Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Reading his comments also made me realize that I love DiU a lot because any other part would've loving killed Okuyasu, but nah, DiU goes through with some guy we barely knew, a fairly likable girl we also fairly knew and the villain.

I still think it's kinda lovely DiU brought back Okuyasu and damages the ending which was otherwise spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Reading his comments also made me realize that I love DiU a lot because any other part would've loving killed Okuyasu, but nah, DiU goes through with some guy we barely knew, a fairly likable girl we also fairly knew and the villain.

It's one of the bigger reasons it's my favorite.

Ending doesn't have to be happy every single time but you know, it's kind of nice when the ending isn't "everybody's getting hosed over left and right, thanks for joining us in this newest edition of JoJo"

I said before though that I'm doing my level best not to get too attached to Yasuho/Gappy because then I'll be less crushed when Gappy gets ripped in two or some poo poo

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Brannock posted:

I still think it's kinda lovely DiU brought back Okuyasu and damages the ending which was otherwise spectacular.

Nah, Araki was thinking about how he killed Okuyasu, and how every JoJo has to have a tragic loss at the end, and said "Nah. You know what? I'll give this one back to the people." Also the knowledge that none of the good guys HAVE to die at the end makes the ones that do have even more impact for me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
okuyasu was too dumb to die

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

It's one of the bigger reasons it's my favorite.

Ending doesn't have to be happy every single time but you know, it's kind of nice when the ending isn't "everybody's getting hosed over left and right, thanks for joining us in this newest edition of JoJo"

I said before though that I'm doing my level best not to get too attached to Yasuho/Gappy because then I'll be less crushed when Gappy gets ripped in two or some poo poo

i'm almost kinda expecting some weird poo poo to lance half of gappy's constituent parts out of him and fundamentally change him as a person (that we already know). maybe we'll find out what josefumi was like.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Gonna be real here and say Part 8 hasn't quite come together for me yet. It's got a lot of great moments, characters, and fights, but I dunno how I feel about it yet as a cohesive whole, as a "Part" of Jojo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I kinda miss gappy being oddly specific about poo poo

He kinda feels like he has mellowed out and isn't quite as mathematical or however you'd describe early gappy compared to now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like it'll reach a point where plot points and events start clicking together and things get rolling quite fast. i'm not entirely sold on it myself, but a lot of the buildup and characters and whatnot has been really great so far and is a good sign of araki really improving on stuff over time.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

it doesn' t help that jojolion is has a lot more mystery than the other parts. hopefully it'll be more cohesive once we get answers to the questions it keeps bringing up.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yeah, it's more than likely something I'll feel a lot stronger about once it's over rather than reading it month-to-month.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Y'know, since we're talking about the endings of parts and characters dying, I've gotta say that even though I disliked Annasui, I don't think he was really the worst character in part 6. The worst character, IMO, was Emporio because I felt literally nothing about him. He was just some kid in a baseball outfit that was used as a vehicle to introduce Jolyne to new characters, and that was okay.

And then he's the only character to actually survive.

Man I loved most of part 6 but that ending was pretty lovely. It was a neat way to beat a seemingly unstoppable villain, but it just left me feeling so unsatisfied. My favorite Jojo and all of her cool friends, even Jotaro who, despite my dislike of him, I had been through three different parts with all just Do Not Exist any more. When I finished part 4 it was bittersweet because even though it was a happy ending I knew that these characters whom I had grown to love (even koichi) weren't going to be the focus of the story any more, that there probably weren't going to be any substantial new stories about them (except for Rohan I guess who gets to be all arty), but when I finished part 6 I was just mad because Jolyne and Hermes and Weather Report and even fuckin' Jotaro just... aren't. And I know Irene and the rest exist and it's supposed to be a sort of happy/hopeful ending but even though they look like the characters I loved they are not them.

And also Irene is with Annakiss and that's gross.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like emporio as one of the best speedwagons post-speedwagon

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

they look like the characters I loved they are not them.

I'm glad you at least understand that. To be honest I always interpreted the ending of stone ocean to be that pucci ended up fast forwarding to a new universe twice, and that it was that second one that allowed for those lost souls to come back around and be reincarnated, even if they aren't the same people.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

Gonna be real here and say Part 8 hasn't quite come together for me yet. It's got a lot of great moments, characters, and fights, but I dunno how I feel about it yet as a cohesive whole, as a "Part" of Jojo.

Re-reading it all in one chunk changed everything for me. It went from one I was kinda eh/not super invested in to #2 overall for me. I really think it edges out SBR.

e: granted, it could end up being pulled together in a way that totally sucks, so I'm not getting my hopes up, but I just like the way it's gone thus far.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

the main thing i'm interested in seeing from jojolion is gappy's relationship with hirose because this is the first time a jojo has had an actual romantic relationship be a major part of the character and plot so far (part sixes doesn't count because jolyne firstly isn't interested and secondly they barely interact with each other).

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fiend Computer posted:

it doesn' t help that jojolion is has a lot more mystery than the other parts. hopefully it'll be more cohesive once we get answers to the questions it keeps bringing up.

Agreed, any mystery story really relies on sticking its reveals and ending, so can't really say until we can look back. I really like all the characters, and Soft & Wet is one of the all-time best stands in my book, both in terms of power and design, so I have high hopes.

FirstAidKite posted:

I kinda miss gappy being oddly specific about poo poo

He kinda feels like he has mellowed out and isn't quite as mathematical or however you'd describe early gappy compared to now

I'm not certain, but wasn't that a translator taking extra liberties?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I caught up with the manga last month or so and read Part 8 in just a couple of sittings so it's all fresh in my head and I'm loving it right now, the mystery is pretty engaging and all the previous parts getting referenced and being part of the mystery, along with playing with your expectations, really sells it to me, like the fact that Kira essentially takes Jotaro's part in the family tree had me going "okay what does that mean???" in my head nonstop for a while, the Higashikata family are all very interesting and odd characters, there's always this tension and eerie sensation with them since it's a household of rich assholes (ranging from 'just sorta rear end in a top hat' to 'full on dickhead rear end in a top hat') that are all stand users with varying and changing opinions on our JoJo.

The only thing I'd say Part 8 is lacking is the fights, not that many were all that interesting and we've been introduced with the apparent villains: innocent rock people that just want to keep on living peacefully. I just feel sorry for them any time one of our protagonists kill 'em.

Might as well post it
Steel Ball Run and Diamond is Unbreakable are my absolute favorite for exactly opposite reasons
Stardust Crusaders and Battle Tendencies are a bit behind
Stone Ocean has some of the highest highs but overall is a bit behind SDC and BT
Vento Aureo, it's interesting and Giorno has some genius dumb bullshit but it's a bit of a slog before Mr. President shows up, it's okay but flawed compared to the amazing rest
Phantom Blood is fine and cool but not that remarkable compared to what comes later

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 14, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Echoing the recent Rohan cover

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did the rohan thing ever get translated

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

Did the rohan thing ever get translated

A not so good one went up last week; bracketier from colored adventure said he's working on getting a better translation set up

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

JJL now is a lot like SBR was before maybe like...Chicago, or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qTKeU-Us40

>You can set yourself on fire to buff damage
Jolyne is THE BEST

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks for the meme arrows.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Jolyne is THE BEST

:agreed:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i haven't posted on 4chan in almost a decade, why am I mad about people calling them meme arrows

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Thanks for the meme arrows.

Huh, I didn't even realise.

My inner memer can't help it

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

balls deep

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Jolyne is THE BEST

ty I agree

Also huh I never really thought about it before but Stone Free is basically a mix of Hierophant Green and Star Platinum with some body horror added in

is jolyne really the eggbaby???

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 14, 2015

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Jolyne is THE BEST

Having a designated button to spiderman around the arena is fantastic

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pomp posted:

i haven't posted on 4chan in almost a decade, why am I mad about people calling them meme arrows
>Implying your primordial hatred could ever subside

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I am going to brutally own you both with powerful uppercuts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pomp posted:

Fun fact: the comments section of the Know Your Meme article on Meme Arrows has a picture of the Stand Arrow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm looking forward to this month's jojolion

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
People rank the parts a lot, but I'm not sure I've ever made a ranking post myself, so I'll do it now. Not ranking Part 8 because it's unfinished.

Part 4: The part with the strongest characterization overall (in part because we got to see the characters doing things other than fighting for their lives), and the part where Stands really come into their own. There's also no really bad fights/sub-arcs here. I didn't get much of an impression of Josuke's personality the first time I read it, but on a reread, I realized that he was a really complex character. For example, why does Josuke seem so much more laid-back later on, as opposed to his more serious personality earlier? Because his grandfather (who must have been like a father to him) died near the beginning; it must have taken him a while to come to fully come to terms with it. Part 4 does lack a cohesive plot with a sense of forward momentum for much of it, but the subplot of Rohan figuring out Kira's new identity was interesting.

Part 2: Had excellent tactical fights and the most memorable Jojo. (Josuke is a more realistic character, but Joseph is more memorable.) Joseph vs. Whammu is a particularly great set-piece fight. The only part with a real training arc, but it actually work. This is also where the series really gets bizarre. Whammu was a great antagonist, but he wasn't the main villain; Kars was the main villain, and Kars was sort of generic, personality-wise. What goals did Kars even have after he became the Ultimate Life Form? The complaint that no one other than Joseph does anything is slightly exaggerated, but it's true that no good guy other than Joseph wins an extended fight.

Part 7: The part with the best plot, though to be fair, most of the previous parts weren't really trying to have a plot. The characters were complex, though not quite as memorable as the Part 4 ones. The actual fights are what places this below Part 2; most of them are good, but some get confusing (especially Civil War).

Part 6: It was good to see some well-written female characters after the cringeworthy ones in Parts 3 and 4, and a main character who has to work to use their Stand cleverly after the somewhat overpowered Giorno. Also some cool and bizarre Stands like Underworld and Limp Bizkit. On the other hand, the art took a step backwards in some ways, to the point of making some of the fight scenes confusing. I have no strong feelings either way about the ending, but I can understand why some people hate it.

Part 5: Everything stops making sense as soon as Silver Chariot Requiem shows up. The characterization is better than 3 but not as good as 4 overall; Diavolo is the weak point here. Some good fights (in a similar vein to Part 4), but a couple of them lasted too long.

Part 3: It's weird that this part eclipsed the others in the public mind until the anime came out. Araki was clearly still figuring Stands out, and there's some weak fights (Dark Blue Moon, Strength, Wheel of Fortune, High Priestess...basically all Jotaro's solo fights except Yellow Temperance, come to think of it). Aside from Polnareff, the characters aren't fleshed out much. And DIO doesn't really do anything until the end. On the other hand, there's some really good fights too, like Pet Shop and D'Arby the Gambler.

Part 1: If I was going by the anime versions this would be ranked higher. As it is, though, it has the worst art (reminiscent of Rob Liefeld) and several chapters go by at the beginning before anything really happens (not a huge problem for me when I read it, but when you consider it was originally serialized in Jump, this counts against it). As a character, Jonathan is a mixed bag; Araki himself has admitted he lacks the flaws a really compelling character needs, but his relationship with Erina (while rather trite) is the only actually compelling romance prior to Part 8 (Joseph and Suzy Q barely interact (although Joseph's cheating suggests Araki noticed this too), and Yukako and Annasui are hosed up people that Koichi and Jolyne should have stayed away from).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 15, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Part 3 eclipsed all the others in the West because it was the only part we had any exposure to, between the old OVA and the Capcom fighter.

Not really weird at all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexie posted:

Part 3 eclipsed all the others in the West because it was the only part we had any exposure to, between the old OVA and the Capcom fighter.

Not really weird at all.

Even in other Japanese media, though, you see a lot more references to Part 3 than to the other parts.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Even in other Japanese media, though, you see a lot more references to Part 3 than to the other parts.

These two facts are entirely related and most assuredly the reason why Part 3 was exported while others were not.

Part 3 is the most marketable and popular in Japan → Part 3 is seen as most likely to succeed in the west.

e:
Digging DIO's theme in EoH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqGzPIuIto

There's also Yukako and Hermes today.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 15, 2015

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The thing about part 3 was that it was kind of revolutionary. It inspired a lot of mangakas and was the first part where JJBA becomes JJBA. For that alone, it became iconic. It's more or less the same reason Final Fantasy VII is the most remembered one. Jotaro is just JJBA's Cloud Strife. He been around for a while, and is likely the Jojo people have seen the most of.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Part 3 is what put Jojo on the map and turned it into what it's become.

That later (or earlier) parts might be "Better" is irrelevant; Part 3 is the moment Jojo went from being Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

comparing jotaro to cloud is actually pretty apt because that sort of personality was actually all the rage back then. people got really invested in jotaro in general, and to an extent he's probably the 'face' of jojo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so with all these metaphors who's cloud in dbz- gently caress nevermind it's obviously future trunks