Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Xaerael posted:

They can call it crowdfunding when they prove that every penny has only ever been spent on developing the game, and not on retardedly expensive superfluous garbage.

And don't forget funding Sandi's big city Hollywood dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

have there been any significant self owns lately from CIG?

Today or just this week?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

KiddieGrinder posted:

And don't forget funding Sandi's big city Hollywood dreams.

You know, that ending line in that now hilarious comic: "Dreams happen now!" really was right on the money after all.

It's just that it didn't mention which dreams in particular (only those of CR and Sandi for Hollywood and :lesnick: for a brief moment as he enjoys his man-cave before he gets laid off too).

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Xaerael posted:

I swear, the next time one of those CIG morons calls what they're doing "Crowdfunding"...

They can call it crowdfunding when they prove that every penny has only ever been spent on developing the game, and not on retardedly expensive superfluous garbage. You DO NOT call gathering money for the purpose of outfitting your man-cave come gaming studio "crowdfunding".

gently caress. Off. Fatlord.

People are also acting like it's a new thing for them. They bought a loving $20,000 executive coffee machine for their office earlier this year and the cultists didn't even flinch. They didn't even have 2.0 or ANYTHING out at that point that showed any progress. So now, spending ~$300,000 to outfit their new office with trendy furniture is acceptable to them when they could have done it with much more functional stuff for $25,000 total, tops. This will only escalate. They don't care about their expenses because the cultists are either ignoring it or defending this extravagant spending.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 13, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do you guys ever regret that nobody freed Kimsemus

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Derek, can you tell the leaders of goonrathi to free Kimsemus for this dead game and let him in their dead guild

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rad Russian posted:

People are also acting like it's a new thing for them. They bought a loving $20,000 executive coffee machine for their office earlier this year and the cultists didn't even flinch. They didn't even have 2.0 or ANYTHING out at that point that showed any progress. So now, spending ~$300,000 to outfit their new office with trendy furniture is acceptable to them when they could have done it with much more functional stuff for $25,000 total, tops. This will only escalate. They don't care about their expenses because the cultists are either ignoring it or defending this extravagant spending.

Im hoping that if everything goes tits up that the cultist just double down and say they were happy to hand over hundreds or thousands of dollars to fund chris roberts dream because they dreamed with him vicariously

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Xaerael posted:

I swear, the next time one of those CIG morons calls what they're doing "Crowdfunding"...

They can call it crowdfunding when they prove that every penny has only ever been spent on developing the game, and not on retardedly expensive superfluous garbage. You DO NOT call gathering money for the purpose of outfitting your man-cave come gaming studio "crowdfunding".

gently caress. Off. Fatlord.

We should be calling it what it actually is: crowdfleecing.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Loiosh posted:

You are correct, I guess I need to state that those patches did address a number of issues, both major and minor. The 2.0.0 release that came out was, as Derek indicated, not at all ready. I think most of the goons here would say that 2.0.0M still isn't ready, and they're correct from their perspective. It's buggy. It has a number of issues, both major (terminal lockup over time, FPS drops from AI spawning, teleporting due to global grid->local grid transactions not handled correctly) and minor.

But, I feel it would be disingenuous to say those 13 patches did not make improvements, some major (lots of crashes on the client and server) and minor (like fixing the z-fighting for the LOD shadow system). That's my opinion, of course, and I know people disagree. I'm not here to defend CIG the company or the forums or whatever else people seem to want out of me. When I've posted, it's been about my perspective on development and my thoughts on SC. And I totally understand that people disagree, and I respect them and read a lot of what is posted here and elsewhere. I like being informed because it helps give a wider perspective.

You shouldn't feel like you will be attacked for defending CIG or the game. We tend not to do that around here, let alone encourage it. But it happens once in a while; and we just ignore those wankers who do it.

Nevertheless, I agree with you in that even though 2.0 was not ready and they pushed it out specifically because it's all they had for the anniversary sale; progress is still progress. And all the patches, regardless of what they fixed, didn't fix or break, should still be measured as progress.

They will never - ever - finish this game. It's not that they won't; it's that they can't. Anyone who looks at the scope of the game promised, and thinks that 2.0 is the light at the end of the tunnel, is a loving idiot. I've been doing this for over 30 years and have built bigger games, I've seen this all before.

By the time the dust settles, assuming they survive 2016, this mini-2.0 module will be just as broken, disjointed and detached as all the other modules. They're going to walk away with over $100m+. Unscathed. Because all the loving idiots who kept giving croberts money, thus removing every incentive he has to build and deliver a game, will lose every penny. On a game they could have paid $49.99 for. That moment will be glorious. Me? I just want to know where the money went and because I have a feeling that if/when this all collapses, someone is likely to end up in jail.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Loiosh is under my protection

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I just want to know where the money went and because I have a feeling that if/when this all collapses, someone is likely to end up in jail.

Why is this important?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't decide what I'd like more

for the game to come out an be broken as gently caress, pissing off all the backers
for the game to be in perpetual beta and having a bunch of people suckered into buying ships
for the game to come out and be good after all the goons refunded

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Besides hating children, Wesha also hates alcohol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3o40j6/beer4thebeergod_10year_banished_from_the_rsi/cvu8r2x?context=3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish for the following christmas gifts

1. Free Kimsemus
2. shut up octopode
3. Go gently caress yourself, Karl
4. Hey reddit, archive this

....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...
5. more recipes
6. anime

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

wesha is that guy that goes to a party and interrupts people with "ACTUALLY :goonsay:"

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Eonwe posted:

Look at it this way. If that ever happened, we'd be deprived of, like, half of your stellar shitposts.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Loiosh is hard to pronounce

also he is nice and we are friends

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Eonwe posted:

6. anime

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder if he eats spicy things

wesha is you do you SHOULDNT DO THAT

DID YOU KNOW THAT POLICE USE CAPSACIN TO INCAPACITATE PRISONERS

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CrazyLoon posted:

Look at it this way. If that ever happened, we'd be deprived of, like, half of your stellar shitposts.

id say like an eighth of my shitposts lately are about kimsemus, and I could easily make up for those posts

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't wait until a buggy, messy, hollow shell of a game is released on steam under EARLY ACCESS where it will sit in development hell

Forever

But it's early access guys the actual release will have no bugs.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Citizen...Get a Refund

It didn't even occur to me. I just politely requested a refund.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

I can't wait until a buggy, messy, hollow shell of a game is released on steam under EARLY ACCESS where it will sit in development hell

Forever

same but only so I can give it a negative review

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Please ignore the fact that the codebase underneath the game is a horrible spaghetti code monster and no amount of bandaids will ever fix it short of restarting the game from scratch. Again.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eonwe posted:

Loiosh is under my protection

Are you the saint-patron of optimistic well-mannered thoughtful marks?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eonwe posted:

same but only so I can give it a negative review

I will give it a mixed review because so far the game has gotten me through many lonely Sundays at work, so I have that to be thankful for.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3npo4o/is_star_citizen_running_out_of_money/cvq7g3m

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3nixz5/makes_me_wanna_become_a_backer_now/cvp4hyy

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'll bet if Chris Roberts posted something about them going to UE4 RIGHT NOW the whole SC fanbase would be ecstatic.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Eonwe posted:

I was pretty proud when the internet stopped Kony but sometimes I feel like we lost the real battle.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dusty Lens posted:

I was pretty proud when the internet stopped Kony but sometimes I feel like we lost the real battle.

We lost the real battle when we failed to vote KONY2012 for president.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trucutru posted:

Are you the saint-patron of optimistic well-mannered thoughtful marks?

i just want people to know that if they want to like star citizen thats okay just dont be an octopode about it

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Some tips on Christmas lights and optimal hanging strategies:

Just because a string of lights says "indoor/outdoor" doesn't mean you can lay the thing inside of your gutter, completely submerged in water. Have some common sense. Usually just about any hardware or thrift store will sell clips that you can use to hang lights from your gutters, sills, or doorframes in packs of 100 for absurdly cheap, so don't do anything goofy like trying to loop them around your gutters. Sheesh.

For hanging string of lights, gravity is your friend. Don't fight it so much! Let the bulbs dangle downward toward the earth, that way there's no chance of moisture gathering in between the bulb and the contact points AND you won't have to worry about sag in the line after its been hanging for a while.

Also, be careful on ladders. Always have a buddy available to keep the base steady no matter how "high quality" your ladder is. Unless you want to gift your kids with a trip to the morgue for the holidays I suggest you smarten up.

See you in the verse!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Eonwe posted:

i just want people to know that if they want to like star citizen thats okay just dont be an octopode about it

you are doing god's work

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

wesha is that guy that goes to a party and interrupts people with "ACTUALLY :goonsay:"

Not All Spergs.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Eonwe posted:

thank you for your service eonwe

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

Forever

lol if you think they're willing to split their profits with steam and expose their game to a publishing platform that's known for kicking bad lovely games off their platform and refunding everyone who bought it

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

lol if you think they're willing to split their profits with steam and expose their game to a publishing platform that's known for kicking bad lovely games off their platform and refunding everyone who bought it
The fact that Steam refunds are pretty easy to get is reason enough for CIG to never, ever want to put it on Steam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The only way Chris' scam could be any more obvious is if he appeared on the twitch stream in blackface and claim he was a nigerian prince.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

No they do shadowbans.

Yup. And I'm still shadowbanned I think back when The Wuldge and some of his rear end in a top hat friends (e.g. Dovrak) reported me for "doxing" him. Though I haven't posted in awhile, I don't think it's been lifted yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The only way Chris' scam could be any more obvious is if he appeared on the twitch stream in blackface and claim he was a nigerian prince.

The one money making idea Sandi actually rejected.

• Locked thread