Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

hahaha don't worry that door is super light (my tiel had that style door until I got Amadeus, who promptly proved to be a billion times smarter than ms. derp). goddamn that's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

hahaha don't worry that door is super light (my tiel had that style door until I got Amadeus, who promptly proved to be a billion times smarter than ms. derp). goddamn that's hilarious.
Yeah Judah has two of those, one where his pellet dish is and one where his water dish is. In ten years he has never shown even the vaguest hint of having any idea that they open enough to get out, probably because I tend to use the big swing-open front door and just open the little doors enough to slip the dishes in.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast just tried to do the "I LOVE YOU" spew at me, confirmed for boy

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Someone suggest to Max's owner that they need a 24/7 cockatoo cam so we can watch for things like this

Thyrork posted:

I am totally down for you to just give me the first story, cute, informative or just in general, that comes to mind when teaching birds things.

Well um in general it takes more time to figure out how to teach Ohtori something than it does for him to learn it, or rather what steps to break it down into so he understands what I want of him and will do it. He learns so fast that one time, before Steve and Inko were around, I was showing my partner how to teach Ohtori tricks, giving "shake" as the trick to teach Ohtori. In the time it took to show how to do it, Ohtori had permanently learnt the trick. :v:

Steve isn't motivated by anything enough to concentrate on learning, but he's picked up stuff like "move" (when he's on the wrong side of his shelf). Inko will kiss if you say Kiss or Nice, but I haven't really tried much with him. The other day after teaching Ohtori to go through a tube using his target stick, Inko had been watching (and kissing) the whole time. Put Ohtori away, and on a whim took Inko out and put him on the floor where we'd been working, and he straight away charged for the target stick and grabbed the end in his mouth. Was it just because it was bright orange and attracted him, or had he watched and learned from Ohtori?

Seeing that, I tried to teach him "touch" (grab the end of the target stick) and he did pick it up, very quickly, but since it required moving (and on a flat surface, the hardest for him) he was pretty reluctant to do it. Later proved he knew it by offering him a nut, and the target stick, with the nut much closer. He went for the target stick and got clicked before turning for his nut. :3:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:colbert:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
My bird is giving me an early Christmas gift. She is sitting on my shoulder and cuddling with my neck but not attempting to remove parts of my ear!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

My bird is giving me an early Christmas gift. She is sitting on my shoulder and cuddling with my neck but not attempting to remove parts of my ear!

Is this because you are out of ear parts to remove?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
These pictures of Skillet eating a Pistachio ended up like a photo shoot with a lion and a gazelle. :shrug:

Here's a bonus picture of him shaking a radish top like a dingo with a baby:

He played with it for a while before tearing all the meat out and leaving the skin behind :stonk:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mirthless posted:

These pictures of Skillet eating a Pistachio ended up like a photo shoot with a lion and a gazelle. :shrug:

Here's a bonus picture of him shaking a radish top like a dingo with a baby:

He played with it for a while before tearing all the meat out and leaving the skin behind :stonk:
NSFW that violence you troll :mad:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Skillet is an exceptional cockatiel who is steadily moving his way up the food chain

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's so cute :allears: Is he a cinnamon like Judah or is that just the lighting, Mirthless?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Battle Pigeon posted:

Well um in general it takes more time to figure out how to teach Ohtori something than it does for him to learn it, or rather what steps to break it down into so he understands what I want of him and will do it. He learns so fast that one time, before Steve and Inko were around, I was showing my partner how to teach Ohtori tricks, giving "shake" as the trick to teach Ohtori. In the time it took to show how to do it, Ohtori had permanently learnt the trick. :v:

Steve isn't motivated by anything enough to concentrate on learning, but he's picked up stuff like "move" (when he's on the wrong side of his shelf). Inko will kiss if you say Kiss or Nice, but I haven't really tried much with him. The other day after teaching Ohtori to go through a tube using his target stick, Inko had been watching (and kissing) the whole time. Put Ohtori away, and on a whim took Inko out and put him on the floor where we'd been working, and he straight away charged for the target stick and grabbed the end in his mouth. Was it just because it was bright orange and attracted him, or had he watched and learned from Ohtori?

Seeing that, I tried to teach him "touch" (grab the end of the target stick) and he did pick it up, very quickly, but since it required moving (and on a flat surface, the hardest for him) he was pretty reluctant to do it. Later proved he knew it by offering him a nut, and the target stick, with the nut much closer. He went for the target stick and got clicked before turning for his nut. :3:

This is perfect. :allears: Especially the first paragraph.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I can hear the contended hissing from inside the box

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

https://youtu.be/VQzUJKOUdVo

So this happened

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/IJHDMQj.webm

I can watch it for about two seconds before the :v: and wind-up toy buzzing make me lose my poo poo and laugh.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout has started flying again. Landing, however, needs some work.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I GOT THIS NO WORRIES I'M FINE THIS IS HOW I LAND.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You know, it could be a lot worse

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori's bedtime box

mikerock posted:

Scout has started flying again. Landing, however, needs some work.

Clearly that was intentional and the landing was actually very accurate!

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Tacos latest trick:

We have stuck some woven palm frond tape stuff through the bars of his cage, it gives him something to pull apart and shred, but what usually happens is this:

Grabs the weave with his beak and starts chewing
While chewing, grabs the weave with one foot
Gets really mad at his foot and yells and bites at it till the foot goes away
Repeat

:birddrugs:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Battle Pigeon posted:

Clearly that was intentional and the landing was actually very accurate!

Haha she hit the middle of the bush and then tumbled down to the very last branch she could grab before she just straight up fell to the ground. I swear she's part Cockatiel.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

So, Gunter was just up on the coat tree. She was muttering and screaming into the one jacket pocket. :shrug:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Sekkira posted:

I take it Knee O'Clock is at an arbitrary and inconsistent time of day?

Pretty much, though it is mostly after 5 p.m.

Mostly

:kiddo:

Also she found her old rolly ball toy yesterday evening (it was on top of the radiator) She flung it to the ground and spent the next half hour trundling it around the floor and pouncing on it occasionally - it was an odd mix of Awww.. and ARRRRGH!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

schnickety scribe posted:

So, Gunter was just up on the coat tree. She was muttering and screaming into the one jacket pocket. :shrug:

Every now and then Toast will decide it's time to stick his head into the folds of my towel wherever it's hanging up and start making weird buzzing/crackling noises :v: At first I thought he'd got himself stuck on it but no, towels just mean weird noise time.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Every now and then Toast will decide it's time to stick his head into the folds of my towel wherever it's hanging up and start making weird buzzing/crackling noises :v: At first I thought he'd got himself stuck on it but no, towels just mean weird noise time.
Simon is in love with terrycloth and will crawl all over it or rub his face on it over and over when he gets access to it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Reckon these are safe?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yup. What kind of bird do you have? Bigger birds will tear through that like melted butter.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Quaker and an untame ringneck.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I also got a bag of pellets and some toys from the pet store and a macaw kept screaming (literally a human scream) at me and a black and gold stripy parrot with a massive tongue projectile shat on my back. Feels good man.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 14, 2015

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

slowly

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

untame ringneck.

quickly

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!
Max acts like a complete butthole for the first minute of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIvFMvYwSS8

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mizuti posted:

Max acts like a complete butthole for the first minute of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIvFMvYwSS8
Max is a good example of how even a healthy cockatoo getting its needs met is still going to be an outrageous rear end in a top hat at times :allears:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Max is unique in that he makes you really want a cockatoo, but man he makes you really not want a cockatoo

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Tendai posted:

Max is a good example of how even a healthy cockatoo getting its needs met is still going to be an outrageous rear end in a top hat at times :allears:

Much like a normal child. :v:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Just want to remind you all that I really love this birb

Bonus

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what is happening in this picture

Is he eating your finger?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Mirthless posted:

Max is unique in that he makes you really want a cockatoo, but man he makes you really not want a cockatoo

I'm glad that Max's owner shares all kinds of moments with viewers, and not just the ones where he's behaving well or being cute. Here's another example of him being a jealous, needy little guy who jams his face in the camera when his owner looks away for 5 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5VV4uKIua0&t=80s

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

I don't know what is happening in this picture

Is he eating your finger?

That is exactly what is going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai