Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

what's a tank even good for besides being a deathtrap? helicopters are already good enough at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

what's a tank even good for besides being a deathtrap? helicopters are already good enough at that
Carrying fat tankers.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thump! posted:

Holy hell, I'm guessing that smacked right into the fuel tanks?

Ammunition cooked off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

They normally aren't.....when used right. The Syrians love to drive lone tanks into open fields or down tight roads with little to no infantry support, so anyone with a dollar store RPG-29 or one of the 500,000,000 TOWs dropped off in the country can plink them.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Is it like a rule that TOW gunners need to lazily drive the missile in drunk circles before finally dropping it into whatever armored shitbox happens to be trundling past? I never see any shots where it just kind of goes straight, but my only real frame of reference is Battlefield since our D. Co hogged all the TOWs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Could be a javelin

http://youtu.be/a4qpTgfJNJ0

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Dead Reckoning posted:

These uniforms, too clean for Ukrainian separatists. Only airsofters are so immaculate.

:vince:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

They normally aren't.....when used right. The Syrians love to drive lone tanks into open fields or down tight roads with little to no infantry support, so anyone with a dollar store RPG-29 or one of the 500,000,000 TOWs dropped off in the country can plink them.

I"m genuinely curious, what is it about Western tank tactics that would allow us to use them effectively in urban combat? I get that Syrians just sending tanks down the road alone is a recipe for disaster, but if the answer is infantry support then that infantry is going to have to go building-to-building to clear half the city ahead of the drat thing just so those dollar store RPGs and TOWs don't have a shot at it.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 14, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I"m genuinely curious, what is it about Western tank tactics that would allow us to use them effectively in urban combat? I get that Syrians just sending tanks down the road alone is a recipe for disaster, but if the answer is infantry support then that infantry is going to have to go building-to-building to clear half the city ahead of the drat thing just so those dollar store RPGs and TOWs don't have a shot at it.

Pretty much that, ya.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lmao

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is something insanely funny about clearing mud huts with 120 mm of fury

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
Don't they carry Canister shot for it as well? So it's just a giant high velocity shotgun.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Is it like a rule that TOW gunners need to lazily drive the missile in drunk circles before finally dropping it into whatever armored shitbox happens to be trundling past? I never see any shots where it just kind of goes straight, but my only real frame of reference is Battlefield since our D. Co hogged all the TOWs.

Isn't that inflight maneuvering a built in countermeasure? I thought they flew erratically so they were harder to shoot down. I wouldn't be surprised if all TOW gunners were drunk though.

Brown Moses/anyone, have you dug up any footage of a dragon or super dragon in iraq/syria? I need to get my weird rear end popcorn atgm on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Don't they carry Canister shot for it as well? So it's just a giant high velocity shotgun.

There are similar type rounds for pretty much every size gun we have. There are 5" rounds that are basically big shotguns rounds after they explode as well.

Here's a 5" in action. The gunners here certainly pissed off their boatswain mates, though. The black area on deck is a big rubber mat. They put that down so that the powder shells don't dent the deck. All 21 miss the mat and will have hosed up the non-skid on the deck pretty badly where they hit. Within a few days those spots are going to start rusting and there isn't a whole lot that can be done until they re-skid the deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXjshw_eT8

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

An old TC of mine showed me a few pics of when an RPG team in an alley way shot the side of his tank. He called for a can round and lit up the alley way.

Turns out 1200 tungsten balls moving at probably half a click a second shreds the walls of the alley, leaves a dark red smear and some tattered clothing, and turns the mud hut back stop into crazy swiss cheese.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are similar type rounds for pretty much every size gun we have. There are 5" rounds that are basically big shotguns rounds after they explode as well.

Here's a 5" in action. The gunners here certainly pissed off their boatswain mates, though. The black area on deck is a big rubber mat. They put that down so that the powder shells don't dent the deck. All 21 miss the mat and will have hosed up the non-skid on the deck pretty badly where they hit. Within a few days those spots are going to start rusting and there isn't a whole lot that can be done until they re-skid the deck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXjshw_eT8

That seems like a pretty small target for the empty shells... Are they supposed to turn the whole ship just so that the gun is at the right angle to vomit brass onto the rubber? Why not just make the mates bigger?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CAN rounds are made of magic and anger.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Munnin The Crab posted:

That seems like a pretty small target for the empty shells... Are they supposed to turn the whole ship just so that the gun is at the right angle to vomit brass onto the rubber? Why not just make the mates bigger?

The shells will land in almost the exact same spot every time. I've been on both sides of that situation and it isn't hard to put the mats in the right spot. There are more mats that they should have put out. Like they should have put the ones on the starboard side there around the ones on the left.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This answer is acceptable

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

This answer is acceptable

I like the Igloo cooler up top.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, that really completes the look.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

Mr. Nice! posted:

The shells will land in almost the exact same spot every time. I've been on both sides of that situation and it isn't hard to put the mats in the right spot. There are more mats that they should have put out. Like they should have put the ones on the starboard side there around the ones on the left.

Ahh I was under the impression that the mats were immobile, like slotted into an indent in the deck or something.
Wait, now that I think about it more, why doesn't the Navy use combustible cases like tanks do? Having a bunch of cylinders rolling around a deck during a potential engagement seems like a hazard that someone would have nixed somewhere along the line. That, or some kind of reflective tape dispenser that slaps a PT belt onto every spent round as it exits the turret. Safety first, sailor!

Edit: Combustible cases + ship makes less sense now that I think about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMs4IJQVRYM

Diabeesting fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 14, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Booblord Zagats posted:

gotta keep the Rockstars cold, brah

e- you just know Drowning Pool or Static-X is blaring over that tanks comms, too

bij
Feb 24, 2007

It'd probably just eat a TOW and burn out in an open field because that's how armor works in the Arab world but I always liked the BMPT Terminator. You don't need a 120mm cannon to shred muds and their huts so gently caress it, double Shipunovs and grenade launchers!

They actually sold a few and IIRC there was some controversy cause it is basically a tin pot dictator's democracy repression dream machine.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, but look at how cool that thing is! I want one!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Russians learned all these lessons in Grozny. I have no idea why the Syrians are wasting their tank park day after day. It's pretty hosed up to see them make the same mistakes constantly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Potential BFF posted:

It'd probably just eat a TOW and burn out in an open field because that's how armor works in the Arab world but I always liked the BMPT Terminator. You don't need a 120mm cannon to shred muds and their huts so gently caress it, double Shipunovs and grenade launchers!

They actually sold a few and IIRC there was some controversy cause it is basically a tin pot dictator's democracy repression dream machine.

This vehicle is really fun to play in armored warfare

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Frosted Flake posted:

The Russians learned all these lessons in Grozny. I have no idea why the Syrians are wasting their tank park day after day. It's pretty hosed up to see them make the same mistakes constantly.

This is the bit for me. Why the gently caress aren't they learning and adapting their tactics??

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Frosted Flake posted:

Because learning doctrine takes time, money, and intelligence. There's a reason actual professional national militaries took so long to catch on: they're not easy.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

monkeytennis posted:

This is the bit for me. Why the gently caress aren't they learning and adapting their tactics??

I can't imagine the Syrians having great training standards.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Some nice F-18 footage

https://vimeo.com/147887013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

monkeytennis posted:

Probably incompetent tankers paired with incompetent, badly-trained conscripts who are led by NCOs that have their jobs based more on being Alawite than competent. The latest effort by the SAA to retake areas in the south was bloody as gently caress and resulted in fairly marginal gains.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

This makes me happy

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MhKShZ0SU

Okey-Dokey. :wtc:

Might as well let the Russians do it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dilettante. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MhKShZ0SU

Okey-Dokey. :wtc:

Might as well let the Russians do it.

I think this group is called White Wolf or something like that. They're a private military training company based out of Kiev, kinda like the Ukrainian Chris Costa analogue.

brains
May 12, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

Probably incompetent tankers paired with incompetent, badly-trained conscripts who are led by NCOs that have their jobs based more on being Alawite than competent. The latest effort by the SAA to retake areas in the south was bloody as gently caress and resulted in fairly marginal gains.

lol if you think any arab army has NCOs that are allowed to do absolutely anything without the officer's say-so.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

monkeytennis posted:

It is rather difficult to "learn from your mistakes" when doing it the wrong way is usually fatal.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

MRC48B posted:

It is rather difficult to "learn from your mistakes" when doing it the wrong way is usually fatal.

There's gotta be Syrian intelligence people browsing youtube vids of their own army getting owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

brains posted:

lol if you think any arab army has NCOs that are allowed to do absolutely anything without the officer's say-so.

It's probably actually this. As much as I hate to use the word, the work "culture" in these militaries is very, very much "gently caress you do what I tell you because I'm a member of the ruling family/right tribal affiliation/sunni or shia/paid the right bribes/whatever and you are beneath me in everything. Exactly which one of those applies varies from place to place but whatever is chosen the guys on top loving stay there and everyone else god drat well does what they say. No feedback allowed, they're right you're loving wrong do it. Training/technical manuals, for example, are hoarded like treasure to officers only because letting the enlisted guys know more than the officers about anything at all is undermining how things are arranged.

If the officers aren't the ones getting hurt/killed by these problems then zero fucks are given and nothing will change.

• Locked thread