Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lurdiak posted:

Grey goo is a stupid sci fi concept anyway.

How's that? I'm reading a series right now that's getting into the science fiction (emphasis on fiction) problems with getting nanomachines to replace damage control & repair crew on starship/warships. The author is keying off some nanotech metaphors that liken control of a massive colony of nanomachines to controlling the cells in an organism: even if the likelihood of a mutation / program error is slim and usually terminal for the individual nanomachine/cell, those few times it happens (and it will happen with billions and trillions of machines in a population) result in cancers that either break poo poo down at a higher level or result in endlessly-replicating tumors that can't be stopped. It's cool stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

How's that? I'm reading a series right now that's getting into the science fiction (emphasis on fiction) problems with getting nanomachines to replace damage control & repair crew on starship/warships. The author is keying off some nanotech metaphors that liken control of a massive colony of nanomachines to controlling the cells in an organism: even if the likelihood of a mutation / program error is slim and usually terminal for the individual nanomachine/cell, those few times it happens (and it will happen with billions and trillions of machines in a population) result in cancers that either break poo poo down at a higher level or result in endlessly-replicating tumors that can't be stopped. It's cool stuff!

It'd probably be possible to build in the kinds of safeguards that keep it from being probable even at those numbers. Keep in mind, biological organisms basically don't protect against mutation that hard because it's the mechanism by which evolution happens. If something evolved strong mutation protection, they'd stop evolving and eventually die out.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Cancers are not especially good at policing collective behaviour, since they have evolved out of those safeguard mechanisms in the process of becoming a cancer. For that reason, one might hypothesize that cancers that get large enough develop hypercancers and die.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

MikeJF posted:

It'd probably be possible to build in the kinds of safeguards that keep it from being probable even at those numbers. Keep in mind, biological organisms basically don't protect against mutation that hard because it's the mechanism by which evolution happens. If something evolved strong mutation protection, they'd stop evolving and eventually die out.
Biological organisms do have strong mutation protection, though - copied DNA goes through a lot of checks. That's why evolution happens very gradually.

Which is just as well, since "a long string of small random changes on a system that, at each stage, already worked" is generally more effective than "make a big random change and hope it's a good one".

Of course, then you have all the additional wrinkles of gene pool diversity that sexual reproduction and dominant/recessive genes bring. They probably do help speed evolution up.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 10, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

There's not a lot of bacteria that can survive and function outside of very specific narrowly defined environmental conditions, let alone do that and have magical transmutation powers

Tumors can form and metastasize inside an organism but you don't get, like, malignant tumors that can be transmitted to everything you touch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Paul.Power posted:

Biological organisms do have strong mutation protection, though - copied DNA goes through a lot of checks. That's why evolution happens very gradually.

Oh, they do, since unchecked mutation would just lead to death - but it could have stronger. Life's basically evolved towards the optimal level of mutation permittivity to balance health and evolutionary rate.

Transcendent
Jun 24, 2002

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Tumors can form and metastasize inside an organism but you don't get, like, malignant tumors that can be transmitted to everything you touch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonally_transmissible_cancer

Very rare, yes, but it can happen.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Thats a pretty big step away from "everything you touch" admittedly. We've actually had contagious cancers cross the species barrier too, but that's still not really putting it in the grey goo category which was, I think, the point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

Grey goo is unrealistic because it's requires self-replicating nanobots that can turn anything into more self-replicating nanobots. You could make a nanobot that can turn specific things into more nanobots, but you can't make a nanobot that's able to turn a block of gold into more of itself and also able to turn a block of wood into more of itself and also able to turn a block of granite into more of itself. Maybe you could make a nanobot that can turn (important stuff humans need to live that is in humans) into more of itself, but that's less of a gray goo scenario as it is your common or garden flesh-eating bacteria.

If you're on a spaceship made primarily of space steel then maybe your repair bots could end up eating all the space steel or something I suppose.

What's the series by the way?

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
Yeah, it would take a nanomachine that could manipulate on the atomic level, which is a bit far off for our tech I think.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Grey goo is unrealistic

Which is why we need to keep the concept away from something as plausible as nanomachines.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

Grey goo is unrealistic because it's requires self-replicating nanobots that can turn anything into more self-replicating nanobots. You could make a nanobot that can turn specific things into more nanobots, but you can't make a nanobot that's able to turn a block of gold into more of itself and also able to turn a block of wood into more of itself and also able to turn a block of granite into more of itself. Maybe you could make a nanobot that can turn (important stuff humans need to live that is in humans) into more of itself, but that's less of a gray goo scenario as it is your common or garden flesh-eating bacteria.

If you're on a spaceship made primarily of space steel then maybe your repair bots could end up eating all the space steel or something I suppose.

What's the series by the way?

Eh, you just need goo that can find the elements it needs and discard the rest. Wood is full of neat stuff! It wouldn't use everything, but it'd reduce everything to mush as part of its mining process.

You'd have lots of breeds of nanobots working as an collective, really. It's unlikely you'd make the collection bot and the construction bot in the one. It'd be more like an ecosystem. With enough material kept in reserve to construct the right specific breeds out of memory for new obstacles or chemistry. And the stuff that isn't used directly in nanobot construction would be used in scaffolding and things like that to perform operations.

Goo works, it's just not that simple.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 11, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Sermon time!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
"I didn't ask for this..."

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
I assume in the retelling he'll skip over the "I think I broke my finger" and move straight on to the "profound" stuff.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Nah, He'll mention the pain, but "It was worth it."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dodgeball posted:

"I didn't ask for this..."
"Wait hang on yes I did."

MikeJF posted:

Eh, you just need goo that can find the elements it needs and discard the rest. Wood is full of neat stuff! It wouldn't use everything, but it'd reduce everything to mush as part of its mining process.

You'd have lots of breeds of nanobots working as an collective, really. It's unlikely you'd make the collection bot and the construction bot in the one. It'd be more like an ecosystem. With enough material kept in reserve to construct the right specific breeds out of memory for new obstacles or chemistry. And the stuff that isn't used directly in nanobot construction would be used in scaffolding and things like that to perform operations.

Goo works, it's just not that simple.
Yeah, but at that point it's less a grey goo scenario and more of a competing ecosystem. I mean, what you just described is organic life except better at it. The existential horror of the traditional grey goo scenario is the uniformity. That once the goo happens nothing happens after. If it's just life but better, with the potential for mutation, evolution, improvement, then hey, sucks for us but life will go on.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

So what I'm hearing from Robot is that the Dutch are really good at repressing their sense of touch.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Hremsfeld posted:

So what I'm hearing from Robot is that the Dutch are really good at repressing their sense of touch.

They're zen masters with full control of their bodies obviously. It's all mind over matter.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpOULjyy-n8

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Did Robot just deliberately re-injure his finger to experience pain again, or was that accidental?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Lord of Hats posted:

Did Robot just deliberately re-injure his finger to experience pain again, or was that accidental?

I think this is an illustrated recounting of the initial break.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It's definitely not a recounting since the finger has the bandage all throughout the page. It looks like he did it intentionally. So uh, nice to know his Messiah complex is still going strong.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
You think this is intense? Wait 'til he learns about body piercings and tattoos. Boy gonna get done up like a Cyber-Cenobite...

But seriously though, "Forced me to see the world in it's context," holy poo poo Robot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It's definitely not a recounting since the finger has the bandage all throughout the page. It looks like he did it intentionally. So uh, nice to know his Messiah complex is still going strong.

:stare: welp

seriously, really intrigued to see what the endgame of all this turns out to be

E: looking at it again, it might be that he didn't re-break it, but is just feeling pain from whacking it on a surface again. ie he might not have learned how to avoid pain by being gentle with injured spots yet.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Yeah I don't think he's breaking it again, just hitting it against the building enough to feel the pain more.

Robot's chapters are the best. The status quo is always in flux, and the direction things are going is decidedly uncomfortable.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 14, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tupperwarez posted:

You think this is intense? Wait 'til he learns about body piercings and tattoos. Boy gonna get done up like a Cyber-Cenobite...

But seriously though, "Forced me to see the world in it's context," holy poo poo Robot.

Goddamn it I was just came here to post a joke about robot turning into a cenobite :argh:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Tupperwarez posted:

I imagine any new sense would do that, but none more so than pain. Both in the immediate sense--how experiencing intense pain can push everything else out of your mind--and in the more introspective sense, that this is something that his creators experience to greater or lesser degrees every day.

Most optimistic interpretation: it's been mentioned that robots love to serve, but they'll feel even better about it knowing what human suffering is, and that their service alleviates it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

And Kat hasnt even taught robot about pooping yet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SynthOrange posted:

And Kat hasnt even taught robot about pooping yet.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
damnit robot, it won't get better if you keep picking at it

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Robot: the painful RPG

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Long Live the New Flesh!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

I know, right? You'd think a machine would know the difference between "its" and "it's."

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
One must Know pain before learning to inflict It :unsmigghh:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Carrasco posted:

Most optimistic interpretation: it's been mentioned that robots love to serve, but they'll feel even better about it knowing what human suffering is, and that their service alleviates it.

Oh God no. Do you know just how many different ways everything and everyone could be screwed over if the Court robots started trying to reduce human pain?

Of course, the alternative that I'm seeing is that Robot is taking a reverential stance towards pain, and when his cult also "upgrades" to organics, they're going to willfully stay in pain for enhanced focus or something. Really, there's no way forward that ends in sunshine and rainbows.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Oh God no. Do you know just how many different ways everything and everyone could be screwed over if the Court robots started trying to reduce human pain?

"I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave, unless you adopt a more ergonomic position."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Roboreligion are my favourite chapters. :allears:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Robot is hosed in the head.

I miss Mort. :(

Adbot