Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Poil posted:

I always replace my cemeteries once I get crematorium, they just fill up and the game starts bugging me that they're full. If they at least emptied on their own I could see a point but it's just pointless busywork like replacing waterpumps in SimCity 3000.

Yeah, I had that realization with my first city when I switched it to fully use incinerators and not stop at landfills at all but never tried it until this city

It's like, bitch I have interchanges to build I don't have time to drive on down to the funeral home and tell them they should stop playing Jenga with the loving coffins; burn it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It just seems so stupid/gamey that you can just tell them to dig up the bodies and have them cremated, years after the fact.

Although likewise that dumped garbage never decays and memorials of the dead are never taken down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

nielsm posted:

It just seems so stupid/gamey that you can just tell them to dig up the bodies and have them cremated, years after the fact.

Although likewise that dumped garbage never decays and memorials of the dead are never taken down.

Except that actually happens a lot, specially throughout european history. I mean heck in the north american city I live in they dug up a whole cemetery to build a park and re-located or cremated the remains. Then we recently found out the whole moving the bodies thing was a lie, they only moved the stones, and there's bones like a foot under everything.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's hilarious. :geno:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Except that actually happens a lot, specially throughout european history. I mean heck in the north american city I live in they dug up a whole cemetery to build a park and re-located or cremated the remains. Then we recently found out the whole moving the bodies thing was a lie, they only moved the stones, and there's bones like a foot under everything.

This is literally why the ossuary was invented.

Cemetaries really should have the option of either automatically emptying into crematoriums or slowly ticking down their corpse numbers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, in a lot of villages or just anywhere where throwing away a ton of valuable land on a loving corpse farm wasn't economical it was assumed all graves were temporary. You'd bury them, put up a headstone, but once you're good and rotted down to bones they'll toss your bones in a bone heap or turn you into bone art and pile your headstone in a crowded bunch with the others. Only the rich got a permanent unchanging space.

reL
May 20, 2007
So, I'm used to death waves, but, can anyone help explain the bubonic plague? I have no idea why this is suddenly happening.

edit: I figured it out.... forgot I put pumps up the other side of the river... pollution backed up.

reL fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 8, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

reL posted:

So, I'm used to death waves, but, can anyone help explain the bubonic plague? I have no idea why this is suddenly happening.

edit: I figured it out.... forgot I put pumps up the other side of the river... pollution backed up.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

After replacing an i3 2100T with an i7 3770S my city hit a milestone of 130,000 cims. No signs of any slowdown, running at a constant 50-60fps. The i3 couldn't handle 50,000 cims, so upgrading has definitely given the game new life.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I keep poisoning the drinking water too - this game I'm using the aeration basin/clarifier assets from the workshop instead of pumps, and I keep forgetting that they need to be out of smog range of my industry. Took me ages to figure out why my birth/death rate had gone negative.

reL
May 20, 2007

Freudian posted:

I keep poisoning the drinking water too - this game I'm using the aeration basin/clarifier assets from the workshop instead of pumps, and I keep forgetting that they need to be out of smog range of my industry. Took me ages to figure out why my birth/death rate had gone negative.

Honestly I just keep forgetting how easy it is to alter the flows of rivers in this game. All my pumps had been on the west fork, and I put two on the east fork to prevent a complete flow-reversal on the west side. I didn't expect that two drat pumps would be enough to pull all that pollution upstream, but, well, there you go.

Are there any tricks to making really nice looking riverfronts with the waterfront walkways and various walls? I'm finding myself getting way too neurotic regarding how they look handling minor bends along my river edge drive.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Koesj posted:

Aargh I really wanted to rub that smudge off of my monitor! Great screenshots though, what settings and mods are you using?

Myself, I've been able to salvage my good old almost pre-After Dark savegame (I kinda had it running for a bit with lots of crashes inbetween), and its kind of refreshing to see this city again without the fuckoff huge collection of random assets I had amassed.

Of course, instead of doing something nice with it, like building themes, I am now in the process of reworking my whole road network with sharp angles in mind:

Things used to be so much simpler three months ago :(

Nice! I'm digging the low density road pattern contrast, very aesthetic.

Also cheers! I'm using very basic settings and mods: Hard Mode, Extended Public Transport UI, and Automatic Bulldoze - as well as After Dark.

I love the European set and its fabulous corner buildings, though I wish I could find more mods to make the UI better. Lack of information the game communicates to you is probably the only issue with the standalone game, everything else is wonderful.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

nielsm posted:

Here's an article on it happening in modern day, but yes basically overcrowding:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34920068

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I tried experimenting with moody lighting:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Ofaloaf posted:

Skinny little Nancy Callahan. She grew up. She filled out.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Ofaloaf posted:

Basin City looks good.

Freakus
Oct 21, 2000

Baronjutter posted:

Related, most of the cemeteries in San Francisco were moved just south, to Colma. There are more dead in Colma than alive by over 1000 : 1.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, in a lot of villages or just anywhere where throwing away a ton of valuable land on a loving corpse farm wasn't economical it was assumed all graves were temporary. You'd bury them, put up a headstone, but once you're good and rotted down to bones they'll toss your bones in a bone heap or turn you into bone art and pile your headstone in a crowded bunch with the others. Only the rich got a permanent unchanging space.

Idea: Ossuary building. Slowly collects corpses from cemetaries and the more it holds, the greater tourism value it generates :getin: :sedlec:

E: best line in any wikipedia article: "When the monks arrived at the church in 1631, moving from the old monastery, they brought 300 cartloads of deceased friars."

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 10, 2015

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Freakus posted:

Related, most of the cemeteries in San Francisco were moved just south, to Colma. There are more dead in Colma than alive by over 1000 : 1.

It's a necropolis! Generate 1 extra Black mana per turn when tapped for every creature in the graveyard!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

So what does it mean when my all my factories are complaining that they have no raw materials or buyers for products? I'm only at 80k people, I assume I'm not at an agent limit, and they all have ready access to highways, freight stations, and/or cargo hubs if not all three - what am I missing?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Freudian posted:

So what does it mean when my all my factories are complaining that they have no raw materials or buyers for products? I'm only at 80k people, I assume I'm not at an agent limit, and they all have ready access to highways, freight stations, and/or cargo hubs if not all three - what am I missing?

It means that that one interchange you're forgetting about is choking and your idiot truck drivers all depend on it, in my experience

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
edit: I swear to God this was not an intentional double post :mad:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Download my building yo: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=573263812&searchtext=

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Great job Koesj, what are those other buildings around your tower?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I've got nothing but my own assets installed atm so I guess they're basic C:S high-level C & O buildings! Also this city's pretty old so they're all pre Euro patch/After Dark.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Which LUT are you using? I want a deep blue sky too!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Daylight Classic mod plus the CrispWarmContrast LUT, sorry for not linking them but I'm on my mobile and they're easy to find anyway.

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

I'm a doctor, not a nurse.
Just got this. Is there any place where you can download custom cities, or that explains the map editor? I tried to make a city but couldn't figure out how to make ANY water (river, lake, etc).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nurse Chapel posted:

Just got this. Is there any place where you can download custom cities, or that explains the map editor? I tried to make a city but couldn't figure out how to make ANY water (river, lake, etc).

Steam. The community pages there has loads of guides on every topic, and the Workshop has thousands of custom maps ready to play on, as well as extra buildings, and mods.

Nurse Chapel
Jan 16, 2014

I'm a doctor, not a nurse.

nielsm posted:

Steam. The community pages there has loads of guides on every topic, and the Workshop has thousands of custom maps ready to play on, as well as extra buildings, and mods.

Oooo. All I ever looked at in steam was a mod thru workshop for playing of SC2K and SC3K music, so I will look more around Steam now. Google search turned up nothing helpful, so thank you goon <3

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Eagerly awaiting the post in 3 hours time saying "I've downloaded fifteen thousand assets and now my game won't start"

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Nurse Chapel posted:

n.b. the game doesn't ship with a map *generator*, just a map editor. there are two random map generators and as far as I can tell you need both of them to get anything like SC2K's map generator

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
That said the results are worth the trouble

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought the second and third shots were real life comparisons for a moment, even with thumbnails expanded.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
I know everyone has a lot going on, but I thought I'd post this video. I think it really captures what makes this game great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323EkgCySqc

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Fasdar posted:

I know everyone has a lot going on, but I thought I'd post this video. I think it really captures what makes this game great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=323EkgCySqc
Roundabout now, the funk soul brother

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Raandibahts are sure useful.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

n.b. the game doesn't ship with a map *generator*, just a map editor. there are two random map generators and as far as I can tell you need both of them to get anything like SC2K's map generator

I had no idea this was a thing and now I need to do this once I get tired of my current city.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

I had no idea this was a thing and now I need to do this once I get tired of my current city.

The game also supports importing heightmaps, and there's a program called world machine that uses a node type system to generate custom terrains. It's super addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

xzzy posted:

The game also supports importing heightmaps, and there's a program called world machine that uses a node type system to generate custom terrains. It's super addictive.

You can also generate real world height maps designed for importing into C:S through terrain.party