Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I liked Warhammer and Warmachine when I was younger, is there anything kinda like either of them that all just comes in a box and doesnt cost $500 for all the bits and pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Anatharon posted:

I liked Warhammer and Warmachine when I was younger, is there anything kinda like either of them that all just comes in a box and doesnt cost $500 for all the bits and pieces?

Lichtenstein Lichtenstein Lichtenstein

(his answer is diskwars, although there are a few expansions)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Anatharon posted:

Think you're in the wrong thread, sorry. You'll probably want to ask in this thread here, or this thread here. Unless you're in the market for something that looks like this, or like this.

Some quick answers, though: Warhammer: Diskwars, X-Wing, or Malifaux are all solid miniatures-y games that be played competitively with low investments. You might also look into Infinity, MERCs, and/or Dropzone Commander, but I know absolutely nothing about those games.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 12, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
200 for Battle of Calth box and you be hammin' away.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Less than $500

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh! Bolt action has a D-Day Firefight starter, for about a $100. Bolt Action is often erroneously labeled as WWII 40K, as it's supposedly based on 40K, but it doesn't have all the convoluted rules fuckery... unless you're fighting in buildings, I guess.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Anatharon posted:

The thread has spoken the truth. Warhammer: Diskwars is the answer to your woes. Let me show you a testimonial from the very first page of the curent board game thread:

ambushsabre posted:

I played Warhammer Diskwars once and now all I want to do is play again.
Other than it being a great game and me really needing FFG to print a proper Skaven expansion, it should really fit your query. The Warhammer bit is obvious, but it bears mentioning it's doing the unbelievable thing of being Warhammer with good rules. It is also being a bit warmachine'y, come to think of it. The game is comboish in terms of unit and spell composition (though I'd liken the feel more to that of Magic), and your army is tied by a hero that's powerful-but-in-need-of-protection and a suite of spells. Combat is also quite aggressive, lethal and generally page five.

PS. Just loving buy Diskwars.

PPS. Diskwars.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
In Diskwars, you can play as a giant bird who deals with his enemies by teleporting gargantuan siege cannons on top of their heads.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

In Diskwars, you can play as a giant bird who deals with his enemies by teleporting gargantuan siege cannons on top of their heads.

Looks pretty rad, tbh

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
It's been a while since we've poo poo up a thread with diskwarslife.html

Lichtenstein posted:

Great mechanics, 8/10. 9/10 if players rap about each move they're making.

BUY DISKWARS WORRY LATER

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's legit funny that FFG made a better WFB miniature game than GWS, but without any miniatures. Shame they seem to have forgotten about it :(

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Overall I liked it and want to play again. The combat is meh but the surrounding package is very attractive. One warning: the game very much relies on gentlemen's word to function. Certain tech cards need to be p,aged in order and there is very little way to make sure that a player is doing that. Also unit movement relies on trust since you don't need to reveal units. If that bothers you, I wouldn't recommend trying it.

With the tech cards you're supposed to place any vaulted tech cards in a stack, so at the end or when you reveal them, you can flip over the stack and they'll be in the right order.

But yeah, movement is entirely down to trust, and really so is build-up unless you're watching people's block rotations like a hawk to make sure they don't rotate the same block twice.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Ubik_Lives posted:

With the tech cards you're supposed to place any vaulted tech cards in a stack, so at the end or when you reveal them, you can flip over the stack and they'll be in the right order.

But yeah, movement is entirely down to trust, and really so is build-up unless you're watching people's block rotations like a hawk to make sure they don't rotate the same block twice.

Is trust really that big a deal in face to face games with people?

It reminds me of this game called Dragon's Gold where one of the artifacts you can get is called "Sticky Glove" or something, and it basically tells you to cheat by grabbing extra gems or gold when no one is looking until someone calls you out on it.

So, my one friend is doing this, and my girlfriend spotted him, but didn't want to say anything because it's sort of awkward if you think someone is actually cheating. None of us even knew that card was in the deck. And at the end of the game, my friend confessed how weird it made him feel.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's probably a direct ripoff of the super flare in original (and optionally in new) cosmic that lets you cheat until/unless you get caught.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What the hell thread am I in right now

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think there is something to be said about designs that don't require trust between players being mechanistically better designs, but I won't have problems playing games that require trust myself and I especially don't have a problem with it for something like Triumph & Tragedy, because the game is not going to be played in a casual situation in public, I will always know my opponent and the game is long enough that I don't see a point in spoiling the game in that way. But I'd rather not get into a huge trust/locks/etc shitfest of a discussion.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Sounds like it's time for another card play of EOTS!

Fourth Japanese and Allied card play

Current hand:

I play Tinian Raid for a 2OC Offensive with the South HQ. I wouldn't mind using it as an Event for multiple Battle Hexes, but I plan on moving more then one ground unit in each Offensive for the rest of the turn. Maybe it'll turn up again to hit a B29?

I activate Kor Army to move next to Tjilatjap and CV Soryu and 25th Army from Kota Bharu to attack Medan. Hopefully I won't need that army when I attack Malaya next turn.

The Allies make their intel roll, and he activates 19th LRB, moving it up to Rangoon.

The Air Naval battle is a wash, and I make my Ground Combat roll to take Medan. 19th LRB PBMs to Jarhat and CV Soryu goes back to Miri. I'm annoyed that he was able to move another air unit up to the CBI line, but I think it won't make a huge difference.

The Allies then use their second pass.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Anatharon posted:

There is also Heroes of Normandie which has bits and pieces but they are pretty cheap.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

My hate of randomness is greatly exaggerated, I just hate randomness badly applied.

The premier CDG for me is now Empire of the Sun. Nothing approaches it for depth, mechanical fortitude and historicity.

Yah, this dude likes Combat Commander which is the most random luckfest of a game I've ever played. And I say that as a competitive Netrunner player.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 13, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Tekopo posted:

I think there is something to be said about designs that don't require trust between players being mechanistically better designs, but I won't have problems playing games that require trust myself and I especially don't have a problem with it for something like Triumph & Tragedy, because the game is not going to be played in a casual situation in public, I will always know my opponent and the game is long enough that I don't see a point in spoiling the game in that way. But I'd rather not get into a huge trust/locks/etc shitfest of a discussion.

Fair enough, just thought it was a weird caveat to make, given we're all adults playing adult games and in my decades in the hobby I can't personally think of a single instance of someone cheating. Didn't realize it was a dead horse / can of worms topic.

Can someone recommend some cooperative war games? Along the lines of Ambush when you play with two people.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Got my clippers today. They work great. A++ would sperg again. 30 counters down, I have no loving idea how many more. :smithicide:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The General posted:

Got my clippers today. They work great. A++ would sperg again. 30 counters down, I have no loving idea how many more. :smithicide:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That took forever. Only three more sets like that to go.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and tomdidiot played a game of EotS on Sunday, my first as the allies and I lost after an India Surrender. tomdidiot brought up a good point however: why not place Ghormley in the CBI? I've never seen much use for him within the South Pacific and if you are struggling in the CBI, maybe an army Corps there can make the difference between holding on to the CBI and losing it completely. I made a few mistakes in my game (losing my fleet due to stupid attacks, my line of defence not being the best and wasting my troops on a do or die attempt) but I can see it being really useful in places, especially if MacArthur is already around in Australia.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

Me and tomdidiot played a game of EotS on Sunday, my first as the allies and I lost after an India Surrender. tomdidiot brought up a good point however: why not place Ghormley in the CBI? I've never seen much use for him within the South Pacific and if you are struggling in the CBI, maybe an army Corps there can make the difference between holding on to the CBI and losing it completely. I made a few mistakes in my game (losing my fleet due to stupid attacks, my line of defence not being the best and wasting my troops on a do or die attempt) but I can see it being really useful in places, especially if MacArthur is already around in Australia.

I always felt having both MacArthur and Ghormley in the South Pacific was a bit of a waste and having a US HQ in the CBI does open things up there.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Tekopo posted:

I think the S Pacific HQ is mostly supposed to be a stop-gap in case the SW Pac HQ is still stuck in Manila, though the increased Efficiency of the Halsey version could make it an attractive alternative, like in the 1943 scenario setup. I can also see having both ANZAC and the S Pacific HQ in the South Pacific on Turn 3 might be helpful in case you lose one.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
In Cube Libre Solitaire when the play book indicates :

quote:

The gray halo tells the player to
check the special instructions
(8.4.1) on this Non-player’s aid
sheet before the Non-player Faction
executes the Event.

So the rulebook indicated:

quote:

8.4.1 Event Instructions. Whenever any Non-player Faction is to
execute an Event and that Faction’s symbol on the card has a gray
halo, first check any special instructions for that Event at the bottom
of that Faction’s sheet.

If I don't own the game(I p500 the reprint so trying to learn on VASSAL), where would I find this if I don't have these aids?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

sonatinas posted:

If I don't own the game(I p500 the reprint so trying to learn on VASSAL), where would I find this if I don't have these aids?

You don't. The solitaire play aids aren't available online.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Fifth Japanese and Allied card play

Current hand:

I play the Weather card as a 2OC Offensive with the South HQ. The Kor Army and CVL Zuiho are activated to attack Tjilatjap, and the 35th Army moves from Palembang to Bangka and take the last hex needed to make the DEI surrender. The Allies fail their intel roll, and I take Tjilatjap without issue. CVL Zuiho then moves back to Soerabaja.

The Allies then play Chenault as an Event, replacing the AVG Air with 14AF, then attacks my 15th Army with it and FE Air using SEAC. Luckily, I make my intel roll and activate 5AD in Clark Field, 21AF in Taihoku, and 22AF in Bangkok to respond. I initially wanted to respond by moving the 28th Army up out of Bangkok, too, but then I remembered that activation restrictions on an Event apply to both players. I also realize later I could have moved 5AD down to Phnom Penh and have it fight at full strength.

During combat, I reduce both his Air units, and he reduces 5AD. I then PBM 5AD back to Clark Field and 21AF to Tainan, leaving 22AF in Bangkok. My opponent then moves FE Air to Mandalay and leaves 14AF in Rangoon. Not a good exchange on my part, but at least the 15th Army didn't get reduced.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

COOL CORN posted:

You don't. The solitaire play aids aren't available online.

I guess I could google translate the german ones that are on BGG. I knew I should have bought it when I saw it like half a year ago. Thankfully, I did that with Navajo Wars.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly a little common sense will figure out what half the instructions are.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Sixth Japanese and Allied card play

Current hand:

As I only have 1OC cards left, I can't take Guadalcanal and Hollandia as I'd like. I think Guadalcanal is the more important target, and I can at least take that using the units in Rabaul. Using South Seas HQ, I could also then activate the 3SN Brigade in Davao to take Vogelkop. I can then either use my other 1OC card to take Wewak using the 1SN Brigade in Truk, or withdraw the Comb Fleet HQ to put it back into play next turn. Probably in Tarakan to help the CBI Front and also threaten Australia. I could also put Submarine Attack into my FoQ, but I'd rather do something else to help continue my attacks. I eventually decide to withdraw Comb Fleet HQ with Tojo Resigns, hoping that taking Guadalcanal will be enough to help take New Guinea. My opponent could also do something that moves a Naval unit and lets me play Submarine Attack. Unfortunately, he doesn't, and simply plays a card into his FoQ.

Seventh Japanese and Allied card play

I play Submarine Attack as described above. The Allies fail their intel roll, but there was nothing he could move into position anyway, so I'm able to reduce CA Kent and take Guadalcanal. I leave CA Aoba in Guadalcanal and CA Kent is moved to Port Moresby.

My opponent then plays a 1OC card with SEAC HQ to move up some Chinese armies.

Turn 2 Political and Attrition Phase

The Dutch East Indies surrender, removing all Dutch units from the game and giving me control of all airbases and ports in the DEI that do not contain US or Commonwealth ground units. This includes the hex ABDA HQ is in, so it is removed from the game. I also control both Rabaul and Guadalcanal, so I take control of the Australian Mandates. US Political Will is then reduced by one due the surrender of the DEI.

For Attrition, no reduced units are eliminated, as they are all in range of HQs, supplied or unsupplied. Allied units in Malaya, the Philippines, and Australia are OOS and reduced. PM Brigade in Port Moresby is also OOS and reduced.

So ends Turn 2. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with my progress. I achieved my core objectives and I think I'm in a decent position for Turn 3. New Guinea will be an issue, though. My plans for next turn include finishing off Malaya and the Philippines, taking Rangoon, and neutralizing New Guinea. Depending on what I draw, I might go after Burma, Australia, or Midway.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Taran_Wanderer posted:

My opponent then plays a 1OC card with SEAC HQ to move up some Chinese armies.

Turn 2 Political and Attrition Phase

The Dutch East Indies surrender, removing all Dutch units from the game and giving me control of all airbases and ports in the DEI that do not contain US or Commonwealth ground units. This includes the hex ABDA HQ is in, so it is removed from the game. I also control both Rabaul and Guadalcanal, so I take control of the Australian Mandates. US Political Will is then reduced by one due the surrender of the DEI.

For Attrition, no reduced units are eliminated, as they are all in range of HQs, supplied or unsupplied. Allied units in Malaya, the Philippines, and Australia are OOS and reduced. PM Brigade in Port Moresby is also OOS and reduced.

So ends Turn 2. Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with my progress. I achieved my core objectives and I think I'm in a decent position for Turn 3. New Guinea will be an issue, though. My plans for next turn include finishing off Malaya and the Philippines, taking Rangoon, and neutralizing New Guinea. Depending on what I draw, I might go after Burma, Australia, or Midway.

I would never, ever play Bataan death March for anything other than Political Will purposes. It gives you an incredibly important buffer that allows you to fail to make progress of war/get an attacking force wiped out without losing the game.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My 14 year old niece has started to help clip my counters... Even after 3 people (myself included) told her to find better uses of her time. the disease, it's spreading.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

tomdidiot posted:

I would never, ever play Bataan death March for anything other than Political Will purposes. It gives you an incredibly important buffer that allows you to fail to make progress of war/get an attacking force wiped out without losing the game.

I think it's just that and Doolittle that increase US Political Will, yeah? That seems like good advice, though he couldn't play it for the Event at that moment. I guess he can fetch it out of the discard later with an ISR ending card later. Do you feel the same way about the Japanese events that lower Political Will?

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I think it's just that and Doolittle that increase US Political Will, yeah? That seems like good advice, though he couldn't play it for the Event at that moment. I guess he can fetch it out of the discard later with an ISR ending card later. Do you feel the same way about the Japanese events that lower Political Will?

He should have put that card into FO. There are very, very few cards the Allies would rather save for Turn 3.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hello wargamer friends: I just learned about Holy Roman Empire: The Thirty Years War: The Board Game, which came out a month or so ago. Any thoughts/opinions on it? I've recently become interested in that clusterfuck of a setting as a result of some questionable alternate-historial fiction, and seeing a shiny new wargame about it intrigues me enough to consider buying A Game I Will Never Play

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Has anyone played Enemy Coast Ahead: The Dambuster Raid?

It looks really interesting and I live very close to one of the Dams (the Möhnesee one) so the history of the game is not that foreign for me.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Archenteron posted:

Hello wargamer friends: I just learned about Holy Roman Empire: The Thirty Years War: The Board Game, which came out a month or so ago. Any thoughts/opinions on it? I've recently become interested in that clusterfuck of a setting as a result of some questionable alternate-historial fiction, and seeing a shiny new wargame about it intrigues me enough to consider buying A Game I Will Never Play

1632 reader spotted

I don't know about this game, but the bar is pretty low in terms of 30 Years War grand strategy. 30 Years War: Europe In Agony is possibly the worst CDG I have encountered. The Musket and Pike series is good if you want to get your 30 years war stabbin' and shootin' on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Turn 3 Strategic Phase

The Allies receives the ANZAC and S Pac HQs and reinforcements in the Delayed Reinforcements box:

S Pac HQ, XI Army Corp and 10AF LRB are placed in Port Moresby.
BB Miss, SF Brigade, M Brigade, 1 MAW, and CA Northampton are placed in Espiritu Santo.
5AF is placed in Biak.
5AF LRB is placed in Wewak.
CV Indomitable is placed in Colombo.
BB Warspite is placed in Rangoon.
CVL Hermes is placed in Calcutta.
SEAC Air is placed in Dacca.
ANZAC HQ is placed in Darwin.

No US units are sent to Europe.

Japanese Reinforcements:
CV Junyo and 31st Army in Truk
26AF in Guadalcanal
6AD in Rabaul
Comb Fleet HQ in Tarakan

For Replacements, the Allies flip 1 Aus Corp, 2 Aus Corp, 14AF, Aus Air, and 66 Chinese Army to full strength.
BB Yamato is flipped to full strength. Two Japanese Divisions are removed from China to receive two ground replacements, which go to 18th Army in Bangkok and 31st Army in Truk.

Strategic Warfare is a failure, so the Japanese draw seven cards and the Allies draw six. The Allies decline to play a EC Offensive to go first.

First Turn 3 card plays

I am not thrilled with this hand. I'm happy to see Tokyo Rose, Bridge on River Kwai, and an Event offensive, at least, but I'm not going to be able to attack a whole lot. I can draw a card, too, so maybe I'll draw into another good Event Offensive.

I play Kamikaze attack as a 2OC with Comb Fleet HQ.

15th Army moves up to attack 1B Div
28th Army moves up - this sets up Bridge Over River Kwai and my eventual assault on Rangoon
21AF moves to Bangkok
21AF and 22AF in Bangkok attack 1B Div - this is mostly as insurance against Allied Interception
BB Yamato moves from Kure to Truk

Fortunately, the Allies fail their intel roll and I eliminate the 1B Div without contest. I then decline to PBM and leave my units where they are.

My opponent plays a 2OC with the C Pac HQ. He takes Eniwetok and moves his carriers to support New Guinea. I think I can deal with this, so I decline to play my Weather card.