Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I guess business cards will become obsolete once Outlook starts handling contact info in a way that's actually, you know, searchable in a sane way. (Maybe it's just the way it's set up in our consortium, I don't know :shrug:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Rectus posted:

I got a similar one with a weird concept. It's a PCMCIA card that you need to shove into a laptop to sync the contacts.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that exact thing on a later episode of The Computer Chronicles.

What I love about that show is that, as demonstrated by their many episodes dedicated to portable technology, they basically had all the same poo poo we have now twenty years ago.

It just sucked and cost thousands of dollars.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Kareem posted:

As for the next obsolete tech, anything you control with your voice. We don't even like talking on our phones. Why the gently caress would we want to talk to them.

I have an amazon echo and it works well enough for what I use it for, basically an over priced bluetooth speaker that I can yell at to play radio/pandora and set kitchen timers.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Collateral Damage posted:

A friend of mine loves the clit mouse and laments that only Thinkpads still have them. I don't understand him.

My first laptop ever (at my first job out of college) was a Thinkpad and I too feel in love with the nub. Ten years later and I'd still take it over most trackpads.

It's probably like if your first crush was your chubby babysitter and ever since then you have a thing for heftier women/men/nonbinary lifeforms.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

twistedmentat posted:

Yep. My friend who used to be a Dominatrix has one, and they were really popular with her female clients. Sex toys are nether obsolete nor failed.
Violet Wands didn't start out as sex toys, though. They started out as a quack therapy for things like hair loss. They were rediscovered by the BDSM crowd in the late 20th century, and for awhile you could make good money by rewiring originals. Then they started being remanufactured.

quote:

Is there any tech right now anyone thinks that may be seen and failed/obsolete in the near future? The only thing I can think of is controllerless motion controls. The fact Xbone sales went up when it was sold without Kinect implies that people don't want it. Even controller based ones I feel are going to be relegated to specific types of games, and not being the main way games are controlled in the future.
Dedicated word processors. There's still one brand being sold (the AlphaSmart, for educational use), but it's on its last legs. Along the same lines, dedicated personal medical computation for things like communication for nonverbal people. The newer generation of that sort of stuff is using iPads or the equivalent instead of specialized hardware. In general, single-purpose personal computer-task hardware is going to go the way of the calculator, the nonsmart cellphone, the dedicated recipe computer (somebody, somewhere must have bought those, right?), and so on. I think the Kindle will be an exception for awhile because, like the iPod, it's actually a façade for selling media content.

I'd like to think that smartphones as we know them now are on their last legs, but that's just optimism.

I liked the clit mouse, too, because I couldn't hit it with my wrist the way I do the damned trackpad.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Dedicated computers to aid people with disabilities aren't going to be replaced with iPads and some software, because there are plenty of disabled people who can't use an iPad, and need something like a Lucy to operate a computer, regardless of what that computer does.

A Lucy being a device that replaces keyboard and mouse with a panel you can point at with a laser instead.
So people with minimal head or hand movement can use a computer without the requirement of being able to move, let alone lift, their own arm.
It can even be configured to work with only a single push button. And because it is a self contained device, any computer just sees it as a generic usb keyboard and mouse. No drivers needed.

And there are plenty highly specialized devices like that, which are very impractical to make into an iPad app or just plain impossible because the disability of someone makes it impossible for them to use an iPad to begin with.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Trabant posted:

It's probably like if your first crush was your chubby babysitter and ever since then you have a thing for heftier women/men/nonbinary lifeforms.

Nah it's just a flat out better input device for most office-y type stuff.

There is a good reason why any proper corporate laptop will still have a trackpoint (and why people screamed so loudly when Lenovo ruined theirs during the x40 era).

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I think that calls and texting are on their way out. Most of the people I know only have voice service because their mobile Internet plan forces it on them. There is no technical reason why 99% of consumers can't switch to a VoIP service with integrated SMS tomorrow, the technology is there, and at some point the telecoms won't be able to get away with charging people for obsolete technology.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

twistedmentat posted:

Were PDAs ever popular? I remember working for HP in the early 2000s and they heavily pushed their line, but as far as I can tell, no one ever bought them. From the conversations I had, people basically were wanting what would become the smart phone. Which is probably why the Blackberry was such a massive success out of the gate, even if they're nearly out of business now.

I had a few varieties of Palm and some Handspring including the Prism as well as my old monster Newton 2100 (which I still have and still works great:stonk:). My first 'smartphone was the TREO 650 actually.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

The Simpsons reference was from the Newton MessagePad's notoriously (and hilariously) terrible handwriting recognition. Palm's Graffiti input, by contrast, was fast and accurate. In fact when I first started using a stylus with the iPad, I had to unlearn all the Graffiti shorthand I had retained.

The first Newton's handwriting recognition was pretty bad but when Newton 2.0 was released, it was considered the best in the industry for 10 years.

I loved my Treo 650, and still use it from time to time for various reasons. The only reason I upgraded from it to the first iPhone was because T-Mobile hosed me over on my supposed unlimited data, so I jumped ship to AT&T.

empty baggie has a new favorite as of 23:48 on Dec 12, 2015

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Plinkey posted:

I have an amazon echo and it works well enough for what I use it for, basically an over priced bluetooth speaker that I can yell at to play radio/pandora and set kitchen timers.

I have one too and yeah, it's an overpriced Bluetooth speaker. If it integrated with Spotify it'd be fantastic. As it is, if I don't have my phone nearby to pair I have to be careful what I ask it to play because I'm more likely to get a cover band or karaoke version of the artist I'm requesting than the real thing.

It's kind of neat asking it what's new and getting 5 minutes of news' summaries.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

empty baggie posted:

I loved my Treo 650, and still use it from time to time for various reasons. The only reason I upgraded from it to the first iPhone was because T-Mobile hosed me over on my supposed unlimited data, so I jumped ship to AT&T.

I still believe that there is a place for the clamshell computer.

Small enough to fit in a coat pocket, but with a keyboard that you can type decently on.

Tablets are too bulky, smartphones are too small. These are just right.

Heck, if you could hack wifi and decent file sync onto a 5mx, I'd buy this hunk of 1999's tech and use it today.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Plinkey posted:

Its nice that its open source. I know someone with it and its basically a sassy speaker that poo poo talks her at this point.

The word processor thing reminded me of the brief period when e-machines were released. They were simple computers that were designed for emailing and web browsing. Even before smartphones and tablets people didn't want these because they were junk. Plus, the concept was flawed. People didn't feel the need at the time to have instant web access from their kitchen or whatever. I also think part of its marketing being aimed at women by going on about how you can look up recipes and such sterotypical lady things. It didn't appeal to tech minded men and I'd not be surprised to find women found it sexist and condescending.

Were they called emachines or was that just a brand name?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Maybe you were thinking of something else? eMachines was a computer manufacturer that did specialize in low end stuff but they weren't awful. They would just come with a Celeron or AMD K6-2 (with 3D-NOW!!! Woo!!!) instead of a Pentium II and no 3D acceleration when stuff like a Riva TNT 2 was becoming a fairly common addition to home PCs.

A friend's mom had one and it was pretty much entirely trouble free. It even survived taking a lightning strike with only a dead 33.6kbps modem to show for it.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

spog posted:

I still believe that there is a place for the clamshell computer.

Small enough to fit in a coat pocket, but with a keyboard that you can type decently on.

Tablets are too bulky, smartphones are too small. These are just right.

Heck, if you could hack wifi and decent file sync onto a 5mx, I'd buy this hunk of 1999's tech and use it today.

Did the 5mx have a screen ribbon less prone to destroying itself? My dad had one, and as expected, screen ribbon ate itself. There used to be a guy who sold redesigned ones (or just replacements, I forget), as they were a pretty common failure point. It was a pretty baller device though. You could send emails with an attachable modem, and it even had a digital audio recorder with buttons right on the outside!

Of course, around that time I remember being more impressed with the palmtops running Windows CE. How could you not be impressed by a tiny portable windows computer?

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

The word processor thing reminded me of the brief period when e-machines were released. They were simple computers that were designed for emailing and web browsing. Even before smartphones and tablets people didn't want these because they were junk. Plus, the concept was flawed. People didn't feel the need at the time to have instant web access from their kitchen or whatever. I also think part of its marketing being aimed at women by going on about how you can look up recipes and such sterotypical lady things. It didn't appeal to tech minded men and I'd not be surprised to find women found it sexist and condescending.

Yeah, as Shifty Pony said, eMachines were standard low end PCs, but there were several failed "internet appliances" at the turn of the century
like the 3com Audrey

or the i-Opener.

They were all underpowered and had terrible custom operating systems limiting them to a web browser without multitasking or plugins. These were the days before HTML5, so if your browser didn't support plugins like flash, realplayer, and quicktime, the most advanced thing the browser could display was an animated gif.

lazydog has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Dec 13, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I have, within the last year, set my 5" phone in landscape on a table, plugged in a small usb keyboard, and done reasonable amounts of work over SSH. I felt like a '90s holdover, but it was admittedly very useful.

I used a lenovo keyboard, basically the X1 Carbon keyboard with USB, so as a bonus I even got to use android with a trackpoint. It works a bit better than you'd fear, though I never found a sensible way to simulate the home/back/menu button without poking at the phone.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I kind of wish the eVilla and the other BeIA appliances would have taken off.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

lazydog posted:

Yeah, as Shifty Pony said, e-machines were standard low end PCs, but there were several failed "internet appliances" at the turn of the century
like the 3com Audrey

or the i-Opener.

They were all underpowered and had terrible custom operating systems limiting them to a web browser without multitasking or plugins. These were the days before HTML5, so if your browser didn't support plugins like flash, realplayer, and quicktime, the most advanced thing the browser could display was an animated gif.

These are exactly what I was thinking of, including the goofy looking Audry with its weird antenna.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

mints posted:

I kind of wish the eVilla and the other BeIA appliances would have taken off.

Didn't they break attributes and queries in that? Which is hilarious, because those features be great for a media player...

Can BeOS itself qualify here? Man I wish that it had taken off enough for other systems to steal the filesystem features at least...

Computer viking posted:

I have, within the last year, set my 5" phone in landscape on a table, plugged in a small usb keyboard, and done reasonable amounts of work over SSH. I felt like a '90s holdover, but it was admittedly very useful.

I've done it with a bluetooth keyboard and an even smaller phone when my PC doesn't work or I'm having internet issues. It works.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Keiya posted:

Didn't they break attributes and queries in that? Which is hilarious, because those features be great for a media player...

Can BeOS itself qualify here? Man I wish that it had taken off enough for other systems to steal the filesystem features at least...

There's a universe out there where Apple bought Be instead of NextStep and used it instead. Teapots rule the day there. I'd love to see where OS X ended up with Be and without Jobs. (probably in the trash)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Keiya posted:

The feature I miss the most is the right-click-to-navigate-folders feature in the Tracker (i.e., the file manager). And the spring-loaded folders (OS X has those, but they are unusably slow compared to how they worked in BeOS.)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zopotantor posted:

(OS X has those, but they are unusably slow compared to how they worked in BeOS.)

Lower the delay in the preferences window, if you haven’t already.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Its nice that its open source. I know someone with it and its basically a sassy speaker that poo poo talks her at this point.

Did you mean the Eee Pc?

I kinda wanted one at the peak of their popularity, but god they look painful to use.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

monolithburger posted:

Did you mean the Eee Pc?

I kinda wanted one at the peak of their popularity, but god they look painful to use.

I've still got one knocking around somewhere.

They were awesome and yet deeply flawed.

Great:
cheap enough to carry and not always be worrying about it being stolen/damaged
small enough to fit in a bag and not be noticed

Bad:
the installed Linux software had a few bugs: including email not working
the keyboard was very slow to use
you could squeeze WinXP on it: but it was a real struggle to fit

Turd:
The screen was shite: poor colours and resolutions made everything look dull and hard to read and 1024x600 is a terrible size as all the pop-up windows invariably had their buttons below the bottom of the screen. Every time you did something, you had to scroll down to find the button to click.

If they made one today with a good quality/sized screen that you could run Win7 on and everything else remained the same, I'd probably buy one.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

spog posted:

I've still got one knocking around somewhere.

They were awesome and yet deeply flawed.

Great:
cheap enough to carry and not always be worrying about it being stolen/damaged
small enough to fit in a bag and not be noticed

Bad:
the installed Linux software had a few bugs: including email not working
the keyboard was very slow to use
you could squeeze WinXP on it: but it was a real struggle to fit

Turd:
The screen was shite: poor colours and resolutions made everything look dull and hard to read and 1024x600 is a terrible size as all the pop-up windows invariably had their buttons below the bottom of the screen. Every time you did something, you had to scroll down to find the button to click.

If they made one today with a good quality/sized screen that you could run Win7 on and everything else remained the same, I'd probably buy one.

I had the EEE 1000H (with an extra gig of RAM added) that came preloaded with XP and my god using that thing for *anything* was frustrating. Slow as balls.

Astrobastard has a new favorite as of 18:42 on Dec 13, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I got a Samsung Windows 7 mini laptop for free which was nice because after finding out it was completely unusable I took the HDD out and put it in my PS3.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Astrobastard posted:

I had the EEE 1000H (with an extra gig of RAM added) that came preloaded with XP and my god using that thing for *anything* was frustrating. Slow as balls.

I loaded one up with the lightest, usable version of linux I could find and it still had problems. The resolution being so terrible made trying to do anything a goddamned nightmare. That keyboard still gives me nightmares, too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I had one of the Dell Mini9s or whatever, that thing was the biggest pile of poo poo I've ever used. Screen to small, couldn't run anything. The only thing that I actually used it for was browsing the internet during my grad school classes. It's only redeeming quality was the battery life.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Intoluene posted:

I loaded one up with the lightest, usable version of linux I could find and it still had problems. The resolution being so terrible made trying to do anything a goddamned nightmare. That keyboard still gives me nightmares, too.

I tried to get a lot of Linuxes set up on the Samsung just so I could use it as a light-weight IRC terminal and media streamer (because the battery life was nice and it did video and sound OK) but since Linux is Linux, if the wireless worked, the sound didn't, and vice versa, and gently caress you Linux people your free software sucks and your documentation sucks even worse and that's because you're all morons who can't even write documentation I mean for god's sake it's just English you know English right? I hope you get syphilis and your legs fall off.

(Then again I've never had much problems with desktops so :shrug:)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm sure loads of people have already mentioned the fact that Linux is a failed technology. The obsolete releases are actually way better than any of the ones from the past fiveten years or so. Rolling your own makes for a really good system but then who has the time.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Speaking of internet appliances, WebTV.

1996-2013, so not a failure, but certainly obsolete. Can you imagine trying to view a modern website in lovely SD resolution?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm sure loads of people have already mentioned the fact that Linux is a failed technology. The obsolete releases are actually way better than any of the ones from the past fiveten years or so. Rolling your own makes for a really good system but then who has the time.

Linux has its place and that's as a server OS. If you want UNIX on the desktop, then get OS X.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I want a multi-user system I'll just buy a mainframe and run Unix thank you very much :smugmrgw:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't think Linux has failed... It's very prominent on smartphones. It is terrible, but isn't exactly a failure

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jerry Cotton posted:

I tried using ubuntu today. It is still to this day the least user friendly experience I've ever had.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Desktop linux still sucks, but I run a bunch of Debian VMs at home because they make great servers.

flosofl posted:

Linux has its place and that's as a server OS. If you want UNIX on the desktop, then get OS X.

Yep, pretty much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If it doesn't work, it's a failure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

XYZ posted:

Speaking of internet appliances, WebTV.

1996-2013, so not a failure, but certainly obsolete. Can you imagine trying to view a modern website in lovely SD resolution?

"About 91% of visitors are on Windows. Mac users make up 5% and Linux is 2%. The other 2% are permabanned IRC trolls browsing the forums with a text-based browser written in Ruby on OpenBSD. Oh yeah, we have one guy using WebTV but I banned him because WTF." -- Radium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jerry Cotton posted:

I'm sure loads of people have already mentioned the fact that Linux is a failed technology.
You have no idea what you are talking about.