Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Swagger Dagger posted:

Is Team Yankee any good? Moderns seem cool but I'm not really interested if it's just Flames of War with different statlines and a couple different special rules.

Based on reading the rules and playing a quick game of it, its a much better game than regular FoW. Very few games of it have been played sofar so a more conclusive conclusion is still not concluded.

Its bones are FoW but they but they cut out a lot of the rules bloat that FoW V3 has, though I won't be surprised if it bloats a little as the guys at BF have a bad case of "ivory tower" gaming and tend to leave some things too vague or miss obvious game balance problems in the first draft of their games (See Tour of Duty, and Fate of a Nation) and are forced to correct them (sometimes screaming and kicking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What other Cold War type games are there? I'm curious on Team Yankee but my area has a real love/hate with Battlefront stuff so I've never really had an even opinion on what to expect.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Flipswitch posted:

What other Cold War type games are there? I'm curious on Team Yankee but my area has a real love/hate with Battlefront stuff so I've never really had an even opinion on what to expect.

There's Force on Force, which is generic but has good sources for CWGH. And there's Cold War Commander.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
FoF has a supplement for that. There's even a Snake Plissken scenario.

Fist Full of Tows has every tank ever in it, so it covers all your cold war/rivet counting needs. It can be played with 1:1 tank representation, but never with individual infantrymanz.

It also has the gooniest copyright statement

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You could do small scale Cold War with Black Ops if you really wanted to. You'd miss out on a lot of the fun sci-fi tech, but it'd work well enough.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You could do small scale Cold War with Black Ops if you really wanted to. You'd miss out on a lot of the fun sci-fi tech, but it'd work well enough.

I've heard Black Ops mentioned, but I don't know what it is, so what is it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

I've heard Black Ops mentioned, but I don't know what it is, so what is it?
It's a recent Osprey Games publication that assigns card numbers to your mans based on how badass they are, and suit determines side. Draw a card, activate the relevant man or mans, they get to take a variety of actions that boil down to "move" "shoot" and "do fancy poo poo". Moving is a simple 3-6-9 progression, with doing other stuff being easier or harder depending how fast you move. There is a point system so it's possible to have pickup games between whatever dudes you have on hand, but it's also small scale so you can easily bring along enough guys to basically cover every single possible option in the rules short of vehicles and have your normal dicebag take more space. The book is about a tenner from Amazon so it's worth grabbing just to see how they do things at least.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Battleship for grownups.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Black ops is a great game, is cheap and includes stealth rules, generic equipment and powers and points buy.

You can wake up with an idea for a game (historical or fantasy ie fallout, mad max or zombies etc.) and easily throw it together. I hope osprey puts out expansions for it with additional settings.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished a tiny Bedouin army for DBA over at the oath thread:

Simplest army I've ever painted.

Also, for anyone with an interest in Rome & their enemies, this kickstarter might be of interest:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832150598/war-and-empire-ii-legions-of-rome
I was part of their previous kickstarter (also about Rome), and I'm pretty sure I'll jump on this too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I love the oasis camp!

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Thanks. The oasis was made ages ago for my Berber, but works good for these as well. Too bad, because making the camp is usually the most fun part of building a DBA army for me. But I have some Persians in need of a camp, so I guess that will be my next job.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chanukka gift for my wife:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Chanukka gift for my wife:

Nice.

Today I started one of my projects for this winter/spring: to recover my old beaten up and half-painted samurai army, rebase it for FoG, and make it into the spectacle that it was supposed to have become all along.

A small step:

before

after

Only 250 or so left now, yay!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Alrighty, TY launch day! Woo!

No red banner starter box for another week! Woo...?

At least I've got the book. Soviet air defence is a scary thing :stare:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah no Ivans for another week because lol Battlefront are a mess.

Cheers for the Cold War recommendations as well thread, been looking them up this week and me and a bud are gonna try some stuff. :) Might give TY a go but I've not played FOW so I'm going in a bit blind.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah no Ivans for another week because lol Battlefront are a mess.

Cheers for the Cold War recommendations as well thread, been looking them up this week and me and a bud are gonna try some stuff. :) Might give TY a go but I've not played FOW so I'm going in a bit blind.

Zvezda's Gvozdikas and Shilkas are boss. Hinds a little less so. T-72 are of the wrong model (as in, wrong for FoW and for the box description). Abrams is hot, detail-less garbage.

...if you were interested in, ahem, alternatives.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hinds are the wrong scale, sadly.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

Zvezda's Gvozdikas and Shilkas are boss. Hinds a little less so. T-72 are of the wrong model (as in, wrong for FoW and for the box description). Abrams is hot, detail-less garbage.

...if you were interested in, ahem, alternatives.
The Abrams kit? US stuff never interest me so it'd be Soviets all the way to be honest. Laughing at the T-72 though. I found the rulebook easy to read at least, it seems like a nice pick up and play game, a lot of my mini games tend to be a bit complex so I need a nice beer game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, TY's very abbreviated compared to core FoW.

Zvezda's T-72 is the B variant, whereas it's A in TY.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I just got into Flames of War (thanks to the 33% sale they had earlier) and I have to say, it's a lot of fun! I got the americans while my brother got the germans from the starter kit. Also ordered a howitzer and some HQ for artillery + another airborne platoon, but I've got a question!

Mortars, do they get the -1 for long range like tanks and medium/heavy guns?
And how does artillery work, will I be able to fire at the enemy that any platoon in my company can see?

Lastly, are there any units or stuff (any of the nations) that one should steer clear of, that's either broken or a complete waste of points?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Hinds are the wrong scale, sadly.
FoW actually uses smaller scale aircraft, so maybe the Hinds will be fine.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

FoW actually uses smaller scale aircraft, so maybe the Hinds will be fine.

Vietnam's been 1/100 helis, and the cobras in the Bannon boxset are 1/100, too. I doubt the hind will be 1/144; it's going to be loving huge, though.

Greggster posted:

I just got into Flames of War (thanks to the 33% sale they had earlier) and I have to say, it's a lot of fun! I got the americans while my brother got the germans from the starter kit. Also ordered a howitzer and some HQ for artillery + another airborne platoon, but I've got a question!

And how does artillery work, will I be able to fire at the enemy that any platoon in my company can see?

Lastly, are there any units or stuff (any of the nations) that one should steer clear of, that's either broken or a complete waste of points?

Everything firing over 16" has -1 unless it's a bombardment (from indirect fire) or has some funky special rule (all the examples thereof I can think of are in non-WW2 flames).

Artillery can fire at anything they can see, their observer can see, or their company commander can see (the latter at penalty). Americans get a turbocharged version of commander fire requisition, though, in that all their platoon commanders can request fire as if they were company command (i.e., at penalty).

Most lists in flames are playable; rock-paper-scissors is usually "This is going to be rough" rather than "GG, let's shake" as soon as you see their list. Fortified companies are unpopular; not because they're bad, but because playing them is basically one guy playing a tower defence game while waiting for the clock to run down. Infantry meatgrinders can be similar.

All FoW lists are combined arms; "I'm going to take eight heavy tanks!" is going to be crazy rough. A list that min-maxes on one thing or another is probably the closest thing to an outright "bad list" you can bring. For a really basic checklist, you want:

1. Some kind of armour.
2. Some kind of infantry.
3. A recce group of some kind (more important for tank and mech companies than infantry)
4. An indirect fire option of some kind.

Planes tend to be overcosted because they're incredibly random.

V: e;fb :argh:

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 13, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Greggster posted:

Artillery Bombardments follow a step-by-step process:

-First, figure out who you want to spot for the bombardment. This is the guy desperately on the phone calling in grid coordinates to the artillery, and will usually either be a dedicated observer unit, your company command team (At a penalty),. Any team in your artillery platoon can also be used to spot for the bombardment, but this isn't exactly ideal. Units spotting for artillery bombardments aren't allowed to move or shoot in the turn they spot for a bombardment, though, so keep that in mind.

:911: note (There will be a lot of these): Americans armies have the special rule "Excellent Communications", which allows 2iC and platoon command teams to act as spotters for artillery bombardments, with the same +1 penalty that CiC teams have.

-Next, figure out who you want to target. This can be anyone that the spotter has in LoS, though you should take care to make sure the target is in range of your artillery.

-Now, choose your template. The number of guns being fired determines the size and effectiveness: 1-2 guns is worthless (Re-Roll successful hits), 3-5 guns get the normal 6"x6" template, 6-8 guns can choose to either re-roll hits or use a double-width (6"x12") template, 9-13 guns can re-roll hits using the double-width template or use a massive 12"x12" template, and if you've somehow got 14+ guns firing you get use the giant template and re-roll to hit everything underneath it.

:911: note: Americans have a special rule called "Hit them with everything you've got", which allows you to use multiple platoons to fire an artillery bombardment (Normally artillery is fired one platoon at a time). So, if you've got a battery of 6 M7 Priests but feel that they aren't quite enough to liquefy everything under the template to a pulp, this stage is the point where you have your 4 M1 155mm howitzers join in. Note, however, that you can only do this if both platoons have a staff team-so even if you were also fielding a unit of mortars in this example, they wouldn't be able to join in.

-Once you've figured out how many guns are firing, rotate the guns and position the template. The template is placed dead-center over the team you picked out in step two, with the bottom of the template held parallel with the front of your guns' bases.

-Now you get to start rolling dice. First, things first, you have to range in. This is basically a normal shooting attack (Including penalties for cover, though not for range range. If you're using your CiC team to spot, this is also where that penalty kicks in), and if you "Hit", you range in. Most artillery batteries get three attempts to range in, though some special snowflakes (Rockets) can get more attempts depending on how much is being fired, and Mortars can re-roll their first attempt to range in.

:911: note: Americans have a special rule called "Under Command", which allows CiC, 2iC, and Platoon Command teams to spot for certain units (Typically mortars and pack howitzers) without the +1 penalty to range in. Before you ask, most of these units don't have staff teams (Which precludes you from spotting for the light guns without penalty and using HTWEYG to join in the big guns), though some goofy exceptions do exist.

:911: note x2: Americans also have a rule called gently caress You And Die Time on Target, which forces the enemy to re-roll successful saves if you managed to roll to range in on the first attempt. This can be, to put it lightly, utterly brutal, though it's slightly mitigated by requiring the unit firing the bombardment to have a staff team.

-Now, let's start hurting people! Count how many teams are under the template, and roll that many skill tests (If there are different kinds of team or different platoons under the template, roll to hit those separately). If any of them hit, the platoon is automatically pinned, and your opponent has to allocate and roll saves. Tanks teams take the hit on their top armor, and only Dug-In teams get to take advantage of Bulletproof Cover. If you're firing different kinds of guns, you default to the worst AT and worst FP amongst them-so if you were firing a full battery of 6 M7 Priests and had them joined by a half-battery of 2 M1 155mm howitzers, the statline for the hit would default to AT4 FP4+ and the heavy guns would only count for numbers. If more than 1/3 of the bombardment is being fired by bigger guns, however, you get to increase both-so each hit from a bombardment of 6 M7s and 4 M1s would be rated at AT5 FP3+.

There's some other stuff like smoke bombardments and repeat bombardments (Also I may have gotten the order of when each thing happens slightly wrong), but I'll leave you with this for now. The artillery rules in Flames of War are, as you can tell, pretty detailed, though once you get the hang if it they're also pretty straightforward. Battlefront also sells templates that have the rules printed on them for easy reference, which is a godsend when you don't feel like flipping back through the rulebook for the fifth time.

Also as you might be able to tell, Americans get some pretty good artillery rules, which can charitably be described as "Bonkers". Other nations get special artillery rules as well, but American Artillery is unquestionably the best in the game. Definitely make sure to pick up at least one battery of 105mm guns (Either towed or self-propelled (i.e. Priests) depending on if you plan on bringing mainly infantry or tanks) for some fairly versatile support, and buy even more if you feel like turning large sections of the table into red-colored moonscapes.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

British artillery is nothing to sneeze at too; they don't get the spotting craziness, but they reroll their first range in just on, like, everything, and if they're firing a repeat bombardment (i.e. on the same spot they ranged in on last time) it's reroll saves, which is great at turning things that're hiding on an objective into pulp if they refuse to move.

Also:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-Now, choose your template. The number of guns being fired determines the size and effectiveness: 1-2 guns is worthless (Re-Roll successful hits), 3-5 guns get the normal 6"x6" template, 6-8 guns can choose to either re-roll hits or use a double-width (6"x12") template, 9-13 guns can re-roll hits using the double-width template or use a massive 12"x12" template, and if you've somehow got 14+ guns firing you get use the giant template and re-roll to hit everything underneath it.

12 Katyushas, extra loaders to double the guns. 24-man battery :ussr:

EDIT: Oh, a unit that is widely agreed to be dogshit is the IS-2. It's not a horrendous trainwreck, to be honest, but it's just so expensive (pointswise) and never worth it.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 13, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also Soviet guns all move as fast as infantry and can divide their fire between indirect and direct, so you can get 8 76mm guns and 4 122mm howitzers, have the howitzers bomb a target to pin it and have the 76mm guns light up some tanks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that soviet artillery tends to be complete loving trash that doesn't do anything.

I mean, it might sound harsh but heavy mortars are literally better than their basic artillery option.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fighting Withdrawal missions with one player having Japanese infantry when you've got anything other than another Infantry list is a shake hands and don't bother deploying situation TBH. If you DO have infantry then you wait until after the roll for attackers to see if you have any chance at all. Crazy niche tournament case though.

spectralent posted:

This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that soviet artillery tends to be complete loving trash that doesn't do anything.

I mean, it might sound harsh but heavy mortars are literally better than their basic artillery option.
I take them in mid war for a free bombardment option for my at guns. Literally the same ZiS 3 either way.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I've actually never seen anyone play Japan. IIRC they're solely EW, though, so that's probably got more to do with it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My Matildas came up against them in that scenario at a tournament last summer. I think I managed to kill four bases of dudes. Would literally have been better off points wise just hiding out of range all game.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Matildas are going to be brutal due to top armour but I'm curious; don't Japanese infantry have those high AT special rules in tank assault?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yup. All I could do was try MG from range and pray. As it worked out he just had to sit and do nothing until the game ended.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

spectralent posted:

helpful tips

Alright, we figured mortars wouldn't get the range modification but it makes sense they'd get it :)

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Even more helpful tips on artillery
That's a lot of cool rules, and it sure looks like americans get some pretty crazy stuff! How strong is artillery? I would like to get more but if it makes games unfun then I'd rather not get too much of it, so it doesn't get boring for whoever I play against.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Depends if they're indirect fire or not, like I say; Brit light mortars are like 16-24" of direct fire. Most mortars are indirect fire weapons.

Artillery is good but finickity; you usually don't want to go crazy on it, but you also don't want to drop it completely. Most lists want some cheap close-range support (mortars) and a proper gently caress-poo poo-up battery (guns of some sort). For :911: that might be a bit different, since they do have great artillery rules, but remember that nothing cares how great your indirect fire would theoretically be if they're hosing you down with machineguns, so leaving a skeleton force of a front line and having four batteries of arty is probably still not a great idea. I'd have to check how expensive US arty was, though.

Oh, and don't worry (too much) about artillery being too good; American artillery is great, but you still need to range in, then you've got one hit per thing under the template (and if the other guy's smart that's going to be a handful of dudes), possibly with penalties... Artillery is decisive, but isn't usually a game-winner on it's own (unless, for example, it's pinned a unit and whittled it down so it's defensive fire is zilch so infantry can jump out and murder it and let your faster recce swoop in and cap an objective. Hello, combined arms, fancy seeing you again).

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
So I'm thinking about modelling 500 pts or so of Force Publique for Bolt Action. Is there any way of making this not suck on the table?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

So I'm thinking about modelling 500 pts or so of Force Publique for Bolt Action. Is there any way of making this not suck on the table?

/hwg/?

spectralent posted:

Yeah, TY's very abbreviated compared to core FoW.

Zvezda's T-72 is the B variant, whereas it's A in TY.

I thought someone said it's a B3, by the ERA.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Should be absolutely fine, but the mainstay will be units of infantry with rifles. As with a lot of Bolt Action forces.

How were they equipped? Did they get allied equipment after the fall of Belgium? Are you doing them for the middle east or jungle fighting?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Had a great time playing in my first Bolt Action tournament yesterday. Despite everything three different players threw at it (including two Japanese suicide spear dudes), my plucky little Crusader tank was never knocked out :britain:

I'd like to do something to the tank paintwise to honour its unlikely survival/tenacity. Anyone have any suggestions?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Canuck posted:

Had a great time playing in my first Bolt Action tournament yesterday. Despite everything three different players threw at it (including two Japanese suicide spear dudes), my plucky little Crusader tank was never knocked out :britain:

I'd like to do something to the tank paintwise to honour its unlikely survival/tenacity. Anyone have any suggestions?

Give it a name, or some markings if it managed to rack up a tank kill or two. Female names seem to be common on tanks from most nationalities.

E: if you want to be a grognard about it, here's a list of actual names. Tanks from the same squadron would normally (but not always) have names starting with the same letter, like squadron A being Ajax, Agamemnon, Aristoteles and Ares, and so on

http://mmpbooks.biz/mmp/tables/Vehicle_Names_V3.pdf

This list is bonkers. Now I need two Shermans called Comme-ci and Comme-sa next to each other.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, for force publique, you can't go wrong with max strength squads, Maxim MGs and maybe light field pieces. Probably inexperienced for the lot, and regular for the white officers. At 500 points, you can probably expect a StuG to try and scare you, but not much else.

Besides, people always talk how LMGs are never worth it in Bolt Action (unless you use "Season 2" rules), so you're not missing out.