Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
What's the status of cellular enabled Android Wear watches now that the LG got scrapped? My work banned phones years ago over camera fears, but have approved smartwatches. Really wanting something that can make standalone calls, so the newest Tizen watch is out (no speaker).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
There is a Gear S2 with cellular coming out at some point but there hasn't been an announced release date.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Verizon dropped the SmartWatch 3 to $99.99 if you wanted one and missed the eBay deal:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/sony-smartwatch-3/

Also Target is doing a flat 15 percent off everything on their website today with coupon code CYBER15 and they have the Moto 360 and Huawei Watch on there.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I picked up the Huawei Watch on sale last week, which should be delivered today. I chose the model with the mesh band, but I would like a more sporty band I can swap in for running. Can anyone give a good suggestion for one that is compatible?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rastor posted:

Verizon dropped the SmartWatch 3 to $99.99 if you wanted one and missed the eBay deal:
http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/sony-smartwatch-3/

Also Target is doing a flat 15 percent off everything on their website today with coupon code CYBER15 and they have the Moto 360 and Huawei Watch on there.

as someone who just started running again and irritated at having to hold my 5x (or have it bounce around my pocket) this would be a great solution to track my run as well as listen to music, wouldn't it? Can I use a C25K program and/or Strava with it while my phone is away?

I currently have a 360v1 but would sell that to get this if I pulled the trigger.

edit: Out of stock... question still stands for future deals though

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Three Olives posted:

There is a Gear S2 with cellular coming out at some point but there hasn't been an announced release date.

No speaker. Really wanting something that can make calls all by itself.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
When I try to view my contacts on my watch, it says they are currently unavailable. Anyone know why? I have the phone sitting right next to me, connected and everything.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Reboot the watch. If that doesn't work, reboot the phone.

It's weird, but I've found this fixed nearly all issues I've had with Android wear.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If that doesn't work super slam it onto the ground.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Final, final clearing out of the original Android Wear generation:

LG G Watch, refurbished, $50:
http://www.a4c.com/product/lg-g-watch-w100-smartwatch-black-refurbished.html

Samsung Gear Live, $80:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-Gear-Smart-Watch-Live-Android-SM-R382-Black-Waterproof-Bluetooth/201430716039

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

evleaks heavily hinting that an HTC watch is coming in Feb

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Is there any way to stop a Wear watch from vibrating for alarms on the phone? Basically, I'm using my phone as my alarm now but this is causing my watch to vibrate in the morning when the alarm goes off, which I don't want. I'm dealing with it now by just turning off BT before I go to sleep but it would be swell if I could make the watch only go off for alarms that I set ON the watch.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

Is there any way to stop a Wear watch from vibrating for alarms on the phone? Basically, I'm using my phone as my alarm now but this is causing my watch to vibrate in the morning when the alarm goes off, which I don't want. I'm dealing with it now by just turning off BT before I go to sleep but it would be swell if I could make the watch only go off for alarms that I set ON the watch.
This is not a function of Android Wear but of the specific alarm app that you are using. I'm going to guess it's the default Google one since that is the usual offender, The solution is to use a different alarm app.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Tunga posted:

This is not a function of Android Wear but of the specific alarm app that you are using. I'm going to guess it's the default Google one since that is the usual offender, The solution is to use a different alarm app.

Yeah, I use the stock Google clock app. Good job, Googs.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Require More Fire posted:

Yeah, I use the stock Google clock app. Good job, Googs.
It is especially stupid given that they added the option to have alarms fade in. What I have now is my phone slowly building up the alarm noise which is perfect but my watch is going MRRRP MRRRP MRRRP ten times as loud from the start.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've always wondered why Timely didn't have Wear integration and now I'm glad it doesn't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I've always wondered why Timely didn't have Wear integration and now I'm glad it doesn't.
Well there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't be toggleable from the app or only vibrate once the alarm is at full volume or basically any other behaviour you could desire. It makes sense for alarm-on-watch to be a thing, it just doesn't make sense for it to behave how Google made their clock app behave.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK Google sensitivity on the huawei watch is now on par with every other aw watch I've tried following today's update. Used to have to raise my voice so loud that my phone in my pocket would pick it up first.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I wear my 360 to bed, and the only problem with the alarm is that it's really easy to turn off and go back to sleep.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You could also turn of bluetooth before going to bed!

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
You could but then you'd also have to turn off WiFi on your watch if you're using that function. It's a pain in the rear end and typical Google. I love Wear and my Moto360 but there's so many little things that have to be improved yet.

Next-Gen
Sep 22, 2004

Ted Nugent is the next generation in Joint Combat soldiers

Reverse Centaur posted:

Good news: Huawei is fixing the poor mic sensitivity for "ok google" with their OTA update this week.

Bad news: Huawei can't fix the god-awful charger with an OTA update and I will continue to accidentally not charge. Luckily it still usually lasts two full days.

Hold the watch a little over the charger but don't put it on yourself. let the magnets snap it up into place. Works like 95% of the time this way instead of you setting it down, since the magnets kinda guide it into the right spot

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Fossil watch is now available for purchase on the Play Store.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Reverse Centaur posted:

evleaks heavily hinting that an HTC watch is coming in Feb

HTC One Watch
HTC One X Watch
HTC One M watch
HTC One A Watch

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
HTC "Is that the Apple Watch?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

HTC "Is that the Apple Watch?"

If there's one thing I can say about my HTC One, it's that it gets confused for an iPhone on an almost weekly basis.

Then again, people have confused my G Watch R for an Apple Watch, so I think people may just be morons.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
After the most recent AW upgrade (I got it last week), has anyone else been having issues with alerts/notifications? I am not getting them much at all anymore. I have a Zenwatch 2 and a Nexus 6.

e: Not sure on what the # of the version update was but it was the change to how the Google cards work.

booshi fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 13, 2015

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I've been getting notifications just fine, personally. But on the flip side, since the latest AW upgrade (and moving my phone to Marshmallow), my battery life on my watch has gone from moderately good to holy poo poo amazing. I was getting, on average, about 28 hours out of my original G Watch. Since those two changes, it's more like 60-65 hours. NEVER less than 48. I'm pleased as punch.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
May just do a factory reset on the watch then and see if it can fix it. I've been missing texts/emails and I'm in the middle of moving to a new house so not getting the info right away has been a big pain. I tend to leave my phone on my desk at work but I've been checking it more manually since I'm just getting nothing.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
In the past few days, calls have started showing up on my watch after they finish ringing on my phone. How can I fix this? It even happens when I answer the call.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Free designer watch faces.

errad
May 31, 2013
Will there ever be a android wear version of the samsung gear s2? Or is the problem that android wear can't facilitate the bezel action?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

errad posted:

Will there ever be a android wear version of the samsung gear s2? Or is the problem that android wear can't facilitate the bezel action?

Likely not. Making AW work for the S2's bezel would essentially be like making a AW-skin, since the S2's bezel is patented by Samsung. There are no AW skins permitted, and Samsung isn't going to open up its designs to other manufacturers.

I can see *maybe* making the bezel action translate to a swipe up/down action on AW, but then you're stripping out a lot of the convenience and functionality.

errad
May 31, 2013
Makes sense, thank you. Also, that sucks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just a heads up, going to be putting my 1st-gen 360 with stainless band (believe it's the 23mm) on Awful Mart shortly. Will be $140 shipped and is in flawless condition.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 4, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Am I the only one shocked/pissed that nothing has come out about an Urbane LTE replacement yet? I keep thinking about getting a new Wear watch but the Urban LTE was so perfect for me that I just can't bring myself to drop $300+ on another watch until there is some clarity on if cell Wear devices are forthcoming.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Three Olives posted:

Am I the only one shocked/pissed that nothing has come out about an Urbane LTE replacement yet? I keep thinking about getting a new Wear watch but the Urban LTE was so perfect for me that I just can't bring myself to drop $300+ on another watch until there is some clarity on if cell Wear devices are forthcoming.

I'm just short of f5'ing all the android sites over the issue.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Bought the Fossil Q Founder. Android Police is indifferent, leaning to no, on it. Ars Technica liked it more. For what it's worth, I think it's pretty nice. It looks far far nicer then my Apple Watch Sport.

I've paired it with my iPhone and Android phone. As a basic notification device, it works fine on the iPhone. You can't act on notifications beyond clear them (unless they are linked to Google apps), but that's usually what I do with the Apple Watch anyway. The biggest thing I miss is not having album art on music playback, which is very minor. That and how it groups gmail messages into batches, which are a pain to go through.

I didn't have the same crashing issue that Android Police had. It's been rock solid for me, when paired with iOS or Android.

If you like the style of it, then it might be worth getting.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
After debating it and one cancelled Samsung Gear S2 order, I've decided on the Huawei Watch. Can't wait to get it this Thursday!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
I ended getting the Huawei watch as my first dive into android wear. Love the watch but no clue on what apps are "must haves" if such a thing exists for Android wear apps. Not sure if this would be the place but I figured I'd start here.

I'm also sort of looking for bands but to be honest it's really nice... Not heavy which I liked about actual watches but still nice. Watches faces are next.