Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

Songbearer posted:

I tried, but the vendor sinks into the ground when you adjust the height too severely.

lol :bethesda:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Ddraig posted:

gently caress yes

Can't wait for FO4's version of Robco Certified. This is nice in the meantime.
Hang on I was going to post that. Also just added a compatibility patch for the *other* robot defenders mod added recently (Robot Guardians).

But argh the workshop is such a 'WOW GREAT'/'what the gently caress' thing. The worst thing is the construction ghosts getting 'Order (E)' prompts instead of 'Build (E)' prompts if you add the ability to move or take orders to them. It sort of makes sense, but... argh.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
RobCo Certified was my absolutely favorite NV mod. When I first heard about the crafting system in Fallout 4 I thought "I wonder if Bethesda will do anything with robots?"

Of course they didn't, but I wouldn't trust them to not cock it up completely.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Talkie Toaster posted:

Hang on I was going to post that. Also just added a compatibility patch for the *other* robot defenders mod added recently (Robot Guardians).

But argh the workshop is such a 'WOW GREAT'/'what the gently caress' thing. The worst thing is the construction ghosts getting 'Order (E)' prompts instead of 'Build (E)' prompts if you add the ability to move or take orders to them. It sort of makes sense, but... argh.

drat, this is fantastic by the way. also, how hard to you think it would be to change the model of the eyebots to duraframe eyebots?

I suddenly have a hankering for more companions.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Time to go on an adventure of editing all 773 weapon modules

:suicide:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Are there any mods out to disable the random junk snark from companions?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yeah the Chinese AR was removed largely because :effort:

doesn't explain why the combat rifle uses .45 instead of 5.56 though

Well, is there anything that uses .45 aside from the SMG and Combat Rifle?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

watho posted:

Well, is there anything that uses .45 aside from the SMG and Combat Rifle?
the pipe revolver

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
To my surprise I've decided to uninstall Darker Nights.

The increased darkness made me want to find places to wait until morning or time my fast travel from Sanctuary so it wouldn't be night when I arrived somewhere. It made my options for travel/activity feel a bit too constrained without equipment to deal with it. I don't consider the pip-boy light adequate. It's an area light instead of a longer range directed light facing down your gun. There are also no night vision goggles and I don't want just a scope.

Ultimately I value being able to do what I want when I want over the realism offered by having nights be darker. I assume that is why Bethesda selected the level of brightness they did.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It occurred to me today that one mod I'd love is a radio station that's all of the old-timey covers of modern songs from Bioshock Infinite. Stomping around in power armor while "Everybody wants to rule the world" plays over the sound of plasma rifle fire just seems so appropriate.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It occurred to me today that one mod I'd love is a radio station that's all of the old-timey covers of modern songs from Bioshock Infinite. Stomping around in power armor while "Everybody wants to rule the world" plays over the sound of plasma rifle fire just seems so appropriate.
I've been enjoying the ambient music too much to listen to the radio. That and it mostly seems like everything I've heard from previous games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

vaya con dios

seriously, i'm looking forward to your mod, so good luck

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What's the project?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Inverness posted:

Ultimately I value being able to do what I want when I want over the realism offered by having nights be darker. I assume that is why Bethesda selected the level of brightness they did.

The game was already way too dark for my (admittedly crummy) laptop screen if there was any form of ambient light when I'm playing. It really should have been adjustable like every other game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the project?
the bulk of it is rebalancing weapon recievers to be more consistent and universal (ie a long barrel mod will do the same relative stat modifiers on a combat rifle and a hunting rifle instead of the combat rifle's long barrel mod being 25% better on average because ????) instead of the 2000 pieces of kludge with no clear design purpose
-combating damage inflation by changing "hardened" and "powerful" and advanced recievers to instead increase critical hit generation (barrels are the things that instead increase damage)
-making weapon module modifiers more consistent so base stats can be determined more easily
-having weapon mods have actual tradeoffs, ie less "scroll down to the bottom and craft best mod" with some exceptions ie advanced recievers

[more modularity! w@w]
-rebalanced crafting requirements (on a seperate esp)
-changing base and follower weapon stats and caliber changes on separate esps

i think i have an idea on how to do this poo poo faster, but exploring that will have to wait until tomorrow when i'm not dizzy from the loving awful module value organization

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 14, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the bulk of it is rebalancing weapon recievers to be more consistent and universal instead of the 2000 pieces of kludge with no clear design purpose
-combating damage inflation by changing "hardened" and "powerful" and advanced recievers to instead increase critical hit generation (barrels are the things that instead increase damage)
-making weapon module modifiers more consistent so base stats can be determined more easily
-having weapon mods have actual tradeoffs, ie less "scroll down to the bottom and craft best mod" with some exceptions ie advanced recievers

[more modularity! w@w]
-rebalanced crafting requirements (on a seperate esp)
-changing base and follower weapon stats and caliber changes on separate esps

i think i have an idea on how to do this poo poo faster, but exploring that will have to wait until tomorrow when i'm not dizzy from the loving awful module value organization

I'm actually pretty curious about your idea to make it faster because that would come in handy for my weaponry rebalance as well.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm actually pretty curious about your idea to make it faster because that would come in handy for my weaponry rebalance as well.
i just realized i'm making all of the weapon mods do the same thing across weapon classes (pistol, rifle, shotgun) so i think i could just replicate the same values across the mods in the same weapon class but there isn't a way to copy values wholesale in xedit but realizing that will make me not have to dart back and forth between what mods should do on the text files

nothing magical just a realization of sorts

also they could have just skipped making 25 separate automatic recievers and had an auto/semi trigger action component with the inherent modifiers in automatics :downsgun: but i'll keep that as a note for a possible ~future weapon project~ that may or may not come to fruition if bethesda decides to do the smart thing and release the model formats instead of waiting for people to hack at it

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 14, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone have experience with loving around with the keyword system? Due to the way weapon modding works, it's a little obfuscated. I'm trying to overhaul the perks into having Gunslinger be 1-handed guns, Commando being 2-handed guns, and Rifleman being bolt-action guns or something. I've had luck improving stuff like Heavy Weapons, but there doesn't seem to be a basic "pistol" or "rifle" keyword to base the perks off of.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

(barrels are the things that instead increase damage)

Does this mean that long barrels will be effectively compulsory to keep up with damage? I know it's 'realistic' to do more damage via having a longer barrel, but aesthetically I like having some of my weapons be short and handy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Inverness posted:

I've been enjoying the ambient music too much to listen to the radio. That and it mostly seems like everything I've heard from previous games.

Yeah I was a little disappointed that most of the songs are just recycled from Fallout 3, and I was sort of annoyed at the massive amount of "look it's 1950s NUCLEAR music!" that was going on in that game. Civilization is this game's Johnny Guitar. I miss Mr. New Vegas.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Does this mean that long barrels will be effectively compulsory to keep up with damage? I know it's 'realistic' to do more damage via having a longer barrel, but aesthetically I like having some of my weapons be short and handy.
one of the aims is to reduce damage inflation, which means everything will do less damage. this may be a problem so i will also adjust base weapon stats to compensate, but that will be optional

here's one of the things i'm talking about when it comes to tradeoffs:

stubby barrel reduces damage but also reduces AP cost and increases hipfire accuracy
short barrel is baseline
longer barrel increases damage and improves sight accuracy but also slows accuracy recovery and increases AP cost and adds weight
light barrel decreases weight and increases accuracy recovery, but bloom (inaccuracy per sustained fire) and recoil increases (negates two of longer barrel's drawbacks for increased bloom and recoil)
ported barrel reduces effective range for reducing bloom and recoil (negates light barrel's drawback in exchange for -range)

effective range of weapons will be made a little closer to each other in regards to barrels since there will be less things that arbitrarily modify range

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 14, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's just that with the game's armour model damage-per-shot is really important.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

It's just that with the game's armour model damage-per-shot is really important.
it is, and the fact that chip damage is as low as 5% :downs: doesn't really help either, but I kind of want recievers to do specific things instead of huagha;guhga;lgu bake extra damage on everything and when someone wants to put their own damage tweaks in it falls the gently caress apart because they don't take to account that the recievers already increase damage

they should have gone with a 100/100+N DR system like in diablo or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to put AP on weapon parts? Some guns might ignore part of the enemy's armour. That'd be a way to make miniguns etc usable against late-game enemies without inflating their damage.
It even makes 'sense' for low-calibre-high-velocity stuff like 5mm to have AP.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yes

the problem is that effective AP is capped for low damage weapons (why?) and no matter how much AP you put on a component the 8 damage minigun will do guaranteed minimum damage vs. 100 DR and there's no way to change this

they managed to make armor more lopsided than NV's anti-automatic bias and that's a loving achievement in itself

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I guess add unresistable damage to each bullet then? Say 3pts bleed damage or whatever.

Could even apply this to all bullets for verisimilitude. It's just that on a .50 cal sniper the 3pts of bleed is pretty unimportant, whereas on a rapid-fire weapon it might end up constituting a large part of the final damage.

I know some people have created new Legendary effects, and others have turned Legendary into a mod slot. So it should be theoretically possible.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 14, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

that's possible but the enchantment system is woefully incomplete for fo4edit right now

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Ddraig posted:

gently caress yes

Can't wait for FO4's version of Robco Certified. This is nice in the meantime.

Do the mister handies in this mod work like the ones in Graygarden?

I like to build private homes/bases away from my settlements to keep the NPC settlers out of my poo poo, but that means I also have to manually take care of my farms and water pumps.

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know if it's possible to make the gauss rifle automatic? I've been poking around using FO4edit and I can add a receiver that adds the keywords for automatic fire etc, but I can't seem to find what holds the key to the charging mechanism that keeps it from actually being automatic.
I'm assuming it's not possible to mess with until the F4CK comes out, I'd love to have it keep the charging animations but spin up like the minigun to fire, though lowering the damage to something not game breaking.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

RaspberryCommie posted:

Do the mister handies in this mod work like the ones in Graygarden?

I like to build private homes/bases away from my settlements to keep the NPC settlers out of my poo poo, but that means I also have to manually take care of my farms and water pumps.

I don't know if the robots will farm or not, but there's a 3 food 3 water brewbot as part of that mod so you can just build half a dozen of those and not worry about farmers at all

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Inverness posted:

To my surprise I've decided to uninstall Darker Nights.

The increased darkness made me want to find places to wait until morning or time my fast travel from Sanctuary so it wouldn't be night when I arrived somewhere. It made my options for travel/activity feel a bit too constrained without equipment to deal with it. I don't consider the pip-boy light adequate. It's an area light instead of a longer range directed light facing down your gun. There are also no night vision goggles and I don't want just a scope.

Night Person rank 2 gives night vision during sneak, which is sort of a best of both worlds situation, but you pretty much have to console add/remove it manually all the time because Bethesda didn't think to make it keyable, if, say, it's 7PM and still light, or there's a lot of lights inside.

I actually really like how it put me into a dynamic of 'hunting' almost only at night to avoid detection, then looting during the day on my stealth sniper. If I start running out of night time halfway through clearing a location, there's a good chance I'll die.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Songbearer posted:

Thanks so much for this. It made my clinic a lot more natural looking:

It went from having a big-rear end, clunky looking lemonade stand in a tiny infirmary to the more realistic scenario of having to bother the poor doctor while she's doing an inventory check whenever I need stims. I had to prop it on top of a footlocker due to the height difference but it looks so much nicer now :3:

This is great, do you mind uploading it to the user images on the mod page?

Also, just spent too much time doing this:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Amstrad posted:

This is great, do you mind uploading it to the user images on the mod page?

And done! It's such a simple but effective mod.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Made a mod to boost up the .50 receiver on the Hunting Rifle, if you want that without a bunch of other changes to weapons then go nuts: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/5855

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Do any mods add clear clear glass ceilings or floors with minimal framing? The Greenhouse mod kind of does the trick, but there's a lot of wood blocking light in each ceiling block.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Did someone say in the thread that Bethesda were looking to release the GECK for February next year?

If so, do you think there might be two versions? One for work on PC and one for work on consoles? Or do you think it will be one streamlined interface for both? I cannot remember if they said they were just going to allow consoles to use mods or actually create them.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Did someone say in the thread that Bethesda were looking to release the GECK for February next year?

If so, do you think there might be two versions? One for work on PC and one for work on consoles? Or do you think it will be one streamlined interface for both? I cannot remember if they said they were just going to allow consoles to use mods or actually create them.

As far as I have heard it will be a PC version first then they will release versions that let you create mods for the console versions BUT the kit will only be for pc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For someone with more modding experience than me, what the hell is wrong with something?

I've been trying to make a compatability patch for Armorsmith Extended and Crafting Workbenches, and I've created a new keyword in FO4Edit for Gloves, assigned it to the Clothing Crafting Workbench, and it shows up fine in game and you can make gloves and everything..

But once I enter that particular category ingame, I cannot tab back out to the higher level. I figure I've probably forgotten to change a reference somewhere... anyone know what it could be?

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
Having an odd problem here.

Trying a quick and dirty solution for walls with windows by adding transparent areas to wall textures, but :-

The mini-fig is correct (3 rectangular "holes") but the actual built item is solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ddraig posted:

For someone with more modding experience than me, what the hell is wrong with something?

I've been trying to make a compatability patch for Armorsmith Extended and Crafting Workbenches, and I've created a new keyword in FO4Edit for Gloves, assigned it to the Clothing Crafting Workbench, and it shows up fine in game and you can make gloves and everything..

But once I enter that particular category ingame, I cannot tab back out to the higher level. I figure I've probably forgotten to change a reference somewhere... anyone know what it could be?

It might just be a vanilla game bug. Sometimes when I go to make Vegetable Starch I can't tab out and have to reload the game.

• Locked thread