Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I ordered a roll of T-Glase PETT printer filament, It's supposed to be pretty dang strong. We'll see if "strong" means 40+kmph into pavement.
http://filaments.ca/products/t-glase-pett-filament-black-glass-1-75mm?variant=808479565

Also: Daaaaang I really really LOVE the power combo of a 1306 3100kv motor and a cutdown DAL 5040>4040 prop. I'm using little RTF HUGESC 12AMP ESC's with BLHeli, and Tattu 45c batteries, but even with 30c batteries there seems to be unlimited thrust. I usually use Gemfan 4045 props but these cutdown DAL's make it feel like it's in a different class. I've got another quad using 1806 2300kv motors running the fullsize DAL 5040 props, 12a 'racing' ESC's, and tattu 45c batteries, and it feels super sluggish in comparison. Maybe I need 4s batteries to make the larger one scream?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I used a t-glase for dreamcatcher frames, they worked pretty well. Now I'm trying an (unreleased) pla filament that is supposed to offer similar performance (We were bending the frames completely in half before they snapped, and they brok like injection molded plastic instead of 3d prints)

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
ZMR 250 is finally done with modern components. It flies so much better than my old 230. Going from 3S with 2204's and 5x4 props to 4S on 2206's with 6x4.5 makes such a huge difference, as does Blheli vs 400hz SimonK. Pulling out of loops is so much easier with all that extra power.

The only thing sucks now is trying to mount a go pro on the drat thing. It's a real shame that the camera with the best image quality is also the one that is the most awkwardly shaped and least aerodynamic. I really wish the Session were different...if it had the same quality as a Hero with no wifi, screen, or other bullshit at a cheaper price it would be perfect, but as is, you might as well use a Hero 3 for the same price and better quality or a Möbius for much cheaper and the same quality.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I used a t-glase for dreamcatcher frames, they worked pretty well. Now I'm trying an (unreleased) pla filament that is supposed to offer similar performance (We were bending the frames completely in half before they snapped, and they brok like injection molded plastic instead of 3d prints)

I just printed my first set of T-Glase arms last night. T-Glase didn't like my hairspray glue method I use for PLA, so I had to run to the dollar store to buy glue sticks. Works ok, but unlike the hairspray you need to re-apply the glue for every single print.

Have any of you messed with this:

http://www.getfpv.com/lumenier-lux-flight-controller.html

A new Flight controller from Luminier. Apparently doesn't even support Baseflight, you need Raceflight or Betaflight, which I haven't even heard of. I wonder if it works with Cleanflight? Looks SUPER minimal, somehow even more than a flip32 board.

EDIT: Oh yeah did the Baseflight guy freak out about the new Cleanflight design? I love that drama

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 3, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

EDIT: Oh yeah did the Baseflight guy freak out about the new Cleanflight design? I love that drama

New cleanflight design? Are you talking about the Seriously Pro Racing board? (with JST headers on it?)

The last drama spat re: cleanflight that I heard about was how RMRC took Dominic's (cleanflight) "seriously pro" board concept and engineered a better PCB and named theirs the RMRC "Seriously Dodo"... to which Dominic threw a tantrum.

I don't recall Timecop getting pissy about anything lately besides blatant copy-clones of his own designs like Armattan's "mullet" copy of the naze32 design

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

New cleanflight design? Are you talking about the Seriously Pro Racing board? (with JST headers on it?)

The last drama spat re: cleanflight that I heard about was how RMRC took Dominic's (cleanflight) "seriously pro" board concept and engineered a better PCB and named theirs the RMRC "Seriously Dodo"... to which Dominic threw a tantrum.

I don't recall Timecop getting pissy about anything lately besides blatant copy-clones of his own designs like Armattan's "mullet" copy of the naze32 design

Timecop threw a major-league hissy-fit over Cleanflight, to the extent that he put notes in his licensing that Dominic could not use it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrazyLittle posted:

I just meant about the new software GUI

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Timecop threw a major-league hissy-fit over Cleanflight, to the extent that he put notes in his licensing that Dominic could not use it.

Yes, because Dominic copied code without attribution, which is a violation of GPL and generally lovely thing to do. The original UI for the "cleanflight configurator" was a search/replace clone of cTn's configurator... with all attribution stripped out. Simply put, Dominic doesn't "write" anything. He just copies bits and pieces from other projects and then takes credit.

I mean if we really want to retread history, naze32 only got started because Timecop got into a GPL fight with the hardware makers of the "Funfly" boards which were a messy closed-source ripoff of multiwii copter code. Timecop took their board, cleaned up the MWC ported code as baseflight, and then redesigned the PCB to be 36x36mm. Half the reason why there's discreet CP2102 USB serial chip on there was to maintain backwards compatibility with the original funfly boards.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I just meant about the new software GUI

Not that I've read. I'm using cleanflight for my rcexplorer tricopter(s) that have the integrated naze-clone, and Timecop was actually impressed by the hardware when I showed him in IRC. I think he's pretty much washed his hands of anything involving cleanflight or naze clones. The problem was that people cloned/copied his work and then expected Timecop to give tech support.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 4, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CrazyLittle posted:

Yes, because Dominic copied code without attribution, which is a violation of GPL and generally lovely thing to do. The original UI for the "cleanflight configurator" was a search/replace clone of cTn's configurator... with all attribution stripped out. Simply put, Dominic doesn't "write" anything. He just copies bits and pieces from other projects and then takes credit.

That is most definitely not the way I remember it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Weird thing of the day:

2204 2300kv motors with built in ESC's:

http://www.2dogrc.com/ztw-black-widow-2204-2300-kv-motor-with-built-in-esc.html

A little heavy at 35g, but pretty interesting. 4 of these motors, an FC and a battery and you've got a quad in the air.

Ooh, and a Naze FC with built in 400mw 5.8ghz transmitter, 16MB dataflash:

http://singularity.impulserc.com/

ohh, it's just a separate PCB stuck together, not actual integration:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 4, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Weird thing of the day:

2204 2300kv motors with built in ESC's:

http://www.2dogrc.com/ztw-black-widow-2204-2300-kv-motor-with-built-in-esc.html

A little heavy at 35g, but pretty interesting. 4 of these motors, an FC and a battery and you've got a quad in the air.

Ooh, and a Naze FC with built in 400mw 5.8ghz transmitter, 16MB dataflash:

http://singularity.impulserc.com/

ohh, it's just a separate PCB stuck together, not actual integration:

The motor/esc combo is interesting but I see a few problems with it:

1. Increased mass near the outside of the quad is not good for stability
2. We ran a similar all in one product in some foam planes for a while. They didn't last long. Having the esc also take a lot of hits was not good for its longevity.
3. When you finally do kill either a motor or esc, you have to replace everything, so you're spending twice as much money as if you had only to replace one bad component.

The impulse looks cool but I don't see that it has an osd...if that's the case it sounds like a big missed opportunity. I'll bet it makes everything much cleaner but an all in one with osd, fc, and vtx would be awesome

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 4, 2015

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Edit=/=quote

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

That is most definitely not the way I remember it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/comments/2qabqh/baseflight_vs_cleanflight_facts_proofs_drama/

https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight-configurator/issues/25

*edit* hell,

https://github.com/cleanflight/cleanflight-configurator/blob/5cff317208ca5a344bca5f028a549682ceebe26c/resources/models/tricopter.json
code:
		"license"       : "Copyright jef79m 2014.  All rights reserved.  Usage granted exclusively to Baseflight Configurator",

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 5, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

edit: nevermind.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Reminds me of once upon a time in a past life we hosted Theo de Raadt's site for openBSD as well as his personal site.

At the time his personal site was this giant text wall of some spat that happened about or in BSD development and his site was all the evidence proving he was right all along it was :reject: as gently caress

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Three dollar t-motors on 3drs site *toots those long horns*

https://store.3drobotics.com/t/clearance

edit: also some cheap batteries. all the fancy servos are sold out though. $2 3.3v ftdi cables tho!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
lmao @ the multistar battery, but holy poo poo I can't help thinking that the motors are worth it even with the funky t-style prop mounts.

*edit* oic, it comes with the prop mount adapter too.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 6, 2015

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
Ergh, I feel like I should stock up on pixhawk cables/spares, but the shipping cost is atrocious!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Cunning Plan posted:

Ergh, I feel like I should stock up on pixhawk cables/spares, but the shipping cost is atrocious!

$11 for twenty motors doesn't seem so bad to me. :ninja:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cunning Plan posted:

I just make my own since I need longer ones anyway. you can get the wires precrimped from digikey even.

Also someone said they have several thousand more of both of the listed motors still, so keep an eye from a further drop in price. I'm going to make that rcexplorer tricopter I guess.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
Ah I should've said I'm in the UK, it's about $50 to get anything shipped here seemingly; good call on digikey, I'll bear that in mind next time I need some. Having said that, those motors are tempting even with the shipping cost...

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about the df13 headers is that you can install the wire the wrong way, which makes it impossible to remove and worthless as a cable(all the holes get shifted slightly inside and you can't use the cable.) so be careful!

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

I designed another plane with Twisted Hobbys and RCFactory! Really pleased with how this one came out. RCGroups detailed thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557939 43" span, power is pants on head retarded with a 3S 2200.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

I designed another plane with Twisted Hobbys and RCFactory! Really pleased with how this one came out. RCGroups detailed thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557939 43" span, power is pants on head retarded with a 3S 2200.

Need video!!. I'm tempted by this one...had kinda decided on the (larger) Pitts as my next TH plane, but this one looks really good.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Need video!!. I'm tempted by this one...had kinda decided on the (larger) Pitts as my next TH plane, but this one looks really good.

Everybody is going bananas asking for video. Somebody even replied to the email campaign we sent out looking for video.

I'll have one Thursday night, or Saturday night at the latest.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm still waiting for the full MXS-C video that you said you would do :v:

I going by the proportions, I assume it behaves along the lone of the MXS?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

I'm still waiting for the full MXS-C video that you said you would do :v:

I going by the proportions, I assume it behaves along the lone of the MXS?

Yeah...one of those things that was on my list and never quite came together. It always sucks tracking down someone to video. I have the Soloshot3 pre ordered for next year so maybe it won't be such an issue.

Anyway, yeah, for other planes to compare it to, the MXS is probably the closest. But the weight, size, airfoil, power, and stiffness make it feel a lot more like a balsa airplane than the 32" flat foamies. It's really an ideal stepping stone between foam and balsa, or just a great way to have fun in a larger field.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

Yeah...one of those things that was on my list and never quite came together. It always sucks tracking down someone to video. I have the Soloshot3 pre ordered for next year so maybe it won't be such an issue.

Anyway, yeah, for other planes to compare it to, the MXS is probably the closest. But the weight, size, airfoil, power, and stiffness make it feel a lot more like a balsa airplane than the 32" flat foamies. It's really an ideal stepping stone between foam and balsa, or just a great way to have fun in a larger field.

Wow, I shouldn't post and work at the same time. Nice job decoding that.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Wow, I shouldn't post and work at the same time. Nice job decoding that.

Which twisted planes did you have? Just the mini Pitts?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

Which twisted planes did you have? Just the mini Pitts?

Mini Pitts and the MXS. The Pitts was my first 3D plane and I probably should have started with the larger one, but hey, they're hard to break!

Most of my focus last season went on getting the Talon operational for autonomous mapping missions and it's only in the last couple of months that I've had time to fly 3D, but due to weather, now confined to the simulator.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mini Pitts and the MXS. The Pitts was my first 3D plane and I probably should have started with the larger one, but hey, they're hard to break!

Most of my focus last season went on getting the Talon operational for autonomous mapping missions and it's only in the last couple of months that I've had time to fly 3D, but due to weather, now confined to the simulator.

Everybody gravitates towards the mini Pitts for their first 3D plane because it's so cool but it's the hardest of the bunch to build and is a bit too quick for a beginner. If you want to try another one in that size range I'd highly recommend the Laser. It makes everything really easy. Easier than the MXS.

It's been hard for me to get out and fly too though our weather is still good...just no daylight after work.

My ZMR 250 has been doing a weird thing where it will twitch randomly every ten seconds or so. I started unplugging stuff with the motors running with no props and poking at wires, trying to find a loose motor wire or something. I found it went away when unplugging my vtx. Then I found it went away when the camera was just unplugged, vtx still in. Then I found it was fine running the camera directly off the battery, not 5V from from the vtx. So I rewired it like that. Then after about thirty seconds of flying it came back again. Then I unplugged the whole video system and it flew fine for like thirty seconds, then came back again. :shrug:

Time to rewire the whole bitch cause I did a janky job the first time around. Will also try a new bec and if none of that fixes it a new FC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Here's another stupid quadcopter idea of mine: Streamlined body for forward aerodynamics with a tilting rotor plane.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Combat Pretzel posted:

Here's another stupid quadcopter idea of mine: Streamlined body for forward aerodynamics with a tilting rotor plane.

Like this?
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:605078

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Dynamically tilting. Practically it'd be a 90° rotated H-frame with an aerodynamic shell (housing part of the components) that stays level, say by a motor driven screw gear. Whenever I finish and get my torpedo flying, maybe I'll look into it.

--edit: It's a shower thought that came up thinking about how much of a pain in the rear end a 45° propeller plane is for landing, hovering and maybe starting.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 10, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

Everybody gravitates towards the mini Pitts for their first 3D plane because it's so cool but it's the hardest of the bunch to build and is a bit too quick for a beginner. If you want to try another one in that size range I'd highly recommend the Laser. It makes everything really easy. Easier than the MXS.

You mean the 32" Laser Lite?. I was leaning towards the Pitts as your original Pitts video is still one of my favourite 3D videos and I love the way it can float, although I also like the big lines you can pull with the MXS, especially after I went to 3S.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do any of you fly BetaFlight firmware? I've been reading up on it and Air Mode. Basically it lets you maintain full PID control at zero throttle. So you can "glide" down instead of dropping like a rock. Is this accurate?

If it is I think I discovered the poor man's version in Cleanflight. You need Motor_Stop enabled.

- Flip your arm switch so you're armed. Motors are not spinning

- On your Tx trim the throttle up a notch or two until the motors start as if Motor_Stop was disabled. You must adjust trim AFTER arming or else arm won't work. At least it wouldn't for me.

When you Motor_Stop and Throttle trim up the motors spin but ALSO react to moving the quad around. So I could cut my throttle completely but still pitch forward and roll/yaw. To land you either disarm an inch off the ground or quickly re-adjust your throttle trim and land normally.

Is this an approximation of Air Mode? I flew like this today and it was really fun. Unless this is a really bad idea for some reason might always fly like this going forward.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 12, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think that is similar to how some of the freestylers set theirs up to do 3D style moves without a 3D prop / reversing motor setup. Though I believe many hit a switch to change their throttle ranges after getting in the air

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

You mean the 32" Laser Lite?. I was leaning towards the Pitts as your original Pitts video is still one of my favourite 3D videos and I love the way it can float, although I also like the big lines you can pull with the MXS, especially after I went to 3S.

The Pitts is also a great airplane and comparable to the Laser for ease, but not quite as precise. Both are a bit more forgiving than the MXS. The little Pitts is especially unforgiving so if you try either the full sized Pitts or the Laser you will be in for a treat.

http://youtu.be/ej-aNIh1PbE

Finally got video of the Veloxity up!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
3d plane flying makes no sense. Every time I watch it I end up thinking to myself 'Aaahh, hogwash' and put it out of my mind. crazy nonsense.

Also everyone who flies Horizon but wants to learn to fly Rate try this:

Ignore my PIDs they are for a Morphite 155. The important numbers are Strength(Horizon) and Transition(Horizon). Horizon mode is still active but it does not immediately level out. The quad will maintain the direction it was given as if in Rate mode. Leave the stick alone and it will slowly level out. I like Transition at 15 but the default is 100 which is the snappy behaviour you'd normally expect from a well tuned mini in Horizon mode. Lowering it makes Horizon lazy which is something I have always wanted.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I've been messing with model aircraft for many years, and this hockey season, I landed a gig flying the blimp at a local hockey rink. I enjoy flying multirotors, and I'm currently building an octocopter. I'm aware of "public concern" building up about multirotors, but until recently I wasn't really sure what was causing this, apart from stupid media hysteria bullshit. Flying the blimp has given me an unexpected insight.

Quite often, when I'm flying the blimp at the hockey games, I get kids come up to me and want to talk about the blimp. I can't really talk to them because the blimp takes all my concentration to fly. Sometimes, though, I get grown men talk to me. They are usually late twenties to early thirties, apparently single, and they want to fly the blimp. They don't ask politely, even though we're in Canada. It usually emerges that they own a "drone", and as a result, think that they are both entitled to fly anything else, and have the skills. They have mastered flying a computer controlled machine that stays in the air despite them, not because of them. They are not model aircraft flyers. They always refer to their multirotors as drones. They are manchildren with disposable income and no respect for other people, and THAT is where the problem lies. It's a classic case of "this is why we can't have nice things, because arseholes."