Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Linux Nazi posted:

Aren't they are like the original buy here / pay here dealership in phoneix?

I've never heard a single good thing about any camelback dealership.

I bought my STi from their subaru/mazda dealership, and when I had to take it in for a fender-bender a year later the body shop discovered that the rear end had been repaired previously from a almost identical wreck on the other side.

Yes, a dealership sold me a new car that had backed into cross traffic (probably in their lot) and been repaired / never disclosed to me. And I always wondered why I could never get the alignment right on the thing.

That isn't even a unique story, sadly. It's pretty common to have happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Aren't they are like the original buy here / pay here dealership in phoneix?

I've never heard a single good thing about any camelback dealership.

I bought my STi from their subaru/mazda dealership, and when I had to take it in for a fender-bender a year later the body shop discovered that the rear end had been repaired previously from a almost identical wreck on the other side.

Yes, a dealership sold me a new car that had backed into cross traffic (probably in their lot) and been repaired / never disclosed to me. And I always wondered why I could never get the alignment right on the thing.

Same thing happened to me at Santa Monica Subaru in 03'. Except the rear end was demolished, bent frame, struts etc. Only noticed when it was on the rack for it's first oil change not done by me, at 14k miles. They ended up giving me a brand new 04' in exchange for my lawyer's business card.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I bought a truck when I was much younger (like 20'ish) from the Ford dealership that was on Camelback (don't recall what they were back then, it's changed, as I know it wasn't "Camelback Ford" which is what's there now).

Years later when I knew a lot more about car buying and looked back at that paperwork, I realized that I got royally reamed on the deal. Their service department was poo poo too, I went there once for something unimportant that I can't even remember now and never went back.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Powershift posted:

All your cars are ugly.

At first i saw the sick drift angle and thought that seemed pretty dangerous.

Then the next image was the engineering behind it.

booger welded rebar seems like a poor engineering choice.

The body looks okay so somebody did this by choice. That's just scary. Just guessing from the suspension layout, ball joints and curved lower front door that it's a Lada. So the arms would have probably been forged steel. They were either penniless and had the suspension stolen, or were going for a hellaflush look. In all fairness it's still more solid than some of the other stanced cars posted here.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
What is going on with that guy's butt?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
The one in the back has five guys in it. The other one is lacking a belt or a butt to hold those jeans up. I speak from experience.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Tight pants, fat guy, he's wearing them low and all the extra material for the seat is bunching up there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Cars are a reflection of their drivers; those pants are just hella flush.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Just looks like some quality bantz with the lads, I bet their gonna 'ave a cheeky nandos next.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Why put a receiver on if it is mounted to the bumper?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chevy probably ran the numbers and decided no one actually tows anything with their truck whose purchase was justified by claiming they could do so much work with it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

ReelBigLizard posted:

A friend of a friend owns a couple of farms and the family is quite wealthy. When he needs a new landy he makes a point of turning up to the Land Rover dealership looking like Wurzel Gummidge, sitting in all the vehicles and acting like a thicko country bumpkin before paying for a brand new high spec defender in cash.

Had something similar happen when I used to work for Bang & Olufsen. Scruffy chap walked in with his kid, muddy boots, scruffy clothes, the lot. I just assumed he was looking around as it was a pretty cool shop so I showed him all the fun stuff and he ended up spending £100k with us.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Chevy probably ran the numbers and decided no one actually tows anything with their truck whose purchase was justified by claiming they could do so much work with it.

Alternatively, whatever impact bent the bumper down also bent the hitch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Alternatively, whatever impact bent the bumper down also bent the hitch.

My old Chevy work truck had a receiver hitch under the bumper. The hitch was attached to the frame via a bracket that was connected with a single through bolt. When the truck got rear-ended and the bumper bent down like that, the hitch bent down too, because the single bolt attachment point worked like a hinge.

The bumper bent down like that for the same reason, it pretty much just swiveled/bent at the bolt attachment points on either side if I remember right.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Why put a receiver on if it is mounted to the bumper?

My Dad's first trip to New Mexico with his 20ft enclose bumper pull car hauler trailer did the same thing to the hitch on his 2007 1-ton Dodge. It happened when he made a panic stop in rush hour traffic. He also checked at a scale, and I remember he mentioned that he was approximately 2,000lbs overloaded. I think he specifically said the tongue weight limit was 8,000lbs and his tongue weight was 10,000lbs. Another contributing factor was that he had an aftermarket hitch installed which bolted to the frame but I remember he said something about there being two large holes in the frame which were somehow used by the stock hitch.

Really owning a big useful trailer is it's own terrible car stuff. Since the trailer was not in constant usage, a family and close friends were allowed to burrow the trailer. The trailer got tons of use, it hauled a relatives belongings to NYC, towed a kit by plane from Maine to KS, a few trips to CA and FL. . . I'm not sure what kind of mental disorder my Dad has but he claims he really enjoys driving, he likes being out on the highway going down the road for hours on end, and he is not now nor has he ever been an over the road trucker. But the lovely part about owning a large bumper pull trailer is that everyone imaginable will try to burrow the drat thing, I still remember one day when a guy with a ranger thought he could use the trailer. . . To some extent, I have to admire U-Haul if only for the fact that their liability will attempt to prevent people from towing an over seized or over weight trailer. Instead they will just get a smaller, more dangerous piece of poo poo with a 55mph speed limit on the fenders. :haw:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I think he specifically said the tongue weight limit was 8,000lbs and his tongue weight was 10,000lbs.

Uhh what? Is that supposed to be total trailer weight?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, he had a couple of humvees on a bike rack.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's what happens when something impacts the hitch and not the bumper. That's why i always get a kick out of those little reciever hitch bumpers.

Save a $500 bumper and $50 bumper brackets by folding your frame

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

dissss posted:

Uhh what? Is that supposed to be total trailer weight?

I'm talking about poo poo that happened almost a decade ago the numbers are more than a little fuzzy in my memory. My point still remains, I know the tongue weight was well over the limit, not sure about the total trailer weight.

Powershift posted:

That's what happens when something impacts the hitch and not the bumper. That's why i always get a kick out of those little reciever hitch bumpers.

I find it difficult to see this a stupid idea. Yeah it would suck if you hit anything with the step but hitting anything in a vehicle usually ends badly. In my opinion,the worst part about is just the lower step looks really ugly. Then again, everything I know about hitches I learned from my Dad who bent the frame on his new truck while towing a trailer. :downs:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

I find it difficult to see this a stupid idea. Yeah it would suck if you hit anything with the step but hitting anything in a vehicle usually ends badly. In my opinion,the worst part about is just the lower step looks really ugly. Then again, everything I know about hitches I learned from my Dad who bent the frame on his new truck while towing a trailer. :downs:

It's a stupid idea because the entire point of a bumper is to absorb a collision without damaging an important part of the vehicle. Bumpers can easily be replaced. With this system, you protect the non-structural plastic cladding on your bumper by diverting the force directly into the vehicle's frame.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm talking about poo poo that happened almost a decade ago the numbers are more than a little fuzzy in my memory. My point still remains, I know the tongue weight was well over the limit, not sure about the total trailer weight.

The reciever hitch it slides into is bolted straight to the bottom of the frame, and hangs down about 6 inches providing whatever hits it the torque to bend th eframe. . Your regular truck bumper has mounts built to deform and is usually in a direct line with the frame meaning you'll bend parts that bolt on, instead of having to straighten the frame of the truck.

If it's a 88-98 chevy, it basically turns a $100 fender bender into a write-off, because where the frame will bend is between the cab and the box.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

If it's a 88-98 chevy, it basically turns a $100 fender bender into a write-off, because where the frame will bend is between the cab and the box.

The more I read your posts the more I like you. And we have a plow company across the street from the shop I work in. There whole fleet consists of that era chevys. And it is hilarious how lovely the frame is in that model. Also from the plowing the front frame cracks almost yearly. And I keep hoping one of the idiots who drive there trucks snaps the frame like that from ramming the plow too hard.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
If you are backing into poo poo with enough force to fold the vehicle in half (not sure how a lift failure pic is even relevant here but whatever) then I don't think a step hitch will make much difference. I doubt the thing is even made strong enough to not break off under impact.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

88h88 posted:

Had something similar happen when I used to work for Bang & Olufsen. Scruffy chap walked in with his kid, muddy boots, scruffy clothes, the lot. I just assumed he was looking around as it was a pretty cool shop so I showed him all the fun stuff and he ended up spending £100k with us.

Gotta be careful about that around here, people with money here take pride in looking scruffy. I'm too lazy for that though, when I was shopping for a DD I brought the Viper instead of the old 300D. Instant car dealership cred, better or worse, cargo shorts and all...

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Not a [temporary] plate you get from a dealer, a plate a dealer has to ferry vehicles back to the lot.

Nice try though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

glyph posted:

Not a [temporary] plate you get from a dealer, a plate a dealer has to ferry vehicles back to the lot.

Nice try though.

That's basically the same plate I got on my bike until my plates got sent to me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iwentdoodie posted:

That's basically the same plate I got on my bike until my plates got sent to me.

Yes, that's a temporary plate. Not to be confused with a dealer plate.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Powershift posted:

I support these things because it means they aren't punching a hole in my door/radiator/whatever with the ball hitch that's never been removed when they back into me in the parking lot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powershift posted:

Caught in mid-transforming.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

iwentdoodie posted:

A dealer plate is a plate that a dealer attaches to vehicles they haven't sold yet but need to go on public roads for things like test drives, dealer swaps, etc. For cars they often live in a plastic sleeve and usually hang from a closed trunk.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Mister Kingdom posted:

Caught in mid-transforming.

Looks more like a dog when it's trying to poop, hope they put newspaper down :ohdear:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

GutBomb posted:

A dealer plate is a plate that a dealer attaches to vehicles they haven't sold yet but need to go on public roads for things like test drives, dealer swaps, etc. For cars they often live in a plastic sleeve and usually hang from a closed trunk.

Most of the ones I've seen are rubber coated magnets attached at the plate holes

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Most of the ones I've seen are rubber coated magnets attached at the plate holes

When I worked at a dealership I always screwed the plates into the mounting bracket.

Day 1 I was told that if they were lost for any reason, then it's entirely my fault and my problem, and I'm on my own if they fall off.
Day 2 someone's magnetic plate holder fell off. They spent 14 hours looking for the plate.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xALes2DVuk

Not sure how well you can tell it in the video, but that spare had a good 6" of side to side wobble. They were still going 30mph down the road though.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

88h88 posted:

I went to take a look at a Cayman at a Porsche dealer, wearing my usual attire of t-shirt, trainers and not especially tidy jeans. After a good chat, the salesman said it's people dressed like me that are the ones that actually spend money, it's the ones who come in suited and booted and giving it all that who never actually put their hands in their pockets at all. Ended up letting me take the car to do what I wanted with for a few hours, no questions asked - and I'm now constantly invited to their open evenings and new car launches and things. I think it's the attitude rather than the look that gets you results.

On the other end of the scale, I went to take a look at some Audis with a friend who had £20k cash pretty much ready to spend on something used, and the attitude of the dealers was awful - constantly reminding us that 'these are premium vehicles' and implying that we'd never be able to even consider one of his precious cars, despite the used ones going for around £14-16k. Ended up going next door and spending a little more on a nearly new BMW purely because their salesmen weren't dickheads.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

How far would you go to spite a dealer, though? Yea, I went into the Ferrari dealership but they were dicks so I bought a used Lada off a guy in a 7-11 parking lot. gently caress you Ferrari!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

fyodor posted:

How far would you go to spite a dealer, though? Yea, I went into the Ferrari dealership but they were dicks so I bought a used Lada off a guy in a 7-11 parking lot. gently caress you Ferrari!

If you've got Ferrari money to throw around, you could buy a couple of Ladas and leave them in the Ferrari parking lot to bring down property values just for kicks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
If I had new-Ferrari money to burn I would just convert my tractor manufacturer into a sports car manufacturer. That'll show you fuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If I had new-Ferrari money to burn I would just convert my tractor manufacturer into a sports car manufacturer. That'll show you fuckers.

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/01/04/baby-bull-1955-lamborghini-dl25-tractor/

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/porsche-lamborghini-and-field-marshall-cc-does-powerland-steam-up/