Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Where is the best place to get marvel figures online in Canada? Thinking about starting collecting but have nonidea where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only one I know that's in Canada is Toysonfire.com, but they adjust their prices based on rarity.

Ebay always works.

Edit: And toy fares or comic conventions if you have any locally. Comic conventions are like 10% comics at best these days, then it's 50% Funko Pops, 15% swords from pop culture, and the rest assorted other merchandise.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 8, 2015

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Fsmhunk posted:

Where is the best place to get marvel figures online in Canada? Thinking about starting collecting but have nonidea where to start.

What lines are you interested in? Marvel Legends (6"), Marvel Universe (3 3/4"), Marvel Select (slightly larger then the Legends) or the older 90s figures?

After you know that, I would go through a database (something like http://marvelousnews.com/database/index.php?itemid=164) and then make a list of all the figures you are interested in.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

therealjon_ posted:

If you are willing to pay a bit more, nothing beats Figuarts.

Wow, yeah, that Battle Droid is incredible. I hope they do one of the yellow commanders, although I guess that would be a pretty easy repaint. How well do they scale with Black Series?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Anybody still interested in Mighty Muggs? I found a box of loose ones I'd forgotten about from ages ago, and it'd be nice to send them to a good home.

Also found the older Sideshow Darth Vader and Emperor from like 2009 if somebody has interest.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Thanks. I definitely don't want to buy anything, but I really like looking and just pawing through Jedibusiness is boring. I'm just curious what people have been really impressed by.

I really didn't pay attention during the time, but The Vintage Collection was about 50% great figures. I've ended up with most of them on card backs because seeing the vintage style is just so cool to me.

My favorites are the Luke Bespin, General Grievous, Bossk, IG88, C-3PO (same as black series), Gamorrean Guard (probably the best), Klaatu, Walrus Man, and the Emperor's Royal Guard. But pretty much anything from that line will be the best representation of the figure even if it doesn't knock the ball out of the park.

There's still not a Leia in any form at the 3.75 scale that looks great and they have a hard time getting Han's face right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even high end toys can't get Han Solo or Indiana Jones right. There's just something about Harrison Ford's face.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rumor has it that he's never completely released his likeness for action figures, and it's intentional that no toy actually looks like him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Aphrodite posted:

Even high end toys can't get Han Solo or Indiana Jones right. There's just something about Harrison Ford's face.

This is actually the most accurate depiction of Ford there is:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Travis343 posted:

Rumor has it that he's never completely released his likeness for action figures, and it's intentional that no toy actually looks like him.

That's not true at all. Toy companies can't release a Harrison Ford character without getting the sign off on his likeness, he just has a face that is really hard to capture in sculpt.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Current rumormill has the following characters for the X-Men Marvel Legends wave next year:

- Phoenix
- Havok
- Cable
- Iceman
- Kitty Pride
- Deadpool
- Wolverine
- Rogue

BAF is still unknown but people are speculating Wolverine may be Laura and that Deadpool is the movie version (though I'm not sure if they can mix X-Men movie and comic versions). Overall an extremely solid wave of figures that desperately need a redo or are impossible to find today at a decent price. Kinda disappointed by the lack of villains or original figures but if the list is true I'm having a hard time spotting a dud or figure that would pegwarm.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In my opinion, Hasbro peaked with its 4" line as Revenge of the Sith was winding down. Their "super articulated" sub-line has great sculpts, great paint applications, great articulation, and generally great value. Of the hundreds (thousands?) of figures I have, here are my favorites:

Vintage Han Solo This was their inaugural figure in the "vintage" line, which used original-styled Kenner cardbacks with new super articulated figures. Everything about this figure is amazing. I've heard some complain about the head sculpt but I honestly can't think of a better looking Harrison Ford in this scale.

Evolutions Revenge ff the Sith Anakin Skywalker. The head sculpt is Hayden Christensen and articulation works well.

Revenge of the Sith Obi-Wan Kenobi It doesn't look completely like Ewan McGregor but the articulation works so well. One of the last attempts Hasbro used for a plastic "skirt" of the Jedi tunic that looks so much better than the cloth they later used and I think works nearly as well (I also think it would hold up to ball jointed hips).

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The BAF is Juggernaut.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I can vouch for that Revenge of the Sith Obi-Wan figure. It's one of the few Star Wars toys I keep on display all the time. The articulation is awesome for such a tiny figure.

I actually have him hanging out with another personal favorite: Bail Organa. They're on my DVD shelf plotting the rebellion. I don't know if Organa is the coolest action figure or anything, but it's incredible that a Jimmy Smits action figure exists at all, and I feel like that character was tragically underused in the movies. He did so much with so little screen time. I wish there was an Episode 3.5 that was just him and Ewan McGregor kicking some Imperial rear end. So that's what's happening on my shelf...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

therealjon_ posted:

That's not true at all. Toy companies can't release a Harrison Ford character without getting the sign off on his likeness, he just has a face that is really hard to capture in sculpt.

Plus they actually use his name in the promotion for the Hot Toys and Sideshow stuff, at least.

Meanwhile the HT Amazing Spider-Man 2 figure, which doesn't have an Andrew Garfield sculpt and is mask only, says "- Authentic and detailed likeness of Spider-Man in The Amazing Spider-Man 2." Not sure what happened there, since they did the Amazing Spider-Man 1 figure with his face.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Louisgod posted:

Current rumormill has the following characters for the X-Men Marvel Legends wave next year:

- Phoenix
- Havok
- Cable
- Iceman
- Kitty Pride
- Deadpool
- Wolverine
- Rogue

BAF is still unknown but people are speculating Wolverine may be Laura and that Deadpool is the movie version (though I'm not sure if they can mix X-Men movie and comic versions). Overall an extremely solid wave of figures that desperately need a redo or are impossible to find today at a decent price. Kinda disappointed by the lack of villains or original figures but if the list is true I'm having a hard time spotting a dud or figure that would pegwarm.

They've mixed movie figures in ML comic waves, an earlier wave years ago had X3 Jean Grey and Beast mixed in with Xmen comic characters.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Xenomrph posted:

They've mixed movie figures in ML comic waves, an earlier wave years ago had X3 Jean Grey and Beast mixed in with Xmen comic characters.

Yeah, that was a few years before Disney purchased Marvel and the Fox/Disney movie rights feud. As is, in the current Legends line, Hasbro has said they can't mix Fox movie figures with the line due to the Avengers/Disney conflict, which is why the Deadpool we're getting is probably comic based.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Louisgod posted:

- Phoenix
- Havok
- Cable
- Iceman
- Kitty Pride
- Deadpool
- Wolverine
- Rogue

Supposedly this is what the screengrab of a retail computer shows:

...882911A0001 Ice Man
...882911A0003 Cable
...882911A0004 KittyPryde
...882911A0005 X Maiden
...882911A0006 X Maiden [1]
...882911A0007 Dedpol
...882911A0009 Havok

Speculation is that the X Maidens are Rogue and Phoenix and that Wolverine/Laurerine is hiding between the two missing UPC with the possibility of a 9th figure.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

therealjon_ posted:

The BAF is Juggernaut.

God I hope not. That is probably the last BAF we need at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Djarum posted:

God I hope not. That is probably the last BAF we need at this point.

But he's the Juggernaut. Bitch.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Louisgod posted:

Supposedly this is what the screengrab of a retail computer shows:

...882911A0001 Ice Man

I just bought that Target 3-pack specifically to acetone the paint off Vision and have an awesome Iceman and I just completed it over the weekend so I can confirm that this is totally happening. I GUESS I'm happy about this? But gently caress, man.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

Wow, yeah, that Battle Droid is incredible. I hope they do one of the yellow commanders, although I guess that would be a pretty easy repaint. How well do they scale with Black Series?

This pic I stole from another site might help.

Black Series, Bandai model kit, Revoltech, Figuarts.

Bandai's site is pretty good at listing heights too. The battle droid will be 155 mm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's like the Goldilocks of Stormtroopers.

Black series looks too wide, Revoltech too tall, Figuarts too short (har har.)

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Also you can't forget the Mafex for not quite right Stormtroopers.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Black series looks the best to me from that pic...plus, I've seen them for 15 dollars and less, so, at 1/4 the price too.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I have yet to come across the Rhino BAF line. Anyone that may have the Rhino, how does it compare to the Marvel Select version?

Daaku Shinsei
Feb 26, 2003

Well, it's kind of annoying how much they're not stocking the NECA Reeves here in Tulsa. However, o NECA stuff is getting restocked, so who knows.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Daaku Shinsei posted:

Well, it's kind of annoying how much they're not stocking the NECA Reeves here in Tulsa. However, o NECA stuff is getting restocked, so who knows.

The Superman I just sent for somebody was to Tulsa, sorry your state sucks. I'll buy more here if they get restocked.

E: wasn't sure if you wanted me to note the location so I kept it vague. :)

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 10, 2015

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Hi, that was me. Thanks again. He should show up tomorrow but USPS has been failing me pretty spectacularly these last few weeks.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

DrChud posted:

I have yet to come across the Rhino BAF line. Anyone that may have the Rhino, how does it compare to the Marvel Select version?

I don't have the Select version but I love the BAF. He's stocky as hell, I love the rage sculpt, and he's my second favorite BAF of this year.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Louisgod posted:

The Superman I just sent for somebody was to Tulsa, sorry your state sucks. I'll buy more here if they get restocked.

E: wasn't sure if you wanted me to note the location so I kept it vague. :)

Chris showed up at my place today. Thanks a lot. Really nice figure. A few slightly off paint apps but should be pretty easy to take care of.

Got him out and posed without any breakages, which is something I've heard horror stories about. I really need a Linda Carter Wonder Woman now!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Travis343 posted:

Chris showed up at my place today. Thanks a lot. Really nice figure. A few slightly off paint apps but should be pretty easy to take care of.

Got him out and posed without any breakages, which is something I've heard horror stories about. I really need a Linda Carter Wonder Woman now!

Nice, glad it got there safely. I sent you the best of the two I picked up too, NECA has a tough time keeping quality consistent with their toys at times. Also good to hear he didn't break, most people online I think either force the joints or put a bit too much force into them without loosening them first.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

therealjon_ posted:

The BAF is Juggernaut.

Just get a Select Juggy, its sweet.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kakarot posted:

Just get a Select Juggy, its sweet.

Exactly. That along with the Venom and Thing are probably my favorite versions of the characters. There are small nitpicks I have with all of them but they look perfect and do the job better than anything Hasbro could pull off.

Sadly I have a sneaky feeling the BAF is going to be Apocalypse again. I'd like to be wrong but I can't think that they are going to pass up that tie in.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Djarum posted:

Exactly. That along with the Venom and Thing are probably my favorite versions of the characters.

What about Carnage? Pretty much the best figure of him ever(any maybe the best in that price range ever?).

I collect parts of the old BAFS, pretty close to that Apocalypse. I dont see a point in another though.
They should make BAFs great again.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kakarot posted:

What about Carnage? Pretty much the best figure of him ever(any maybe the best in that price range ever?).

I collect parts of the old BAFS, pretty close to that Apocalypse. I dont see a point in another though.
They should make BAFs great again.

I never got the Carnage. I probably should sometime. I got the Hasbro one which is pretty good.

I'd love them to make the BAFs better again. The Onslaught looks good. I am tired of them basically just giving me another standard figure and give me something huge and stupid.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Djarum posted:

I never got the Carnage. I probably should sometime. I got the Hasbro one which is pretty good.

I'd love them to make the BAFs better again. The Onslaught looks good. I am tired of them basically just giving me another standard figure and give me something huge and stupid.

Dude! Theres no contest. Hope you can find it at a good price.

My favorite old one is definitely the sentinel. Looks drat amazing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyuo7gm-aQ

Skewered.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Is there any way to stay ahead of "exploding crotch syndrome" in the old marvel legends? I'd like to do....something? to prevent it from happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Turbo Punch
Feb 3, 2006

WAKE UP

Ouch. Hits way too close to home for comfort.