Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thwoompa
Nov 9, 2004

My fanfiction makes baby Jesus cry

Propagandist posted:

I'm at least in the boat where I've not done any dungeons at all, so I've got a lot of content ahead of me to experience. I'm not sure where exactly to get started. I do know that I need to do some dungeons and then kill a gatekeeper in order to access NM dungeons and rake in sweet BBs.

Do I need to do the normals, then elites, then gatemaster or should I skip the normals? I'm in QL10 blues with some 10.1 purples from the issues, and two QL10 purple custom weapons.

You can skip the normals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Normal dungeons are just pre-"level cap" (as in tuned for lower than QL10) dungeons, at QL10 you can do elites directly. Nightmares are unbalanced poo poo for people who want more stuff to do at QL10+, elites supposedly prepare you for that (as in: they don't, but you need to beat them to unlock nightmares via gatekeeper anyway).

orcane fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 9, 2015

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Morglon posted:

The later dungeons don't even come in normal anymore, it's just the first few but those can be skipped if you want to. I think it's a little detrimental since you probably won't take the time to take it all in on elite but it's up to you or ypu could just come back later and perhaps even carry low level people.

My wife and I queued up in Kingsmouth for the first dungeon the other night but no one was running anything on normal. After about 30 minutes we had a higher level player offer to run us through the zone since no one else was wanting to group. After a few minutes we had one more player join us who was also high level. Maybe they were purposely hanging back and only tanking the bosses but it took FOREVER to kill anything in there.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
They may have been not that high then or just terrible, someone with a halfway decent build and some now easy to get basic purps will wreck that poo poo in no time but as I said, better to take your time and take it in anyway. Also dungeons are always very doable by three people if they're built well and just a little overgeared if they also know what they're doing. Just something to keep in mind.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Normal dungeons are just pre-"level cap" (as in tuned for lower than QL10) dungeons, at QL10 you can do elites directly. Nightmares are unbalanced poo poo for people who want more stuff to do at QL10+, elites supposedly prepare you for that (as in: they don't, but you need to beat them to unlock nightmares via gatekeeper anyway).

Yeah I'm not sure how elites prepare you for nightmares. All elites do is add bigger numbers meanwhile nightmares add whole new mechanics and even more numbers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how elites prepare you for nightmares. All elites do is add bigger numbers meanwhile nightmares add whole new mechanics and even more numbers.

The original design, like a lot of MMOs like to do, was to have the challenge ramp up in-dungeon so you'd only start doing 1 or 2 bosses in 1 or 2 dungeons each day to start, replace your gear 1 piece at a time, and eventually move on to clear the entire dungeon.

Polaris 2/6 and Darkness War 5/6 were doable in blues. That's 7 pieces/day. After a few days, you should have enough stuff to move to 5/6 on both and start on HR. 15/18 was a thing, and while everyone has moved too far past it to be a consideration at this point, it shows exactly why most MMOs move to tiered content.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gear tiers and -treadmills are stupid, hth.

If the incompetent hacks at Funcom thought they could do raid-style progression within "hardcore" dungeons, :laffo:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Gear tiers and treadmills work.

Rage against THE MAN all you want, but that's not going to drive sales.

vermicious
Feb 22, 2010

Who is leaving messages on your answering machine?
So I have just jumped back in to TSW after not playing since shortly after release and I have to say I am really impressed with the changes!

My only worry now is whether or not I should be spending black bullion. Is it better to save up for late game or spend some on better gear?

I have only just finished Kingsmouth so I don't have a ton yet, mostly just wondering for future spending.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I have no intention of playing this with other people. I just swing around killing stuff and experiencing the cool story. The dungeon part I'm pretty sad to be missing. At what point (if any), can I solo some of the dungeons? I've made it so far into the fourth zone, and have QL 6 or 7 items.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

yegods posted:

I have no intention of playing this with other people. I just swing around killing stuff and experiencing the cool story. The dungeon part I'm pretty sad to be missing. At what point (if any), can I solo some of the dungeons? I've made it so far into the fourth zone, and have QL 6 or 7 items.

This is actually a pretty common thing in MMOs, and at the all-too-frequent risk of this falling on deaf ears...

Whatever fears or phobias you have about playing with other people need to be eliminated. A good dungeon run in an MMO is the most fun you can have in this entire genre of games. Don't deny yourself of that.

Yes, we've all heard the horror stories. But outside of WoW, bad grouping experiences are definitely the exception to the norm. WoW has millions of players, and concomitantly, the youngest playerbase in the industry. It's a perfect storm for trolling and human shitiness. TSW, on the other hand, is a small, niche game where you translate Latin, investigate clues on the internet, and it's about the furthest demographically you can get from the WoW kiddies. You're surrounded by college-age + people that are almost all going to be helpful and friendly so long as you're not an rear end in a top hat yourself.

Plus, not grouping leaves you largely oblivious to a major layer of MMO's depth. Understanding the finer points of class roles, aggro management, healing, etc can be a nerd's wet dream. It's why we crunch the numbers in the first place.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

yegods posted:

When you log in, do a /chat join sanctuary

It's a channel for newer players to ask questions and stuff. I've been hanging out there and people routinely offer to take scrubs like me along to mooch dungeons.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
When I was running dungeons daily I would avoid any LFG that looked like the person forming was a total rear end in a top hat. It takes a lot to say "Hey guys, I take games way to seriously and need to get this dungeon done in less than 15 minutes; nevermind that I've been advertising this for the last 2 hours and could have got it done already if I wasn't such a huge dick fest, but being the human equivalent of cancer is what I really really enjoy in games" in a LFG statement, but I've seen it done so I know it's entirely possible.

I never really cared if we finished our dungeon or not. I would usually jump on the "new to nightmare" or "chill run" adverts. I knew those people usually were without any sort of ego issue, if anything they were usually too nice and not wanting to call a failed run too soon.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Propagandist posted:

/chat join #sanctuary

The hashtag is important (I assume; just realized I don't know for sure!). But yes, from my limited experience the people in #Sanctuary all seem friendly and generally laid-back. It can take a while to put a group together, since the population is so small, but dungeons are fun, far from ball-breakingly difficult, and have great reward-to-effort. :)

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 10, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

TracerM17 posted:

When I was running dungeons daily I would avoid any LFG that looked like the person forming was a total rear end in a top hat. It takes a lot to say "Hey guys, I take games way to seriously and need to get this dungeon done in less than 15 minutes; nevermind that I've been advertising this for the last 2 hours and could have got it done already if I wasn't such a huge dick fest, but being the human equivalent of cancer is what I really really enjoy in games" in a LFG statement, but I've seen it done so I know it's entirely possible.

I never really cared if we finished our dungeon or not. I would usually jump on the "new to nightmare" or "chill run" adverts. I knew those people usually were without any sort of ego issue, if anything they were usually too nice and not wanting to call a failed run too soon.

That used to be a thing way back in DDO. You had these turbospergs who'd rage and bitch at every turn and barely manage to get anything done and the drunk runs as in everybody's drunk, we're doing all the raids and also shots at certain points and those would never ever have trouble finishing poo poo and were also super fun. I miss those days.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Sometimes goon runs went really well, like 15 minute 18's with a babbie along for the ride. Not the fastest on the block, but good enough to boost our ego. Then sometimes goon runs go horribly wrong, in the best ways. I think we had a Polaris run take almost an hour, and we didn't even kill Fun-thulhu. Tons of laughs, good times.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Ghost of Starman posted:

The hashtag is important (I assume; just realized I don't know for sure!). But yes, from my limited experience the people in #Sanctuary all seem friendly and generally laid-back. It can take a while to put a group together, since the population is so small, but dungeons are fun, far from ball-breakingly difficult, and have great reward-to-effort. :)

If you are looking for dungeon runs also join #noobmares. Post that your new and you want to do polaris nightmare. I know that Hell Raised (or hell fallen) and facility are one of the tougher dungeons, so you probably wont get as many takers for those ones.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
The thing with one of the hell things is that you need like the entire party to have a shotgun and one specific skill to clear some debuff or something and that needs to be coordinated. Was lucky that one of the earlier bosses dropped one when people were doing it with me and I was using an assault rifle as my weapon so I was able to do whatever the gently caress I wanted with my second weapon. Don't know if that's still a thing but that's something to look out for before doing nightmares but I'm sure if you ask before you start people will tell you and probably help you with poo poo.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Morglon posted:

The thing with one of the hell things is that you need like the entire party to have a shotgun and one specific skill to clear some debuff or something and that needs to be coordinated. Was lucky that one of the earlier bosses dropped one when people were doing it with me and I was using an assault rifle as my weapon so I was able to do whatever the gently caress I wanted with my second weapon. Don't know if that's still a thing but that's something to look out for before doing nightmares but I'm sure if you ask before you start people will tell you and probably help you with poo poo.

The skill's called Cleanup, and I only ever needed mine :smuggo: :leechcrew:

okay we'd take two but it was very rare that a dps would burn to death with just mine

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I have forgotten almost everything about the story since I started. All I'm remembering at the moment is
I ate a bee and he made me immortal and now they whisper to me
The Filth is like anti-life or something
The Orochi Group is like Umbrella Corp or Abstergo
Kingsmouth is hosed, Egypt is hosed, and Tokyo is really hosed

I feel like there's probably a lot more enjoyable detail in there that I've forgotten, and I have an itch to read up on it. For instance, I don't know what the Black Signal is, I don't remember who Lilith is, I don't know who the dreamers are, and I don't remember even doing Issue 7. Is there a good resource somewhere to catch up or get an involved synopsis? All I can find while googling is just Lore entries, which are the buzzing entries you pick up in game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Propagandist posted:

I have forgotten almost everything about the story since I started. All I'm remembering at the moment is
I ate a bee and he made me immortal and now they whisper to me
The Filth is like anti-life or something
The Orochi Group is like Umbrella Corp or Abstergo
Kingsmouth is hosed, Egypt is hosed, and Tokyo is really hosed

I feel like there's probably a lot more enjoyable detail in there that I've forgotten, and I have an itch to read up on it. For instance, I don't know what the Black Signal is, I don't remember who Lilith is, I don't know who the dreamers are, and I don't remember even doing Issue 7. Is there a good resource somewhere to catch up or get an involved synopsis? All I can find while googling is just Lore entries, which are the buzzing entries you pick up in game.

A lot of of the lore on this game relies on inference and personal reading comprehension so the solution is clear:

Make an alt, replay everything :getin:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Captain Oblivious posted:

A lot of of the lore on this game relies on inference and personal reading comprehension so the solution is clear:

I wish we could reset the blue story missions or just play through them again in simulations or something.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wish we could reset the blue story missions or just play through them again in simulations or something.

IIRC they added this awhile back.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Cheston posted:

I know they were planning on doing it but if they actually did I missed it and have no idea where to do them. If they did that's awesome though I really have to go look for that poo poo.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

TSW - The Dark Souls of MMOs

Edit: hey, and the player characters are kind of like the Chosen Undead, too! :aaa:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

The wife and I have around 30 hours played so far and are almost through all the missions in The Savage Coast. Problem is that I am earning XP at a faster rate than her and the problem is only getting worse because missions that are normal to me are hard to her. Our gear is almost identical, our AP purchases are similar. The only difference I can see is with SP. I have only gone down one side of each weapon skill and she has gone down both. So I am at 4 SP in Pistols(damage), Blades(damage), and Chaos(survivability). She has done Assault Rifles (3 damage, 2 healing), Fist Weapons (3 damage, 2 healing), and shotguns.

I had he do a couple of side quests solo to trying to catch up xp wise but even with the same amount of XP both quests and mobs are conning harder for her than me. So I get more XP for each kill than she does. Is the SP disparity what's causing the different difficulty levels for us? If so, is there an easy fix for this? I'd like to be able to continue to duo through the storyline but it's frustrating that we have to keep going back and trying to get her extra xp to stay up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

The wife and I have around 30 hours played so far and are almost through all the missions in The Savage Coast. Problem is that I am earning XP at a faster rate than her and the problem is only getting worse because missions that are normal to me are hard to her. Our gear is almost identical, our AP purchases are similar. The only difference I can see is with SP. I have only gone down one side of each weapon skill and she has gone down both. So I am at 4 SP in Pistols(damage), Blades(damage), and Chaos(survivability). She has done Assault Rifles (3 damage, 2 healing), Fist Weapons (3 damage, 2 healing), and shotguns.

I had he do a couple of side quests solo to trying to catch up xp wise but even with the same amount of XP both quests and mobs are conning harder for her than me. So I get more XP for each kill than she does. Is the SP disparity what's causing the different difficulty levels for us? If so, is there an easy fix for this? I'd like to be able to continue to duo through the storyline but it's frustrating that we have to keep going back and trying to get her extra xp to stay up.

Just go back and redo some early stuff in the zone when it comes off cooldown and tell her to just do 1 side of the SP track. You'll probably still be a little ahead, but she'll be fine.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Yeah, the game judges difficulty by the highest QL gear you can equip. Drop some SP on fleshing out the other half of your weapon skills or a new weapon while she gets the 4 SP rank of a couple of weapons and it should straighten things out.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah, your wife has been doing it "wrong". She needs to just work her way up one track for now, and preferably the damage one at that. The healing/support tree can wait til later, even if her goal is to be the healer/support person. I know this because I made the same mistake on one of my characters.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Cheston posted:

I did some googling, replaying story missions is in for tokyo story missions only, not all of them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Brave New World posted:

Yeah, your wife has been doing it "wrong". She needs to just work her way up one track for now, and preferably the damage one at that. The healing/support tree can wait til later, even if her goal is to be the healer/support person. I know this because I made the same mistake on one of my characters.

Yeah we were trying to build complementing characters similar to what we do in other mmos. I am usually a healer so I got some tank and dps abilities while she went healing and dps. We didn't really read too much into the game before diving in because part of the fun is figuring stuff out. I didn't know it was possible to hinder your progress based on where you put SP.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Yeah we were trying to build complementing characters similar to what we do in other mmos. I am usually a healer so I got some tank and dps abilities while she went healing and dps. We didn't really read too much into the game before diving in because part of the fun is figuring stuff out. I didn't know it was possible to hinder your progress based on where you put SP.
If you want to level with one of you DPSing and the other supporting, try an Assault Rifle leech build. Defensive target the other person and you can do respectable damage while still keeping the other up. Bonus: guaranteed crit Transfuse Animas are hella satisfying!

This has been Lefin's contractually mandated once-a-year TSW post, thanks for reading!

Amante fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 14, 2015

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I hated that leech was cool and fun till you got to Tokyo where it rapidly became unfunny

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Anyone know of any good RP groups in TSW? I've played tabletop NWoD, and I'm jonesin' for an RP fix, but there's no groups in my area. How's the RP climate?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Turning to a MMO for your RP fix is like turning to krokodil for a drug fix; the only worse thing you could do (in both cases) is LARP. Start a local group or find an online group through something like Roll20 or a PBP forum. You might also look into Unknown Armies as an alternative to WoD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There are no good RPers.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I once ran across two people having sex in the back of the Kingsmouth airport. That's my TSW RP story peace out

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Awww. Okay, duly noted. I didn't know about Roll20, I'll give that a shot.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I remember hearing about the tsw-rp community or something. Not sure about the quality of player, as I don't know how to judge RP'rs. The website appears active, might be a good place to start looking?

link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone know of any good RP groups in TSW? I've played tabletop NWoD, and I'm jonesin' for an RP fix, but there's no groups in my area. How's the RP climate?

1) Roll on Arcadia. It's the game's main RP server, and the population is pretty active there. I don't RP myself, so I don't have any idea how "good" RP is in TSW, but I can verify that it's a pretty well populated server.

2) Never ask goons in MMO HMO about RP. You'll only get laughed at. The goon demographic is pretty much the antithesis of the RP demographic.

• Locked thread