Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kadorhal posted:

fun story i actually read one of the reviews on gamestop's website for one of those refurbished ps3's and it was apparently not actually refurbished and even filled with cockroaches
Whereas I had the fortune to get a slim 120 GB the holiday season after the Slim's debut that apparently had just been opened by the GameStop refurb center techs to learn how it worked/what was different. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So in case you weren't watching Playstation Experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZqpIW-XSE

And if that isn't enough

Strangereal is back baby.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/12/05/ps4-exclusive-ace-combat-7-gets-first-awesome-4k-screenshots-and-information/

and here's excerpts from the press release and some upscaled 4k pictures.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Oh baby, those are unmistakably Erusean roundels on those Flankers. Woof. :gizz:

EDIT: On the other hand, the Hornet says USS Theodore Roosevelt...

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

and I shouldn't have jumped the gun on the trailer because here it is at 1080p60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zuBSUJfpBk

Edit: And the F-22 had an Osean roundel too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Suddenly I'm seriously considering buying VR hardware.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well you won't need a VR set for it, their phrasing was off, but there's nothing I want more than to go the full VR experience with this. If any game was meant for it, Ace Combat is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well you won't need a VR set for it, their phrasing was off, but there's nothing I want more than to go the full VR experience with this. If any game was meant for it, Ace Combat is.

Absolutely. Can't wait. Gonna save up for a PS4 now. Was gonna get one anyway when Nier 2 was announced. This game accelerates that timetable.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well I guess if anyone can alleviate fears about the game not being for them because of the VR element, it'd be Kono.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

I will wait to get excited until I get confirmation that there isn't any bullshit mechanics put in place to showcase the VR stuff. I'm not going to go out and buy a PS4 just to experience a new take on DFM, even if it's in strangereal.

If I get that confirmation, I will squeal like a little girl because motherfucking strangereal hell yesssssss.

Has there been any word on a release date? I haven't seen anything yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Hobo on Fire posted:

I will wait to get excited until I get confirmation that there isn't any bullshit mechanics put in place to showcase the VR stuff. I'm not going to go out and buy a PS4 just to experience a new take on DFM, even if it's in strangereal.

lol sorry buddy, that Flanker pulled a DFM evasive straight-up before the Raptor fired on it

e: I should say after playing an awful lot of AH multiplayer on two platforms, DFM is a workable concept and was pretty good for MP in terms of risk:reward but scripted invincibility frames are garbage-ooooo so if they remove that from SP and teach the AI how to counter better, it'll be fine.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 5, 2015

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Psion posted:

lol sorry buddy, that Flanker pulled a DFM evasive straight-up before the Raptor fired on it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugachev%27s_Cobra

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Psion posted:

Yeah but apparently all-aspect XMQAAM4s are now a thing, so it all evens out.

Does anyone who nerds out about planes even more than me tell me about the external weapons pods on the Raptor? Is that a real thing?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh man, hearing that piano arrangement of the Razgriz theme has me super hyped. :allears:

EDIT: Calling that the person in the suit is Nagase.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Does anyone who nerds out about planes even more than me tell me about the external weapons pods on the Raptor? Is that a real thing?

I don't think they've actually been developed yet, but yeah, there was talk at least in the last decade of ordnance pods like that which would let the F-22 carry extra weapons without compromising stealth, then open up to launch the weapons. Far as I can tell those ones in the video are supposed to be them.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah but apparently all-aspect XMQAAM4s are now a thing, so it all evens out.

In addition to what Kadorhal said, the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet's been flown with a non-operational prototype EWP under the fuselage, though they're supposed to be supported underwing (page 15) as with the AC7 trailer's Raptor.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I know what a Cobra is, and it's one of the stock DFM evasive moves in AC:AH. Also the camera tracking was identical to having an enemy pull that particular DFM evasive move on you.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
My dick could cut diamonds right now

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Psion posted:

I know what a Cobra is, and it's one of the stock DFM evasive moves in AC:AH. Also the camera tracking was identical to having an enemy pull that particular DFM evasive move on you.

It's also the single maneuver flankers are most famous for. Seeing it in a pre rendered non gameplay trailer doesn't really mean a thing about the game itself. Especially after Infinity and the AC 2 remaster moved away from Assault Horizon's negative elements. :shrug:

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Going by how often they're mentioned in the trailer, I'm betting the main gimmick for 7 is going to be hiding in clouds to evade enemies or missiles.

Boy I'm going to look stupid if that was already mentioned in the announcement.

Also with the number of missiles coming out of those weapon pods at the same time, I'm thinking they're a new special weapon. We've normally only been able to lock up to 4 or 6 at once, right?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Icedude posted:

Going by how often they're mentioned in the trailer, I'm betting the main gimmick for 7 is going to be hiding in clouds to evade enemies or missiles.

Boy I'm going to look stupid if that was already mentioned in the announcement.

Also with the number of missiles coming out of those weapon pods at the same time, I'm thinking they're a new special weapon. We've normally only been able to lock up to 4 or 6 at once, right?

They already got the Macross designer to do a plane (the ASF-X) so Macross missile pods are the next step, clearly.

Also the highest missile count I can think of is 18 from the ADMM pods in AC6.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

#1 and #2 are what if you swapped out (all in #2, most in #1) the Sidewinders from #3 for the same number of AMRAAMs -- doubling them -- while #4 totes two AMRAAMs, two Sidewinders, two cruise missiles, two anti-radiation missiles, six Laser JDAMs, and eight Small Diameter Bombs. It ain't Strangereal, but drat. (#1 and #2 are artist's conceptions, but #3 and #4 are the Royal Saudi Air Force's F-15SA config of the Strike Eagle.)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Chortles posted:

(#1 and #2 are artist's conceptions)

Isn't that the Eagle++ that Boeing or somebody proposed because the US only bought a fraction of the Raptors we originally planned?

Also, I didn't know there was a way to make the perfect-in-every-way F-15C look ugly, but boy howdy do those conformal fuel tanks do the trick.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Isn't that the Eagle++ that Boeing or somebody proposed because the US only bought a fraction of the Raptors we originally planned?
Yep, under the term "F-15C2040", though I'm not sure if the F-15 Strike Eagle derivatives can support an EWP.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chortles posted:

Yep, under the term "F-15C2040", though I'm not sure if the F-15 Strike Eagle derivatives can support an EWP.
The F-15 Silent Eagle that Boeing has been trying to sell has conformal weapons bays in place of conformal fuel tanks.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Mirificus posted:

The F-15 Silent Eagle that Boeing has been trying to sell has conformal weapons bays in place of conformal fuel tanks.
That's a separate config, though interesting in its own right.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Incidentally, if anyone is still playing ACI, they just added the Silent Eagle if you want to fly the retarded incestuous lovechild of the F-15E and F-22 yourself. Look at this loving thing:

More importantly though, they added a special raid for Excalibur, which improves on the Zero incarnation by adding an insane laser spiderweb you have to fly through at full speed to evade air-to-air UCAVs and rail-mounted TLS systems. It's easily the best Special Raid yet. :black101:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 7, 2015

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Still better than the F-35.

I just can't bring myself to go back to Infinity. The grind was just too much to handle. I'm super loving excited about 7, however. Doubly so since I just got a PS4 and I never had the chance to play 6.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Explosionface posted:

I just can't bring myself to go back to Infinity. The grind was just too much to handle.
Same here, which is a shame since I really did enjoy the Ace Combat experience, Special Raids, the however-brief SP missions and the MP co-op... just not the grind or how Namco handled the paywall.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wonder if we're getting 7 because Infinity failed to meet expectations and they decided to go back to the old model or Infinity exceeded expectations and proved they shouldn't drop the series completely.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't mind the grind all that much, considering I had everything I ever could've wanted, but I just found it annoying to have to log on twice per day to get the usual six flights in. If the max fuel was 6 and I could just do it all in one sitting it would've been a lot better than to have to space out flights.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sindai posted:

I wonder if we're getting 7 because Infinity failed to meet expectations and they decided to go back to the old model or Infinity exceeded expectations and proved they shouldn't drop the series completely.

I've often wondered why they didn't port Infinity to PS4 or PC or something, since I can't imagine the community being active for long if it requires people to connect their old PS3 up again.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is AC7 PS4 only or will it be multiplat and PC?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Sindai posted:

I feel like it's the latter. I'm pretty sure Infinity was the most successful of the F2P entries Namco-Bandai released, and doesn't look like it's going to be shut down soon. Soul Calibur is ending, and I' doubt Ridge Racer and Tekken did much better.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is AC7 PS4 only or will it be multiplat and PC?

Hopefully the latter at some point later. Even if I wouldn't hold my breath since I'm sure ACAH underperformed on the other platforms.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Found this little tidbit elsewhere:
http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/47147449.html

The gist of it:

quote:

the concept is to make better numbered sequel by making sure of what is important for numbered series
AC7 has three axis, first one is drawing of the sky including three-dimensional cloud
another axis is seeking the enjoyment of "airplane-pretend play"(the very first concept of Ace ombat). not a finish move by pushing one button but manoeuvres by piloting
third is enhancing variety of the way to beat missions
return to the fictional world called Strangereal, but want to make it enjoyable for beginners of the series.
the place where the woman stood in PV was so high that people can't go there without pressurised suit
that giant air ship is called "FAS"
screenplay is headed by both Sunao Katabuchi (AC5) and the director of AC4's animations
And Keiki Kobayashi will return for Ace Combat 7

I might not be able to play but hell if I'm not going to enjoy the music. :neckbeard:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

"another axis is seeking the enjoyment of "airplane-pretend play"(the very first concept of Ace ombat). not a finish move by pushing one button but manoeuvres by piloting"

So... That's DFM out then?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

"another axis is seeking the enjoyment of "airplane-pretend play"(the very first concept of Ace ombat). not a finish move by pushing one button but manoeuvres by piloting"

So... That's DFM out then?

That's what I get out of it, so that's only a good thing.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

So, for those besides myself who are still playing Infinity, the next Ranking Event is the rerun of The Unsung War. Which means, another chance to get the F-14A -Razgriz.

Wait, what's that? Yeah. The F-14A -Razgriz- gets renamed to -R1 Blaze-, and the rest of Razgriz Squadron gets their own Tomcats: -R2 Edge-, -R3 Swordsman-, and -R4 Archer-. In addition, the ASF-X -Happy New Year- is back as well, along with a 2016 Skin coming for it (but not as a Ranking Event Prize).

Want one of the new Razgriz Tomcats? TOUGH poo poo, YOU'RE NOT GETTING ONE. They decided to make all four planes limited to the Top 400 Players in the Ranking Event.

Edge is Top 100, Blaze is Top 200, Swordsman is Top 300, and Archer is Top 400. They also decided to make an Emblem limited to THE TOP TWENTY PLAYERS. That's right, The Ghosts of Razgriz #2 Emblem is a Top 20 Prize.

Also, the event isn't restricted to F-14s this time around.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Couldn't they just make it $20 per plane or something?

And I don't know, port this to PS4?

• Locked thread