Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Me am like show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Oh god it's true. Reality tv IS dumbing us down.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

The Gunslinger posted:

Too much screen time vs other teams, Justin is absolutely obnoxious, they're bragging shitheads when winning and mopey crybabies when losing, Justin literally crying over any hardship, etc etc etc.

It really is all Justin. Diana seems fine and she sort of fills the Brandon role of "you seem like a decent person stuck with a lunatic but you are doing this to yourself so I don't have much sympathy either".

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Drunk posting in a foreign language is not a good idea :D

still hate the Green team though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Overdrift posted:

I really hate when Justin comes in to pretty much any challenge and screams "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!". During the India legs he did this in pretty much every scene he was in, and it just drives me up the wall.

I like it when racers are upbeat and try to engage the locals. It really beats the "ughhh get all the dirty brown people away from me" vibe lots of racers have given off in the past. Meanwhile Justin is high fiving everyone in sight and Diana is giving out temporary tattoos. I like that.

Overdrift posted:

I'm rooting for team Paparazzi to win

Ha, ok that explains a lot

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Factor Mystic posted:

I like it when racers are upbeat and try to engage the locals. It really beats the "ughhh get all the dirty brown people away from me" vibe lots of racers have given off in the past. Meanwhile Justin is high fiving everyone in sight and Diana is giving out temporary tattoos. I like that.

I bet the producers love him, he's really good at narrating everything little thing he's doing and why it's difficult or fun. You can tell a few of the other teams are answering a prompt or being fed a line, but Justin's a sound bite machine. Either he's just like that naturally or he's seen the show enough to know that giving the editors lots to work with gets you the most screen time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Factor Mystic posted:

Ha, ok that explains a lot

Don't forget the middle-aged super dorks Diana handed out temporary tattoos to as well.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

I legitimately forgot the paparazzi were a couple and not just coworkers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I legitimately forgot the paparazzi were a couple and not just coworkers.

They never really emphasized it much until that one episode where suddenly everyone is talking abut possible marriage plans.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I'd feel bad for green team except they did it to themselves, plus they got 7 first place prizes and they are 100% guaranteed to be returning in the future.

3peat
May 6, 2010

lol at the whole thing being decided by taxis yet again, and also lol at "what is the flag of Africa" and "Macau is a country"

Tellah
Aug 8, 2014

3peat posted:

lol at the whole thing being decided by taxis yet again, and also lol at "what is the flag of Africa" and "Macau is a country"

Keeping your taxi in the final leg is pretty basic stuff at this point.

Taxis aside, this was a great final leg. Multiple memory tasks mixed with endurance and open-water navigation created a lot of opportunities to move around. If this had been a mid-season leg, the spread would have been several hours. The fact that Team Green and the Reporters were ostensibly minutes apart only reinforces how strong they both were.

If I were unbiased I'd probably say that Team Green got screwed and that there should be dedicated chauffeurs on the final leg. But watching Justin haggle his taxi fare and then stiff the driver made me think that this is how it should be.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I think that was one of the best finales in years

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Tellah posted:

If I were unbiased I'd probably say that Team Green got screwed and that there should be dedicated chauffeurs on the final leg. But watching Justin haggle his taxi fare and then stiff the driver made me think that this is how it should be.

Also if the paparazzi knew anything about flags, you could make the case that they got screwed and could have won, since Justin drove off their taxi driver with his hassling.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

That taxi driver was a weirdo

Samarium
Dec 15, 2005

The beauty of quitting is, now that I've quit, I can have one, 'cause I've quit.
If the paparazzi successfully stole the reporters taxi, the green team probably wins.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Riptor posted:

I think that was one of the best finales in years

I agree! They really balanced the tasks well. I guess they learned something from that horrible Vegas finale after all.

I don't know if they publicize what 2nd place earns but you can't help but wonder what 8 Travelocity trips plus the 2nd place prize is.

I'm irritated at next season's hook, but maybe I'm a grumpy Old. I guess it will pull in a certain amount of viewers if they all have large instagram followings.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

The good thing about next season is that the route is gonna be incredible

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Riptor posted:

The good thing about next season is that the route is gonna be incredible

You know the route? I only know the destination they live streamed monumento de la revolucion, mexico d.f.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Realityfanforum is a den of some of the absolute most insane :spergin: maniacs I've ever come across (seriously, the forum is horrendous) but they, without fail, figure out at least 90% of the route every season.

For anyone who wants to know it goes US (weirdly, each from their own hometown)->Mexico->Colombia(!)->Switzerland->France->Armenia(!)->Georgia(!)->UAE->Indonesia->China->US

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hepscat posted:

I'm irritated at next season's hook, but maybe I'm a grumpy Old. I guess it will pull in a certain amount of viewers if they all have large instagram followings.

I'm not old and I'm irritated too. Looks like too many "zany" YouTube personalities. My :rolleyes: per episode will be enormous.

I'm glad the reporters won, and I laughed so hard when Phil called out the paparazzi as being completely terrible to each other.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

hepscat posted:

I don't know if they publicize what 2nd place earns but you can't help but wonder what 8 Travelocity trips plus the 2nd place prize is.

There was an old interview I came across a while back from around season 7 or so, which was when this show was the most popular. Apparently 2nd place only gets $25k. But then again one of the prizes Justin & Diana won was something like $30k, so who knows if that's still true.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Are "zany YouTube personalities" really any different than "zany newscasters, super fans, cheerleaders, etc"

It's just a profession

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Except they play to the cameras as the "profession". I mean, what else do they do, I don't really care, but doesn't it boil down to that? I'm not going to dig one up to watch. /lazy

I would bet the newscasters are 100% straight, no humor on camera. They weren't at all zany as Racers.

Riptor posted:

Realityfanforum is a den of some of the absolute most insane :spergin: maniacs I've ever come across (seriously, the forum is horrendous) but they, without fail, figure out at least 90% of the route every season.

For anyone who wants to know it goes US (weirdly, each from their own hometown)->Mexico->Colombia(!)->Switzerland->France->Armenia(!)->Georgia(!)->UAE->Indonesia->China->US

:D Thanks for that. Fan forums certainly have their uses! Now we have to wait until February.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
For such students of the race you would have thought Justin and Diana would know not to let their cab leave in a somewhat remote area (or be unnecessary rear end in a top hat to cabbies).

Couldn't have hoped for a better outcome, really.

Synrax
Nov 19, 2005
Indeed
Million dollar cab ride. Ooops

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

WampaLord posted:

I'm not old and I'm irritated too. Looks like too many "zany" YouTube personalities. My :rolleyes: per episode will be enormous.

I'm glad the reporters won, and I laughed so hard when Phil called out the paparazzi as being completely terrible to each other.

Phil calling out the paparazzi as being horrible partners was hilarious. I'm glad they didn't win.

Justin sending the cab away was one of those amateur mistakes. I'd still prefer a chauffeured final leg, but there's that hasn't happened yet and I don't see it happening any time soon. The tasks for this leg were some of the best final leg tasks in a while. Combining memory and physical tasks is a great way of doing it.

Hopefully next season won't have too many cringeworthy or eye rolling moments. Might be worth tracking down a Canadian race instead if that's the case.

flynt
Dec 30, 2006
Triggerhappy and gunshy

3peat posted:

Every time they mentioned the "the flag of Africa" was the best.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

WampaLord posted:

That's why I like Burnie and Ashley - in a sea of "zany" personalities on youtube, they seem the most legit. But yeah, I'm worried at all the other teams. Who was that young guy/girl team from a few years ago who were youtube celebrities? They were awful and so goddamn fake. :(

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

3peat posted:

lol at "what is the flag of Africa" and "Macau is a country"

Well Macau and Hong Kong were sort of independent territories until a few years ago, so if you didn't realize there was an extra flag it's not that dumb of a mistake. But the other thing had me screaming at the TV. How can you be that dumb? Like, I know there's a lot of people out there that aren't entirely clear on whether Africa is a country or not, but these teams were there, they literally crossed a national border while within Africa.

Samarium posted:

If the paparazzi successfully stole the reporters taxi, the green team probably wins.

Almost certainly, yeah. Man, can you imagine the shitstorm that would have erupted on the internet if that had happened?

Tortolia posted:

For such students of the race you would have thought Justin and Diana would know not to let their cab leave in a somewhat remote area (or be unnecessary rear end in a top hat to cabbies).

Couldn't have hoped for a better outcome, really.

For such a student of the race Justin should have known better than to brag about how well he knows the final city of the race.

hepscat posted:

I agree! They really balanced the tasks well. I guess they learned something from that horrible Vegas finale after all.

Thank God. They didn't really need three separate memory tasks (the flags were the only ones that mattered), but they managed a good blend of different challenges (memory, physical strength, attention to detail) and kept the "spectacle" quarantined to a single task.

jivjov posted:

Are "zany YouTube personalities" really any different than "zany newscasters, super fans, cheerleaders, etc"

It's just a profession

I wouldn't mind one team of YouTubers (I think we've seen that a few times before) but I don't want to see an entire season of nothing but. You know the show is going to do all sorts of stupid stuff to play up the gimmick.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

jivjov posted:

It's just a profession

The stuff that is funny to the people that you can make money off of on YouTube is godawful

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Justin was an rear end in a top hat to cabbies several times throughout the season. Glad that was his downfall.

"It's not rude if he doesn't understand I'm insulting him!"

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Agreed. Trying to be a big shot by haggling with the cabbie on the final leg was absurd. At the end when Diana says "its really tough when you can pinpoint the one thing you did wrong" which was great because he spent so much time blaming her for various things throughout the race. Him crying at the end was so funny, as if 20k in cash and 7 paid vacations was a rough go. To be fair though I am getting tired of The Amazing Taxi Race. The reporters did a great job throughout the race of playing teams off each other and deserved the win.

Next season looks godawful in terms of the cast pool but hopefully the challenges are better. The finale had interesting stuff for a change and just reinforced what a weak season it was for challenges and transportation.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
For their sake, I hope they exchange at least two or three of those vacations for cash. They're going to be screwed on taxes.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The reporters are engaged now

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
:3:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
They seemed to mesh really well so that isn't surprising. Good for them.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Did anyone else watch the premiere for the new season? It was just as awful as you'd imagine a cast of internet celebrities to be.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It was almost unwatchable. The cast overall is already unlikeable and somehow getting worse at racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We DVR'd it to watch later, sounds like it'll be great!

• Locked thread