays in case the mills had heating problems. He also ended up with a few debilitating injuries and had to go through years of legal disputes for workers comp. A few of his coworkers died over the years because climbing buildings, working on a rooftop in the hot sun, and dealing with electrical systems are dangerous things to have to do every day at your job.

Someone has to do those things, and they deserve respect and a decent wage for it, but it's not the one simple solution to unemployed millennials.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I know some HVAC folks that make about 80k a year so they make great money compared to how easy it is to get certified (pretty much anybody can do it if they have some ambition and aren't total gently caress ups) but it's back breaking labor and they will only lst about 10 years in the profession and do irreparable damage to their body over the course of their short career. Going into people's attics and crawl spaces all day will wear your body out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

thathonkey posted:

I know some HVAC folks that make about 80k a year so they make great money compared to how easy it is to get certified (pretty much anybody can do it if they have some ambition and aren't total gently caress ups) but it's back breaking labor and they will only lst about 10 years in the profession and do irreparable damage to their body over the course of their short career. Going into people's attics and crawl spaces all day will wear your body out.

The finest career. The endgame is "Fat guy who monitors temp controls at the mall".

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I work as a project manager at an engineering corporation and I basically sit in an office and answer mails and go to meetings every now and then. Sometimes I don't even go into work, I just work from home

truly i deserve the money i am making for this arduous labour of mine

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So to fix the job market we should be throwing Millennials off of roofs?

What's the requirements for that job?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

thathonkey posted:

Yeah despite all the hype from people such as Mike Rowe, blue collars jobs are really miserable in the long run and often lead to some painful lifelong injuries.

White collar jobs are much better by comparison.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Zzulu posted:

I work as a project manager at an engineering corporation and I basically sit in an office and answer mails and go to meetings every now and then. Sometimes I don't even go into work, I just work from home

truly i deserve the money i am making for this arduous labour of mine

same except the telecommute part because I work with olds and the company is run by olds.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I hope to one day be making criminal amounts of money in a position where nobody knows exactly what I do, but they all assume I'm indispensable.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

I hope to one day be making criminal amounts of money in a position where nobody knows exactly what I do, but they all assume I'm indispensable.

You'll never be the Head of a major corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I want one of those nepotism gigs at the port where I just rubber stamp poo poo all day for $300,000/year with six weeks vacation.

Imagine traveling to a new country every other month? :3:

etalian posted:

Yeah despite all the hype from people such as Mike Rowe, blue collars jobs are really miserable in the long run and often lead to some painful lifelong injuries.

White collar jobs are much better by comparison.

Mine is giving me rough sausage-fingered man-hands and it's loving up my typing accuracy. As a big dumb nerd who types ~100 WPM, I take this very seriously.

• Locked thread