Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
How big of a can of worms would this bike be? I'm looking for a cheap bike to learn on this winter, and wouldn't mind some wrenching. As long as it's not so bad that I end up tossing it into a pit or killing it with fire.

https://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/5346944882.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I actually think that's a good one to start learning on. Bring a battery and make sure the engine turns over. Do a finger compression test on both cylinders. Make sure it goes through all the gears smoothly (put it on the center stand and spin the wheel while doing this, obviously). Check for holes in the exhaust. Make sure the frame isn't bent and that the wheels spin true with no cracks. A seized/blown engine or a bent/cracked structure are things you don't want to deal with, but all the rest should be within your reach. And it has the title, so you don't have to deal with that bullshit at the end when you finally get it finished and want to ride.

Get him to knock off another $120 for the missing carbs, or whatever you think a set would cost on eBay.

With the cracked fairing and the holes in the seat, it might never be a pretty bike, but it's a good one to learn on and personally I like the :krad: '80s red and black thing.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 6, 2015

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I was in a similar situation with my first bike, and be prepared to be working on it for a very long time, as performing maintenance on something you don't really know the history of (take whatever they tell you with a grain of salt) turns in to "Well, I better do this too before I start riding it regularly, just in case." You'll also end up spending as much as you would have on a bike that runs fine and is probably a bit newer. However, I learned most of what I know about working on bikes from my first shitpile. For that, even if I knew what I was in for, I probably wouldn't have done it any differently.

Essentially if you're very interested in learning all things maintenance, do it. If you are simply doing it to save a bit of money, find another running 250.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

If there aren't any carbs, I doubt the PO did much more than stuff a rag in the intake. So there may be rust in the cylinders, which can make for a :homebrew: experience in repairing. AKA a top end rebuild.

E: VV it could just be the intake port and the tops of the intake valves are corroded, or if it stopped with a valve open there could be corrosion inside the cylinder. Or, if he was smart he sealed the intake with tape after taking the carbs off. Who knows, welcome to the adventure of previously owned motorcycles!

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 6, 2015

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Wow, it looks like the carbs are the same from the 88-05 model years? So it looks like parts availability shouldn't be an issue. I wouldn't really care about the bike's appearance for as a starter bike either.

With regard to the missing carbs, with them removed, are the cylinders just exposed to air? So I should see what the PO did to protect the engine?

The bike's about an hour's drive away and there are a few others in better condition for <$1000, so I think it's not too hard to find an old bike and occupy myself with catch-up and preventative maintenance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, hmm. It's also going to be your first motorcycle?

I am someone who bought an old non-running bike as his first, with the intention of learning to fix it up at the same time. I was successful and I enjoyed the experience, so I'm not going to tell you it's a bad idea. However, if what you really want to do is ride a motorcycle, and you're thinking of going this way to save money and "oh, I guess I could learn a few things too" then you should buy a running bike and learn to do basic maintenance on it instead, and get a project bike later. Buying this will be about fixing the bike first, riding second.

When I started work on my CL350, it was in a little better shape than yours (had carbs, though they were clogged with tar, and nothing was broken). The engine had good compression and wasn't seized. As a beginner with no experience of anything more complicated than a lawnmower, it took me about three months just to get it roadworthy, working most every afternoon and evening. Cleaning and rebuilding the carburetors, rebuilding the brakes, maintaining the suspension, replacing the tires, chain and sprockets, replacing any rotted seals, cleaning/adjusting/replacing all cables and controls, rebuilding the petcock and fuel system, derusting the gas tank, replacing the battery and lights, fixing other random electrical gremlins, adjusting the valves, tuning the engine, and general cleaning and de-rusting and de-gunkifying. I also re-spoked the wheels and painted the whole thing, but you won't have to do that. Every one of those is just a regular maintenance item on a bike that's been sitting around for decades -- if something is actually broken, it gets even more complicated.

So in the end, 3 months of work to get it running, and I spent more than the bike is worth in its restored form -- and that is for a 1971 Honda that is worth an unusually high amount to hipsters. You'll find yourself in a similar situation, maybe not as costly since EX250 parts are dirt cheap, but you'll still spend more than buying a runner, and if you've got the same amount of experience as I did then anticipate the same amount of time.

It's a worthwhile experience if you're up for it. I have now disassembled and worked on every single piece of my CL350, from the transmission gears to the ignition switch contacts to the spoke nipples, and I certainly don't regret having a cool vintage motorcycle that's truly *mine*. But know what you're getting yourself into.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 6, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Someone coincidentally named "Suicide Watch" wants to get a pile of parts that may or may not be completely ruined, of a model of bike that is cheap and common in running condition, to "fix up" into a first bike.

I was on board with getting that for $300 and fixing it up, at first, since those are relatively easy bikes to work on. The ex250 is a fantastic bike, too. But after thinking about things like ruined wheel bearings, and rusted bolts, I think you shouldn't. Besides, bikes are maintenance heavy as it is. Just get a running example and vow to do most of the maintenance and repairs yourself. Between valve adjustments, carb cleaning, chain maint, clutch cable replacement, and goodness knows what else, I feel I have gained a satisfying amount of experience. I didn't have to ride a broken pile of parts during this, either.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://prescott.craigslist.org/mcy/5334795340.html

Why does the used market suck so bad here?

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Riding motorcycles is more fun than working on them. If you really want a project bike, buy a running ninja 250 then buy the project bike as a 2nd bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It'll cost you 6 months of pretty regular weeekend time as a mechanical novice and ~2000 bucks to get that thing fixed up right. 2500 if you want to buy the right tools to make it not a nightmare. Assuming the engine is in decent shape. If it's not, tack another 500 bucks for a used engine plus the work you might need.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Z3n posted:

It'll cost you 6 months of pretty regular weeekend time as a mechanical novice and ~2000 bucks to get that thing fixed up right. 2500 if you want to buy the right tools to make it not a nightmare. Assuming the engine is in decent shape. If it's not, tack another 500 bucks for a used engine plus the work you might need.

Right. I think I'll just find a cheapish running example and work with maintenance and repairs from there. At least I won't need to bother with the carbs and nonrunning engine from the get-go.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Suicide Watch posted:

Right. I think I'll just find a cheapish running example and work with maintenance and repairs from there. At least I won't need to bother with the carbs and nonrunning engine from the get-go.

This is a much better idea. You can probably find a decent running in bad cosmetic shape for 500-1200 depending on how quick you can move. Those bikes move quickly because of assholes like me snapping them up out of boredom, so you gotta be prepared with cash in hand, some kind of craigslist RSS/notifier, or count on getting lucky with your checks. Most of the time when I'm getting the deals people hate me for, I'm buying the bike within 3-12 hours of listing. I email where I mentioned I'd like to see the bike, and will be calling to ask any trivial small questions, and schedule a meeting. I then call immediately, if no answer, call 2-4 hours later, if no answer within 24 hours, I drop the bike entirely and move on to the next one. There are many cheap bikes out there, I want to be able to scope everything out up front.

Sometimes you can also get lucky by throwing out a wanted ad, throw up a price range and go nuts.

It's also super hilarious when you call someone within 2-3 minutes after they've listed the bike.

Ahh, the silly games we play to amuse ourselves.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

velocross posted:

Riding motorcycles is more fun than working on them.

To each their own. I think I like both equally.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

To each their own. I think I like both equally.

They're equally fun when you have one to ride at the same time as one to work on.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:laffo: $5,000

FB ain't having none of it

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

How ....

What ...

Huh?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

No flex in that frame. No sir.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Container Full of Buell Blast 500 Motorcycles - $600 (Lockhart)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
$1000 is... heck $600 is running Blast money.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Someone was hoarding Buell Blasts? Really?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They were probably planning on dropping that container in the ocean.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BlackMK4 posted:

They were probably planning on dropping that container in the ocean.

Artfully arranged Buell Blasts make great bases for beautiful reefs. :3:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I glanced at the ad and thought it said $600 for the entire container full. I think that's a lot closer to the actual value than what they're asking.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Considering the work required (speedo, blinkers, valves, exhaust donut) I'm thinking this is closer to a $1k bike, right? Also considering the things he's neglected as a project bike, I think it could also be a can of worms.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 8, 2015

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I feel like it makes more sense to just find a DR650SE instead of trying to finish that guys project, unless you can get it super cheap.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Admitted hoonery what?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

clutchpuck posted:

Admitted hoonery what?

read the ad wrong, I thought he said he did a thousand miles at 75mph, he did it on a different bike.

E: I meant more in the sense of how does he know he was doing 75 if the speedo is broken, hoonery is the wrong word but it seems like it may have been flogged and there's more problems under the surface. Never owned an ex250.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 8, 2015

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
75mph is hoonery, that's a new one. How's your EX250?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Excuse me while I ask all the prius' and camrys to stop hooning it up down the highway on my commute tomorrow.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Koruthaiolos posted:

I glanced at the ad and thought it said $600 for the entire container full. I think that's a lot closer to the actual value than what they're asking.

Me too, and I still balked at the thought of paying $600 and having to haul away 500 Blasts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd do it. Give em away as stocking stuffers.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Surprise, santa! We got you disappointment!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

This is worse than getting coal.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Last night, I dreamed I had a Blast and now I want to ride one.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
You really, truly dont, they're hateful things.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Dutymode posted:

Last night, I dreamed I had a Blast and now I want to ride one.

Wrong thread mate.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have one. You don't want one. Your dream was wrong.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Ahhh! http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5358289138.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
That's fun, one of it's big brothers was just posted locally. Shame they're 220KG wet.