Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are there any addictions that lower int?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume chems that increase int would decrease int while in withdrawal. At least, my addiction to buffout lowers my str when I don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

I assume you talked to nick when you got the quest. What he says is what happens. The holotapes each have a code on them and you use them to Open the door to find Eddie. I won't say what happens when you get there, but make sure you don't run in guns blazing.

I have Nick as a companion, but I didn't get any marked quest for the holotapes (and I didn't realize it had anything to do with Nick), I've just been following the evidence terminal references to other police stations with the tapes. At one point I just started looking for the places on my own because I ran out of references from the computers. I have 9 tapes so far, I'm just guessing there are 10. Really hope this is bugged out because I spent a bunch of effort thinking it was an unmarked quest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At some point he should do the "Do you have time to talk" like all the other companions do. At least, if you've been doing things he likes and his affinity is high enough.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Cojawfee posted:

At some point he should do the "Do you have time to talk" like all the other companions do. At least, if you've been doing things he likes and his affinity is high enough.

Oh yeah he did that, but he didn't mention Eddie Winters or the holotapes or anything. He just told me he was Robocop. Didn't realize this was as a result of collecting the tapes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just keep doing things he likes. I think there are three instances for each companion where they will extrapolate their back story. The first time they tell you about themselves, the second time they give you a quest and the third time is after the quest where you can try to romance them or whatever to increase affinity more to get their perk. So you've got the conversation where he explains what he is. Eventually he will want to talk again and he'll explain Eddie Winter.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Falken posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/VrTOJ

Someone used a trashcan to glitch into an area of the mass fusion building, and found some freefall armor pieces that prevent fall damage.

They're random drops too and I was lucky enough to get a matching pair so I have literally no fall damage now. It's pretty sweet.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

They're random drops too and I was lucky enough to get a matching pair so I have literally no fall damage now. It's pretty sweet.

there's even a cool landing animation when you fall from really high

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Just keep doing things he likes. I think there are three instances for each companion where they will extrapolate their back story. The first time they tell you about themselves, the second time they give you a quest and the third time is after the quest where you can try to romance them or whatever to increase affinity more to get their perk. So you've got the conversation where he explains what he is. Eventually he will want to talk again and he'll explain Eddie Winter.

Ok thanks. I was hoping something like that would happen.

Another question: how the hell does VATS accuracy work? I have over 10 perception and even weapons with really high accuracy and scopes seem to have piddling VATS accuracy. Like, shots I could make with every single time without fail, VATS gives me <50%. For medium/close range and moving targets and cover, the % makes more sense but it seems really random. Sometimes I'll have 70% to hit a head at 20', sometimes I'll 40%, with the same weapon. It's driving me nuts.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Someone builds a real life shishkebab because that's the Right Thing To Do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijwebuSJG8

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MY ABACUS! posted:

That arm position is impossible.
Speaking of arm positions, I noticed that during the first convo with Maxson, that at the end of the dialogue his arm OH GOD SO SO BADLY clips right through one side of his chest and out the other... Thet coat is FLUFFY!

Also, why the gently caress does he have a weird BDSM harness on under the coat? Now I can only imagine him crawling around on all fours and licking Danse's ever-so-filthy boots while he's being beaten with a riding crop.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Evilreaver posted:

Hey, has anyone done a "Wandering Salesman" shortest-path solution for Settlements? I'm just enough of a sperg that inefficient fast travel bothers me.
What are you even asking? Do you want to know the shortest as-the-crow-flies order to walk to every settlement? I have no idea what you mean.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Falken posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/VrTOJ

Someone used a trashcan to glitch into an area of the mass fusion building, and found some freefall armor pieces that prevent fall damage.
Somebody used a power armor jetpack and already posted about that ages ago.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Oh geez, I guessed I must have missed that somewhere in the last thousand pages or so.

Also, is your edit button broken?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

coyo7e posted:

What are you even asking? Do you want to know the shortest as-the-crow-flies order to walk to every settlement? I have no idea what you mean.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_salesman_problem

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know for sure, but I would assume chems that increase int would decrease int while in withdrawal. At least, my addiction to buffout lowers my str when I don't use it.

Usually when you get addicted to chems, which you should try to get rid of right away, you lose reverse stats and buffs. So buffout addiction usually reduces your damage output and psycho your max health.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Has anyone found legendary enemies that don't drop legendaries? I just had a legendary ghoul that dropped, like, a spoon. Not even an explosive spoon. Nothing else.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Has anyone found legendary enemies that don't drop legendaries? I just had a legendary ghoul that dropped, like, a spoon. Not even an explosive spoon. Nothing else.

Sometimes settlers and companions will steal them if they get to the body first.

Check the inventories of any friendlies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
^^^^ I've had a couple that dropped nothing.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Usually when you get addicted to chems, which you should try to get rid of right away, you lose reverse stats and buffs. So buffout addiction usually reduces your damage output and psycho your max health.

Buffout increases STR and END by 2. When I'm in withdrawal, it decreases my STR and END by 1. I tried it with mentats which increases INT and PER. I downed ten mentats to get addicted and waited til they wore off. It only decreased my PER by one but not INT. I guess there's no addiction that lowers INT. You can see the affects of withdrawal by pressing Q (or whatever on console) on the first tab of the pip boy that says your body part health.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I wish they'd have ditched the whole companion inventory and equipment system. It's annoying to activate the same dialogue 100 times, I never feel like there's armor I want to give them (because they usually look good in whatever particular outfit they designed them in), I hate managing ammo for them, and it's tedious to use them as mules for junk or extra weapons.

I'm fine with that kind of management in other RPGs, but it's just really frustrating in Bethesda games.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

You missed his point and I still don't get what the original question was, either. His wording was that he didn't like "inefficient" fast travel, which makes no sense. All fast travel is instant. If he was trying to avoid fast travel altogether, I'd understand the question completely, but that didn't sound like it was what he was asking.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Sometimes settlers and companions will steal them if they get to the body first.

Check the inventories of any friendlies.

Nope, all by myself in the NG Armory. I even reloaded in case I glitched it out by one-shotting it, and it still didn't have anything.

Toadsmash posted:

You missed his point and I still don't get what the original question was, either. His wording was that he didn't like "inefficient" fast travel, which makes no sense. All fast travel is instant. If he was trying to avoid fast travel altogether, I'd understand the question completely, but that didn't sound like it was what he was asking.

It still makes time pass in the world, and the farther you're going the more time is passing. That's a seriously minor quibble, though. Virtually nothing is time-sensitive other than some worthless settlement defense quests.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Does it always rain in the southern bogs? It seems every time I venture to that area it's constant pouring rain. Getting a bit tired of this.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Seashell Salesman posted:

Oh yeah he did that, but he didn't mention Eddie Winters or the holotapes or anything. He just told me he was Robocop. Didn't realize this was as a result of collecting the tapes.

He won't give you the quest until you're done with the memory den part of the main questline

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CasualMaleXL posted:

I had a playthrough where I tried to beeline to that quest- you still have to have progressed the main story.

God drat. Can't we have Common Sense as a trait that just activates common sense? I mean, we're fuckin' humans still.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I guess there aren't any addictions that lower int. :smith:

I wanted to get it as low as possible for idiot savant. So I'm assuming the lowest I'll be able to get is a temporary -1 with the alcohol perk.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Is Steam Workshop going to be enabled for this game at some point?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
After exploring the glowing sea I kind of want to play an entire game based around that idea. An open world that's just one huge hostile environment that you need to be in a huge suit of power armour to survive. Like being an astronaut, only you have to fend off killer space mutants.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I guess there aren't any addictions that lower int. :smith:

I wanted to get it as low as possible for idiot savant. So I'm assuming the lowest I'll be able to get is a temporary -1 with the alcohol perk.

Some people calculated the idiot savant proc chance versus increase exp from intelligence and found that the optimal int for max exp is 4.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Is Steam Workshop going to be enabled for this game at some point?
I thought they were moving over to their own Bethesda.net thing instead of using the Steam Workshop.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

gullah jack posted:

I thought they were moving over to their own Bethesda.net thing instead of using the Steam Workshop.

Oh cool, I was worried it'd be too convenient for me to add some mods to clean up this game.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Some people calculated the idiot savant proc chance versus increase exp from intelligence and found that the optimal int for max exp is 4.

Well that's no fun.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Internet Kraken posted:

After exploring the glowing sea I kind of want to play an entire game based around that idea. An open world that's just one huge hostile environment that you need to be in a huge suit of power armour to survive. Like being an astronaut, only you have to fend off killer space mutants.
Isn't this like half of the Metro games?

Is their a companion that is more annoying than Preston? His constant mockery of garbage farming is grating. Yeah I'm picking up this typewriter and yes your carrying it. You think those artillery make themselves?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
I decided not to level MacCready because a game breaking perk does not meet my price for putting up with him. He has been sentenced to nude hard labor in Fuckboy Acres where he will live out his sentence.

Hancock I'm willing to try though, whose credentials towards tolerating mayhem include "Mayor of Drug City"

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I really took a liking to Danse when he did NOT whine about me picking crafting junk when I used him, he says something like "Good idea, that could be useful!" or something

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Squirrel Burger posted:

I decided not to level MacCready because a game breaking perk does not meet my price for putting up with him. He has been sentenced to nude hard labor in Fuckboy Acres where he will live out his sentence.

Hancock I'm willing to try though, whose credentials towards tolerating mayhem include "Mayor of Drug City"

Where do you find MacCready? Same with getting Hancock. Is it after a certain point in the main quest? I haven't journeyed into the glowing sea yet.

I've just been screwing around exploring, doing side quests, and building my forts across the Commonwealth.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Shooting Kellogg in the head with a mini nuke is canonical, calling it now. Why else would they plant that Fat Man in the Fort Hagen armoury?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I hope the game didn't want me to think of X6-88 as some kind of badass or anything, cause the BoS landed a Vertibird with a bunch of low level troops and chased him down and took him out easily(except he's essential so...).

^^MacCready and Hancock are both in Goodneighbor, you can get there and get them long before you do anything with the main quest but the main quest will eventually direct you there.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Squirrel Burger posted:

I spent close to 30 hours with him. I did enjoy his personal quest and storyline though. Gelled really well with the protagonist's goal. He's an annoying twat, but can be quite endearing at times. Provided you don't actually involve him in the main quest. There are plenty of side quests to max him out without putting up with him throughout the story.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MacCready's very last event is pretty :unsmith:

And then you get that perk and everything becomes :unsmigghh:

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

Mr Hootington posted:

Where do you find MacCready? Same with getting Hancock. Is it after a certain point in the main quest? I haven't journeyed into the glowing sea yet.

I've just been screwing around exploring, doing side quests, and building my forts across the Commonwealth.

Goodneighbor. But you can go into the Glowing Sea whenever too. I just happened on it randomly on a southern discovery run, tossed on my hazmat suit, and just walked around killing bugs and checking out the coolest area in Fallout. Especially on Survival mode at an early level, the place takes on an amazing threatening tone and makes you feel like a deep-danger explorer.

Jay Rust posted:

Shooting Kellogg in the head with a mini nuke is canonical, calling it now. Why else would they plant that Fat Man in the Fort Hagen armoury?

Yeah, I was also encumbered with 2x my carry weight on Survival so I assume "several nukes to the face" is most peoples' strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ohhh nice! Thanks for the reference!

I don't really think that is an efficient way to do things in this game though - it's much easier to focus on one town which is your main, and one which is your labor force, and then basically use the labor force town as a hub to send out supplies almost everywhere else - otherwise it's insanely hard to keep track of.. And at least with a hub+spokes thing for one or two major points, you can color-code your provisioners with mining helmets if you care to. :spergin:

Cojawfee posted:

^^^^ I've had a couple that dropped nothing.
Never seen one drop nothing, but I have seen them get disarmed. I'm not on PC and modding my game though fwiw.

Falken posted:

Oh geez, I guessed I must have missed that somewhere in the last thousand pages or so.

Also, is your edit button broken?
Mee-yow!

It works fine, thanks! :)

• Locked thread