Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gyre posted:

What's a fun, challenging but not too difficult achievement to go for on my first ironman run? A Kaiser Not Just In Name starting as Austria? I've gotten really bored of my Portugal run because I'm just sitting around waiting for things to get colonized, so I want something that makes me think.

King of Jerusalem or Luck of the Irish are pretty good but may require some restarts,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Playing Mongolia, it's now 1600, I have conquered all of China and the good bits of India. But god drat am I still poor as gently caress. Between my ~60 units (of which 24 are cav, 24 art, the rest inf) and my 5 forts, I actually run a negative balance per month. Good thing there's always land what needs burning. I'm tempted to reform the government to attempt to improve my financials, but it would only put me in the Chinese tech group, and with my 50% core discount I basically core all provinces for free once you consider all the free points from razing. Playing a Horde is way too much fun.

Gyre posted:

What's a fun, challenging but not too difficult achievement to go for on my first ironman run? A Kaiser Not Just In Name starting as Austria? I've gotten really bored of my Portugal run because I'm just sitting around waiting for things to get colonized, so I want something that makes me think.

The Great Khan is maybe the most fun of them all, especially now that Hordes are bananas. Pick the Golden Horde, strange Muscovy in the cradle, roll face towards China.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

negative prestige is probably the case.

To clarify, you lose your PU if your prestige is negative when your king dies. I think negative relations can also do it but since you can improve to +200 that's not an issue.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
If you look through this list it sorts most of the achievements by (albeit somewhat arbitrary) difficulty. Pretty much any "Start as <big nation> and <gain territory or fulfill a decision requirement>" achievement is fairly easy, with a few exceptions for ones that are specifically designed to be tricky. I usually just look through what achievements I haven't done yet and pick ones based on what country or region I haven't played as/in in a while and go from there.

e: To give some actual examples from memory: Sweden is overpowered and the other Swedish achievement are pretty fun to get in one run, and the entire Balkans region is a fun little thunderdome with the HRE nearby to make things interesting. The Teutonic Order/Prussia/Germany achievements can be fun if you haven't messed around with the HRE a lot and aren't sick of it yet.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 13, 2015

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Gyre posted:

Forming Russia is easy and its fun stomping over all your neighbors

How is horde unity affected by weak claims

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

How is horde unity affected by weak claims

Not at all.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Lord Binky posted:

It's pretty lame that being the lesser partner in a union clears all of your permanent claims

I haven't seen it but this sounds like a bug.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

beefytomato posted:

Anyone know what's going on here?

http://imgur.com/Kuy4WhO

This happened as soon as I loaded my last save. The game crashes if I click on any of my colonies' provinces, and all my alliances and diplomatic stuff are gone, aside from an embargo by France for some reason.

Your save is corrupt :( I think it's irretrievable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What the gently caress. Rebels can't convert you unless you're in the same religious group now? So I guess if you want to play Manchu and have the badass burnt orange tag color, you don't get to use the cool Tengri mechanics. You just have to go gently caress yourself instead. It doesn't even make sense because you have like 4 Confucian provinces so you get massive RU penalties for taking the decision. I now have no Confucian provinces, or even a way to get any unless I annex parts of Korea or Ming.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm doing my first horde game, a Great Khan run with the Golden Horde. It's going okay so far - I've vassalized Georgia and Crimea, I'm eating as much Nogai as I can before Muscovy can, QQ has been beaten to pulp and Timmy is imploding.

However, I'm chronically strapped for cash. I can't get out of a deficit outside of keeping maintenance at zero. I go and pillage the occasional OPM or 2PM for their lunch money so I won't go into debt, but I have basically no margin for error. I'm razing poo poo to keep up with tech, but it also means most of my new provinces are lovely 3 dev provinces that produce next to nothing.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Elman posted:

To clarify, you lose your PU if your prestige is negative when your king dies. I think negative relations can also do it but since you can improve to +200 that's not an issue.

It's not an issue for players but I've noticed that AI Poland usually manages to utterly tank relations with Lithuania by siphoning income repeatedly to get out of debt.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
england and portugal are intruding in my pond. fortunately I've caught up to them in tech despite never westernising. :japan:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tendronai posted:

It's not an issue for players but I've noticed that AI Poland usually manages to utterly tank relations with Lithuania by siphoning income repeatedly to get out of debt.
That does seem historically accurate to do in general however. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Larry Parrish posted:

What the gently caress. Rebels can't convert you unless you're in the same religious group now? So I guess if you want to play Manchu and have the badass burnt orange tag color, you don't get to use the cool Tengri mechanics. You just have to go gently caress yourself instead. It doesn't even make sense because you have like 4 Confucian provinces so you get massive RU penalties for taking the decision. I now have no Confucian provinces, or even a way to get any unless I annex parts of Korea or Ming.

You can't convert to a Pagan religion and forming Manchu changes your religion to Confucianism so yeah, no more Tengri for you.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I've reached roughly the peak of the borders of the historical Japanese Empire; I've conquered the Ainu and Kamchat tribes to the north, as well as most of Manchuria (there's a peak Mongol-sized horde whose eastern border snakes into Manchuria a little bit. I've curbstomped them before and I'm quite sure I can do so again, but I think I'll be building up on what I've got before I do any other major expansion). I've colonised almost the entirety of the PI, all of Taiwan, and conquered or vassalised most of Indonesia; Malacca had eaten a few of her neighbours so I beat her up and freed them and made them my vassals. I've got a few provinces in Borneo but most of it is British colonies. I'll deal with them eventually, I guess.

revere the emperor :japan:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eej posted:

You can't convert to a Pagan religion and forming Manchu changes your religion to Confucianism so yeah, no more Tengri for you.

It's retarded that I can't convert even though I have zero same-religion provinces. It's like when the Papacy ends up with all Reformed provinces but can't convert so they are just stuck having a big rebellion every 10 years.

Anyway I started in London as a Norse CN for the achievement. It's pretty easy since I started with 20% land morale and core cost reduction as my traditions to fill out the rest of the 200 point limit, but it sucks waiting for truces. You suffer from the average British Isles thing where it's super hard to expand to the continent in most cases.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lmao that gigantic horde blob on the manchurian border tried to westernise, and they almost totally succumbed to a combination of reactionary rebels, noble rebels, and various regional powers declaring war to poach border provinces. I sent a couple of divisions of my army over the border and swept through with virtually no resistance (nearly every province in the eastern 3/4 of their territory was occupied by rebels) and racked up 66% warscore before finally reaching and sieging their capital which I think was somewhere in what is now afghanistan. it was a long walk.

I took all their provinces in Manchuria and forced them to give a whole bunch of others to one of my vassals, made them release a giant horde buffer state and give me a bunch of money. doing this caused me to eclipse them, giving me +10 power projection on top of the +44 I got for the victory. :owned:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just formed England since I was English primary culture and had just finished them off. Anyway I now can Reconquest for their French cores, and the Irish cores I just conquered in war. Lmao. That makes no sense, really. Sadly I don't get the option to take English ideas even though I thought player CNs could do that? Mine are better for this achievement anyway.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

drat i was afraid it'd leave me with no horde unity. i should have taken that weak 5/5/5 event heir then.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

My Great Khan runs are getting multiple and quickly aborted. My first one was over because I was never able to ally anyone of consequence and then the OE curbstomped me. Then a few games where I tried to grab Crimea early but they found a friend in another country and it was pointless to keep going when the game was so young. Now I had a nice start but then got curbstomped by a Muscovy who ate Novgorod early on and was too much to handle. Maybe I need to try to strangle Muscovy in the crib next?

Edit: Muscovy are too strong with their vassal swarm. It seems like you need a perfect storm to survive for longer than a few decades: OE needs to be willing to ally you so you can survive in the long term, and Muscovy needs to lose a war before winning one so that you can swoop in and cripple them before they cripple you or become too powerful.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 13, 2015

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

VDay posted:

If you look through this list it sorts most of the achievements by (albeit somewhat arbitrary) difficulty. Pretty much any "Start as <big nation> and <gain territory or fulfill a decision requirement>" achievement is fairly easy, with a few exceptions for ones that are specifically designed to be tricky. I usually just look through what achievements I haven't done yet and pick ones based on what country or region I haven't played as/in in a while and go from there.

e: To give some actual examples from memory: Sweden is overpowered and the other Swedish achievement are pretty fun to get in one run, and the entire Balkans region is a fun little thunderdome with the HRE nearby to make things interesting. The Teutonic Order/Prussia/Germany achievements can be fun if you haven't messed around with the HRE a lot and aren't sick of it yet.

Thanks to this I went for a Brandenburg run where Hesse(?!) got elected emperor right after Austria, allowing me to sweep the Emperorship out from under him after two Hessen emperors. Of course, now Poland hates me because I own Neumark but at least I've got mega-Burgundy and Austria on my side. Going for either An Early Reich or A Kaiser Not Just in Name.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 13, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My For Odin run just got way too tedious when I was invading Scandinavia... Also it didn't help that all of my allies decided to ally eachother and rival me instead, so every single war turned into GB + Vassal Brittany + a few random allies against PLC/Muscovy/Novgorod/Sweden/France/Aragon every single time.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Playing Mongolia, it's now 1600, I have conquered all of China and the good bits of India. But god drat am I still poor as gently caress. Between my ~60 units (of which 24 are cav, 24 art, the rest inf) and my 5 forts, I actually run a negative balance per month. Good thing there's always land what needs burning. I'm tempted to reform the government to attempt to improve my financials, but it would only put me in the Chinese tech group, and with my 50% core discount I basically core all provinces for free once you consider all the free points from razing. Playing a Horde is way too much fun.

The Great Khan is maybe the most fun of them all, especially now that Hordes are bananas. Pick the Golden Horde, strange Muscovy in the cradle, roll face towards China.

You should grab Trade. I've taken to grabbing it in place of influence because it lets you field at least another stack usually. On a related note I'm still not sure what the optimal groups are in what order but I think I like Admin/Dip/Humanist/Trade as my first four the most.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Can someone post a Kazani hording for idiots guide? I have no idea what the new horde mechanics are and Muscovy keeps kicking my poo poo in on day one.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

A Hording for Idiots guide in general would be nice.

I think The Great Khan is beyond me right now, but the Jurchen->Manchu->Qing path seems a little more reasonable.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

1. Have good credit.
2. Order a bunch of poo poo off QVC.
3. Never throw anything away.

You're welcome.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Aw, you don't get to keep the Dhimmi estate after westernising? That's a shame, I enjoyed using them as a money cow. :(

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Huh, going Sikh turns your special Hindu estate names into normal ones.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Antti posted:

A Hording for Idiots guide in general would be nice.

I think The Great Khan is beyond me right now, but the Jurchen->Manchu->Qing path seems a little more reasonable.

Always be at war
Always take max war score worth of provinces
raze all the provinces and return the ones you don't like

get rid of your lovely tribes estate because the autonomy floor takes too much of your income for manpower you don't need.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Late last night I think I realized how Tribes are actually supposed to be used. It's a lot of micro, but you essentially get -20% Cav Cost and +20% Manpower (I forget the exact number) for free.

See, having the Tribes own provinces doesn't technically hold any penalty. It just sets an autonomy floor of 50. But since you're a Horde that's constantly at war, what you want to do is give them every newly conquered province, whose autonomy will all be over 50% anyway. Just make sure they don't get more than 35% of development to keep Influence down. Periodically look back through your country, find any province that's tribe controlled, and take it away if actual autonomy is getting close to 50. The Tribes don't actually care if you take provinces away really, only that they control 33% of total development.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

PittTheElder posted:

Late last night I think I realized how Tribes are actually supposed to be used. It's a lot of micro, but you essentially get -20% Cav Cost and +20% Manpower (I forget the exact number) for free.

See, having the Tribes own provinces doesn't technically hold any penalty. It just sets an autonomy floor of 50. But since you're a Horde that's constantly at war, what you want to do is give them every newly conquered province, whose autonomy will all be over 50% anyway. Just make sure they don't get more than 35% of development to keep Influence down. Periodically look back through your country, find any province that's tribe controlled, and take it away if actual autonomy is getting close to 50. The Tribes don't actually care if you take provinces away really, only that they control 33% of total development.

So they need to be between 33-35% of development for maximum efficiency? drat that sounds tedious. I guess it gets easier (yet simultaneously more time consuming) as you get huge, though

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No, they need 33% of development to not take a loyalty penalty. But you don't want to go and give them like 45% of your land, because it'll drive their influence above 80, triggering the disaster.

In practice I go back and review my estates map mode after big wars. Remove the Tribes from provinces where autonomy is close to 50, then assign newly conquered provinces to them until the alert goes away. A little tedious, but worth it for Cav Cost alone.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Does razing give AE?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nope.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
I think this is the best patch ever for playing a non-European country and I'm glad.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Aaaah, almost done with my Theodoro game. Since everyone near me has been essentially falling apart due to everyone ganging up on them or rebellions aplenty, I have successfully captured half of Russia, with the other half owned by Novgorod who is in a personal union with me.

So yeah, I'm pretty much going to be Russia except Gothic culture, which means I can't make Russia. :<

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
After a few decades of peace and catching up in mil tech I went on the offense again and things look ok at the end of the 17th century.

I'm knee deep in debt though from previous wars against the Ottomans, which cost me a ton of gold for mercs. I also made several economic and political mistakes and pacifying the Balkans took forever. I also somewhat regret that I had to take out Hungary, with the "historical friends" trait, they made perfect allies. But I really needed the land access through Lika and Poland is a way stronger ally than Hungary.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Protip for forming Manchu: before you take the decision to unite the Jurchens, make sure you take the pagan religious decisions, because they carry over when you convert to Confucianism. The only tricky part is that your ruler needs at least 3 admin to enact the really good one (Religious Sacrifices, -20% stability cost and +1 yearly prestige). If you're starting as Jianzhou you'll need to wait for your first ruler to die. You also can get -1 unrest and +2 heathen tolerance.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I never got that far, I was consolidating and getting ready to switch to Manchu when Korea decided they really wanted Huncun. Ming jumped in, I retreated into the northern wilderness and tried to hit back without losing my entire stack but they just kept coming, and then I ran out of manpower. My favourite part was how Mongolia got independent, ate the rest of the other northern hordes, allied me and then didn't bother joining the war to even give me a fighting chance.

All the Manchu tips online say you should ally Oirat, but I haven't been able to in half a dozen starts.

This seems to keep happening, if I try playing as anything but a secure European power like OE, Portugal or England I just get stomped. Maybe there's some One Weird Trick to fighting defensive wars that I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Quick random question, Good Produced isn't an option in the nation designer right? It's not just me being blind?

• Locked thread