Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Skoll posted:

Is the tiering system pretty much representative of KDR or is it basically a progression bar? I keep trying to make it go down but it stays stuck on Tier 4.

From what I've read unless you manage to do really really badly in a game against lower tiered opponents it's almost always going to increase or stay static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Trip report: 6 ac/2 dire still fun. I'm glad they fixed a lot of dumb poo poo though. Going to have to go back and set up my old SRM Awesome again and some other boats.

e: I was also happy to see map voting in the game, till I realized that for some horrifying reason tons of people vote for Alpine whenever it is available. I don't understand that at all.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 13, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Nurge posted:

e: I was also happy to see map voting in the game, till I realized that for some horrifying reason tons of people vote for Alpine whenever it is available. I don't understand that at all.

Players will whine endlessly in chat about hot maps being a chore because they can't fire as much, and then go to the forums to say they want kills to take longer before going back to only playing on cold maps. Do not seek to understand, ever.

Okay so I'm gonna try this again. I've been leaving my medium 'mech comfort zone to get into heavies, mostly through the Catapult so far. I picked up the Jester during the sale (with ancient founders pack MC) and then the CPLT-A1 and CPLT-C4. At first I ran them with XL engines, but after getting used to the idea of rolling around with the weight of a standard engine in my Crab, I tried it with these and I'm not sure if it's worthwhile or not. When I run XL, I get shot in the sides. The matches I've run with a STD, I've taken comically more CT damage than ST, but it has saved my butt a couple times. I don't feel as competent in heavies as I do in mediums like the Griffin, Crab, and Trebuchet, so I'm not really sure how to correctly evaluate my results with some of these builds- whether changes made were good, or if I just fought pubbies worse than myself. Any advice for which of these to go with or changes to make?

CPLT-J 3xLPL 2xML 2xJJ XL325
CPLT-J 4xLL 2xSL 2xJJ XL325
CPLT-J 6xMPL 2xJJ BAP STD300

CPLT-C4 4xSRM4+A 2xML 4xJJ STD275
CPLT-C4 4xSRM6+A 2xML 4xJJ XL300

I could fit a STD295 at the cost of a heatsink on the STD275 version, but that would mean dicking around taking ferro-fibrous on and off for different builds. Otherwise I'm not sure if I should use SPL instead of ML for the last-ditch guns, or carry more or less ammo. As far as flavor goes I really like jumpjets so I probably unwisely pack as many as I can, but it's nice to abuse terrain.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Props to Anticheese last night for running a hilarious gag for a few hours of herding pubbies. Dude was putting on this officious announcer like voice and trying to lead pubs to victory. poo poo was funny as hell.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
People were talking about boating SRMs on light assaults last page; you could just add 5 tons to the weight of a Zeus and go Stalker with 4/5/6 SRMs and some lasers. I'm sure it'd be more survivable and pack more punch too. Think I'm gonna try one next.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sard posted:

Players will whine endlessly in chat about hot maps being a chore because they can't fire as much, and then go to the forums to say they want kills to take longer before going back to only playing on cold maps. Do not seek to understand, ever.

Okay so I'm gonna try this again. I've been leaving my medium 'mech comfort zone to get into heavies, mostly through the Catapult so far. I picked up the Jester during the sale (with ancient founders pack MC) and then the CPLT-A1 and CPLT-C4. At first I ran them with XL engines, but after getting used to the idea of rolling around with the weight of a standard engine in my Crab, I tried it with these and I'm not sure if it's worthwhile or not. When I run XL, I get shot in the sides. The matches I've run with a STD, I've taken comically more CT damage than ST, but it has saved my butt a couple times. I don't feel as competent in heavies as I do in mediums like the Griffin, Crab, and Trebuchet, so I'm not really sure how to correctly evaluate my results with some of these builds- whether changes made were good, or if I just fought pubbies worse than myself. Any advice for which of these to go with or changes to make?

I recall 2LPL 4ML and an xl350 engine working really well on the Jester. The key is to just go flat-out at all times and not engage in face to face fights.

Something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=121&l=b07bb57e2a44188962cc0dbd2010f269bd3a78d4

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 13, 2015

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Skoll posted:

Props to Anticheese last night for running a hilarious gag for a few hours of herding pubbies. Dude was putting on this officious announcer like voice and trying to lead pubs to victory. poo poo was funny as hell.

Oh man I had VOIP off all that time. :smith:

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
I tried to read some of the posts and look around various resources (smurfy, metamechs, etc.) for more info, but what exactly did they do to bring brawling back?

As far as I can tell: Heat Sink caps were nerfed but rates buffed which helps that, some quirk changes which I don't know anything about, and some map changes.

I've played a couple matches here and there for the random events with easy to get prizes, but haven't really kept up at all. I just dropped in my special snowflake mechs to farm damage/match score/kills/assists.

Could I also get an invite to one of the units? I can roll Clan or IS since I have an embarrassing number of mechs.
Yutaka is IGN.

Sard posted:

Catapult stuff

I'm awful at this game and I play too many special snowflake builds myself, but 80 points of armor on the arms for just 1 laser each seems kind of like a waste of tonnage. You could probably get better mobility and firepower on other mechs?

Did they lower the heat output on SRMs by a lot? I'm looking at the heat generation tables on smurfy now and it seems to be lower than I remember but no idea what it stands compared to previously.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Projectile speed was increased, they tightened up the spread as well. Ghost heat limit was increased by one.

Also a few mechs got structure bonuses (namely atlas) that makes them very durable.

I've ran my Atlas S into a few firing lines and it held up real well (so long as your mechbros are behind ya)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Willfrey posted:

but serious answer, maybe the griffin that has the ECM?

Pattonesque posted:

ECM Griffin and Griffin 3M are nasty. -3M has best quirks

I'll try this once I have enough C-bills and report back as to how bad it is.

In other news, I had a ton of fun playing this with goons last night, so I highly recommend new people get invited to WoL and get on mumble. Thanks, goons I played with last night. :)

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

If anybody is online at this hour please invite Edelguard to the Clan, thx.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

When are they going to put the Archer up for sale so I can make a terrible financial decision?!?

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013

Willfrey posted:

Projectile speed was increased, they tightened up the spread as well. Ghost heat limit was increased by one.

Also a few mechs got structure bonuses (namely atlas) that makes them very durable.

I've ran my Atlas S into a few firing lines and it held up real well (so long as your mechbros are behind ya)

Oh poo poo, that's very nice buffs. I have an AS7-S(L) that's a pure short range brawler. Time to bring it out of the garage.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
will try to send some GIRL invites today. friend Pattonesque in game if you want 'em

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So after all of these years I have finally sold my Shadow Hawk and all of the IS equipment. I now have enough for that Shadow Cat that I always wanted, I am so ecstatic! I also have some leftover change for new clan equipment.

I need recommendations for which Shadow Cat variant to buy, please.

Here are my current opinions after playing around and comparing them (please let me know how retarded I am):

• SCat A: i don't see any reason to pick this one over the SCat B... it has one less hardpoint and no ECM but for whatever reason almost everything else is the same.
  • SCat B: by default this one comes with the highest Damage-Per-Alpha-Strike score. this is also the most expensive one because of the ECM. as a medium pilot, i have the absolute most consistent success when i babysit the assault mechs on the team... and if i buy this one then they'll always have my ECM cover, which would be loving awesome for the tier 4 matches I play in all the time. i'm currently leaning toward this one, but i can't find a good combination of the 2E 2M hardpoints to work with no matter how much i play with it. i'm trying to maximize damage while keeping heat mgmt above 1.25. if anyone knows a solution to that little math problem please let me know!
  • SCat Prime: this is the nostalgia mw3 one that i originally wanted all these years, but the damage-per-alpha-strike is very weak so idk if it's the way i should actually go. the AMS is cool because it'll help me babysit the assault mechs... but if i'm so concerned with that then why not get the SCat B variant so i can have the magical ECM coverage? i also tried messing around in the mechlab with it and i was able to make some better damage-per-alpha-strike options than with the SCat B, so i don't know.
  • SCat P: 7 Ballistics hardpoints sounds loving awesome but this mech isn't heavy enough to handle anything other than the Machine Guns it comes with. Maybe if I replace the Gauss Rifle with something more. my impression is that i'll only be able to play in meme styles or whatever if i go with this one. By default, though, it has the 2nd highest damage-per-alpha-strike score out of the 4 variants so it can't be all that bad... right? Maybe if I swap the Gauss Rifle for a UAC5 or UAC10 it'd be more worth it? Because the default loadout is either point blank range or sniper long range... so a UAC would make the mech better for brawling, I guess?

I'll check back in a few hours or whatever before I make my decision on which one to buy.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 13, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
If you are new to clans here are a few things you should know:

The only consistent difference among clan mechs is the center torso. That is it. The quirks and hardpoints of the center torso are locked to that variant, all other arm/torso/leg/head ominpods with their hardpoints/quirks can be switched or purchased with other variants after you buy one. The quirks are a little harder to get down to, but when in the mechlab if you go to the ominpods tab and mouse over the different pods it will show you their quirks.

If you are cash poor I'd go for the layout that gives you the best ominpods from the getgo. I'm unsure how the shadowcats are as I've never ran em, but I see a lot of jumpjetting twin PPC builds, or LPL's, or some mix of lasers and SRMS's.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Only the CT matters, and since they're all the same for the Shadow Cat, pick whichever one you like, then buy additional omnipods to get different hardpoints.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Ardlen posted:

Only the CT matters, and since they're all the same for the Shadow Cat, pick whichever one you like, then buy additional omnipods to get different hardpoints.

This is the first time I've heard of Omnipods outside of MW4. You can BUY them now?! So by that logic, it doesn't matter at all which one I get because I can swap the hardpoints with Omnipods and do wtf I want?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

will try to send some GIRL invites today. friend Pattonesque in game if you want 'em

I friended for an invite. Shooty mechs yaay.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is the first time I've heard of Omnipods outside of MW4. You can BUY them now?! So by that logic, it doesn't matter at all which one I get because I can swap the hardpoints with Omnipods and do wtf I want?
Exactly. So I would suggest you pick up the ECM variant, and then whatever additional omnipods with hardpoints you like.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 13, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You should get the ECM. You should also get some more frames.

Anyway check out this omni-pod action:

Regular old SHC-PRIME

SHC-PRIME with SHC'-B's Left Torso

So, as long as you don't care about Eliting/Mastering the mech you can buy omni-pods for a single chassi and turn it into any other variant (except the center torso). This is the way of the omni-mech.

You should also keep an eye on the quirks. Pods have individual quirks that stack with each other. For example, SHC-B's arm have debuffs to LRM's. They're on This page

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Thanks to TeeMerk and Sebmojo for the invite, I'm now back in WoL! My muble is out of date though, updating it now.

EDIT: ok maybe I'm dumb, but I cannot figure out what's wrong with my mumble. I can hear mumble's text to speech messages, but it looks like I'm unable to hear anyone else. Unless, of course, everyone in the channel is just AFK anyway.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 13, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

EDIT: ok maybe I'm dumb, but I cannot figure out what's wrong with my mumble. I can hear mumble's text to speech messages, but it looks like I'm unable to hear anyone else. Unless, of course, everyone in the channel is just AFK anyway.

Check that your mumble is configured to use the right sound devices if you have more than one, otherwise it might just be that everyone is AFK.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

That Italian Guy posted:

Thanks to TeeMerk and Sebmojo for the invite, I'm now back in WoL! My muble is out of date though, updating it now.

I had the exact same problem. I updated Mumble to the latest version and now it works.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.
Just did over 950 dmg with my Cicada-2B, god I love all this fresh steamy meat (except when they shoot me in the back)

Heres my setup if anyone is curious.

It goes super fast (137 kph) and has a really good alpha for popping rear armor. Runs pretty cold too (5-7 alphas on most maps before getting to 90% heat)

Xii fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 13, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

The legs of the Shadowcat A offer +12 structure vs the +7 of all the other variants iirc. Mines a mix a of omnipods but I ran mine with ECM (always) and either 3 ER-L, 2LPL, or currently 2SPL and 3xSRM6 w/Artemis. You could swap the SPL for ERML and you'd be doubling the laser range for double the heat. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=296&l=cd71b26df215dd3b3d30ed9f9dd525dcec359634

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 13, 2015

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I had the exact same problem. I updated Mumble to the latest version and now it works.

Yeah I had that problem as well but there is also something not working with my headset. Managed to make it work, but it kept malfunctioning all night long.

EDIT: also, holy cow, I'm bad at this game right now... Managed to get 500dmg with a Cent as my best score, while I used to get that as an average :(

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 13, 2015

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I play an Ebon Jaguar that has dual ac 10s. What is a good amount of total damage I should aim for in pubbie matches?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kurzon posted:

I play an Ebon Jaguar that has dual ac 10s. What is a good amount of total damage I should aim for in pubbie matches?

Damage is a hard metric to judge things by in MWO due to how damage can be split among several parts. You can blow up a guys cockpit with alittle damage, or dump LRMs over mechs for tons of damage but never quite destroying the mech/component.

Seeing how many kills or components you destroy maybe better.

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Kurzon posted:

Around 400-700 is about average id say for an Ebon with dual ac 10s

Any lower than 400 and you arent doing very well. (For pub games, in team games or faction wars damage isnt really the way to judge if you are doing well or not)

Xii fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 13, 2015

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Drakes posted:

Damage is a hard metric to judge things by in MWO due to how damage can be split among several parts. You can blow up a guys cockpit with alittle damage, or dump LRMs over mechs for tons of damage but never quite destroying the mech/component.

Seeing how many kills or components you destroy maybe better.

I usually dont go for kills, components is what I go after to help my team. And I average around 700 dmg per game with my Cicada, depends on the playstyle I guess.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
the only time damage is only a bad metric is when most of the damage comes from streaks and lrms

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Or when a Locust is getting top goon. :smug:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

The legs of the Shadowcat A offer +12 structure vs the +7 of all the other variants iirc. Mines a mix a of omnipods but I ran mine with ECM (always) and either 3 ER-L, 2LPL, or currently 2SPL and 3xSRM6 w/Artemis. You could swap the SPL for ERML and you'd be doubling the laser range for double the heat. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=296&l=cd71b26df215dd3b3d30ed9f9dd525dcec359634

So it's possible to buy an ECM omnipod? I thought it'd just be for E, M, and B. Because if that's the case then A would be better for the tankiness.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

So it's possible to buy an ECM omnipod? I thought it'd just be for E, M, and B. Because if that's the case then A would be better for the tankiness.

Yes, it's 243,276 C-bills for any SHC Omnipod. So just buy the SHC-B left torso (which is the one that has ECM). The only thing that is actually "the mech" is just the center torso. Each leg, each side torso, and each arm are omnipods. Frankenstein together whatever you want.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 14, 2015

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xii posted:

Just did over 950 dmg with my Cicada-2B, god I love all this fresh steamy meat (except when they shoot me in the back)

Heres my setup if anyone is curious.

It goes super fast (137 kph) and has a really good alpha for popping rear armor. Runs pretty cold too (5-7 alphas on most maps before getting to 90% heat)

This is one of my favourite robots. 5 quirked mpl is a nasty alpha.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Some newbie build questions:

I'm running the Lasercrow-Prime build from the OP; can I get better DPS out of it by replacing some medium lasers with larger/pulse lasers without significantly comprising cooling? In general, I'm wondering if the recommended loadout is what it is because it's cheap or because larger lasers would perform worse.

I'm considering getting a SCR-D next and loading it with SRMs for brawling. Is there any real advantage to running Artemis on dumbfire C-SRM6s? Is the reduced spread noticeable if you're just treating the SRMs as shotguns? Non-streak SRMs don't lock on at all so the lockon bonuses would be wasted, right?

How many tons of ammo would you need for six C-SRM6s for your average ~7mn game?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Can somebody PM me the mumble address? Thank you.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Some newbie build questions:

I'm running the Lasercrow-Prime build from the OP; can I get better DPS out of it by replacing some medium lasers with larger/pulse lasers without significantly comprising cooling? In general, I'm wondering if the recommended loadout is what it is because it's cheap or because larger lasers would perform worse.

I'm considering getting a SCR-D next and loading it with SRMs for brawling. Is there any real advantage to running Artemis on dumbfire C-SRM6s? Is the reduced spread noticeable if you're just treating the SRMs as shotguns? Non-streak SRMs don't lock on at all so the lockon bonuses would be wasted, right?

How many tons of ammo would you need for six C-SRM6s for your average ~7mn game?

It's built like that to help a new person not overheat constantly.

If you think you can HANDLE THE HEAT you can try this out.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=183&l=9f5523549aefa7ce8553cda67411793608757908

But I, personally, would go meta and start using SRMs or SSRMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.
If I could get an invite into GIRL (IGN: Subaudible) I'd appreciate it. I want to stop around with big robits with everyone.

• Locked thread