Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, local zoning boards can also be fascist, so they should get along swimmingly. :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
I'm pretty sure people on this very forum reported it to the city.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
They replaced the approved bronze statue with what was obviously a cheap and nasty advert for their new product line. Did they have prior consent for that? Did the marine count as an ornamental sculpture while the sprayed-gold lump of poo poo on a box class as an advert? I wouldn't be surprised at all if they fell foul of the planners.

It's hilarious if this story is true. Although I would also have expected those ugly Sigmar signs to have come off the walls at the same time.

JerryLee posted:

Well, local zoning boards can also be fascist, so they should get along swimmingly. :iamafag:

Yeah, you do not gently caress about with the planners in the UK. They are only marginally more carefree than the Khmer Rouge.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 6, 2015

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
It had nothing to do with it being an advert... Their only planning permission was for a muted bronze space marine statue and the golden master race statue was something very different that they hadn't filed planning permission for. The planning office also picked up on the change from the acquilla to the stormfront symbolism and wanted planning permission for that too. When GW eventually filed permission, the forms were filled with very sarcastic comments about how ridiculous they found it. Of course, since it was filed retroactively, none of the local residents had the opportunity to make complaints before the statue was put up, so it wouldn't surprise me if those complaints have now been filed and permission retroactively removed.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Spending a pound to save a penny is something i've seen at a lot of companies.

I like that phrase, thank you.

loving lol if they didn't pull a permit. I've never pulled a permit in Britain nor will I ever but I presume it's about 10.00 GBP to file that permit but that the fine is about fifty times that amount, gahaha.

Let me figure... about $10 to $65 per air conditioning permit, about $5 for a signage permit... yeah, probably about $750 USD. I searched "Games Workshop" fined statue permit and didn't turn up anything but GW whining about 3D printers.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Statue application
Banner application

Edit: there's nothing on the council's site about permission being retroactively removed, so if the statue has been taken down then it's likely GWs decision rather than any planning issues.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 6, 2015

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Somewhere under a flight of stairs, an ultramarine smiles.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I liked the sigmarine statue. It was such a perfect, concise symbol of GW's pigshit obstinacy and batshit insanity.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:agreed: It really is an Ozymandias-level display of hubris.

Now if only I could find that remade poem that someone did.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

No Pun Intended posted:

I met a traveller from a British land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in Lenton. Near them, on the ground,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'The age of Sigmar, game of games:
look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level roads stretch far away.".

Ahem

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

They did send a poet :suspense:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Daeleh's links are broken, here's a working one to the documents page:

http://publicaccess.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NS8M5YLYCB000

From reading these, the council hauled them up as the new statue and building front were clearly advertising something. GW have been told to submit a separate application for consent to use the front of their building as an advertising hoarding.

The form itself is entirely standard and not terribly entertaining, although whoever made the application curiously ticked the "I am related to an elected member of the Authority" box and then filled the form out with details of how wonderful a person he is.

EDIT: If the statue has been taken down, it's possible someone at GW panicked - as other people have commented, the planning authorities in the UK have no sense of humour whatsoever and have an amusingly inquisitorial style.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Loxbourne posted:

Daeleh's links are broken, here's a working one to the documents page:

http://publicaccess.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=NS8M5YLYCB000

From reading these, the council hauled them up as the new statue and building front were clearly advertising something. GW have been told to submit a separate application for consent to use the front of their building as an advertising hoarding.

The form itself is entirely standard and not terribly entertaining, although whoever made the application curiously ticked the "I am related to an elected member of the Authority" box and then filled the form out with details of how wonderful a person he is.

EDIT: If the statue has been taken down, it's possible someone at GW panicked - as other people have commented, the planning authorities in the UK have no sense of humour whatsoever and have an amusingly inquisitorial style.

If you read the documents they are granted retrospective planning permission for it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks, friend. It's beautiful. :allears:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Loxbourne posted:

whoever made the application curiously ticked the "I am related to an elected member of the Authority" box and then filled the form out with details of how wonderful a person he is.
Why do they even have that as a specific box? :wtc:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Pierzak posted:

It exists to declare potential conflict-of-interest issues, like how Antonin Scalia went golfing with a plaintiff or defendant (I forget, sue me) in a Supreme Court case in the US of A but refused to recuse himself because he's a horrid rear end in a top hat.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Pierzak posted:

It's to avoid conflicts of interest. There have been quite a few planning scandals in the UK where someone who knows someone quietly approved massive developments, or developments on their own land or by their own companies. Vigilance for corruption is precisely why the planning bodies are so uptight here.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is anyone here interested in buying Warmaster stuff?

Selling large empire and high elves armies for a friend. All NIB.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Maybe interested in the Empire. Will PM.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Guys guys guys. The Sigmarine statue and the stupid sigmar aquila are still there, I passed it on the tram today. Sorry to ruin the schadenfreude, i'm sure GW will find something else to gently caress up given time!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
gently caress you that's a lie. There is no tram in Nottingham. Just an endless, ever-meandering set of roadworks and diversions. Last time I was at WW the roadworks had moved about 50 yards from where they were a year prior.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

gently caress you that's a lie. There is no tram in Nottingham. Just an endless, ever-meandering set of roadworks and diversions. Last time I was at WW the roadworks had moved about 50 yards from where they were a year prior.

gently caress me mate i've bin rumbled

Nah the tram is finished now and is Cool and Good mostly because it has made my house more valuable

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
A good article: http://unpluggedgames.co.uk/features/blood-dice-and-darkness-how-warhammer-defined-gaming-for-a-generation/

Rick Priestly posted:

The models started to get big and came with too many parts. The number of pieces and the size of design are key factors in the cost of production, and there was a lack of discipline that meant the models were becoming less profitable.

That he said this of Warhammer when they bought the LotR license is especially damning. Looking at newer releases, it's only gotten worse.

Also:

Rick Priestly posted:

It’s [Gate of Antares] a game with a future, which I don’t think 40K is.

:drat:

This was also in the death thread but people would rather have page-long derails there about bringing guns on airplanes so I try not to read it if I can help it.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
My favorite part of the article, especially now we have Sigmarines:

quote:

The civil war within the human Imperium would set the scene for 40k’s entire backstory, and the Space Marines would become the most recognisable figures in its fictional universe. But while recent editions of the game have cast them in a heroic light, Priestley argued that Games Workshop had misinterpreted the intent behind the characters.

“To me the background to 40K was always intended to be ironic,” he said.

“The fact that the Space Marines were lauded as heroes within Games Workshop always amused me, because they’re brutal, but they’re also completely self-deceiving. The whole idea of the Emperor is that you don’t know whether he’s alive or dead. The whole Imperium might be running on superstition. There’s no guarantee that the Emperor is anything other than a corpse with a residual mental ability to direct spacecraft.

“It’s got some parallels with religious beliefs and principles, and I think a lot of that got missed and overwritten.”

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, as someone who liked Ultramarines (due to several years of high school Latin), it always disappointed me that they were, even back in 3rd edition, the Goodest Good Guys. I wish they had bothered to make them a bit more ambiguous (e.g. corrupt senators, bread-and-circus politics, etc). I doubt it'd have kept me buying minis, but I might have bought a few more of the novels.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, as someone who liked Ultramarines (due to several years of high school Latin), it always disappointed me that they were, even back in 3rd edition, the Goodest Good Guys. I wish they had bothered to make them a bit more ambiguous (e.g. corrupt senators, bread-and-circus politics, etc). I doubt it'd have kept me buying minis, but I might have bought a few more of the novels.

If it helps, even a benevolent dictator should be sent to the guillotine

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Exactly, and I always wanted them to address that in the official fluff. Maybe have revolutionaries trying to depose the government of Ultramar or something. It could have provided an interesting contrast to the more brutal dictatorships of the rest of the Imperium, where any revolution would probably go about as well as it did in 1984.

That's probably my biggest issue with 40k especially, and WFB to a lesser degree: any reasonably-intelligent person into Warhammer can come up with way cooler fluff than GW does. If GW even got near some of the better ideas I've seen fans make up, their settings would be a hell of a lot more interesting. At least Fantasy Flight manages this occasionally, but it's too little too late for me now.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Good article. Nice to have handy to point out to my friends who still like to think of space marines as good guys. However, without tangential off topic activity the death thread would be at the bottom of page 10 six days of the week. And Moola's posts are often fun anyway.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

:eyepop:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I love the quote about how they chose where to put stores, and puts the "no market research" in a different light

quote:

The company’s expansion plan was unconventional, but effective.

“We just looked at the top division of the English football league,” Stallard said.

“We thought that if a town was big enough to support a top level football team, then it was big enough to support a Games Workshop store.

“After that we got a bit more clever. We looked for towns that had a Marks & Spencer [an up-market British department store chain] and an Early Learning Centre [a group of toy shops with a largely middle-class clientele]. We thought: ‘Well, they’ve done their research, they know where the good locations are.'”

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I'll never understand why people want marines to be good guys. When I was an idiot child, the thing about Warhammer (both kinds) that got me interested is that it was one of the first sci-fi/fantasy settings where everyone was kind of hosed up. It's not like marines-as-heroes is a new development either; they've been on this path as long as I remember. It just used to be possible to ignore the dumb bits.

About the only thing that surprised me with AoS is that it was a quantum leap in badness. Prior to its release, I'd have guessed that it would take another decade for Warhammer to degrade to this point.

e: Another point I realized. Even the Lizardmen (who smart people all rightly agree are super cool) aren't really real anymore; they're like holograms or something: "Summoned by the incredible power of the Slann Starmasters, they materialise from the energy of the stars themselves..."

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 14, 2015

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Avenging Dentist posted:

Exactly, and I always wanted them to address that in the official fluff. Maybe have revolutionaries trying to depose the government of Ultramar or something. It could have provided an interesting contrast to the more brutal dictatorships of the rest of the Imperium, where any revolution would probably go about as well as it did in 1984.

I dont know that much about 40k, as the only books I ever owned were the 5th edition core rule book and the orc codex. But I assume that because everything is from the viewpoint of the Empire, "Chaos" and "Xenos" is just propaganda. Someone rebels and after they're defeated, they're painted as a freak monster that drinks blood, or fucks demons or is Dumb and So Goddamn Crazy™ (orks). This propaganda is the full setting; the "what actually happened" has been completely scrubbed away. I think that's kinda awesome.

Ultramarines are just "what if Nazis were nice guys?" That's why I don't worry if GW corporate "gets" it. I think they probably do: Tarkis (not an ultramarine but a "good guy") in Dawn of War 2 says right out "Xenos..." in a menacing manner if you reveal some eldar or orks.

But who cares? If GW is sincere, the sincerity just makes it better.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I played Tau because they actually were the good guys. They had diplomacy and the power of science to back them up and seemed more like the federation in star trek than anything else. Of course, some people interpreted them to be "the relatively 'good' guys" when everything was "supposed" to be grimdark in 40k, but I chalked that up to just trying to be edgy.

The lizardmen were great and I really did want to start an army of them. I got some bretonnians as part of a trade and hoped to paint them at some point but lizardmen were always my true love.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
A while ago someone posted an explanation of the Lizardmen that compared them to babysitters where the parents have been out for several thousand years and it really made me want to play them.

Fortunately for me WM/H had a more accessible community, I guess.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I dont know that much about 40k, as the only books I ever owned were the 5th edition core rule book and the orc codex. But I assume that because everything is from the viewpoint of the Empire, "Chaos" and "Xenos" is just propaganda.

If you interpret all fluff as written in-universe (which it often is), you end up having to ask a lot of questions about who the intended (in-universe) audience is. Would some random Imperial citizen have access to the full chronology of the Tyrannic War, where the Ultramarines' First Company was wiped out to a man? Probably not. I think the intended audience for most of the fiction is someone in the Inquisition, which makes the absence of any rumors of rebels in Ultramar kind of suspect; the Inquisition would probably be very interested in that knowledge. On the contrary, the fiction about Ultramar paints it as close to idyllic as possible in 40K, with the possible exception of the Tau.

That's the real problem with 40K fluff for me: on the surface, there is all this weird propaganda, and even the "good guys" seem like real pieces of poo poo, but when you start reading more (usually early-mid 2000s White Dwarf articles in my case), it starts to fall apart, and a lot of the moral ambiguity is lost.

Addendum: I always preferred to interpret the Tau as capable of evil too, since I think it's a bit silly for an entire species to be fundamentally good. I usually read the Tau fluff as propaganda from their expansionist regime, trying to get other planets/species to join up.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 14, 2015

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also aren't the Tau mostly controlled by mind altering pheromones or something?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yes. The Tau are an (unknowingly) genetically engineered, puppet race. Who, in turn, knowingly and forcibly enslave and/or sterilise any other life form they come across. They are Animal Farm The 40k Years.

I don't get how anyone could read the Tau fluff and not understand that they are every bit as horrendous as the Imperium. It has always been pretty obvious in the text.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 14, 2015

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't get how anyone could read the Tau fluff and not understand that they are every bit as horrendous as the Imperium. It has always been pretty obvious in the text.

I wouldn't say always. I'm pretty sure most of that stuff isn't in the original Codex (or the second one, which are the only ones I have). That sounds more like a retcon to make the Tau more evil.

Although the "manifest destiny" poo poo has been there since day one.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yes. The Tau are an (unknowingly) genetically engineered, puppet race. Who, in turn, knowingly and forcibly enslave and/or sterilise any other life form they come across. They are Animal Farm The 40k Years.

"every bit as horrendous" is going way far. Sure, when they invite a species to join them they aren't going to take no for an answer, and you will be assimilated into their space-commie union, but unlike lots of places in the Imperium, living on a Tau controlled planet probably guarantees you access to stuff like adequate food and basic sanitation. And it's not like there's many places where there's democratic representative government anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The argument basically boils down to, would Mao's China be the good guys, if it were in the 40k setting? Because by comparison, subsuming your entire free will to the state and living in conform-or-die subservience still beats the hell out of living in an Imperial hiveworld.

That does not make the Tau "the good guys."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
that's still a pretty lazy and boring direction to go with them. if it's hard to think of a a way to complicate a faction that doesn't involve them being secretly stalinist hitlers you could try ripping off any country* that has ever existed ever

*excepting ones that are either stalinist or hitlers

• Locked thread