Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Id like an add please, requested as Ciprian Maricon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So I've managed to miss all events so far, what time does the server run? Bumming me out that I'm missing out on new commanders.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Check the fleet screen it shows you the time of fleet battles at your local time.

Griz
May 21, 2001

fleet battles are now Tuesday/Saturday 9-11pm eastern, the new 5v5 thing (requires tier 4-5) is the same time on Thursday/Sunday.

aquagremlin
Jan 16, 2005
Applied to fleet as Aquagremlin, I want to help torpedo all the things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I need some advice on light cruisers. I'm having a lot of trouble driving them compared to other ships; I try to stay a bit erratic to avoid getting dunked by BBs but it doesn't quite work. When I get spotted by DDs it feels like every battleship on the map decides CLs are EXP and silver pinatas.

I sympathize with this feeling, because I find myself doing the same to enemy CLs as a BB. What should I keep in mind when driving one?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Stay back with the battleships, maybe a kilometer or two ahead of them. Your job isn't really to scout, its to screen the bigger ships from threats such as over-extending destroyers.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, I had some serious bullshit happen to my Kuma earlier today. I was firing torps at a sure shot Omaha that I was about to sink at close range, when a sub that was in between us came up from deep to shallow out of nowhere, and he was in safe range. All but one torp collided with him and got eaten, only one hitting the Omaha. :negative:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

I managed to run out of torpedoes as a sub.

After killing 3 BBs, a sub, and finishing a second sub with my deck gun.

I think I love subs now.

Are you me?

How many Kongos have died from your submarine shooting them in the rear end so much that they died from being shot in the rear end so much?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy nard posted:

Are you me?

How many Kongos have died from your submarine shooting them in the rear end so much that they died from being shot in the rear end so much?

I only got one that game but it was from detonating his fuel when he was about 15 seconds off capping.

I would've gotten the Connecticut I wounded, too, if I hadn't both run out of ammunition and our team capped.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Stay back with the battleships, maybe a kilometer or two ahead of them. Your job isn't really to scout, its to screen the bigger ships from threats such as over-extending destroyers.

Yeah, sometimes in the higher tiers the game makes you scout by making you the smallest and fastest ship in the game and that sucks- though if you're cautious a CL can still see a BB from outside the BB's spotting range, but you have to understand where he's going and be sure to stay in that range band.

Also, people whining when I play an Oyodo as something other than a dedicated scout plane user. You have your own god drat scout planes, use those, I have torpedo bombers! They're the only things I have that hurt battleships!

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Does anyone know if group skills stack? Say we have 5 ships close together, each equipped with Frank Fletcher as Captain, and each of us uses the Fleet Cruise skill at the same time, is the overall boost to main artillery accuracy going to be 5% or 25%? And do you need to stay withing 1.5 km range of the ships, for them to keep being affected?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
Applied to the fleet as Pervis.

Having shitloads of fun in destroyers, Fubuki is really amazing with the 3x2. I'm struggling to win most matches at tier 3 and 4 though even if I'm MVP most of the time, especially on battleship-heavy teams or the open sea maps. I spend all game trying to keep subs off my allies and spotting and taking out their cruisers/destroyers, but end up getting taken down eventually while trying to spot the remaining hostiles so my battleship friends can finish them off.

I tried out Tenryu but felt like I was just a slower, bigger, crappier destroyer. I think I'd hate sitting back in a battleship though, and carriers seem not terribly good given what experience I see them get at the end of the match.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Pervis posted:

I tried out Tenryu but felt like I was just a slower, bigger, crappier destroyer. I think I'd hate sitting back in a battleship though, and carriers seem not terribly good given what experience I see them get at the end of the match.

Carriers have a high risk/reward game and can be difficult to play it in relation to your team's spotting and the other team's battle lines and carriers. The fun/payoff can be enormous though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The T3-4 light cruisers that aren't the Atlanta are total dogshit.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I've run up on some real life poo poo that's greatly reduced my time to play. Next time we run up against the user limit for the fleet, just kick me (Grimhowl) first.

Thanks.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panzeh posted:

True. At least the T5 Königsberg is quite decent. Those triple-turrets really can put down destroyers in a hurry, and for the first time in that chain you actually have a reasonable amount of torps.

Edit: Ahaha what the hell, apparently that same Königsberg's piddly 150mm guns have absolutely no problem penetrating an Ise's armour almost every time.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 12, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Panzeh posted:

The Emden isn't worse than the Fubuki in every way, but it sure comes close. With six ~100 damage guns and an 11 second reload it just takes so long to kill anything.
The high gun penetration is neat and I could see it working on a better ship. Not when you fire about a third as many shells as an Atlanta with less damage per shell, though!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The fleet battle times changed right? Is it in about 2 hours time? The only note I found was them saying it moved to Tuesday and Saturday but nothing about when.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
like always, just hit that little fleet battle button and you will be told in your own local time what time it starts

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Perestroika posted:

True. At least the T5 Königsberg is quite decent. Those triple-turrets really can put down destroyers in a hurry, and for the first time in that chain you actually have a reasonable amount of torps.

Edit: Ahaha what the hell, apparently that same Königsberg's piddly 150mm guns have absolutely no problem penetrating an Ise's armour almost every time.

That sounds great since I am going through the 1915 Kongsberg right now

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
I just one-shotted a destroyer at max range with my nevada. That was extremely satisfying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Was fun to try out botefight with goons. Thanks for the free Merit despite my managing to mostly suck and die, see you all next fleet fight.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Saturday night seems like a bad time for fleet battle.

How did we do? Do we still get 900 merit? I will not stand for only 720!

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Got some great trolling in today. Pretended I was a 5-year old playing his dad's T5 Sub.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Meat_Grinder posted:

Got some great trolling in today. Pretended I was a 5-year old playing his dad's T5 Sub.

You did at least save screenshots, right? You are editing your post to include them, right?

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

Groggy nard posted:

You did at least save screenshots, right? You are editing your post to include them, right?

Alas, I was too busy surviving and collecting frags. Also running on 3 hours of sleep, so...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What do Qualification points do and is there a way to get them besides getting disappointing commander rolls?

Griz
May 21, 2001

qual points are for promoting commanders to unlock more skills on some of them (the ones that say they require elite, excellent, whatever) and as far as I know the only way to get them is by collecting duplicate commanders.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Apparently if you fire from behind into the back of the superstructure/smoke-stacks, a Fubuki can do full damage gunshots to a Florida.

RIP Florida I shot to death with a rabid DD.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Griz posted:

qual points are for promoting commanders to unlock more skills on some of them (the ones that say they require elite, excellent, whatever) and as far as I know the only way to get them is by collecting duplicate commanders.

Do you have to use the points somehow or is it automatic (like more stars in their portrait)? Is there a way of telling how many more qual points you need for whatever?

Night10194 posted:

Apparently if you fire from behind into the back of the superstructure/smoke-stacks, a Fubuki can do full damage gunshots to a Florida.

RIP Florida I shot to death with a rabid DD.

That's awesome, I guess there are vulnerable spots on all ships and they don't actually get destroyed so you can keep hitting them.

I've been having fun as a CV, provided I don't get stuck on night missions (seriously gently caress those as a CV). I ended up blowing ~10k global exp on getting the Independence and the first torpedo bomber upgrade so I had another CV to play while the other was stuck in battles and so I wasn't grinding forever in a Bogue (especially against tier 4 BB's). The difference between the Bogue with torp bomber upgrade and the Independence is huge - more damage but that 4th plane really helps. I have some serious issues getting kills but I tend to be top or 2nd/3rd in damage since at tier 3/4 there's lots of BB's to lob a flight of torps at.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pervis posted:

Do you have to use the points somehow or is it automatic (like more stars in their portrait)? Is there a way of telling how many more qual points you need for whatever?

the points go into a global pool which you then spend on individual guys through some button in the barracks screen. it tells you how many points it costs to promote someone but I haven't seen anywhere that shows the relationship between stars and the excellent/elite/whatever levels in the text descriptions.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Does leveling someone via qual points improve their base command points? The things that just give the base 'Yeah you get this bonus for them being in this position'?

Because I have a 4 star British carrier guy who gives some really nice bonuses just from his base skill as a commander if I shove him in the Gunner slot.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It really sucks being the only DD in a game full of BBs, but I guess pubbies just love love love being BB

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It really sucks being the only DD in a game full of BBs, but I guess pubbies just love love love being BB

Actually this is usually awesome because you can spot all the guys and stay out of reach. Now, being the only CL in a game like that is sadness.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Griz posted:

the points go into a global pool which you then spend on individual guys through some button in the barracks screen. it tells you how many points it costs to promote someone but I haven't seen anywhere that shows the relationship between stars and the excellent/elite/whatever levels in the text descriptions.

Thanks. Found the button - holy cow, 1 star is 100 qual, 2 star is 300, and 3 star is 1000. Between fleet battles and the 'sink 3 japanese ships a day' thing merit is slow enough I doubt I'd ever be able to promote even a 2-star commands, unless there's other ways of getting qualification points.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's awesome when you get torpedoed by an allied sub firing at a deep dived enemy sub when you're trying to line up the dunk with the depthcharges.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is why I avoid trying to DC enemy subs if allied destroyers/subs are nearby. Hell, usually I try to avoid DCing submarines if any enemies are nearby either, because trying to line up a DC drop makes you an easy target most of the time.

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Night10194 posted:

It's awesome when you get torpedoed by an allied sub firing at a deep dived enemy sub when you're trying to line up the dunk with the depthcharges.

It's the worst when you and an allied DD are trying to dunk a sub in a confined area and another DD blows his entire torp load at you all from 3.5km away thinking he's helping the situation.

Using depth charges on a sub are so satisfying, but if there is another DD ally anywhere close I just don't bother anymore. The chucklefucks always wait until im quarter speed and right over the sub before blowing 12 torps in my face.

Then to rub it in they yell at you for being in the way of their torps. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

He didn't actually get me, only a single torp hit my Atlanta and I was still able to dunk the sub. Just would've been easier to play without all the engine damage that shitlord did.

I really love subs. Both playing them and fighting them. I didn't think they could be implemented this well, but they're a lot of fun and add a lot to the game.

• Locked thread