Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
That was another sweet episode. Some nice worldbuilding, Earth isn't as hosed up as I had expected, but that could simply be a function of that location's proximity to Gjallarhorn. Also, Mika really needs some character development, he needs a harsh lesson that he can't solve every problem by simply hitting them with a big stick. The bonds of hatred stand in the path of Akihiro and Masashiro's reconciliation. Speaking of big sticks, I miss the piledriver mace, that thing could have definitely put a dent into the Gusion.

Akihiro and Lafter really need to get together, they make the best couple. I think Naze is the type to take an amicable divorce.

One thing I am worried about is that the story is getting a bit convoluted and unwieldy, do we really need to spend this much screen time on these two-bit pirates and Akihiro (who has barely been an emotional character thus far)? It's hard to tell this early in the story arc, but right now it feels like the series is spinning its wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I think with as relatively important as Akihiko has been recently, him getting a character arc isn't too bad. He's been running as Mikazuki's backup since they acquired the Graze.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Phobophilia posted:

Also, Mika really needs some character development, he needs a harsh lesson that he can't solve every problem by simply hitting them with a big stick.

No, see that's the point of the Orga-Mika partnership. Mikazuki doesn't have any problems. Orga has problems, and Mikazuki (and his big stick) is how he solves them.

If/when Orga gets taken out, THEN Mika's going to have to grow a brain and start figuring poo poo out for himself. Or maybe he won't. Actually, I could see them going the route where rather than growing into a leader type on his own, Mika could end up just switching his loyalty to someone else, probably Kudelia.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

TheManSeries posted:

The fact Tekkadan being slammed for not having a doctor is a nice detail piece.

This is actually a point Gundam series in general don't seem to address much. I guess maybe because suits typically getting defeated by outright blowing them up means that pilot death is almost always assumed (until its revealed they dramatically escaped), so the narrative never needs a doctor or nurse all that often.

The sheer contrast between Mars and Earth is kinda astounding though - at least what Gjallahorn's Seven Stars seem able to afford. Whilst Mars looks deprived even by our current standards, Fareed's living it up in a city that's right out of Star Trek.

Also, Kebayan looks like Ganon.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
When i think convoluted, I think "Who is Xenohort" from Kingdom Hearts. The crew is just on their way to Earth, and are butting heads with pirates there. Not sure what's so complicated about that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

When i think convoluted, I think "Who is Xenohort" from Kingdom Hearts. The crew is just on their way to Earth, and are butting heads with pirates there. Not sure what's so complicated about that.

More to the point, pirates hired as mercenaries by Gjallarhorn who serve as a worst-case 'what if' for Tekkadan in the same way the Turbines are a best-case one. In terms of both plot and thematics, this is a pretty relevant little arc.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They really are fighting a space-based version of CGS, right down to abused child soldiers with AV systems, who clearly hate everybody in charge. But looking at Masahiro, at least CGS fed the kids enough that they didn't have highly visible ribs.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mika complaining that the sword is a pain in the rear end to use after he tries just bashing the Gusion over the head with it as if it were his mace. :allears:

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I know referencing Gundam tropes isn't that kosher, but I like that this time both Char and Garma agree that the system is hosed and needs to be reformed.

Almiria is cute but for some reason I feel apprehensive about her ultimate fate. Also the Brewers kids - I think the next fight is going to be a real clusterfuck. :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Astro Nut posted:

This is actually a point Gundam series in general don't seem to address much. I guess maybe because suits typically getting defeated by outright blowing them up means that pilot death is almost always assumed (until its revealed they dramatically escaped), so the narrative never needs a doctor or nurse all that often.

I donno. Gundam series have a lot of prominent doctor characters. Not all of them are main characters but they're there.

AGE had a couple, including Asemu's sister and Flit's daughter (not that she did a ton.) 00 had multiples since 00 pilots ended up there a bunch. SEED had a ship's doctor though they weren't a prominant character. UC absolutely did.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I really like that we're 11 episodes in and the real antagonists haven't even shown up yet, since McGillis and Gaelio agree that Gjallarhorn and its system are corrupt.

Also: the engagement is actually a real political engagement because Fareed and Bauduin are both nobles.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Traveller posted:

Almiria is cute but for some reason I feel apprehensive about her ultimate fate.

We know that Gjallerhorn is getting a Gundam. We also know that Gundams were designed with the AV system in mind. We also know the AV operation can only be performed on young children. Both the chocolate man and the man next to the chocolate man keep making a point of how young Almiria is... :tinfoil:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I really like that we're 11 episodes in and the real antagonists haven't even shown up yet, since McGillis and Gaelio agree that Gjallarhorn and its system are corrupt.

Also: the engagement is actually a real political engagement because Fareed and Bauduin are both nobles.

I must have misread the scene, since I thought McGillis and Gaelio were acknowledging that there is some corruption, but overall it's a good setup. Like Riddhe in Unicorn.

W.T. Fits posted:

We know that Gjallerhorn is getting a Gundam. We also know that Gundams were designed with the AV system in mind. We also know the AV operation can only be performed on young children. Both the chocolate man and the man next to the chocolate man keep making a point of how young Almiria is... :tinfoil:

The AV system might get the most out of the Gundam, but I don't think it's a requirement.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

quote:

"We must look at the bigger picture. This expedition to Mars made it clear. The eye of Gjallarhorn does not reach every corner of the remote spheres. And there are buds of corruption like Coral growing inside."
"It's Gjallarhorn's present regime that grew them."
"Yes, you're right."
"But the supremacy of the present regime is also what makes Gjallarhorn. No one is trying to reform the inside."
"That's why we need a chess piece to move. A powerful piece that could shake the regime."
"You're saying that Kudelia Aina Bernstein could be that piece?"
"If so, that's fine too."

My reading is that both of them see Gjallarhorn for the corrupt piece of poo poo that it is, and while Kudelia could be the key to fixing it, she doesn't have to be. Or they're not willing to wait forever.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

I must have misread the scene, since I thought McGillis and Gaelio were acknowledging that there is some corruption, but overall it's a good setup. Like Riddhe in Unicorn.

I'm pretty sure you misread it, they're talking about how they need Kudelia to shake up the system.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

W.T. Fits posted:

Eh, I've been assuming Ein would be getting AV, and be the Gundam Pilot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Mika complaining that the sword is a pain in the rear end to use after he tries just bashing the Gusion over the head with it as if it were his mace. :allears:

tch

drat this show is good. I seriously love the hell out of it.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 14, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah like that touch.

"poo poo that's right, I'm not using a giant gently caress-off mace anymore.'

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

a kitten posted:

drat this show is good. I seriously love the it.

It's so, so good and I really hope it nails the finish.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm pretty sure you misread it, they're talking about how they need Kudelia to shake up the system.

I still feel that they aren't quite full "Gjallahorn be hosed, scrap it all" yet. They see some bad spots that need fixing, but it's not a total loss. All the talk about needing a piece to shake things up is because they can't just shake things up themselves for one reason or another.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Kudelia intends to shake things up to benefit Mars. McGillis wants to shake Gjallarhorn up to reform it. The economic blocs want to shake things up to remove Gjallarhorn.

Kudelia could be taught another harsh lesson. Accidentally go too far removing one leg in the balance of power, and suddenly the vacuum is filled by your erstwhile allies.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

I still feel that they aren't quite full "Gjallahorn be hosed, scrap it all" yet.

They're not, but they're very clearly not actually hostile to Kudelia and are going after her because it's their job. It also doesn't feel like Gjallarhorn proper wants her dead, because that was something Coral and the fat business mogul whose name escapes me had going with her dad - something that McGillis calls out as an example of Gjallarhorn's corruption which needs fixing.

I get the impression that McGillis is committed to the idea of Gjallarhorn's existence as a global peacekeeping organisation and believes it needs to exist to do good but that its purpose is being distorted by internal elements trying to make a profit, and that needs fixing. I don't get the feeling he's anything other than a good cop, albeit a spoilt rich one with no real understanding of how life works for 99% of people.

Remember that Gjallarhorn aren't the ones oppressing Mars, that's the economic blocks. Gjallarhorn's interest in hampering the Martian independence movement lies in the fact that allowing it to go ahead could cause another world war, and their mandate is enforcing peace between the blocks. Kudelia isn't opposed to them except insofar as a) a corrupt subfaction tried to kill her and b) the status quo maintained by Gjallarhorn is what has allowed the economic exploitation of Mars to continue unhindered. Unless McGillis is explicitly anti-Martian-indepedence, there's no reason why their goals can't align. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up allies or at least considering allying before the show ends.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 14, 2015

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Remember that Gjallarhorn aren't the ones oppressing Mars, that's the economic blocks. Gjallarhorn's interest in hampering the Martian independence movement lies in the fact that allowing it to go ahead could cause another world war, and their mandate is enforcing peace between the blocks. Kudelia isn't opposed to them except insofar as a) a corrupt subfaction tried to kill her and b) the status quo maintained by Gjallarhorn is what has allowed the economic exploitation of Mars to continue unhindered. Unless McGillis is explicitly anti-Martian-indepedence, there's no reason why their goals can't align. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up allies or at least considering allying before the show ends.

For sure. During that scene I found myself wondering what would happen to turn McGillis personally aggressive towards Kudelia, since his goals align a little too neatly with hers. I can't believe that the execs would allow the designated Char to team up with the Gundam team. Still, I'd love to see them ally in the future.

On the other hand, it's also possible that McGillis might ally with Kudelia long enough to point her in the right direction to shake things up, then abandon her when she's no longer useful. That seems pretty cold blooded for him at the moment, but McGillis is such a question mark that I can't tell what he's planning and how far he's willing to go.

I don't necessarily mind this new arc--I like Akihiro and the not-Tekkadan kids interest me. But I've been looking forward to Kudelia getting to Earth and getting involved in its politics; this episode is just whetting my thirst. I could really go for some political intricacies right now.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like that the episode set up McGillis as not entirely against Kudelia, while Ein is nursing a murderous grudge against Tekkadan. it does make me wonder who will emerge as a main villain.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viola the Mad posted:

For sure. During that scene I found myself wondering what would happen to turn McGillis personally aggressive towards Kudelia, since his goals align a little too neatly with hers. I can't believe that the execs would allow the designated Char to team up with the Gundam team. Still, I'd love to see them ally in the future.

On the other hand, it's also possible that McGillis might ally with Kudelia long enough to point her in the right direction to shake things up, then abandon her when she's no longer useful. That seems pretty cold blooded for him at the moment, but McGillis is such a question mark that I can't tell what he's planning and how far he's willing to go.

I don't necessarily mind this new arc--I like Akihiro and the not-Tekkadan kids interest me. But I've been looking forward to Kudelia getting to Earth and getting involved in its politics; this episode is just whetting my thirst. I could really go for some political intricacies right now.

An easy thing to answer your first question would be Gaelio dying or being severely injured in a fight against Tekkadan. Mackie and Gaelio are clearly extremely good friends and confidants and Gaelio is already nursing a half-mast hate boner for Tekkadan due to Mika clowning on him twice so far, so a scene where Gaelio rushes in and gets shortened by a head isn't terribly far fetched, especially given the upgrades Barbatos has undergone since the last time they fought. Following such an outcome, I can easily picture a scene where a tearful Almiria asks McGillis "You're going to avenge my brother, right, Mackie?" and the rest flows from there. Kudelia and Tekkadan are pretty inextricably intertwined, so if McGillis declares personal war on Tekkadan Kudelia is similarly a target.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Designated Chars haven't always been outright evil. Harry Ord was a cool dude. Let's let things play out before we start assuming McGillis is gonna turn bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

An easy thing to answer your first question would be Gaelio dying or being severely injured in a fight against Tekkadan. Mackie and Gaelio are clearly extremely good friends and confidants and Gaelio is already nursing a half-mast hate boner for Tekkadan due to Mika clowning on him twice so far, so a scene where Gaelio rushes in and gets shortened by a head isn't terribly far fetched, especially given the upgrades Barbatos has undergone since the last time they fought. Following such an outcome, I can easily picture a scene where a tearful Almiria asks McGillis "You're going to avenge my brother, right, Mackie?" and the rest flows from there. Kudelia and Tekkadan are pretty inextricably intertwined, so if McGillis declares personal war on Tekkadan Kudelia is similarly a target.

I think it's a lot more likely that we'll see Atra and Almiria meet by chance and become best friends while Gaelio is forced to team up with Mika and just acts like a whiny spoilt child for comedy's sake than any of that, given what the show has done so far.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Good episode, and I like how Akihiro is like a shonen hero having to play 2nd fiddle to the designated main character in Mikazuki. Not that that's a knock on Mika, he's great, but I think the dynamic makes me like Akihiro all the more for it. Any other series and he'd be destroying motherfuckers left and right. In this one he's just trying to survive with 3rd rate equipment to work with.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I don't mind that the show is taking its sweet time getting to Earth since at this point I'm way more interested in where they're going with the main cast rather than the broadly defined conflict.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't mind it either - it feels like the opposite of several Gundam shows, where they go to Earth, faff about for ten or so episodes, then go back to space. Lends more weight to visiting where most humanity lives. It also helps emphasize how far Earth is from Mars, even with their fancy space-drives - which, again, gives it more weight. Getting to Earth is going to be a big, big achievement, and at this rate I expect it'll be the finale, or the lead-up to the finale.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Srice posted:

I don't mind that the show is taking its sweet time getting to Earth since at this point I'm way more interested in where they're going with the main cast rather than the broadly defined conflict.

:yeah:

Although I'm also enjoying the politics in the show, there's not really enough information to care about them right now, and the characters are way more interesting.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't mind it either - it feels like the opposite of several Gundam shows, where they go to Earth, faff about for ten or so episodes, then go back to space. Lends more weight to visiting where most humanity lives. It also helps emphasize how far Earth is from Mars, even with their fancy space-drives - which, again, gives it more weight. Getting to Earth is going to be a big, big achievement, and at this rate I expect it'll be the finale, or the lead-up to the finale.

Pretty sure it'll be at the three-quarters mark or earlier. There's a hell of a lot of political fallout to happen once Kudelia reaches Earth and makes her decision. In particular, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Nobliss.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

i like that the episode set up McGillis as not entirely against Kudelia, while Ein is nursing a murderous grudge against Tekkadan. it does make me wonder who will emerge as a main villain.

Well, the show is all about a conflict between generations along with family, so given that we've just been introduced to McGillis's father, had mention of Gaelios, seen his family and learned they're not entirely happy with the direction Gjallarhorn is going in I'd take a guess that the ultimate antagonists will be the old guard of Gjallarhorn, resisting the idea of taking things in a new direction and it causing a final split between them and their kids.

Edit: There's also the fact the the opening song has Fareed showing his dad's face reflected in the knife of a blade he has drawn. Which pretty heavily indicates conflict. I'm also thinking Ein is going to betray or simply abandon Gaelio to join Fareed's dad and the older Gjallarhorn folks to risk getting an alaya-vijnana system despite the even higher risk of rejection or death on the promise of a chance to get revenge on Tekkadan since he said this episode that he'd work with anyone for a chance at revenge. Being as how there's nothing explicitly bad about who he's working with, that means he almost certainly has to jump ship to work with someone he has a problem with down the line. I'm thinking he may actually end up piloting the final, still shadowed and unknown Gundam we're waiting for pics of.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oddly enough, given that Fareed and Gaelio were able to go from Earth to Mars and back in three months, including a few days stay there they probably have about the fastest sub-light drives in the franchise despite taking relatively long as a series to show their passage between destinations. The Megafauna and other ships in G-Reco might be the only ones faster, but I can't recall how long it took them to get to Venus and back. I'm not even sure if it's really indicated in any kind of exact manner during that show to know.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 14, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did we get told exactly why Koudelia wants to go to Earth and I've just forgotten?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yes, multiple times. She is going to Earth to have a diplomatic meeting with the economic blocs, to try to get Mars' economic independence peacefully. She doesn't want Mars to be an exploited shithole, where children are forced to become mercenaries and prostitutes in order to survive.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
She's going to meet with one economic block's leader in particular, the old dude who looks like a Buddhist monk, who is Arbrau's leader. This is because the region of Mars that she and CGS are from belongs to Arbrau specifically. We know from the timeline that Arbrau is the most progressive block with respect to Martian independence, since they were the first to grant their Martian concessions "limited autonomy":

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Arbrau's government grants limited autonomy to its Martian territories.

The Oceanian Federation also recognises the autonomy of its Martian territories.

Last of all, the African Union also recognises Martian autonomy. However, as Mars remains subject to harsh economic agreements, it is in fact entering an era of puppet governments.

On Mars, a movement begins to protest economic disparities with Earth.

In her speech at the "Noachis July Assembly," Kudelia Aina Bernstein calls for economic independence from Earth, and cooperative movements emerge in every city.

Whatever that means, it doesn't include any real right to self-determination or to use their own natural resources as they see fit.

Per Teiwaz' boss, Arbrau granting real independence to their part of Mars is likely to ignite a wave of similar decolonisation movements and cause open war between the economic blocks by destabilising the already-fragile peace on Earth.

Note that the SAU hasn't even granted their Martian concessions the "limited autonomy" that everyone else's got, they appear to still outright rule Mars as a colony instead of just installing pro-Earth régimes and forcing them to funnel all their natural resources to Earth.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 14, 2015

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kudal is reminding me of Busuzima from Bloody Roar so hard.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
My big worry is a that delaying the trip to Earth would reduce the amount of screentime we could dedicate to the aftermath of Kudelia's and Mika's and Orga's decisions. To me, that's the heart of the story, while Akihiro is a rad guy, ultimately I care more about the main three than the side characters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There's more than enough episodes for that. 26 is way more than enough to reach earth and see the aftermath, even if we spend another few episodes fighting the pirates.

tsob posted:

Oddly enough, given that Fareed and Gaelio were able to go from Earth to Mars and back in three months, including a few days stay there they probably have about the fastest sub-light drives in the franchise despite taking relatively long as a series to show their passage between destinations. The Megafauna and other ships in G-Reco might be the only ones faster, but I can't recall how long it took them to get to Venus and back. I'm not even sure if it's really indicated in any kind of exact manner during that show to know.

Their ship isn't faster. Remember the whole reason why Tekkadan are fighting the pirates in the first place? It's because they had to take the super long way around because Ghallaron controls most of the easy routes to Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Phobophilia posted:

My big worry is a that delaying the trip to Earth would reduce the amount of screentime we could dedicate to the aftermath of Kudelia's and Mika's and Orga's decisions. To me, that's the heart of the story, while Akihiro is a rad guy, ultimately I care more about the main three than the side characters.

Several of the last few episodes have basically been Orga episodes, and this one, despite being Akihiro-centered, included some Orga stuff too. He's been a consistent major focus and as long as the plot involves Tekkadan doing things Orga and his decisions will be a primary focus.

Kudelia returning to her "I'm so useless! :cry:" state is kind of annoying, though.

• Locked thread