Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Syves posted:

gently caress. Got my PG279Q, and got a couple of clusters of dead pixels in areas of the screen I use frequently. They stay black, but when so many things are just solid white now... thats super noticable.

lol... poo poo as i was writing this, a couple more just died right next to this text. Croaking right in front of my eyes.

If they're in the center at least you should be totally solid to get a replacement. Dead pixel policies can be lovely, but typically if there's one or more in the center of the screen you're covered, vs if they're around the edges you need something silly like 5+ to get a replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

LG says OLED monitors will be coming in 2016/2017.

That's cool, I guess.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

El Scotch posted:

That's cool, I guess.

That's cool and rad thank you for my good news for the day friend.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

El Scotch posted:

That's cool, I guess.

Given the response times oled can get, plus contrast ratios, etc. When oled's start coming out we will talk about ips the same way we talk about tn now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Something I DID just notice on my Predator x34. It has coil whine when the monitor is displaying a large amount of 'bright' pixels across it. It's extremely minor and I have to tilt my head just so and rotate my head around slowly to catch it, but it emanates from the lower center of the monitor. I'm sure I could probably down-clock the refresh rate or something but I wear headphones exclusively while on my computer so it's no big deal to me. Coil whine from a monitor is pretty laffo though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

KakerMix posted:

Something I DID just notice on my Predator x34. It has coil whine when the monitor is displaying a large amount of 'bright' pixels across it. It's extremely minor and I have to tilt my head just so and rotate my head around slowly to catch it, but it emanates from the lower center of the monitor. I'm sure I could probably down-clock the refresh rate or something but I wear headphones exclusively while on my computer so it's no big deal to me. Coil whine from a monitor is pretty laffo though.

It being a parabolic dish to direct the sound right at your head probably doesn't help either.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KakerMix posted:

On my 27" Korean IPS, there was a 60/120Hz buzzing noise while displaying light images that I tracked down to the EM shield covering the TCON board. It was vibrating against the board, so I padded the edge with electrical tape and the sound vanished after that.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Zorilla posted:

On my 27" Korean IPS, there was a 60/120Hz buzzing noise while displaying light images that I tracked down to the EM shield covering the TCON board. It was vibrating against the board, so I padded the edge with electrical tape and the sound vanished after that.

My Korean monitor does this. This might push me over the edge to crack open the case. I've been meaning to open the case up to de-bezel it. I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I thought the buzzing noise had something to do with the transformer. I usually leave the monitor off and use my new Dell monitor but if I could fix this buzzing noise...

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

El Scotch posted:

That's cool, I guess.

i remember 5 years ago when they were 2-3 years away, nice that we've made such progress

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Regrettably, that's not from LG, that's a line from DigiTimes:

"The report did not specify a time frame for the products but many market analysts believe 2016-2017 will see the first signs of OLED monitors."

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
We certainly might. A lot of the initial teething problems with OLEDs have been fixed (mostly the blue pixel burnout), and now it's more a question of perfecting the manufacturing process to bring costs down. You can already get OLED TV's for under $2k, so it's not unreasonable to think that in another year we might see them popping up in the $1500+ monitor market space.

How those will compare with another year of perfecting 144Hz IPS panels, though, is an open question.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

If they're in the center at least you should be totally solid to get a replacement. Dead pixel policies can be lovely, but typically if there's one or more in the center of the screen you're covered, vs if they're around the edges you need something silly like 5+ to get a replacement.

Yeah, already returned. Think I might wait a few more months before I try again tho. But I'm giving last years model another look. Yeah, its a TN panel... but still meets like 90% of what I want.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

So I have an ancient-rear end HP vp17 that came with the previous computer, and while I upgraded the compy itself last year, God bless this thing's cybersoul, it is still going strong despite eight years of abuse. Still, I want a relatively-budget monitor with a better resolution than 1280x1024, and this seems like that since it's around $200 for the 24".

Slightly off-topic but I don't see a dedicated speaker thread: speakers. The HP vp17 has speakers built-in so I haven't needed independent ones since it. Amazon says people get the "Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar" and it's like $20 bucks and that sounds like a steal, but I am suspicious of budget audio equipment by default. Is that model fine, or is there something else I should get that sounds not like garbled poo poo and doesn't cost a ton?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So I have an ancient-rear end HP vp17 that came with the previous computer, and while I upgraded the compy itself last year, God bless this thing's cybersoul, it is still going strong despite eight years of abuse. Still, I want a relatively-budget monitor with a better resolution than 1280x1024, and this seems like that since it's around $200 for the 24".

Slightly off-topic but I don't see a dedicated speaker thread: speakers. The HP vp17 has speakers built-in so I haven't needed independent ones since it. Amazon says people get the "Dell AC511 USB Wired SoundBar" and it's like $20 bucks and that sounds like a steal, but I am suspicious of budget audio equipment by default. Is that model fine, or is there something else I should get that sounds not like garbled poo poo and doesn't cost a ton?

People go for powered monitors or a set of Dayton Audio b652's bookshelf speakers and a small class t amp.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Klyith posted:

i remember 5 years ago when they were 2-3 years away, nice that we've made such progress

You do know they have OLED TVs now right? And really not THAT expensive... Someone could pretty easily buy one for a computer monitor

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Captain Yossarian posted:

You do know they have OLED TVs now right? And really not THAT expensive... Someone could pretty easily buy one for a computer monitor

While they have come down A LOT in the last year, they are still 2x to 3x more than a LCD of the same size.

It will be a while be for you see PC monitors at the same price.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
And 144Hz monitors are 2x the price of 60Hz monitors, curved ones are 1.5x, etc etc. 2-3x ain't terrible; people will pay for features if they're good enough.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lowen SoDium posted:

While they have come down A LOT in the last year, they are still 2x to 3x more than a LCD of the same size.
And they're still huge 55" screens, not really practical as a computer monitor for most people.

I mean yes if I was considering an expensive screen like the x34 that would put me out $1000, the OLED future might have me asking questions. A $1k screen is a big outlay and if OLED monitors come into that space in the near future it'll be totally outclassed. But I think it's gonna be more than 2 years anyways. We'll probably see high quality OLED screens moving up from smartphones to tablets and laptops before they get to desktops. Desktops just aren't as sexy a market.

Also as soon as you put stuff in the desktop form factor you open up much bigger expected lifetime questions than with phone/tablet or home TV use. If your product is sold to business for office work, you have people using them 8 hours a day 5 days a week. That still isn't a solved problem.

e:

DrDork posted:

And 144Hz monitors are 2x the price of 60Hz monitors, curved ones are 1.5x, etc etc. 2-3x ain't terrible; people will pay for features if they're good enough.
A few people will pay that. If your market is smaller than the product development costs, 2-3x isn't good enough.

144hz IPS and curved ultrawide screens are things that we're just getting now and LCD screens have been solidly dominant for well over 5 years.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 11, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Klyith posted:

If your product is sold to business for office work, you have people using them 8 hours a day 5 days a week. That still isn't a solved problem.

While I don't disagree with the fact that OLED lifetimes are still on the short side, no one is going to be buying a $1000+ monitor for general office work. Maybe graphics designers and whatnot, but they're more likely to be willing to accept that they'll need to replace it in a few years anyhow.

I mean, that's like complaining that GSync monitors are too expensive for office work: while technically true, that's not at all the market segment that would be purchasing them in the first place.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Plus people with more dollars than cents will have resigned themselves to upgrading frequently anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would buy an OLED display every 3 years if it was otherwise equivalent to a Predator. No question.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I would buy an OLED display every 3 years if it was otherwise equivalent to a Predator. No question.

Yeah, I'd very seriously consider it. Depends on the price though, but I'm already resigned to the fact that you don't buy technology, you rent it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I move one of the first things I do is figure out where e-waste goes. Nothing is forever.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Klyith posted:

A few people will pay that. If your market is smaller than the product development costs, 2-3x isn't good enough.

144hz IPS and curved ultrawide screens are things that we're just getting now and LCD screens have been solidly dominant for well over 5 years.
I think you underestimate the number of people who would willingly pay $1000+ for OLED monitors. Grandma sure as poo poo ain't paying that, but look in this very thread for dozens of people falling over themselves to purchase expensive monitors because they do 100Hz instead of 60Hz. Now consider all the artsy folk who have a legitimate business use (unlike high-Hz monitors), then toss in your movie buffs and basically everyone else who wants those perfect blacks and....

Yeah, what I'm saying is if someone managed to launch a 27-34" 3440/2560x1440p OLED screen for <$2000, it would get bought. If it were <$1500 it would get bought a lot. If it also tossed in curves, >60Hz, and *Sync, it would get bought a ton, even if it only lasted 3-4 years in home use. There are plenty of people who are willing to shell out for a really nice monitor.

I mean, poo poo, people up until very recently were used to paying >$1000 for 27"+ Dell IPS screens whose entire claim to fame was "it's actually assembled properly." Not everyone will pay, but enough will.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The thread before this one $1200 was the price for a nice 30" 2560 x 1600 from Dell. You really had to pay to play and I'm willing to pay that for oled.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

You really do get a whole lot more monitor for your dollar these days. I remember when the cheapest 4K screens were about three grand, and getting a good deal on a bog standard 1440p60 screen meant paying $700. Ultrawides have gone from weird niche expensive screens to being an almost mainstream choice (29" ultrawides for $300 anyone?).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

You really do get a whole lot more monitor for your dollar these days. I remember when the cheapest 4K screens were about three grand, and getting a good deal on a bog standard 1440p60 screen meant paying $700. Ultrawides have gone from weird niche expensive screens to being an almost mainstream choice (29" ultrawides for $300 anyone?).

Yeah, there used to be a big gap between 1080ps and basically anything else, and IPS was really hard to find. Bringing thing into line like they are now opened a lot of room for people who otherwise would consider it too much. Before the Korean screens showed up, I might have been able to get my two 27"s for the same price as I paid for them and a pair of 34"s. I think once OLED becomes the more expensive option when criss-shopping rather than two segments away we'll have people buying them. Just look at what it costs to stay in flagship GPUs let alone a pair of them. Those depreciate crazy fast but people still do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
On one hand, OLED in 2 years sounds great. On the other hand, high resolution VR might hit by 2017 :eng99:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, there used to be a big gap between 1080ps and basically anything else, and IPS was really hard to find. Bringing thing into line like they are now opened a lot of room for people who otherwise would consider it too much. Before the Korean screens showed up, I might have been able to get my two 27"s for the same price as I paid for them and a pair of 34"s. I think once OLED becomes the more expensive option when criss-shopping rather than two segments away we'll have people buying them. Just look at what it costs to stay in flagship GPUs let alone a pair of them. Those depreciate crazy fast but people still do it.

Yeah when I bought my Dell 27" it was around $650 and the korean monitors were just starting to become a thing. 18 months later I'm getting a 32" monitor with same resolution for $400. I'm glad monitors have made the progress they have though, before then they were stuck in a rut for a long time it seemed. That's why in 2008 buying an hd tv for a monitor made sense because getting 1920 x 1080 with more than one hdmi input on a screen with an ips panel in a monitor was gonna cost around $400 around that time. So why not get a bigger screen, more inputs, speakers, and a remote for $200 more? (Tv was $600 at the time) Anything to get away from my 19" CRT at the time.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I just hope that 1440p IPS free sync / g sync 100+hz drops in price next year to $300-400 and they work out the QA issues.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

B-Mac posted:

I just hope that 1440p IPS free sync / g sync 100+hz drops in price next year to $300-400 and they work out the QA issues.

Half of that will happen. Hopefully it's the QA issues. That should be one of the last things one should have to worry about when dropping $800 on a monitor.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ThatOneGuy posted:

Half of that will happen. Hopefully it's the QA issues. That should be one of the last things one should have to worry about when dropping $800 on a monitor.

True. I'd be more willing to pay that much if I knew there was a much smaller chance of QA issues and if I did have a problem it would be thane care of.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Truga posted:

On one hand, OLED in 2 years sounds great. On the other hand, high resolution VR might hit by 2017 :eng99:

:science: Don't worry, you'll get 4k OLED 144Hz HDR per eye VR goggles! Enjoy being blinded in VR!.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
Not sure if this is the best place but what type of hardware/software would be best to project a laptop's screen onto 3 different TVs? I have a VGA to Cat5 splitter with audio...but I'm a bit at a loss on what to do with just that.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

The TVs are in different spots and want them to just project the same image that the laptop is. I have Ethernet run near all the TVs to one localized spot and do I need an Ethernet to VGA converter? To put into the TVs?

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'd get a newer laptop with HDMI or displayport. I'd use HDMI splitters and then HD base T to traverse the cat 5 runs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-2-way-hdmi-splitter-silver/1224493.p?id=1218238810316&skuId=1224493 (you need a 3 way version)

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Advanced-HDBaseT-Extender/dp/B00U1NV04G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449893683&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+base+t

Edit: that same amazon page actually has a 4-way splitter and extender in one box.

KS fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 12, 2015

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
HDMI over cat5/6 works great in my experience. Looks like you might not even need a HDMI splitter if you have a switch.

really big picture-> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/716e14KWDzL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Advanced-HDBaseT-Extender/dp/B00U1NV04G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449893683&sr=8-1&keywords=hd+base+t

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Hey, my crossover managed to overclock to 96hz properly back when I used Windows 7, but now that I've upgraded to 10 it doesn't seem to work anymore. Configuring the toastyx thing to 96hz doesn't give me the option to change it to that in either nvidia's control panel or the regular display panel.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

With NVIDIA do you need the ToastyX thing? I just used the custom resolution thing in the NVIDIA control panel.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Subjunctive posted:

With NVIDIA do you need the ToastyX thing? I just used the custom resolution thing in the NVIDIA control panel.

BurritoJustice posted:

Don't use any third party utilities, just set your refresh rate in the custom resolutions menu in the Nvidia control panel.

I tried doing just that too, but all it says is that the resolution is not supported with my monitor.

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Hey, my crossover managed to overclock to 96hz properly back when I used Windows 7, but now that I've upgraded to 10 it doesn't seem to work anymore. Configuring the toastyx thing to 96hz doesn't give me the option to change it to that in either nvidia's control panel or the regular display panel.

Don't use any third party utilities, just set your refresh rate in the custom resolutions menu in the Nvidia control panel.