Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I decided to do the Ecologist one this time. It's weird not shredding a dozen mercs going through the Wild Territory. But the starting pistol is actually really good, I've killed a lot of mutant groups. I got a 7.62x39 Groza, but it's like 12k to repair even after getting the first 2 tools for the Duty trader. So now I'm just using a 74SU with the weird upside-down scope. Hopefully I'll be able to get something more accurate soon, although without the mercenaries to farm ammo off of, I'm not going to have nearly as much 5.56 as in a normal run.

It's pretty great getting about 5x the amount from mutant parts from Sakharov as Sidorovich. My current goals are 1) Get a better gun so I can snipe reliably, 2) Get a suit to hunt artifacts (already got a veles), 3) Get some combat armor. Actually, 0) play the poo poo out of the Killing Floor 2 weekend.

E: I forgot, I have an AEK-973, just not the rubles to repair it or an ammo stockpile for the 7.62.

I can't how one doesn't wind up with a huge stockpile of the 7.62 after a few runs into the zone. :psyduck:

Then again, people might not be as obsessive as I am about unloading guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: I forgot, I have an AEK-973, just not the rubles to repair it or an ammo stockpile for the 7.62.

The AEK is a beast, it may not be the best sniping rifle but you can put ungodly amounts of cheap lead downrange. Never ever get rid of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

I can't how one doesn't wind up with a huge stockpile of the 7.62 after a few runs into the zone. :psyduck:

Then again, people might not be as obsessive as I am about unloading guns.

I'm about 1-2 hours into it, and a lot of that was in friendly territory shooting mutants or gaming the economy. Who tends to use a lot of 7.62? When I did a Loner run, it seemed like all of the bandits used 5.45, and so did most military guys.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Minarchist posted:

The AEK is a beast, it may not be the best sniping rifle but you can put ungodly amounts of cheap lead downrange. Never ever get rid of it.

I still prefer the AK105 or the AKSU for the stock folding animation. Animation Quality > Uh, everything else.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

fennesz posted:

Animation Quality > Uh, everything else.

:agreed:

But for just for fun, if you have a spare AEK, mod it for max fire rate and recoil management. It shoots so stupidly fast you'll burn through a 40 round mag in no time at all.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm about 1-2 hours into it, and a lot of that was in friendly territory shooting mutants or gaming the economy. Who tends to use a lot of 7.62? When I did a Loner run, it seemed like all of the bandits used 5.45, and so did most military guys.

It's not as common, but sometimes you get the odd bandit toting an old-school AK-47 or AKM.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I've also found that the Groza chambered in 7.62 is insanely fast firing and has virtually no recoil once you mod it a bit. I was looking for a light rifle just to use as a grenade launcher and it ended up being even better than I had anticipated.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Duty loves the 7.62 rifles as well, but you might not wanna piss them off.

Dark valley is the best spot to farm :ussr: calibers, since you've got the big bandit bunch up by the north edge of the map, and there's a bunch of military dudes camping out at the entrance to the X lab.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
With the most updated AO3 for CoC, Nimble doesn't sell Tide (the special VSS)? :(

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I shot some zombies in Yantar and looted some zombies others shot. After tactical use of repairing and gunsmith tools, I now have an AK-12, AEK-973, VSK-94, sphere helmet with upgraded night vision, and about 90k credits. And I haven't even gotten the last load of guns out of Yantar yet. I was going to, but bandits invaded the Wild Territory, and by the time I was done looting them I was full again. I think the next step once I get the last load here and sold off is to go down to Cordon, see about getting something special from Nimble.

What are the pros/cons to the VSK-94 vs VSS?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are the pros/cons to the VSK-94 vs VSS?

I don't remember what the VSK is like at long range but I'm almost positive the VSS has way more flatness and a bit more accuracy. I actually prefer the AS Val for ranged work purely because the flatness is really bad which kind of makes it easier to "lob" shots at range.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The VSS's scope can be upgraded not only to be better than the attachable ones on the VAL/other weapons, but it can also get a tracking computer which (when it works) highlights other entities like the binoculars.

Edit: vvv Wow yeah that's completely unheard of in all the years I've gravitated towards the VSS. Crazy-sounding bug :raise:

Morter fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 11, 2015

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Last time I tried to use it, upgrading the scope to high zoom also mirrored it vertically. This was somewhat difficult to aim.

Your experience may differ.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but this ecologist stuff sounds fun, what mod are you talking about?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Call of Chernobyl has the Ecologists as one of 9 different playable factions.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ecologists are friends with everyone except Bandits and Monolith.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Call of Chernobyl with the Arsenal Overhaul mod. Call of Chernobyl lets you pick from any of the factions to play as. Each has their own starting zone and equipment. AO3 adds a ton of guns and (I think) rebalances the economy so a gun in perfect or near-perfect condition is worth a lot of money.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

landofcake posted:

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but this ecologist stuff sounds fun, what mod are you talking about?

Here you go, http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl + http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/arsenal-overhaul-3-for-coc-1224

and a must have imo; http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/immersion-ruining-radio-mod-10

Yeah, like the above posts, Ecologists are science dudes in the zone doin' science. Everyone loves science dudes, you're like the Bill Nye or Neil DeGrasse Tyson of the Zone.
Only people that you need to worry about are Bandits who want to take your poo poo and religious fanatics... hmmm.

Anyways, with an Ecologist I finally got the Wealthy Client achievement, which triggers at 1 Million RU :v:

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 11, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Honestly, the best thing about ecologist so far is you start with a 15 round .45 instead of a makarov. It's actually useful, I'm debating whether to hold on to it or use a shotgun as a secondary at this point.

Sakharov also pays a huge amount for mutant parts. Ecologist basically lets you skip the worst part of the earliest game, while loner gives you no technician and bloodsuckers under the bridge outside of camp.

And the military has helicopters. Which is kind of dumb since the whole CoP plot was trying to rescue people from crashed helicopters.

I got some stack overflow crashes yesterday in the bar. Am I right to think that it's because there is so much going on there and there is some small memory leak that adds up in that area?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 11, 2015

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The plot in COP is sort of predicated on the Military using the helicopters being idiots/unexperienced and not realizing/being told that anomalies change positions so any information they've got is completely useless the second they get it.

The really stupid thing about the plot is that the SBU doesn't realize this is why the helicopters crash, or at least didn't plan for it. Maybe they just assumed that something else had to happen since what kind of fuckwits don't know Zone 101 stuff like "Anomalies move"?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ddraig posted:

The plot in COP is sort of predicated on the Military using the helicopters being idiots/unexperienced and not realizing/being told that anomalies change positions so any information they've got is completely useless the second they get it.

The really stupid thing about the plot is that the SBU doesn't realize this is why the helicopters crash, or at least didn't plan for it. Maybe they just assumed that something else had to happen since what kind of fuckwits don't know Zone 101 stuff like "Anomalies move"?

I like to think as much as the government gives ecologists grants or whatever for their expeditions and research they still think most of what they say is superstitious and pseudoscience nonsense.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ddraig posted:

It's funny to me that the whole plot of CoP revolved around figuring out why like four choppers crashed but here I am in CoC singlehandedly responsible for shooting down two dozen helis with my AK.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Saint Sputnik posted:

It's funny to me that the whole plot of CoP revolved around figuring out why like four choppers crashed but here I am in CoC singlehandedly responsible for shooting down two dozen helis with my AK.

Bullets are the ultimate anomaly. They move and show up in places you didn't expect.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
@Ddraig

Is that exo that's being worked on anything like this?

or this?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

That's some really garish colouring.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Terran Republic wants their armor back.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MariusLecter posted:

@Ddraig

Is that exo that's being worked on anything like this?

or this?

Egad, that's as ugly as poo poo.

Nah, the exoskeleton we're using is based on the exoskeleton concept that was planned for Stalker 2

Sapo
Dec 1, 2010

I'm a month late on music chat but the aforementioned kino is good bandit camp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72IK52FMPTs

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtNuINZhvdg is already a stalker video

and yanka for good measure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2KMKr5YSw

Sapo fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 12, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

About 5 hours in, I now have 220k rubles, an exoskeleton, an upgraded AK12, FNP 45, the unique saiga, and a sniper rifle coming from Nimble. I sold the AEK to fund my visit to Nimble, but I'll find another. I'm not sure what to get for 5.56, if anything.

Basically, in CoC with AO3, give both sets of tools to a technician, and then buy basic tools whenever you see them. Use the tools to get valuable low-condition weapons fixed up, finish at the technician. If you're lucky you can turn a 12k profit on one gun. 10k is more common for valuable guns, 5k for run of the mill AKs. Most pistols aren't worth it.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Ddraig posted:

Egad, that's as ugly as poo poo.

Nah, the exoskeleton we're using is based on the exoskeleton concept that was planned for Stalker 2

That's fantastic. It looks like a combination of Duty's tier 2 armor and an Exo.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm coming back after a few months. Has anyone made a popular Faction Wars mod or is it still just Call of Chernobyl and AO for the best experience?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's an addon called "Warfare" that is trying to recreate the Faction Wars stuff. I haven't used it personally, but it seems to be pretty highly rated. Not sure how compatible it is with AO, though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the labs just empty in CoC? I went into x18 and there were no mutants and the doors were already unlocked.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are the labs just empty in CoC? I went into x18 and there were no mutants and the doors were already unlocked.

Seems that way for me. Every underground/internal instance seems devoid of life for me save for one way into the agroprom underground? Had a snork or two, a poltergeist (?) and a controller

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dear thread: Don't quicksave during an emission.

Are the 7.62 NATO sniper rifles good enough to 1-hit heavily armored targets? I don't know that I want to use the VSS (for the first time ever in one of these games) so I'm considering maybe getting the G3 SG/1, but I never use 7.62x51 guns in these mods.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Recoils a bitch on all the NATO 7.62 guns, and the soviet ones for that matter. This makes them not very useful for killing large and nasty mutants.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Klaus88 posted:

Recoils a bitch on all the NATO 7.62 guns, and the soviet ones for that matter. This makes them not very useful for killing large and nasty mutants.

They'll drop anything on two legs in one hit most of the time. Mutants should be getting the business end of an auto-shotgun most of the time anyway.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'd be happy to use a revolver if like 4 drums worth didn't out-price the entire loving thing :eyepop:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

I've got Nimble's special saiga for that :getin:

I just tried out the Lynx vs the G3 SG/1. I found something weird. The Lynx gradually returns to the point of aim once you shoot. The G3 doesn't. The AK12 also doesn't. I'm not sure if it's a matter of vanilla guns versus mod or what.

Also, there's a bug I'm not quite sure the conditions for where if you are currently sprinting and drink an energy drink, you'll start gaining energy even though you're sprinting. If you don't stop you can do it the whole length of the energy drink plus however long your stamina lasts after that. Kind of handy.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Where's my century old Nagant AO3 guy? :qqsay:

Minarchist posted:

They'll drop anything on two legs in one hit most of the time. Mutants should be getting the business end of an auto-shotgun most of the time anyway.

Trapper sells a fairly fierce semi-auto, if you feel like walking all the loving way to Jupiter. :argh:

Needs either quick travel, or an easier route to the middle of the zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I ended up buying the G3. It doesn't get the enemy highlighting scope, which is a disadvantage. On the other hand, it get -1.5kg with an upgrade, which makes it roughly the same weight as an assault rifle once loaded with 30 rounds (3.99kg with suppressor). An assault rifle that can drop most human enemies in one shot, takes a suppressor, and has an adjustable zoom scope. Going across garbage, I killed every bandit in the warehouse that had a chance of seeing me on the road and nobody noticed. It really does seem to need a secondary for mutants, though. I'll give it more of a shot later, but I wouldn't want it when faced with a bloodsucker, probably not when faced by a chimera either. Pseudogiant, sure, those things are slow as hell and big.

I'll see what Trapper has when I get on over there. I still need to get the psychic helmet thing from the scientists, turn off the brain scorcher, and get to the north end of the zone.

When not using a sniper rifle, I've been loving the Glock 20 as a secondary. 19 rounds with the upgrade, decently accurate, and powerful. The FNP .45 is also good. If you're going to get a suppressor, go for the FNP. It has high enough sights that you can see the sights over the suppressor, most pistols don't. The main downside of the Glock so far is nobody has ever dropped 10mm ammo. But I have about 800 spare rounds each of FMJ and JHP that I bought from Nimble. It's expensive, but even after buying whatever the hell I want I'm sitting around 600k :homebrew:.

I also was buying any 5.45 or 7.62 AP ammo I see at the trader. I'm currently sitting around 900 rounds of AP, 1200 normal for my AEK-973. I've been saving it for when I know I'm going into a huge firefight, but maybe I need to change that.