Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

SRM posted:

I hang out with gaming nerds and sci-fi nerds all the time and I don't think I know anyone who has seen more than one season of any of those shows. I think my dad watched some of them for a while but I haven't the faintest who keeps those shows on the air.
It's got one of those well-established, loyal internet fanbases that date back to the early seasons, when it was at least pursuing a fresh and interesting idea. A fanbase like that can sustain a mediocre TV show well past its expiration date because there's hundreds of thousands of people who will watch every week if only to be able to discuss it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, first of all, all the shows are cancelled. Second of all, the first series is "pretty good" i.e. on the level of Star Trek. I was a lifelong trekkie and finally gave SG-1 a shot a few years back. Couldn't believe how wrong I was about it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GimpChimp posted:

Pretty sure bloggers can self-submit and there doesn't seem to be a threshold for notability. I recommend hitting the Top Critics button, although that still includes NYP or whoever.
They have to be publishing at an approved publication, which requires 500,000 unique monthly visitors. I don't know how the tiny blogs do it.

Metacritic's score may be a better measure of reviews from notable critics. They select only from the big names and weigh them in some undisclosed manner. I'd prefer more transparency about how they do it but at least they're not drawing from nobodies.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's no Stargate show currently running? I have a friend who talks incessantly about them as though there's new episodes still being put out. Strange.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

There's no Stargate show currently running? I have a friend who talks incessantly about them as though there's new episodes still being put out. Strange.

SG:Universe was cancelled 5 years ago. But there's 17 seasons between the 3 shows, so anyone who wants to make their way through all of it is going to be doing so for awhile.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I liked the Groundhog Day episode where they used the Stargate to golf.
More shows need Groundhog Day episodes.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

wyoming posted:

I liked the Groundhog Day episode where they used the Stargate to golf.
More shows need Groundhog Day episodes.

That is probably the greatest episode of stargate, although it wont be as funny if you don't know the characters as well.

Buffy's groundhog day episode is pretty too if I remember correctly.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Groundhog Day episode in The X-Files ('Monday') is also great. The lesson is that every show should do a time loop episode.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

The Groundhog Day episode in The X-Files ('Monday') is also great. The lesson is that every show should do a time loop episode.

yeah. Also OH poo poo NEW X-FILES SOON!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New X-Files, new Independence Day, new MST3k...it's the 90s all over again!

It's only a matter of time before we get new Hard Copy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You forgot new Star Wars. and there was new Beavis and Butthead. This really is the 90s all over again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snak posted:

You forgot new Star Wars. and there was new Beavis and Butthead. This really is the 90s all over again.
Oh yeah, and that Seinfeld reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm and Full House is coming back.

Also Surge came back.

The 90s are forever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Crow.. the message is really weird and unpleasant if you stop to think about it

I might be getting the movie and the comic conflated, but isn't the message of The Crow that revenge is ultimately pretty empty and doesn't actually help grief?

e: also, Dr. Phil is the new Hard Copy in all but name.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Needs more Tiger handheld games, bib overalls, a new Spice Girls album and neon sunglasses.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Why does CineD no longer do a movie of the month?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think no one has offered to do it so it hasn't been done.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Crystal Pepsi just came back too!

I'm entirely unconvinced that the 90s ended.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh yeah, and that Seinfeld reunion on Curb Your Enthusiasm and Full House is coming back.

Also Surge came back.

The 90s are forever.

It's like people in the information age are like "why CAN'T we just bring back all the things we used to love?"

It's like they don't even know they're using a loving monkey's paw.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think no one has offered to do it so it hasn't been done.

Goddammit that sounds like a lot of fun and is way more reasonable for folks than the BOTM in the Book Barn.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Needs more Tiger handheld games, bib overalls, a new Spice Girls album and neon sunglasses.

You could make a successful kickstarter campaign for any one of those things. Market forces are what's determining what get's "brought back".

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I might be getting the movie and the comic conflated, but isn't the message of The Crow that revenge is ultimately pretty empty and doesn't actually help grief?

I've never read the comic, but the movie pretty consistently portrays Eric's revenge as righteous and heroic and then at the very end after all the bad guys are dead he gets re-united with Shelley in the afterlife. He's also held up as a moral guide to Sarah and others even while he's in the middle of pursuing his vendetta. I mean, maybe you could make an argument for it on the grounds that the whole story is told from Sarah's point of view and she's kinda hosed up herself? But I think the natural reading of the film is "revenge is awesome, but don't do drugs, kids!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Snak posted:

You could make a successful kickstarter campaign for any one of those things. Market forces are what's determining what get's "brought back".

True, but more often than not, so much time and money and effort is spent on reviving these things, only for the target audience to realize "Hey, waitaminute. Now that I think about it, this stuff was pretty terrible to begin with."

Obviously, there are a lot crazy successes on Kickstarter/GoFundMe, but with many products, nostalgia only goes so far.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

morestuff posted:

A lot of crossover potential, in my opinion

Independence Day actually started off as a Stargate sequel.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Goddammit that sounds like a lot of fun and is way more reasonable for folks than the BOTM in the Book Barn.

Hey man, what's stopping u...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

e: also, Dr. Phil is the new Hard Copy in all but name.

The message of The Crow is that Brandon Lee was taken too soon from this world.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gonz posted:

Spice Girls might reunite for a tour with the Backstreet Boys.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Independence Day is a bad film made by bad men and enjoyed by bad men.

axleblaze posted:

ID4 is a terrible terrible movie and manages to be so on an impressive amount of levels. I can't imagine a sequel being anything but even worse. Like Skyline but stripped of all the things that make Skyline arguably interesting.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Independence Day is basically just one of those old school Towering Inferno style disaster movies, but with aliens, and not as good as that implies.

I feel like I'm being a jerkass making a "Gotcha!" post, but these kind of reactions are emblematic of why non-CineD folks think everyone is SMG here. If its not Independence Day, it's Transformers, or the Ninja Turtles movie a few years ago, or whatever.

vvv I only brought it up because it was topical. :colbert:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 14, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why don't you cry about it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cry Hard: With a Vengeance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

die hard 3 was pretty cool.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
All I know is I like The Crow because of the main villain doing a fun southern sleezeball accent that makes no sense with his character. Dollar Bill is his name too and Bai Ling is his wife. 5 star character. Fire it up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I feel like I'm being a jerkass making a "Gotcha!" post, but these kind of reactions are emblematic of why non-CineD folks think everyone is SMG here. If its not Independence Day, it's Transformers, or the Ninja Turtles movie a few years ago, or whatever.

I don't see how any of these read as being similar to a SMG post.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

MisterBibs posted:

:ssh: These opinions are actually fairly widespread outside of CineD, too.

In fact, I would say the majority of people outside of CineD think ID4 is pretty dumb.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Glamorama26 posted:

All I know is I like The Crow because of the main villain doing a fun southern sleezeball accent that makes no sense with his character. Dollar Bill is his name too and Bai Ling is his wife. 5 star character. Fire it up.

She's his sister. Isn't it obvious? :colbert:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

Hey man, what's stopping u...

Gah, you're right.

It should be a group brainstorming effort in the OP tho to get this thing off the ground. I need to go read thru the old thread and see how it was done.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She's his sister. Isn't it obvious? :colbert:

Hahahaha holy poo poo, you're right, I forgot that minor detail. Also I think his name was Top Dollar actually. I need to rewatch the Crow apparently.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Glamorama26 posted:

the Crow indeed rules and these are a few of the big reasons why. also a dope Jon Polito sleazebag role.

edit: oh man and i just remembered Ernie Hudson is the cop

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

I have it on bluray because it was perpetually in the Best Buy $6.99 bin. I have my plans for the evening.

Poor Tin Tin, Funboy and...T-Bird? There was a Skank too I think. Anyways, they get the gently caress killed out of them.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Glamorama26 posted:

I have it on bluray because it was perpetually in the Best Buy $6.99 bin. I have my plans for the evening.

Poor Tin Tin, Funboy and...T-Bird? There was a Skank too I think. Anyways, they get the gently caress killed out of them.

By all means, let's have an introspective moment of silence for poor old Tin Tin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

*Sadly and quietly chants "Fire it up" in the pouring rain*

• Locked thread