Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Collateral Damage posted:

Ours are just countrycode-sequence number-type

So FR-01234-WS2 would be a windows 2008 server in France. -WS1 would be 2003. -RH would be a Red Hat server and so on. Sequence numbers aren't reused.

Fuckers had some idea to do this at one time

GR-1-AC-001
(location)-(building #)-(dept)-(computer #)
Grand Rapids, Building 1, Accounting, computer #1 (like we're going to have 100 computers in accounting when we have 6)

So I changed it to

'jsmith'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

When you're an international organisation with geographically and organisationally diverse teams the role of the server isn't always decided by the time it's provisioned.

We then have documentation on sharepoint with a huge list of all the servers and their roles, responsible team, which ESX cluster and datastore(s) it's running on, and so on. Some times it's even up to date. :v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

When you're an international organisation with geographically and organisationally diverse teams the role of the server isn't always decided by the time it's provisioned.

That's just weird to me. We don't provision servers in production unless it's been approved to fill a need. Except for very rare cases, the only things running on bare metal are the actual servers running the VM host. Everything else is a VM that can be provisioned and deployed rapidly. At least from what I can tell when I request a server to be spun up (I'm not a sys admin). I get a notice from one the admins that says, "I'm getting ready to deploy. Here's your hostname/IP. I'll let you know when it's ready" and then not much longer after that "Ok, it's done."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's not for technical reasons. This is the finance biz, which means any task gets spread out over half a dozen teams, each with its own approval board.

Requesting a new virtual server is a 2-4 month process depending on how many people are available (i.e. not on vacation, not in the process of reorganisation, not been let go with no replacement, and not just cockblocking you out of spite) at any given time.

So given those constraints, you don't request one server at a time. You sit down at the start of the year and think "how many new/replacement VMs will we need in the coming six months?" If you come up with an answer of 20, you then go and order 25 VMs with boilerplate configurations and and hopefully by the time the need arises the server will be ready.

If you then realize the role you're planning needs more storage or another network connection or something like that, then at least you only need to request that from one or two specific teams, so that can be done in "only" a couple of weeks.

:smith:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 11, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

It's not for technical reasons. This is the finance biz, which means any task gets spread out over half a dozen teams, each with its own approval board.

Requesting a new virtual server is a 2-4 month process depending on how many people are available (i.e. not on vacation, not in the process of reorganisation, not been let go with no replacement, and not just cockblocking you out of spite) at any given time.

So given those constraints, you don't request one server at a time. You sit down at the start of the year and think "how many new/replacement VMs will we need in the coming six months?" If you come up with an answer of 20, you then go and order 25 VMs with boilerplate configurations and and hopefully by the time the need arises the server will be ready.

If you then realize the role you're planning needs more storage or another network connection or something like that, then at least you only need to request that from one or two specific teams, so that can be done in "only" a couple of weeks.

:smith:

I hate that I know so much about your pain, but am also so glad to be done with it forever.

I hope :ohdear:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Had a contractor come in a while ago to install a security system. The main unit it networked and the cameras can be viewed through its web page.

Contractor plugs it in, and it gets an address through DHCP. He sets the device to static IP, using the same IP, and then fucks off. I'm sure you can see where the rest of this is going.

I've seen printer guys do the same thing. What the hell?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Had a contractor come in a while ago to install a security system. The main unit it networked and the cameras can be viewed through its web page.

Contractor plugs it in, and it gets an address through DHCP. He sets the device to static IP, using the same IP, and then fucks off. I'm sure you can see where the rest of this is going.

Invite him back and discuss the issue using the Baseball Bat of Loving Correction.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I had a job a while ago where this was the standard method to add new printers.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
In theory that's an acceptable method, as the DHCP server should be trying to ping an IP before handing it out. With the number of devices that don't respond to ICMP or DHCP servers that don't actually try, it doesn't work out very well.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Best practice is getting the MAC beforehand and setting a reservation in DHCP before the printer ever shows up. Then it doesn't matter what the contractor does, whether he leaves DHCP on or sets static the first IP he gets.

Finding contractors that are willing to give you the mac address beforehand is like hitting the lottery though. Once you find one willing to do this, you never call anybody ever again.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I work at a major multinational corporation. There are several European nations smaller than our global workforce. Related to that, getting approval to spend more than four figures is a multi-step process, with approvals required from about half a dozen groups/boards/committees, but half of those are just rubber stamps.

So when I tell you "I am not on that group/board/committee", asking me to approve something a fourth or fifth time will get you the same response: I cannot, because I'm not on that group/board/committee. Just because you keep asking, I'm not going to hack into the web tool we use to manage those approvals so I can add myself (and generate more work for myself).

For poo poo's sake, how did you even get my email? When you're looking to see who's holding up your purchase, you can click on the group/board/committee link, and it lists everyone who CAN approve it. Notice my conspicuous absence? If course not. That'd involve cognitive investment, which is in short supply, especially this closer to the end of the year.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Filthy Lucre posted:

In theory that's an acceptable method, as the DHCP server should be trying to ping an IP before handing it out. With the number of devices that don't respond to ICMP or DHCP servers that don't actually try, it doesn't work out very well.

Except the Windows DHCP server does not do this by default. It can be configured to, but it's disabled out of the box for some idiotic reason and I've never once come in to an environment where someone had actually turned it on.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Best practice is getting the MAC beforehand and setting a reservation in DHCP before the printer ever shows up. Then it doesn't matter what the contractor does, whether he leaves DHCP on or sets static the first IP he gets.

Finding contractors that are willing to give you the mac address beforehand is like hitting the lottery though. Once you find one willing to do this, you never call anybody ever again.

You're looking at this wrong. If they want their poo poo to work they will bloody well fork over a MAC. No MAC means they'll get their own private VLAN with nothing but silence for company.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

wolrah posted:

Except the Windows DHCP server does not do this by default. It can be configured to, but it's disabled out of the box for some idiotic reason and I've never once come in to an environment where someone had actually turned it on.

I honestly don't have it configured but now that you meantion it I probably should. There has to be a reason it is off by default right? Perhaps it would slow down the request process enough to cause issues?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I would have been more than happy if they just told me they needed a static ip, or a dhcp reservation. Pinging addresses before assigning them or not, I don't want random poo poo on the network I can't locate like a mystery static ip. Instead they just installed a network appliance without any communication with anyone who runs the network.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Speaking of random poo poo on networks, we just found a managed hp 8g poe+ switch on our network with no admin password. We quickly figured out it belongs to the company our security department uses to install the security cameras.

Which also do not have admin passwords and can be webbed in to freely.

poo poo I don't want know about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

hihifellow posted:

Speaking of random poo poo on networks, we just found a managed hp 8g poe+ switch on our network with no admin password. We quickly figured out it belongs to the company our security department uses to install the security cameras.

Which also do not have admin passwords and can be webbed in to freely.

poo poo I don't want know about.

My first instinct would have it not be on the internal network anyway. That way it doesn't matter what the hell they do with it security wise.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can't imagine trying to get my Xerox people to give me a MAC address of a device before it is delivered. They have enough trouble just telling me what week we might get it.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The guys that sell/service our Ricoh equipment (in the DFW area) have always been really good about that sort of thing.

And of course the organization I'm a part of decided to switch to Konica Minolta for any future contracts. :v:

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

And of course the organization I'm a part of decided to switch to Konica Minolta for any future contracts. :v:

All I can say is, good luck with that.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Llab posted:

All I can say is, good luck with that.

Yeah... thanks, heh. The Ricohs we've got have contracts good for another 2 years. The odds of me still being here when they're due to be replaced are pretty slim, but who knows.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 11, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

No, guy who's leaving, it's not cool to give no fucks about handing stuff over and inject "I don't give a gently caress because I won't be here" into every discussion about someone taking over the services you look after.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
No, you're Ipad Pro isn't here. The vendor doesn't have them in stock because it's brand new and Christmas, and the approval got held up, just like we've told you everyday for the last week.

Oh that's cool, you hung up on my lead and told him "it better be here by tomorrow". Sure, let me get the vendor to magically stop letting these be backordered.

What a loving child that guy is. He's on the new management team, and they are considerably less patient or well-mannered than the people they're replacing. I have no respect for them already and they haven't even officially taken over yet. Thankfully, a vice-CIO told him trying to strongarm IT (particularly when it's due to third parties) and acting like the baby he's been acting like is not acceptable. It's honestly more than I expecting. I'm glad we have someone on high in our corner.

I'm giving this place another year while I get my CCNA. If the new management tear up the pleasant culture here, I have little other reason to stay :yotj:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

No, guy who's leaving, it's not cool to give no fucks about handing stuff over and inject "I don't give a gently caress because I won't be here" into every discussion about someone taking over the services you look after.
You just don't understand how awesome it is to leave a job as he is clearly the only person who has ever done so.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Skandranon posted:

I hate that I know so much about your pain, but am also so glad to be done with it forever.

I hope :ohdear:

loving this.

I worked for the exact same type of org before coming here, and this place is like a sweet sweet breath of fresh air. "Fail fast and move on." Yes please!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Few pages late to the MP3 player chat, but here you go guys, Deadbeef has experimental OSX support, you're welcome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Somehow our head of engineering doesn't have a computer at home, or internet. He did a powerpoint for our 2016 business planning session, and he had a link on a slide to a youtube video.

He kept putting the red dot from the laser point on the link and said FOR SOME REASON ITS NOT OPENING

We all just kind of stared at him...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rackspace migrates our Exchange 2013 over to 2016. Takes for loving ever.

Monday morning rolls around. Skype doesn't work. They didn't enable it on the new environment. Bastards.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Back from a week of working from home, and you know what I missed the most? My cube neighbor who burps, farts, and narrates everything he does. I think I'll count the number of emails he sends today, since he'll say "...and sent" for every one.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 14, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Not pissing me off today! Got a 25$ giftcard, a new mug, and there's a party at a local bowling ally/arcade for the engineering group today!

Also the engineering group is going to see Star Wars on Friday. :woop:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

New user started today, went over with HR if they had a 2 word last name or a middle name. HR insisted they asked and it was a middle name. It was a two word last name.

Had to change all their account names and have an awkward conversation about incorrect information (that I totally blamed on HR). I hate information being wrong, it just looks unprofessional. On the up side they said this is the first place they've been to that actually had an account for them in the first week so I guess it's not horrible.

Windows might bitch at them since they logged in with the old details while I was changing their account to the correct information. I really have never lab tested this situation, but windows doesn't seem to care yet.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It always baffles me how HR people who have been in the workforce three times as long as me still require quarterly lectures about basic things like "verifying and entering the correct personal information when performing employment verification or hiring".

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
HR fucks up constantly at every company I've been at.

Tide comes in, tide goes out. No one can explain that.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2015

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Dear LyncSkype for Business sysadmin,

Somehow I don't think the best approach to resetting everyone's LyncSkype for Business passwords to a temporary one was to send an email with everyone CCed and a document attached containing everyone's login and temporary password.

From, a concerned employee

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ratbert90 posted:

Also the engineering group is going to see Star Wars on Friday. :woop:

Thursday 6pm, thanks Dell. I'll sit through a 30 minute sales pitch for a free movie ticket and snacks. :smugdog:

poo poo that is pissing me off today: network admin rolled out switch firmware updates yesterday morning, and a 48 port at our biggest location outside of hq is bricked. Said network admin has been on a plane for the last 2 and a half hours so its been up to me, a windows engineer who knows how to do sh run and that's about it, to try and clean up the mess the network admin created.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Sheep posted:

It always baffles me how HR people who have been in the workforce three times as long as me still require quarterly lectures about basic things like "verifying and entering the correct personal information when performing employment verification or hiring".

HR is where you put the people too incompetent to do literally anything else. It's a place for the cat ladies and middle-aged people who hate change to sit it out and wait for retirement.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

The last 3 places I've worked at, the HR person that hired me was on their way out within 2 weeks of my start day (at one place it was literally my start date, which made for a super fun time fixing all of the short-timer "I don't care" stuff they did with my information), and I've reliably outlasted at least three of their successors. I think they just literally rotate from company to company because the only people involved with hiring them are the HR types interviewing them, who themselves are poo poo and/or on their way out.

Tigntink posted:

Tide comes in, tide goes out.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sweevo posted:

HR is where you put the people too incompetent to do literally anything else. It's a place for the cat ladies and middle-aged people who hate change to sit it out and wait for retirement.

It's nice that people with liberal arts degrees have someplace to work other than McDonalds, though.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's nice that people with liberal arts degrees have someplace to work other than McDonalds, though.

Is it, really? Seems we'd all be better off without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Seriously.

This probably isn't the thread to ask, but does anyone have an experience with an HR hero? A single encounter where you walked away from an HR event going, "That HR person loving nailed it."