Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Not content with chopping the head off the mayor of some hilldwarf hamlet, my psychotic axedwarf went adventuring to find more subjects. I conquered a town in the middle of being conquered after cutting off the heads of all the invading goblins sleeping in their tents (when will Toady finally introduce guards and sounds of killing to awaken sleeping soldiers?) and before claiming the site for myself I found a human lasher to join me. Then I decided to counterinvade the local dark pits that were invading this tiny hamlet.

Once I got to the dark pits I ran into a goblin spearman outside, who I invited to join me--little did he know the adventure I was going to take him on was killing his former overlord.

But then I found out that my adventuring party consisted of two people who hated each other and spent the entire time doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lawman 0 posted:

Cochineal would make for an excellent addition to vanilla.

I spent like 5 hours figuring out how to implement cohcineal, getting it to work and testing it. The next day I realized Masterwork had it, with the exact same implementation even, and I could have just copy pasted it from there :emo:

What other colony products could you add though? The only thing that comes to my mind are other types of scalebugs for other types of red dye, or lacquer for pretty wood.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

quote:

"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves."

This is quite similar to what happens in the real life - quite a lot of feral cats die after walking under a car, getting splashed with windscreen washer leaking out and then trying to clean their furs.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

The Moon Monster posted:

I spent like 5 hours figuring out how to implement cohcineal, getting it to work and testing it. The next day I realized Masterwork had it, with the exact same implementation even, and I could have just copy pasted it from there :emo:

What other colony products could you add though? The only thing that comes to my mind are other types of scalebugs for other types of red dye, or lacquer for pretty wood.

Mining guano for fuel, fertilizer or building would be neat but I have no idea how you'd model the bat/bird colonies needed to produce it.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

Hmm.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hellequin posted:

"Stopped cats from dying of alcohol poisoning after walking over damp tavern floors and cleaning themselves."

Amazing.

Not only is it hilarious, it's staggering to think of just how much goes into that for the interaction to happen.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Internet Kraken posted:

The nature of combat in Dwarf Fortress means you can survive with truly bizarre injuries. I once had a fort where a terrible disease was being passed around that caused the victim's skin to rot and fall off. It didn't cause bleeding though, so despite gradually losing all their skin these dwarves didn't suffer any negative effect from it. They were however constantly spewing miasma from their rotting bodies that pissed off everyone nearby.

I thought not having skin caused all your blood to fall out? Isn't that why death by fire always used to cause a "bled to death" notification after melting all the skin off, or did that change at some point in the last few years?

Gantolandon posted:

This is quite similar to what happens in the real life - quite a lot of feral cats die after walking under a car, getting splashed with windscreen washer leaking out and then trying to clean their furs.

:smith:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

The Moon Monster posted:

What goes better with vanilla and honey than Castoreum?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Elth posted:

After unretiring a fort, all my fort visitors had their AI break and are now just standing still in random spots doing nothing. They're also all listed as Hostile on the unit screen. The military petitioners work fine but I can't see their skills anymore. And every so often, I'd get a notification that some random human got enraged at nothing in particular and just sit there seething quietly until they calm down.

Humans might just be very passionate arguers though. Those two events happened on the same date.

The ancestors to the common goon.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

super fart shooter posted:

I thought not having skin caused all your blood to fall out? Isn't that why death by fire always used to cause a "bled to death" notification after melting all the skin off, or did that change at some point in the last few years
Fire causes you to bleed to death because of melting fat. It used to be possible (Maybe still is) for you to, as an adventurer, use fires to melt off all your body fat, making you immune to heat. Then you could swim in lava.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Pickled Tink posted:

Fire causes you to bleed to death because of melting fat. It used to be possible (Maybe still is) for you to, as an adventurer, use fires to melt off all your body fat, making you immune to heat. Then you could swim in lava.

Jesus Christ man, tell me this isn't true. :stare:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This is my favorite game ever. :allears:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Honky Dong Country posted:

It certainly used to be true, not sure if it still is anymore. Incidentally, that was why undead were pretty much not bothered whatsoever by magma, they didn't bleed so they didn't care about the melting stuff.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Had a fey mood, and going through their thoughts I noticed I missed a god when putting up shrines. So I whipped up a quick shrine to the god of rain, and my dwarves decided this would be the perfect place for a statue of a blood man. I didn't even know those were a thing. :catstare:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Honky Dong Country posted:

The first bit is absolutely true. You don't have time to burn to death, you just sort of suffer a colossal haemorrhage from every single pore of your body, all at once. I have it on fair authority that flesh and bone still do char and burn up eventually in fires or lava.

It's an oversight that melting tissue bleeds like it was wounded by a blade. You could fix it by either making fat hardy enough to not melt before burning or just making fat a non-vascular tissue. As it is, the only realistic way to get "xyz has burned to death." messages is to set fire to their brains and nothing else.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 14, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Will 1.0 come out when the game actually is more realistic then reality itself?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Fat Bottoms are b'yond reproach
Console me not, foul Urist.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

So Math posted:

Had a fey mood, and going through their thoughts I noticed I missed a god when putting up shrines. So I whipped up a quick shrine to the god of rain, and my dwarves decided this would be the perfect place for a statue of a blood man. I didn't even know those were a thing. :catstare:

Depth 3 caverns are filled with all sorts of weird poo poo. Most of them are harmless though. Blood men might sound horrible but being made out of blood means they fall apart from basically any attack.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hahaha man. Toady didn't gently caress around when he said the elephants needed more likes-x-because reasons:

[PREFSTRING:amazing trunks]
[PREFSTRING:calves' spirited antics]
[PREFSTRING:tusks]
[PREFSTRING:great weight]
[PREFSTRING:social behavior]
[PREFSTRING:flappy ears]
[PREFSTRING:uprooting of trees]
[PREFSTRING:aggressive sparring]
[PREFSTRING:trumpeting]
[PREFSTRING:tool use]
[PREFSTRING:self-awareness]

Esme posted:

At some point someone made a tree mod (just changing the raws) that made trees only show up in biomes that were appropriate for them. Is that still around?

You might be misremembering me spergin' horribly about fruit tree frequency and bayberries. v:shobon:v I could wrap those changes up into a small raw pack if you like.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 14, 2015

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I had a beast made out of fire and a spearguy slew it with only minor burns, but then something the traders brought made my game crash when I tried to buy it. So I had to kill the beast again, and this time it somehow immolated a whole squad with its presence. I normally don't savescum, but I felt cheated since it died cleanly once, so I closed the process and tried again. It managed to wipe out all comers repeatedly until I dug a bunker nearby where it liked to sit around and got a marksdwarf to pay attention to it. Also, when it went for a swim, it seems like it somehow instantly destroyed a whole z-level's worth of water:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scamtank posted:

You might be misremembering me spergin' horribly about fruit tree frequency and bayberries. v:shobon:v I could wrap those changes up into a small raw pack if you like.

Pack it up properly and present it to Toady - if you source the data you consulted, there's a pretty good chance he'll update the official version.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ever since I read an article about elephants raiding small villages to drink booze I've felt Toady should give them the [CURIOUSBEAST_GUZZLER] tag.

EDIT: So a giant toad just dragged 3 dwarves into the water and killed them. It was going to do the same to a fourth, but that dwarf somehow managed to swim away. He swam away from shore into deeper water though, so of course he's gonna die right?

Nope. He starts climbing up a sheer rock cliff with no skill out of the lake. He climbs and climbs until he reaches a tower cap which he sat on until I rescued him.

I feel like I should draft him.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 14, 2015

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Spanish Matlock posted:

Ha, very good.

Some of the procedurally generated specs for poems are way too convoluted, especially for super short poems like this - given that the couplet is also meant to rhyme and reverse the word order in the second line. Might report a bug for it actually.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Maugrim posted:

Ha, very good.

Some of the procedurally generated specs for poems are way too convoluted, especially for super short poems like this - given that the couplet is also meant to rhyme and reverse the word order in the second line. Might report a bug for it actually.

First word rhymes with the last word. Problem solved. :v:

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I thought I editted out skill rust but I just noticed one of my farmers rusty in a few skills, so apparently I did it wrong/the wiki is outdated.

Can anyone tell me how to turn off skill rust, and how to turn off stat decay as well?

EDIT: Browsed for a solution in http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cheating#Tinkering_with_the_Dwarven_Soul and I copied the appropriate stats into the dwarf section where the rest of their abilities and senses were. Let me know if this is wrong or if the info is outdated/whatever.

EDIT EDIT: I notice nowadays legendary miners leave alot less stone and ore when mining. In the old days virtually every one of their mined squares resulted in leftover stone/ore. Anyone else notice that?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 14, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

The nature of combat in Dwarf Fortress means you can survive with truly bizarre injuries. I once had a fort where a terrible disease was being passed around that caused the victim's skin to rot and fall off. It didn't cause bleeding though, so despite gradually losing all their skin these dwarves didn't suffer any negative effect from it. They were however constantly spewing miasma from their rotting bodies that pissed off everyone nearby.

wanna play Leper Colony

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Blackray Jack posted:

EDIT EDIT: I notice nowadays legendary miners leave alot less stone and ore when mining. In the old days virtually every one of their mined squares resulted in leftover stone/ore. Anyone else notice that?
Boulder-generation rates are now flat for all miners, regardless of skill. When smelted, each ore boulder refines into several bars of metal.

The net effect is zero change in metal availability, a significant reduction in stone clutter (and consequent demand for Hauling labor) within each mined-out area, and less need for micromanagement of high-skill miners into high-value ore seams. It's a good thing.

quote:

I copied the appropriate stats into the dwarf section
If you made the changes in raw/objects then they'll be reflected in the next worldgen. If you made them in the data/save folder then they might apply to the current game (or they might apply partially - hitting new migrants but leaving your current citizens susceptible to rust). Can't remember; haven't done it in a while.

Just ensure that your raw/objects folder is modified. You'll probably restart at least once before 0.42.04 is released.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

PublicOpinion posted:

I had a beast made out of fire and a spearguy slew it with only minor burns, but then something the traders brought made my game crash when I tried to buy it. So I had to kill the beast again, and this time it somehow immolated a whole squad with its presence. I normally don't savescum, but I felt cheated since it died cleanly once, so I closed the process and tried again. It managed to wipe out all comers repeatedly until I dug a bunker nearby where it liked to sit around and got a marksdwarf to pay attention to it. Also, when it went for a swim, it seems like it somehow instantly destroyed a whole z-level's worth of water:

I had a fort once with a river down the center under which I built my main entrance with openings on both sides of the river. I was able to control travel across the river with bridges and a buncha traps that way. Then a titan made of fire showed up. He instantly burns and entire side of the map to ash and cinder. At this point I figured it would go for my tunnel and my traps would do their job.

Instead the titan lept into the river to murder turtles and fish and poo poo. The river was five tiles wide and he boiled it off as fast as it could flow as he ran from end to end killing poor river creatures.

I have no good military yet and decide to wade through all the job cancellations to build a platform over the river rigged to a lever. I pile a shitload of stone up there and lock a dwarf in with the lever. I time it perfectly and the titan gets obliterated...along with the floor under the platform which opened a hole directly into my main entrance. With the fire titan gone, the river immediately flowed fully again and filled my entire fortress.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013

my dad posted:

First word rhymes with the last word. Problem solved. :v:

Fat Bottom || in thrones sat
Sat thrones || in Bottom Fat

Would seem to be a bit closer to the description.

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spanish Matlock posted:

Oh, I want to try!

Thirst, desire to drink first.
First, drink to desire thirst.

Pachyderms, thou art like germs.
Germs, like art though pachyderms.

Wait, don't be that truly great!
Great, truly that bee don't wait...

Ok, it's hard... :argh:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Also has anybody out there weaponized were creatures? I like to build cells that are separated from my main entrance by a drawbridge and lock any dwarf I have that's been bitten in there. If there's trouble at the gates and a full moon hits I throw the switch on the cells and unleash them. I find they don't survive often since they end up going up against sieges and megabeasts and poo poo but on the rare occasions they do just wait until they change back and lock them up in the cell.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013
You could perhaps upgrade the release mechanism with minecarts in order to propel the were creatures more forcefully towards the foe. This would get them into melee in the shortest time to maximize the amount of the fight spent in were form.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Rotekian posted:

Fat Bottom || in thrones sat
Sat thrones || in Bottom Fat

Would seem to be a bit closer to the description.

Bzzzt. 6 syllables in each line and no rejection of consolation in the second line.

Maybe reversing word order works better in dwarfish.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Do we know much about the grammar of dwarfish? Word order and antecedents and conjugations and so forth? I can't remember ever encountering it outside of naming.

Rotekian
Jan 1, 2013

Maugrim posted:

Bzzzt. 6 syllables in each line and no rejection of consolation in the second line.

Maybe reversing word order works better in dwarfish.

The 6 syllables is a fair complaint so:

Fat Bottom, in two thrones sat
Sat thrones, two in Bottom Fat

I'm not sure you can fail it on intent. I think the repetition itself serves as a rejection of consolation. This might be more obvious when read out loud, but imagine extra emphasis in the second line. As someone restating the same point more loudly to prevent someone from responding.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Looks like masterwork updated smoothly to 42.x. Shame about mephs impending sham trail for blaspheming.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Average Bear posted:

Looks like masterwork updated smoothly to 42.x. Shame about mephs impending sham trail for blaspheming.

This is the second time someone mentioned this. Is there a link to a forum post or something that would explain WTF? :psyduck:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Goncyn posted:

This is the second time someone mentioned this. Is there a link to a forum post or something that would explain WTF? :psyduck:

Not much to mention, he's a combination of Lance Armstrong and Salman Rushdie. Also, yeah, MWDF is 40.24, but it still hasn't updated to the new version and it'll probably be some months before it does. Even after a year, Meph was too busy to get MW back to pre-DF2014 levels of functionality so I'm not expecting much from the eventual DF2015 version. Doubly so if Toady really is on the verge of 64-bit stuff.

Which reminds me that I need to download an old copy of MWDF and figure out how to transport "make full set of clothing/armor" over to a standard DF game. I should be able to manually add the reaction to an existing workshop, right?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm dying for another update to Dwarf Therapist. Managing my squads is agony without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Prop Wash posted:

Not much to mention, he's a combination of Lance Armstrong and Salman Rushdie.

I have no idea who either of those guys are nor what their combination would be. :v: