Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

Righty-o! Thanks for the suggestions. :patriot:

Unrelated: is it just me, or was the Covetous Demon a bit of a chump? :cheeky:

He's probably the easiest boss in the game except maybe Dragon Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Ghost of Starman posted:

Righty-o! Thanks for the suggestions. :patriot:

Unrelated: is it just me, or was the Covetous Demon a bit of a chump? :cheeky:

E:FB!

Total chump status.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

He's probably the easiest boss in the game except maybe Dragon Rider.

First time I fought the Dragon Rider I didn't pull the levers so the arena was smaller and the dragon rider dropped down like on a speedrun so it may be the easiest if you know how to do it right at the start.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Guillermus posted:

First time I fought the Dragon Rider I didn't pull the levers so the arena was smaller and the dragon rider dropped down like on a speedrun so it may be the easiest if you know how to do it right at the start.

Even if you don't do that he literally can't hit you if you hump his shield arm and roll behind him every time he attacks. You barely even need to time your rolls.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
I feel like that whole zone will either teach you how to Dark Souls or politely inform you that this game isn't for you.

E: Heide's Tower of Flame that is.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Hard to tell what I've wasted more effigies on, trying to beat Smelter Demon with Lucatiel (I kept dying, but I beat him!) or The Rotten (Lucatiel keeps dying and I want her quest so I suicide, haven't managed to get past this yet)! I'm still playing the vanilla game, so maybe there aren't a lot of people playing that anymore? I rarely seem to see pc summon signs to help :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Charles Bukowski posted:

Hard to tell what I've wasted more effigies on, trying to beat Smelter Demon with Lucatiel (I kept dying, but I beat him!) or The Rotten (Lucatiel keeps dying and I want her quest so I suicide, haven't managed to get past this yet)! I'm still playing the vanilla game, so maybe there aren't a lot of people playing that anymore? I rarely seem to see pc summon signs to help :(

:ssh: you can darksign out of a boss fight

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Mr Dog posted:

:ssh: you can darksign out of a boss fight

I KNEW there was a reason for the darksign to exist. Thank you!

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Woo! Lost Sinner defeated; 1 down, 3 to go, right? :downs:

What's a good candidate for the Fragrant Branch I just got? I think I've only used 3 so far: Straid, pyromancy lady, and the path to the Ruin Sentinels.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

edit: completely misread your post haha.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 13, 2015

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ghost of Starman posted:

Woo! Lost Sinner defeated; 1 down, 3 to go, right? :downs:

What's a good candidate for the Fragrant Branch I just got? I think I've only used 3 so far: Straid, pyromancy lady, and the path to the Ruin Sentinels.

There's one in the pathway to No Man's Wharf from Heide's that should have some fun stuff behind it, if I remember correctly. You've freed the critical ones for the time being.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

I KNEW there was a reason for the darksign to exist. Thank you!
You do loose all your unspent souls with the darksign. If you want to start the bossfight over you can also simply quit the game and reload. It'll drop you off in front of the fog gate.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

You do loose all your unspent souls with the darksign. If you want to start the bossfight over you can also simply quit the game and reload. It'll drop you off in front of the fog gate.

Woaaaah thats an even better idea!

Ive been playing around with different dex weapons since im low on chunks for my katana. Claws are fun! So does dex still not scale as well as strength?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah, in DS2 an A in dex is half as good as an A in strength (same for all the other letters). It usually evens out though, since your katana is probably swinging more than twice as often as the other guys' giant club.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

Woaaaah thats an even better idea!

Ive been playing around with different dex weapons since im low on chunks for my katana. Claws are fun! So does dex still not scale as well as strength?

Yes. Dex scaling caps out at 100% of your dex bonus (3 way tie between blacksteel katana, ricard's rapier and loyce greatsword), while strength scaling goes up to 136% and is 95%+ on over 30 different weapons (vs a total of 6 90%+ dex weapons).

After those 3 dex weapons go Bewitched Alonne Sword, Eleum Loyce, then Puzzling Stone Sword at 90%. Drop to 80% for Chaos Blade, 70% for Monastery Scimitar, 7 weapons 60-65 (including a quality weapon in the form of Curved Dragon Greatsword). The 50s are dominated by infused versions of the above. The first fist weapons come in with the Bone Fist at 46% as well as the Caestus and Claws at 45. The vast majority of A scaling dex weapons give you less than 50% of your dex bonus. A str scaling is 80-90%.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Loyce Greatsword a best. That whole area is in my opinion the best area in the game.

Fake edit, before hitting post I realized that could be misconstrued to be talking about the Frozen Wastes. I mean Eleum Loyce as a whole. Although Frozen Wastes is a sweet place to invade because of the storms and the wide area.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even I'm not cruel enough to invade someone there. Have some mercy.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
So, I'm really enjoying my Halberd+6 so far. But I'm reluctant to start spending Titanite Chunks to upgrade it further, though, for fear that a better halberd or halberd-like weapon is waiting somewhere down the line. Not worth worrying about? Any other weapons I might want to consider in the Halberd's place or keep an eye out for in areas-to-come?

Relatedly: If I'm understanding correctly, Infusing is pretty much always gonna add damage to a weapon, right? For example, turning the Halberd into a Lightning Halberd will lower the base damage and stat-scaling, but add more lightning damage than physical damage is lost, yes? (And yes, I know enemy resistances kind of muddy the waters, and DLC enemies in particular heavily resist elemental damage types, but generally speaking...?)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, I'm really enjoying my Halberd+6 so far. But I'm reluctant to start spending Titanite Chunks to upgrade it further, though, for fear that a better halberd or halberd-like weapon is waiting somewhere down the line. Not worth worrying about? Any other weapons I might want to consider in the Halberd's place or keep an eye out for in areas-to-come?

Relatedly: If I'm understanding correctly, Infusing is pretty much always gonna add damage to a weapon, right? For example, turning the Halberd into a Lightning Halberd will lower the base damage and stat-scaling, but add more lightning damage than physical damage is lost, yes? (And yes, I know enemy resistances kind of muddy the waters, and DLC enemies in particular heavily resist elemental damage types, but generally speaking...?)

You will often lose damage infusing a weapon that doesn't already do that type of damage. It's not absolute but higher physical damage is almost always better than lower physical and some added elemental damage that's going to get reduced to jack poo poo by resistances, even when the number on the character screen is quite a bit larger.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Yes. Dex scaling caps out at 100% of your dex bonus (3 way tie between blacksteel katana, ricard's rapier and loyce greatsword), while strength scaling goes up to 136% and is 95%+ on over 30 different weapons (vs a total of 6 90%+ dex weapons).

After those 3 dex weapons go Bewitched Alonne Sword, Eleum Loyce, then Puzzling Stone Sword at 90%. Drop to 80% for Chaos Blade, 70% for Monastery Scimitar, 7 weapons 60-65 (including a quality weapon in the form of Curved Dragon Greatsword). The 50s are dominated by infused versions of the above. The first fist weapons come in with the Bone Fist at 46% as well as the Caestus and Claws at 45. The vast majority of A scaling dex weapons give you less than 50% of your dex bonus. A str scaling is 80-90%.

What the christ is up with this? Like, I knew the scaling was different, and that higher letters meant more scaling, but going by this I could (in theory, if not in practice) have an two A rank weapons sitting at the same level of A, yet get totally different damage bonuses anyway? Why would they do that and not just give the weapon a crap letter? :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ghost of Starman posted:

Chunks are kind of a pain to get a lot of if you don't know where. There's a covenant in Belfry Luna that rewards chunks though, so if you want some more you can always spend time there. Infusion isn't really worth bothering with unless you have the spell/miracle/hex to buff your weapon's damage further with the respective element. There are some enemies that take massively reduced damage from certain elements, so using an infused weapon against them will lead to bad times if you don't have a backup.

I never really used halberds so I dunno what to recommend. There are lots of different ones out there.

Buried alive posted:

What the christ is up with this? Like, I knew the scaling was different, and that higher letters meant more scaling, but going by this I could (in theory, if not in practice) have an two A rank weapons sitting at the same level of A, yet get totally different damage bonuses anyway? Why would they do that and not just give the weapon a crap letter? :psyduck:

:darksouls:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Buried alive posted:

It gets better with infused weapons because they tend to drop the requirements for a given letter by quite a bit for them. All those B scaling elemental enfused raw weapons have 20-30% and the C scaling ones are 10-20. For elemental scaling there's usually just 2 or 3 weapons worth looking at before scaling drops off a loving cliff.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Buried alive posted:

Every scaling stat is going to be a little different, especially in regards to elemental damage. So you either use a ton of letters and only give S rank to certain STR weapons, which I think would be even worse, or do like what From did. They probably determined the numbers first and assigned the grades later. Dex weapons are already really good anyway so I don't think they need more scaling.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 14, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, the best weapon in the game is the 20/40 scaling Rapier. Just means that scaling stats might not be as important as you might think a lot of the time.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Buried alive posted:

It wouldn't be a Japanese made RPG without utterly retarded obfuscated elements.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Infusion isn't really worth bothering with unless you have the spell/miracle/hex to buff your weapon's damage further with the respective element. There are some enemies that take massively reduced damage from certain elements, so using an infused weapon against them will lead to bad times if you don't have a backup.

So, if I plan on using Sunlight Blade to buff my weapons, it'd be good to have at least one that's either Lightning-Infused or comes with Lightning damage naturally, and then have a physical-damage weapon for enemies that resist that element?

If so, then I'm choosing between infusing my Halberd or the Craftsman's Hammer. Is there a clear winner there? Based on what folks have been saying, I'd assume it makes more sense to infuse the Halberd, since it's stat-scaling isn't too hot to begin with, whereas a fully-upgraded hammer has a pretty respectable B in STR.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

So, if I plan on using Sunlight Blade to buff my weapons, it'd be good to have at least one that's either Lightning-Infused or comes with Lightning damage naturally, and then have a physical-damage weapon for enemies that resist that element?

If so, then I'm choosing between infusing my Halberd or the Craftsman's Hammer. Is there a clear winner there? Based on what folks have been saying, I'd assume it makes more sense to infuse the Halberd, since it's stat-scaling isn't too hot to begin with, whereas a fully-upgraded hammer has a pretty respectable B in STR.

Yeah, infuse the Halberd. The Craftsman's Hammer says B, but it's actually just barely under and A. Not to mention the higher the base damage, the better infusing tends to be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you're going to lightning infuse anything (and invest in faith) make it a Heide weapon, Defender Greatsword, Thorned Greatsword, Dragonslayer Crescent Axe or Curved Nil Greatsword. If you just want some base lightning damage and don't care about scaling the Mastodon Halberd and some of the curved greatswords are as good as it gets without being a big slow UGS.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

If you just want some base lightning damage and don't care about scaling the Mastodon Halberd and some of the curved greatswords are as good as it gets without being a big slow UGS.

Sorry, just to make sure I understand the rationale: because they have such high base damage (without being ridiculously-slow), they make good candidates for infusing?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My blacksteel doesnt seem faster than a str longsword from what i can can. Its pretty strong, but I have 40 dex so it goddamn well should hit hard! Might be easier to go str/int or faith instead of having to stack dex so high to do real damage. All my other stats are 20 except default atn, int and faith.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Internet Kraken posted:

Even I'm not cruel enough to invade someone there. Have some mercy.

I got the idea when I was invaded there by a bow user that named themselves Sniper Wolf. It was then that I decided to take up invading there, although I rarely got many invasions. I rarely kill any of my invadees though, that's just not fun to me. I like to play around when possible. I remember one time I pulled a guy into my world in the harvel's resting place in the grave of saints and staged a race around the big ring there.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Sorry, just to make sure I understand the rationale: because they have such high base damage (without being ridiculously-slow), they make good candidates for infusing?

More or less. I'm just looking poo poo up on this spreadsheet but it looks like the first thing on either side of the Mastodon Halberd that isn't a Great Axe, Great Hammer or UGS is the Murakumo, which is only about 20 phys/lightning weaker. Make a copy of that if you want to sort columns and look around. It's not 100% accurate so if any thing seems too good to be true (blue dagger elemental scaling), it probably is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
For weapon decisions: I feel that +6 is enough for a large portion of the game, if of course not ideal as soon as you can actually get the chunks/even slabs. But when not sure what I really want to use late-game, I tend to hover around +6 with quite a few weapons (as that only costs Souls), and decide after having used a bunch of them for a while, which coincidentally is after having done enough Belling to get Chunks for like three of them.
If you've only ever seen the Halberd and no alternatives, for example, I would recommend you leave it at +6 until you do find an alternative, check the moveset of that if there's an immediate dealbreaker (example for a different weapon class: if you've been using a short sword and really like its stab attack, a statwise better long sword is nonsense for you as it doesn't have the stab), then upgrade that to +6 and compare. If you fall in love right after the switch, you can still decide to +10 it, then if you find something even better later one, it's still not really wasted per se - a) "later on" can be hours of fun with a fully upgraded weapon, and b) you want two good weapons anyway in case one breaks/the boss fight drags too long.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

It wouldn't be a Japanese made RPG without utterly retarded obfuscated elements.

I dunno, AD&D based Western RPGs like the Baldur's Gate series are even worse IMO.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are you supposed to start a new game to play Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin? I'm considering getting it. It's been quite some time since I played DS2 without any DLCs. I seem to remember getting at least halfway through the game and to a castle place filled with lava before I got a little burned out on DS at the time. I think I kept my savegame. But what can I expect from Scholar of the First Sin?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Scholar and the base Dark Souls 2 game are completely incompatible and you have to start over from scratch, yes.

Scholar isn't that different - the majority of the level design is the same, with a couple extra rooms every now and again. But enemy placements are about 70% to 80% different in the base game (and almost unchanged for the DLC zones,) and there's a whole bunch of re-jiggering of where you find items that vastly improves the power curve of the game where you can get a +10 infused weapon much much earlier, and you can actually just find the cooler, more different weapons lying around. The most obvious example is that the Grand Lance, which was extremely hard to find and get in the base game (in a hidden area locked behind an obnoxious platforming challenge in one of the Giants' Memories,) was just put in front of the King Door in the Forest of Fallen Giants instead. You can get it super early.

A lot of the areas have a sort of gimmick to them now to make them more complicated. Heide's Tower of Flame actually has Heide Knights in it now and they're not aggressive until you kill the Dragonrider, when they'll all stand up and start to patrol.

Most of the changes are for the better. There's a couple that are a little baffling but they don't outweigh the good. Scholar's a definite overall improvement on Dark Souls 2.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Scholar and the base Dark Souls 2 game are completely incompatible and you have to start over from scratch, yes.

Scholar isn't that different - the majority of the level design is the same, with a couple extra rooms every now and again. But enemy placements are about 70% to 80% different in the base game (and almost unchanged for the DLC zones,) and there's a whole bunch of re-jiggering of where you find items that vastly improves the power curve of the game where you can get a +10 infused weapon much much earlier, and you can actually just find the cooler, more different weapons lying around. The most obvious example is that the Grand Lance, which was extremely hard to find and get in the base game (in a hidden area locked behind an obnoxious platforming challenge in one of the Giants' Memories,) was just put in front of the King Door in the Forest of Fallen Giants instead. You can get it super early.

A lot of the areas have a sort of gimmick to them now to make them more complicated. Heide's Tower of Flame actually has Heide Knights in it now and they're not aggressive until you kill the Dragonrider, when they'll all stand up and start to patrol.

Most of the changes are for the better. There's a couple that are a little baffling but they don't outweigh the good. Scholar's a definite overall improvement on Dark Souls 2.

I agree with you 100% though I don't know how they managed to make the Iron Keep more annoying.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Thanks. So are there any really good reason to play it if you've already played most of DS2?

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Thanks. So are there any really good reason to play it if you've already played most of DS2?

I played all of DS2 minus the DLC before I played Scholar. I enjoyed it a lot and I am now beginning new game +.

Edit: The only really good reason I have is "it's fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PirateBob posted:

Look at it this way; Scholar is the Master Quest to DS2's Ocarina of Time.

Is it the same world, and the same game basically? Yes. Is it a new remix to keep you on your toes if you're a master of the base game? Yes.

There's plenty of new poo poo that works better in Scholar. If you're sick of DS2 then don't get it but if you're about to play your 4th character of DS2 anyways you may as well start in Scholar instead and have some new stuff that tricks you up and makes things more fun.