Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
It's starting to get to the point where I wonder if I'll ever play anything other than Kerbal Space Program, Football Manager 2015, XCOM, Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Crusader Kings 2. And I've bought Tomb Raiders 4 and 5 and System Shock 2. And Prison Architect is properly out. This is why I took a break from open ended games, I'm turning my nose up at less than half price Witcher 3. I would like to play some other games it some point but gotta get to Duna/get promoted to the Championship/win Long War/visit all of Europe/form the Hispanic Empire.

Current 'must make room for' list:
XCOM2
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Just Cause 3
The Witcher 3
Metal Gear Solid 5
Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna
Life is Strange

I'll add Stonehearth, Maia, Empyrion and Take on Mars to that if they turn out to be good.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

My progress really has slowed to a crawl.. its these drat jerpigs!!! They're too long jerry!!!

BEATEN: Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits - So I did not play either of these games for the story, obviously. I bought Arc hoping it would be the closest kin to Dragon Quarter, and it came close in some respects, but was ultimately a different experience. I already explained the mechanics before I think, so I'll just say that the game never really throws any additional curveballs to the mechanics throughout the campaign. There are only two battles with one singular giant boss by itself -- the regular 'boss' encounters are just one slightly tougher dude and a bunch of henchmen, arranged in a specific way. The final boss felt like it got transported over from a different JRPG subgenre and probably should have been altered in some way.

BEATEN: Shining Force Neo - Sort of like Ys without the puzzles or platforming, just pure dungeon crawling. It has a really addictive loop of killing a bunch of monsters, grabbing energy crystals, grabbing loot, and then warping back to town and selling that loot, upgrading your equipment, and using the energy crystals to install permanent perks/buffs to your character (which you find more and more types of, throughout the game).

STARTED: Undertale, Picross e6, BoxBoy, Super Mario Maker

ALSO ADDED: Westerado Double Barrelled, SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: A Wizard's Lizard (laptop game)

I gather this is meant to handle kind of like Binding of Isaac except without looking like someone threw up a bunch of aborted scrotums on the screen. The problem is that it feels kind of sluggish, lacks any kind of impact or "feel", and is also completely opaque. You can't even see what an item does unless it's sold in a shop, and even then the descriptions are often totally unhelpful. And when you die the first time you come back as a ghost? The whole thing feels very amateurish and presumably you're expected to read the wiki, which is incomplete, to figure out how it actually works. A big meh, especially considering that BroForce also runs on linux and just went gold.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Played some casual and bundle fodder this week:

Finished: 12 Labours of Hercules II + III
Excellent casual time wasters that are often sold for less than a buck. Extremely simple resource strategy games but the whole series has that "just one more level" feeling that makes it good.

Finished: Abandoned
A simple and very, very short point and click adventure game. Same style as the Amanita Design games, but seems more like a test of/prologue to a full game.

Finished: Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum
Standard Hidden Object/Adventure-lite game.

Nulled: Angry Arrows
Twitch shooter/rogue-ish? game that starts out by saying "Gamepad recommended" and then the gamepad stops working ingame (but not in menus) when you die the first time.
I played a bit using KB+M and it worked fine. The game itself is not something I enjoyed, as it you need to shoot enemies with a slow loading bow and arrow before they shoot you, and they aim pretty drat well. There are also exploding spiders. That's when I stopped.

Nulled: Big Fish Legend
Probably the worst controls I have ever tried in a platform puzzler: You control using the mouse. A small cat walks around, and you point the cursor to where it supposed to go. OK, then get it to jump up a wall, or land on small platforms, or avoid bear traps while jumping on top of a dog. Graphics were OK, but drat that was a messed up control scheme.

Finished/Nulled: Big Thinkers Kindergarten + First Grade
Another bunch of kids games from Humongous Games. Lots of activities and really good handmade animation.

Nulled: Death Ray Manta
Why am I not better at twin stick shooters? The graphics are great and the soundtrack is awesome and yet I can't get past level 8, and I really want to listen to the track.
If you enjoy crazy fast, good looking twin stick shooters, check this one out!

Finished: Legends of Solitaire: Curse of the Dragons
If you miss playing Faerie Solitaire, get this one! There are 40 levels (10 games each level) of solitaire goodness and a fantasy story with some pretty decent narration to tie it together.

Finished: Nightmares from the Deep 3: Davy Jones
Big production values in this Hidden Object game, but also a pretty boring one. Artifex Mundi should really stick to making casual games and keep the huge cut scenes to a minimum. Cringeworthy dialog and voice work, but hey, that's the casual game world for you.

Nulled: Racer 8
Like that old game where water starts flowing and you have to arrange pipes by turning the squares they are on, to direct the water to the other side of the screen, this is a "racing" game, where you need to keep your car driving by making up the track.
Looks OK, but it got annoying really fast.

Nulled: RC Cars
An old lovely bundle game with a really bad menu system. When I finally got a race started, all the cars started bouncing around and I couldn't move forward at all.

Nulled: RC Mini Racers
Definitely an improvement compared to RC Cars. Tries to be Mario Cart but getting pummeled by rockets and then getting stuck in a wall is not my kind of racing fuin, RC cars or not.

Nulled: RefleX
Bullet hell shmup. So Japanese it almost hurts.

Nulled: Vortex
This might be the best game ever created, but it's a local co-op only game, and that equals an auto-null from me.

Now Playing
I'm still playing Thief and enjoying it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Undertale - It's really good, although way more linear than I was expecting. You can and do go back after the initial playthrough in order to unlock the true ending, but otherwise this is the same kind of linear as... well, I won't say FF13, I'll say Mario & Luigi Partners in Time.

BEATEN: Technobabylon - Probably Wadjet Eye's 2nd best non-Blackwell game, behind Resonance. Satisfying length as well. I still wish their games had some sort of hotspot highlighting like Daedalic games.

BEATEN: Last Word - I dunno that I can recommend a one-area RPG Maker game to anyone, but what makes Last Word unique is that the j in jRPG stands for 'jovial'. you're among a bunch of rich snooty types in a mansion and you battle them with wordplay -- well, representations of wordplay. The combat is turn based but it is this weird tug-of-war where you have three command phrases (each with 3 levels), one that builds power, one that converts power into tact, and one that expends tact to move your cursor further across the bar. If your cursor reaches the opponent's end, you win the battle. I don't know that I've seen anything like this battle system. It's cool. I have no idea if this is by the same people as those "sad" rpg maker games where you go into the old guy's memories, but this is way better than that poo poo. Only 3-4 hours long though, and no gamepad support.

ADDED: Cosmochoria. Possibly added after I check my spendin money: Blues & Bullets, Spirits of Xanadu, Charnel House Trilogy

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 30, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
BEATEN: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 156 hours later, I'm sitting at 85% completion. All side ops and main missions done. Glad I got it done to clear my free time for Anno 2205 on Tuesday and Fallout 4 the Tuesday after.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Haven't had a lot of time for Steam lately, but I did end up playing through a pile of old or oldish platformers:

BEATEN: Cave Story+. I got to the normal-ending final boss back when it was Cave Story- but it turns out I never actually cleared it. This time, I had the Spur, and thus I won. I also qualified to unlock the path to the True Ending, but that was beyond my skill. I need to get better at the normal-ending boss rush before I can even think about taking on Bloodstained Sanctuary.

BEATEN: Mighty Gunvolt. Technically never hit the backlog - this was an apology gift from Comcept - but I fired it up out of curiosity and less than a half an hour later I'd won. Yeah, I dunno. Tries to be funny by having horrible Engrish but it is instead completely incomprehensible.

COMPLETED: Mega Man Legacy Collection. It's Mega Man 1-6, and some "challenge modes" that are basically level mashups that also make the game crash. I'm told this isn't NES emulation, but instead binary translation the way "Ultra-HLE" and such worked on more modern systems. I can believe it; a lot of the graphical glitches are matched exactly, and lag happens when it should, but lag also manifested differently depending on my GPU settings. (Don't force VSync.) After playing them all back to back: 3 was more bullshit than I remember in the second half. 4 and 5 were exactly as bullshit as I remember in the second half. 6 was way easier, more fun, and less half-assed than I remembered, but not enough to alter relative ranking.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Spent the afternoon working on my backlog and picked some random games that had cards:

Nulled: Marble Mayhem: Fragile Ball
Guide your ball through a maze, down a pachinko-like course or let it bounce into a hole while turning the screen left and right. Sure, it's a budget game and it shows, but the idea was fun enough.
Right up until I started to feel nauseous because the screen was turning left and right.

Nulled: Mayhem Triple
Some budget platform shooter where you have to kill space rabbits invading earth. Something felt off with the controls and the "humor" was really bad.

Nulled: Meltdown
An isometric shooter with you as a Rambo like character killing robots. It looked, felt and acted like a mobile game, but had decent controls, both in-game and in menus, and was very polished.

Finished: Message Quest
This was a fun and charming little point and click adventure/visual novel with a few puzzles thrown in. Very short though (about an hour or so).

Nulled: Metrocide
I had actually looked forward to playing this, as it sounded pretty cool, but I might be a bit dumb, as I couldn't figure out to take down my first target and suddenly I drew a gun but couldn't shoot and then security cam spotted me, a police drone flew in and started shooting, I ran through a crowd of innocent bystanders which the police drone didn't give a poo poo about, thus killing a lot of them and then killing me.
So, it's a top-down stealth shooter set in a cyberpunkish near future world, where you get contracts for people to take out while no-one sees you do it. It looks a bit like GTA 1 and there sure is a cool atmosphere in the game,. I might revisit it later.

Nulled: Millie
You are a small centipede in a maze. When you eat the pellets, you grow bigger and you have to avoi... Snake. The game is called snake. I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was called when I played Millie, and suddenly it came to me.
Also, the sound when you eat the pellets, which is the main part of the game play, is extremely gross.

Nulled: Mind: Path to Thalamus
Yeah, I wasn't really in the mood for another pretentious first person walking simulator. It looked pretty though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Now I know why my game completion has dropped off, console games are way way longer than pc games

BEATEN: Blues & Bullets ep 1 - Really funky episodic game where you play Eliot Ness doing a solid for Al Capone in some kind of AU Earth where he's not in jail and the hindenburg is a flying hotel (???). You're looking for missing children and there's a crime scene that seems to indicate cult-like rituals, so this series is gonna be going some places. The game has a couple of on-rails FPS moments, although I'd say it feels at least a little better than Walking Dead's FPS moments which were ridorkulously clunky.

BEATEN: Spirits of Xanadu - Steam reviewers compared this game to System Shock but I'd say it's closer to Gone Home with some mild shooting of roboids. Open drawers, read emails, listen to audiologs, find torn out pages, all your walking sim favorites are here. The game is fine but it's horrifically low budget and only 2 hours long at most.

ADDED: Elliot Quest (forgot I had a key)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Blues & Bullets ep 1 - Really funky episodic game where you play Eliot Ness doing a solid for Al Capone in some kind of AU Earth where he's not in jail and the hindenburg is a flying hotel (???). You're looking for missing children and there's a crime scene that seems to indicate cult-like rituals, so this series is gonna be going some places. The game has a couple of on-rails FPS moments, although I'd say it feels at least a little better than Walking Dead's FPS moments which were ridorkulously clunky.

I think you meant TPS, not FPS, but some of the sequences are cool:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows DLC: This is what all DLC should be. Such a great alternate take on the same game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Read Only Memories - I've spent too long talking about the problems with the setting vs theme, I'm not as down on the writing as the Steam thread was, it's the kind of game where if you like to examine everything in Phoenix Wright, there's a lot a lot a lot of that in here. Each area has a ton of interactive hotspots. There's very very mild inventory puzzles although usually you get the item you need to solve the puzzle in the same area. If you can't stand the robot you probably won't make it very far into this game.

BEATEN: Why Am I Dead At Sea - Solve your own murder on the high seas! This game has Earthbound style visuals, but Ghost Trick/Stacking style gameplay, where you possess people and interrogate others on the ship, and each passenger has their own unique ability (one is a pickpocket and can see into other people's pockets, one looks through keyholes, one is very good at reading tone of voice, etc.) which you use to progress through the game. There are several different endings in the ultimate conclusion, a bit of a more dangerous spin on the usual 'parlor scene' where you, via a chain sequence of possessions, reveal who you think the culprit or culprits are (and if you gently caress up too much, someone decides for you and it doesn't go so well).

BEATEN: Elliot Quest - Merely average Zelda 2 clone, the problem with this game besides being coded in javascript so it doesn't run super great, is the game adhering too strictly to old school "we won't tell you ANYTHING" design. You can be 10 screens into a dungeon and find out you're missing an item you need to progress, an item that is in some hidden forest that you have to pixel hunt around the world map to find, an area that looks entirely optional if not secret. WELP!!

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I have bad habit of starting games and not finishing them, so need to remedy that.

Beaten: Darksiders

Excellent game. Good combat, over the top executions and gore, puzzles remind me of Zelda. You really feel like a badass becoming even more badass, and the ending with the seal breaking, war coming back, and the three brothers coming along for the ride is pretty epic. Could've done without the Black Temple/voidwalker. bit of slog, used a walkthrough. Too many games to go through to screw around with the trial and error.

Looking forward to the second, but think I'll play something a little different first. Maybe Dead Space. Down to only 100 on my backlog. I have quite a bit more on Steam but I only added the games I really wanted to play in the short term, and didn't add anything MP/not really "beatable".

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I have a bad habit of starting games that cannot be finished and never buying anything else. I don't have much of a 'backlog' but I would like to play some more games at some point.

Current poo poo I'm playing:
Kerbal Space Program: About 150 hours, still haven't landed on another planet. Outer solar system and different star systems can be modded in too. Squad keep adding cool poo poo on top of that. This could run to four figures of hours played but at least I now have my completed contracts tracker so I don't do the same things on different versions any more. I docked two ships in orbit for the first time! Way easier than everybody says.

Prison Architect: About 10 hours in Early Access, played my first bit of 1.0 last night and it's just as fun as ever, hopefully with significantly less chance of laundry bugs causing prisoners to riot over their dirty uniforms. I haven't played in 18 months and how much they've added is stunning, this could run and run.

Football Manager 2015: About 60 hours, reached League One (third tier of English football) with my youth product-only team, one of the most entertaining saves I've had in any Football Manager. I resolve to never, ever, re-do a challenge I've done on an old version.

Crusader Kings 2: About 80 hours, about a century into my Hispanic Emperor run, my second proper go of the game. Last time I was Ireland so actually being able to fight holy wars is good fun, as is being emperor and having a shot at being the biggest fish in Europe. CK2 DLCs are always on offer somewhere so playing as Norse, Mongol and Islamic rulers is high on my agenda in future. Very interested in After the End, a mod set in a post-apocalyptic USA, too.

poo poo I will be playing soon:
Euro Truck Simulator 2: We're getting proper tyre physics and the ProMods map mod team are including Spain and France, countries I'm reasonably familiar with. Much more trucking to come. Some whispers of a bus DLC, too. Amazing game for relaxing and listening to new music.

Invisible Inc: Loved the base game, never gave it the time it deserved and an upcoming DLC for £4 will suit me just fine.

Sunless Sea: Spent about 40 hours on the base game and I think I'm about the only person in the universe who liked the slow pace. Sign me up for Zubmariner DLC.

BeamNG: Drive: I thought this was dead but it's gathering a lot of updates now, I don't know what it's going to end up as, but I like it.

Actual backlog: Tomb Raider The Last Revelation, Tomb Raider Chronicles, NEO: Scavenger, Thief 1 and 2, System Shock 2, MGS5: Ground Zeroes, Deus Ex Revision.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Why does this thread prefer backloggery over howlongtobeat? I know there's that tool for adding to backloggery but I don't really want to add literally every steam game, and backloggery just imports your list, and it's easy to actually add them from there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I use Steamcompletionist for steam games and backloggery for console/non-steam, it's pretty simple to keep track of on both ends

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten, kind of: Crypt of the NecroDancer

I'm going to keep playing this on and off, but I don't realistically think that I'm ever going to beat Aria mode. Whoever described it as "testing the player to destruction" upthread was completely correct.

I cleared it as both Cadence (all zones) and Melody (zone select), though, and it's still fun. Necrodancer owns. Go play it.

Null: Remember Me

Eurgh. I really want to like this game. I like the setting, I like the aesthetics, the memory remixing is a cool mechanic. But the combat is mostly tedious -- the lack of a parry, a la Batman/Mordor, hurts it a lot -- the puzzles are nothing to speak of, the levels are completely linear, and increasingly I suspect that the Errorists are, in fact, the bad guys.

Null: Strike Suit Infinity

It's a score-attack game with no win condition.

Null: Shadow Hearts: Covenant

I've had this for almost as long as I've had a PS2, and got a fair distance into it, but I never finished it. And these days? JRPGs need to be of rare and exceptional quality to attract my interest. SH:C is good, but not that good.

Null: Shattered Haven, Starseed Pilgrim, Skyward Collapse

Bundle fodder that I am never going to bother playing.

Now Playing: probably Super House of Dead ninjas.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
Last posted here in April. Back then I was still using the computer I built for myself in college. I had already been gifted games I couldn't run (and bought at least one myself). Then this summer I invested in a new rig; 6-core i7 v3, at first 16 GBs RAM I just boosted to 32 for the hell of it and an overclocked GeForce 980. So far the only games I haven't been able to completely maxed out are Grand Theft Auto V and Call of Duty: Black Ops III.

NEW
Call of Duty: World at War
Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Back to Bed
Bionic Commando
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Iron Brigade
The Floor is Jelly
Legend of Grimrock
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
The Darkness II
Ziggurat
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition
Arma 2
Dino D-Day
Warface
Grand Theft Auto V
The Talos Principal
Tropico 5
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN
Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Far Cry 4
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Game of the Year Edition
Fallout 4

BEAT
Call of Duty: World at War - I don't even remember buying, playing or beating this a few months ago, but apparently I did. Huh.
Grand Theft Auto V - This was the fastest I've ever blazed through a GTA and it's without a doubt my favorite. The online mode was okay but once I completed the story I was pretty much done, although nowhere near 100%.
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES - I got this for getting The Phantom Pain, which I got compliments my new graphics card. I had never played a Metal Gear before, but boy howdy did I underestimate what I was in for.
Far Cry 4 - Best Far Cry yet! Pagan Min deserves all the hype he gets as one of gaming's best bad guys.

COMPLETED
PAYDAY 2 - I have 367 hours in this game and counting. I've been playing since the beginning, when the grind would last roughly 100 hours just to hit the first infamy level, and that's about how long it took me, too. I called this game beat a year ago when that finally happened (I was very off and on early on). Since then I've broken the original infamy tree, which capped at V, and that's where I called it complete. As for the recent microtransaction controversy, all I'll say is that I've paid for drills, no regrets. Overkill can keep taking my money if they keep supporting this title because it's worth it.

CURRENTLY PLAYING
Fallout 4 - I've been waiting for a wicked open world game set in and around Boston my whole freakin life! Go Pats!
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN - I've maxed out my relationships with a dog and a horse, now for a real challenge...
Tropico 5 - Reached the Cold War and suddenly overall happiness and approval rating are two different things.
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - It's like Batman meets Metal Gear in Middle-earth!
Wolfenstein: The New Order - Made it to the resistance hideout and met Jimmy Hendrix.
The Talos Principal - I've just about cleared Hall A and I'm starting to tick off the computer system.
Thief - I paid full price for pre-order and then had to wait 18 months for a new computer, so I'm playing this garbage through.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, the mummy one - Lots of FMV from 1991 and crosschecking between the newspaper and sending the detectives to talk to people (aka more FMVs). It's nothing special, except that BILL CORBETT (crow from MST3K) appears as a character in this one, so if you want to see 1991 Bill Corbett then go get it

BEATEN: The Trace - iOS game about investigating crime scenes and piecing together what happened. has a deduction board that's vaguely in the frogwares sherlock mold but has only one solution rather than being open ended. Looks nice for an iOS game but is cheap in other areas (no voice acting or even character animation)

ADDED: Lara Croft GO, Spaceport Hope, Robot Exploration Squad, The Silent Age

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: Pushmo. gently caress yeah, Pushmo. Still working on the bonus puzzles.

BEATEN: Undertale. I'm going to have to say this game is, technically, overrated. Which is to say, it's merely astonishingly well done. I've seen games attempt a lot of the things Undertale does, or engage with their themes. I've also seen attempts to directly engage the player's sense of complicity with events. The best examples of these things I've seen have generally been free text games, with a few half- (Bioshock) or even three-quartered-hearted (Spec Ops: the Line, anything Kojima ever made) attempts at it in full-scale commercial games. Undertale either totally nailed the bits everyone else generally gets wrong for me, or managed to prove to me that I needed to modify my stock rants to account for distinctions it successfully drew.

"I learned something important about game design from playing this game" is one of the highest praises I can give, and here's a place where I can. In particular, it carefully distinguishes between evil routes that are the result of players giving up and taking the easy way out - which gives you as a designer some room to sting the player for their sins - and routes that are the result of a player grimly determined to see through a tedious and unfair task just because it's there. These are not the same thing, and it adjusts both the game text and the challenges presented accordingly.

Oh yeah, and the writing is pretty funny when it's working, and cringeworthy when it isn't, and no two people I've talked to about the game agree on which is which.

IN PROGRESS: Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry. I haven't played an AssCreed since Revelations, and I'm hilariously out of practice. This is going to be a warmup before I take on Dark Souls II.

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 13, 2015

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

ToxicFrog posted:

Null: Shadow Hearts: Covenant

I've had this for almost as long as I've had a PS2, and got a fair distance into it, but I never finished it. And these days? JRPGs need to be of rare and exceptional quality to attract my interest. SH:C is good, but not that good.

How far did you get? The middle drags a bit but it ends on a really high note, and the optional end-game content is way more interesting than in most JRPGs. I played it nearly 10 years ago though, so I'm not positive how well it holds up.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Eldred posted:

How far did you get? The middle drags a bit but it ends on a really high note, and the optional end-game content is way more interesting than in most JRPGs. I played it nearly 10 years ago though, so I'm not positive how well it holds up.

I honestly don't remember how far I got. I do remember a lot of tediously grey-brown dungeons full of random encounters in the early and mid game, though, and reaching a point where I had more characters than it would let me bring with me.

I really liked the writing and the characters and the mechanics, but I am so completely loving done with featureless hallways full of random encounters. The rest of the game has to be an awe-inspiring work of terrible genius to make up for it at this point, and SH:C isn't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Invisible Inc - Slick, shadowrun-style SRPG with randomized maps. it's NOT a roguelike I dunno why people call it one it's just an SRPG ya dumb rear end. Stressful, tense, fun stealth, poo poo can go bad in a hurry in the best way. My one complaint with the game is that missions don't have much in the way of variety, they're all "hack into (X), more guards show up, get out". Another great game from the Klei kids

BEATEN: Platformines - Chill mine exploring game that really doesnt have much to it. You get gems which you sell to upgrade your max health and inventory size, get better and better weapons, explore further and further, etc etc. We all know the deal.

BEATEN: Picross e6 - More picross!! Pokemon Picross is next and I will conquer it!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 16, 2015

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
//EDITED 11/23

Been a while since I posted here. Currently as of November 17th, I have beaten 79 unique games in 2015.

BEATEN: Black Ops 3 - Never owned a COD game before and haven't played the last few. With that being said, I have put about 23 hours into this. Beat the campaign and played a dozen-ish hours of multiplayer. Have an i5 and has run fine.

BEATEN: Alien Rage - This is the kind of game that most people will look and and simply pass on. It looks generic. But it is actually a really well done homage (intentional or not) to doom. its a lot of fun. Single player only.

BEATEN: Outlast - I beat it. Finally. A well done horror game. A tense experience no doubt and a lot of fun.

BEATEN: Walking Dead Season 2 - On the last episode. I'll beat this tonight for sure. It's good! I still like Wolf Among Us better, but it is good.

BEATEN: Dragon Fin Soup - 28 Hours / Level 54(or so) - A tile based turn based rogue-like int he vein of Dungeons of Dreadmore. It has a number of issues (a lot of which the devs are fixing). Despite these, I really like the game.

BEATEN: Magicka 2 - PS PLUS freebie. Hard as hell like the original but quite fun.

PLAYING: Fallout 4 - Its Fallout.

PLAYING: Citizens of Earth - A earthbound-inspired turn based, party-building rpg with a good sense of humor. About 1 hour in.

Current list of Shame (Amongst others)
Have not bought or played any of the following:
- Metal Gear V
- Gran Theft Auto V
- Batman Arkham Knight (would be on ps4)

strategery fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 23, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

looks like i have some competition in the beating games department! here's my latest batch

BEATEN: The Room Three - yeah motherfuckers the third one came out. you fuckers. you DUMB, PIECE OF poo poo IDIOTS it's out and you probably didnt know that. only the first one is on steam so go get an ipad and play The Room Two and Three already you loving scum. flip every switch, twist every dial, slide every latch, open up all the devices. this time you have a hub world connected to various other areas that have their own puzzles, and there are four endings to get based on whether you solve the optional puzzles in the hub world (do that!!)

BEATEN: Robot Exploration Squad - metroid-inspired game with probably the ugliest visuals of any metroidvania on steam. It's uglier than super panda adventures. as far as metroids go it's just alright, but the devs clearly hate speedrunning because it's almost impossible to clear the game without having a completion percentage of at least 90%. the items needed are just scattered around the map in such a way that you have to practically explore every single room.

IMPASSE: Spaceport Hope - The game is unwinnable currently due to an NPC bug, so I completed it as far as I can with this current version. I will probably go back to it if nothing else than to explore the optional planets.

BEATEN: Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective #3 - this one involves hypnotism and i'm not sure that lestrade and scotland yard would be so down on accepting such a theory so, I think this one is a little hairy in the logic department!!!

ADDED: Charnel House Trilogy, Happy Cat Picross (aw yea)

HMMM: Gurumin - I reached a point where I can't progress until I get enough gold medals to get an accessory that will make a character laugh so he can unlock a level. I don't really like grinding/repetition. This is a major on-the-fence moment right now.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 21, 2015

Lavatein
May 5, 2009

HMMM: Gurumin - I reached a point where I can't progress until I get enough gold medals to get an accessory that will make a character laugh so he can unlock a level.

Use the gas mask from the shop, you probably already have it!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

BEATEN: The Room Three

Not released on Android, yet. :( I suppose I'll have to start following their Twitter feed. Big fan of the other two.

As an update:

"Beat" - Super Mario Maker: As much as anyone can call this game beaten. I've unlocked all the level parts, beat the various 100 Mario Challenges, beat the hidden fly swatter game, etc. Really fun if you're a fan of custom Mario levels. Not so much if you hate having to sift through poo poo to find the gems. I'll definitely pick this up every so often to check out the latest levels that people have made.

Edit since I'm still the last post.

Completed - Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker: If you liked the Captain Toad levels in Super Mario 3D World, you will love this game. Otherwise, give it a pass.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 29, 2015

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Is it just me, or is this thread moving slower than it used to?

COMPLETED: Magicka II. This one really felt like something put out just to make a quick profit off of the first Magicka's popularity. Same basic gameplay, but it just wasn't as good as the first game.

NULLED: Numen: Contest of Heroes. This one wouldn't run at all on my PC, so I guess I'll never find out if it's any good.

NULLED: AGEOD's American Civil War, Revolution Under Siege, and Rise of Prussia. These three games all have sequels or updated re-releases out, so they're obsolete and can be skipped.

COMPLETED: Defenders of Ardania. A fairly generic tower defence game. Still better than Majesty II, although not by much.

COMPLETED: King Arthur: The Saxons. Nowhere near as good as the base game's campaign, this expansion is more of a sandbox compared to the tightly-scripted base game.

PLAYED: King Arthur: The Druids. The second expansion to King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame, it's almost identical to The Saxons, you just play as the Welsh instead of the... Saxons. I played a bit and then skipped it, because it was just a carbon copy of a thing I'd already finished.

MASTERED: Sword of Asumi. I say mastered, but it's a Visual Novel. It took me only a few hours to get 100% achievements. This is an absolutely terrible excuse for a story. For example, the game is supposedly set in a world where Japan remained completely closed right up to the present day; and yet, all the characters wear modern Western-style clothes, exactly what you'd see walking around in the real-world Tokyo. If the writers can't even bother putting a moment's thought into their world-building... basically, avoid this one unless you hate yourself.

PLAYED: Life is Strange. Despite hearing from a lot of people that this is really good, I just couldn't get into it. There's something about Telltale-style adventure games that really turns me off; I didn't get very far with Walking Dead Season 1, either.

Next up: Dragon Age: Inquisition. Should be a good one.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

If it's moving slower, I'll chip in for my blue moon post with some games I beat recently.

Beat: Transformers: DEVASTATION - I was apprehensive after the Korra game (which I still need to finish), and knowing barely anything about Transformers certainly made me hold off. After playing it at a friend's and with a conveniently placed free Redbox weekend I rented this game and went through the campaign a couple times. Exceeded my expectations! Definitely not Platinum's best of course, but certainly a great game. Going to pick it up at some point and really dig deep into it.

Beat: Heavy Rain - I had some problems with the story, but I really liked it. That first hour is slow but once I was hooked, I was hooked. Slapped myself in the head for not figuring out who the killer was until the reveal (it just HAD to be the character I liked a lot). I've had Beyond: Two Souls PS3 for a while due to it being $6 on the PSN store earlier this year, but no one seems to like it that much so I think I'll give it some space before trying it out. Curious to hear if the PS4 version's chronological story ordering improves anyone's opinions.

Beat: Emily Is Away - Brutal text adventure styled game. If you talked a ton on AIM or similar programs, this game can cut deep and root out all of those long-repressed emotions you were sure you'd never think about again. It's not even an hour long and is free on Steam, if 2002-2006 AIM nostalgia seems remotely intriguing to you, I urge you to give it a shot. If you don't like it you won't lose much time. One warning is that you're simulating an IM client, but you choose between 3 text choices every time. So you can pick "2. What are you doing this weekend?" but the actual on screen message may wind up as "haha, yeah. so, what are you doing this weekend". Just mash keys on your keyboard to get to the result, you don't have genuine control over what is sent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Environmental Station Alpha - We already know this is one of the best metroids on Steam, but what impresses me about it is the sheer amount of content. I beat the game at maybe 75% and there were still 5 (optional?) upgrades I was missing, and some sort of area that I think having all the disks unlocks?? And an area that only unlocks at 100%??? Plus there's a free expansion area now?? Yea yea yea yea!

BEATEN: D4 - Dark Dreams Don't Die - Meanwhile on the other side of the spectrum, what the heck Swery. Who pulled the rug out from under you? The story barely has enough time to get going and then immediately it ends on a cliffhanger. That's no good. I hope that the second season is going to be significantly more substantial. Based on the first episode, I really felt like the purpose of this game was going to go beyond just the airplane incident and maybe go all sorts of places. Season two had better deliver on that.

BEATEN: Tick Tock Isle - Cute one-hour side-scrolling adventure game controlled via keyboard where you time travel back and forth and solve puzzles. It will not dethrone Day of the Tentacle, but it's amusing and fun, and its only $3 MSRP to begin with.

ADDED: The Beginner's Guide, 1000 Amps, Olympia Rising, Hot Tin Roof, Dropsy, Mirror of Fate HD, Tales From the Borderlands, Lost Horizon, Life is Strange Ep 2-5, Chroma Squad, Master Spy, The Spatials, Final Fantasy 13-2, Grandia II Anniversary, Device6, 80 Days, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Shantae & the Pirate's Curse, Etrian Odyssey Untold

so yeah I bought a few games

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - Hitman GO: This is a great puzzle game with awesome graphics for a mobile game. I really love the concept.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I’ve been playing a few things this month.
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation. Hmm. The high points of this are brilliant, going back to the isolation and remoteness of the original Tomb Raider, but there are a few additions I’m not sure of. The main one is due to the PSX’s mighty 2MB RAM. The Last Revelation is better looking than its predecessors but that comes at a cost of smaller levels, so to compensate they’ve made it so that you can go back and forth between them, making them effectively even bigger. It just seems to lead to confusion as previously if you missed something it was immediately obvious, you just couldn’t get further. In TLR, I’ve had several instances of wandering around for ages, wondering if I was in the right level because I grabbed 2 artifacts instead of 3 and thought I was done with that section.
Also there are a few arbitrary things that work and don’t work. I tried a crowbar on a gate, didn’t work, got stuck for ages when the solution was to use the crowbar on a totally identical gate elsewhere in the level. Also there’s a part where you need to prise a hook out of a wall to grab a key, hope you don’t do what I did and come up with the idea and conclude that it doesn’t work because you tried it on one of the two that can’t be removed, getting stuck for ages because it turns out that it only works on one of the three for reasons.
It’s on the backburner for now, I got a bit tired of being frustrated by things like that.

Played more Crusader Kings 2. getting pretty powerful now as the Empire of Hispania. I did have an epic struggle to keep my empire intact after France attacked for one of my duchies at the same time as I was being holy warred for my African territories. And then there were the dual Jihads for Andalusia I had to fight off. Managed to survive a regency and take the kingdoms of England and Sweden despite all that. Game owns.

Kerbal Space Program still owns, still playing it, still my #1 ranked game for time played since May 2012 (170+ hours), still not landed on any other planets. Got several probes heading there, though and with my new contract tracker I never repeat myself and I’m actually doing more advanced, newer, things instead of grinding money and science. Also means that Kerbin-system jobs are fewer and farther between. Very proud of myself for assembling a transport for 2000 units of fuel in orbit and landing it on the Moon, never managed an in-orbit assembly before. Looking forward to 1.1 as that’ll bump the memory limit past 4GB, I’m getting slowdown and the occasional crash at the moment but putting up with it as every mod I’m using I could no longer do without.

Prison Architect in release form is even better and deeper than I hoped, I’ve got a very nice 70-man prison going and the grants are starting to dry up and I’ve used every room apart from the fact that I’ve not unlocked executions, the devs are still adding to this so I’m sure there’s lots more to come. Not really touched the informant system, though it’s starting to become necessary as I’m getting prisoners killed because I didn’t know they were an ex-cop or a snitch in the company of volatile, deadly high security guys. Only got one gang member too, so there’s a lot left of this.

I beat The Talos Principle: Road to Gehenna, which was excellent. I was worried that it would be too hard after hearing that the puzzles started off as hard as the endgame of the main game, but somehow they’re never frustrating, you never feel out of ideas for long and there’s usually small victories and discoveries coming along at a good rate. The story didn’t grab me like the main game’s but it was interesting enough to look forward to the next terminal.

My fiancée and family are kindly buying me a GTX970 for Christmas, happily it comes with Assassins Creed Syndicate which I was planning to play after skipping Rogue and Unity anyway.

On the list to possibly drop some money on DLCs but their number hasn’t come up yet are Cities: Skylines, in which I’ve already designed an interesting island group to play on rather than the flat default, Assetto Corsa, with the Dream Pack 2 looking excellent and Invisible Inc.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Null: SpaceChem - Played a couple hours in. Interesting at first, but when they introduced managing multiple reactors, it started to tank my enjoyment of the game. I'd given it a try a couple years ago, with the same result.

Null: Company of Heroes - This is another game which I played briefly many years ago and ignored afterward. Was playing World of Tanks during the past week or so and I figured this might scratch a similar itch thematically. The cutscenes were surprisingly well done, and the game seemed to have a nice variety of units and other features. It was kind of neat that infantry units could split off to man machine gun turrets, artillery pieces and such, though a lot of the really heavy guns seemed a little bit clunky to use. The core gameplay was a little bit frustrating for me: although it's realistic to see units dive for cover and plink it out, it causes the combat to drag a bit. I guess the units were just a little bit too autonomous for me. Probably going to shelve this one for the time being.

New: Jade Empire, Hand of Fate - Cruising for a new game to play, starting to activate some games that were sitting in my gift inventory.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm not really finishing games at the same clip I used to.

NEW GAMES: Crashmo, SquareCells. Given the amount of time I put into Pushmo and the HexCells games, these were pretty obvious choices.

BEATEN: Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Not 100% sure where I got this. Not super impressed, and it's getting to the point where I'm thinking I just don't like WayForward's output.

COMPLETED: SquareCells. I was not disappointed. At the end of the day this is just enhanced picross, but the final dozen puzzles are as fiendish as the best of the Hexcells games.

BEATEN: Out There Somewhere. Manic Miner/VVVVVV-style game, mostly, with some half-hearted shmup sequences and a genuinely fun 2D portal mechanic that let you do more stuff than the old Portal-themed flash games. This is another game I'm not sure where I got it; I suspect I picked this up when it dropped to nineteen cents in some sale just to see what kind of sad-rear end game sells for nineteen cents, and the answer turns out to be "one that's pretty great, albeit one you can beat in under an hour without trying very hard." At its full asking price It doesn't meet my usual standard of value for money (40 minutes of gameplay per dollar spent) but it wasn't an insult either.

IN PROGRESS: Crashmo, Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry. Crashmo continues to be loving amazing, and Freedom Cry isn't working so well for me but I'm 2/3s of the way through it and have some big naval battles coming up. I think I have nevertheless proven to myself that I'm done with the AssCreed franchise after this.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

MykonosFan posted:

Beat: Heavy Rain - I had some problems with the story, but I really liked it. That first hour is slow but once I was hooked, I was hooked. Slapped myself in the head for not figuring out who the killer was until the reveal (it just HAD to be the character I liked a lot). I've had Beyond: Two Souls PS3 for a while due to it being $6 on the PSN store earlier this year, but no one seems to like it that much so I think I'll give it some space before trying it out. Curious to hear if the PS4 version's chronological story ordering improves anyone's opinions.
I found Beyond Two Souls better, for what it's worth. I only played it on the PS3, I think it works fine with the time sequence as it is. All of David Cage's games I've liked on some level, although they do always nosedive in the last act. Beyond felt really big and cinematic and had some good emotional cinematic moments, which seems to be what he's always been going for, so I'd say it's his best one yet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ManxomeBromide posted:

BEATEN: Shantae: Risky's Revenge. Not 100% sure where I got this. Not super impressed, and it's getting to the point where I'm thinking I just don't like WayForward's output.

Pirate's Curse is a much much much better game, for what it's worth.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: 1000 Amps - Lite-metroid puzzle game where you're a bulb charging up rooms. It's really simple but cute. My one problem with it is that it's locked to a lovely low resolution, even windowed, and you can't seem to change it??? Makes the map system impossible to read.

BEATEN: Olympia Rising - Platformer that emphasizes combos, speed and collecting coins in order to progress. Not much to say about this one??

BEATEN: Dr. Langeskov - Can YOU get all seven endings? Including the secret "vault" ending???

BEATEN: The Beginner's Guide - Hummm how to rate this one. I'd call it a bad game but a fantastic narrative. Maybe should be bought at lowest possible price. I would like everyone on Tumblr who appropriates the hard work of others to play this game. The reason people say not to spoil yourself before playing is because, you just can't go in with knowledge or the narrative is ruined. And then you're just playing some lovely collection of games.

ADDED: Dyscourse, Monstrum, CrossCode, Lichdom Battlemage

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have tried to avoid all those lovely bundle games for a while, which has made me more interested in gaming again.

Finished: Assassin's Creed Syndicate
With a completion rate of 98%, I really, really enjoyed this year's Assassin's Creed game.
There is really nothing groundbreaking new in Ubisoft's collectathon, but they just made a really good, polished and enjoyable AAA game.
Two protagonists that are interchangeable during the game, though they each have their own missions. The writing was good. Hell, I even laughed out loud a few times at some of the poo poo they say.
There are a lot of different kind of side missions and activities, and none are really lovely or even annoying. Gone are the hated escort missions and instead there are "kidnap" missions, but they can again be handled in different ways (lead your victim along or just punch him out and throw him over the shoulder). Another type of missions I didn't care for earlier, the tailing missions, are also mostly gone. There are few sections where you have to follow someone, but it's not like you have to be within eavesdropping range.
Graphics, just like in AC:Unity, are beautiful, and it's really the only the game where you feel like you are in a big bustling city. Even GTA V feels empty compared to Unity and Syndicate. I also only had one crash/lock-up in the 72 hours I played the game.
You also get to hang out with Charles Darwin, Charles Dickens, Karl Marx and the Queen, and especially the first two are pretty drat funny.
I would go so far as to categorize this as one of the best AC games ever, up there with Black Flag and Brotherhood, and I can't wait to play the Jack the Ripper DLC (that I'll get in my pre-ordered season pass DLC OMG!!!)

Finished: Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
It's a pretty amusing walking simulator by one/some of the people from The Stanley Parable, and if you like the latter, you'll probably also enjoy this one.
Just don't read the Steam forum for this game, as that is one big "Let's run this joke into the ground".
A tip though: Space is the action key and do use that on everything, like grabbing the cassette recorder and then grab every audio cassette you come across. I only realized that on my fourth playthrough and it just made some of the jokes going on in the game so much better.

Finished: Mind Snares: Alice's Journey
A standard Hidden Object/Adventure-lite game. Can't even remember what it was about, but I'm sure I searched through a lot of messy scenes to find that one thing I could use to open a door.

Finished: Season Match 3 - Curse of the Witch Crow
It's a really polished Match-3 game with plenty of levels. There is both a story mode with two difficulty levels and a timed arcade mode. Around 12 hours of casual entertainment for a few bucks is pretty good in my book. Just remember, like with the Hidden Object games, to ignore whatever story is being told. It's often even worse than most RPG Maker games.
The first two Season Match games are also pretty decent.

Finished: Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015: Do You Still Shower With Your Dad?
I marked this as finished in that I played a few games on the three first game modes. Not sure how to unlock the two locked items, and I'm honestly not that interested.
It's an OK idea and fun for half an hour.

Finished: Thief
I've never played any of the original Thief games, so I didn't have any nostalgia towards the series going in.
I had a lot of fun with this game. It's no Dishonored, so you can't really go "sneak, sneak, fight, fight", as Garrett is not really that good at fighting. If you make a mistake, get the gently caress out!
Really the only big complaint I have, is annoying loading between sections of the map. Apparently this was due to the game being made for consoles, as they couldn't, at the time, handle big maps. I would guess the engine used for the game also wasn't really good at open world scenarios. I really wish the developers hadn't tried to emulate an open world map like this. Especially since you can't fast travel either, and you always had to cross from one end of the map to the next for a mission. There was really no reason for that.
The different missions were really fun, except for the asylum mission. gently caress that poo poo, I didn't pick a horror game. Stop acting like this is suddenly a horror game!
Yeah, there's a reason I'll never play the new Alien game :(

Now playing
I started up Fallout 4, but before really getting into it, AC: Syndicate came out. Then just as I finished that, Just Cause 3 came and I have just started that up.
In between those two, I also have Tales of the Borderlands and LOOP for the puzzle fix.
Probably gonna give up on Skyrim as I haven't touched it since July, and the 27 hours I have in the slightly modded game (community patches, UI etc.) feels like enough. It's just so grey/white and boring to look at.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Nulled: Mirror's Edge

Didn't get terrible far in but the game play just wasn't for me

Nulled: Remember Me

The setting seemed pretty cool but I just don't really enjoy the combat style. Seemed somewhat similar other games like Batman which I didn't find fun as well.

Nulled: Brothers, Tale of Two Sons.

Really wanted to keep going. The visuals and music were outstanding the story seemed fantastic as well. The dual control of the brothers seemed interesting but ultimately I didn't enjoy the game play. I guess I am just not a big puzzle game person. I would encourage people to try it out though since you can find it usually for a few bucks and it is a really well made game. Seriously, I can't get over how good the music and visuals were.

Back in the day I would probably have given these games more time but with full-time work and full-time school my game time is very limited and I need to find games that really stick with me.

Started: Lichdom: Battlemage

Interesting so far, the spell system is cool but lets see if the game play gets stale or stays fresh. Also this game seems buggy, locked up 3 or 4 times messing with the settings. Game play hasn't had any issues though.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NULLED: Monstrum - it sucks

BEATEN: Dyscourse - VN-type game with great art style and direct control of your character. Seems to have a lot of different outcomes, in my first playthrough I ended up saving only 3 of the 6 survivors, and it wouldn't surprise me if there were different ways of being rescued as well. Each playthrough is only 45min to an hour to encourage multiple tries (and you also will unlock the ability to replay days and rethink your decisions).

BEATEN: Master Spy - Similar game to Stealth Inc but with a brutal difficulty curve. It's not quite Super Meat Boy but you will have your reflexes and timing really tested with this game.

BEATEN: Charnel House Trilogy - It's not a Wadjet Eye game but the art is by artists who have done Wadjet Eye games so it has that level of production value. Not a conventional adventure, however. It's a three-part story that's psychological horror, I suppose. No jump scares or anything like that.