Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Munin posted:

Quick random question, Good Produced isn't an option in the nation designer right? It's not just me being blind?

It was replaced with reduced development costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

I just formed England since I was English primary culture and had just finished them off. Anyway I now can Reconquest for their French cores, and the Irish cores I just conquered in war. Lmao. That makes no sense, really. Sadly I don't get the option to take English ideas even though I thought player CNs could do that? Mine are better for this achievement anyway.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm trying to knock out the 5 allies with 100 trust achievement while I sit and wait to get Admin 10 to form the Uncommonwealth and I really wish favors accumulated a bit faster. It takes 200 years of maintaining an alliance to get enough favors naturally to bump Trust up by 50. That seems kind of extreme considering how hard it is to maintain an alliance for like 50 years, let alone for literally half the game. That's not even factoring in all the times Trust gets bumped down by 5-10 from things like declining horrible CTAs from your other dumb allies. Maybe make joining a war take 20 instead of 10 and double how many you get each year. Then again I'm not even sure what Trust affects anymore since you spend favors or promise land to call allies into wars now and am just doing this for the achievement so it's not exactly the biggest deal in the world.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Munin posted:

Quick random question, Good Produced isn't an option in the nation designer right? It's not just me being blind?

It is not a possible custom nation NI, no.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Doing my Zoroastrian run by starting in...

...Brunei.

Start off with half of Brunei and half of Kutai, win the first war, have enough boats to win a war with the other Indonesian/Malaysian powers, colonize and chomp your way through Africa and Indochina with impunity.

This probably isn't quite as good a plan for the Norse run, because you need to crush England and Scandinavia in time to convert them, but it's pretty hilarious and mitigates the weakness of being a 200-point power that literally everyone gets religion penalties with. I really love Asian starts. Extremely strong colonial region, but also plenty of space to have fun in the Indian Thunderdome and eventually beat the midgame boss Ming.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The new alliance system doesn't make any more sense than the old system. If anything, it makes less sense. Some things are nice, like being able to promise land in exchange for participation, but other times it seems like really unintuitive things are happening. I supported the independence of a colonial nation, and was the only nation to do so, but once we won I first gained 23 favors and then they immediately broke the alliance with me, despite having 100+ relations and no border conflicts, because somehow my trust with them was really low?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Yeah the favors system is interesting but the trust system is hosed and doesn't make any sense. You probably went to war with that colonial nation at some point in the past which bombs their trust with you forever and the only real way to increase it is to... ally them and use the favors to increase trust before they break the alliance from low trust

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sounds pretty historical to me. :colbert:

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

The new alliance system doesn't make any more sense than the old system. If anything, it makes less sense. Some things are nice, like being able to promise land in exchange for participation, but other times it seems like really unintuitive things are happening. I supported the independence of a colonial nation, and was the only nation to do so, but once we won I first gained 23 favors and then they immediately broke the alliance with me, despite having 100+ relations and no border conflicts, because somehow my trust with them was really low?
Honestly favors just makes alliances tedious and slows the game down especially for small powers.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Too Poetic posted:

Honestly favors just makes alliances tedious and slows the game down especially for small powers.

Favors aren't necessary if you can promise your ally some kind of gain. Favors slow down the ability to exploit AI allies who have nothing to gain.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I haven't noticed favors getting in the way even as freakin byz. Is it an expansion only thing?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, expansion only.

The thing is, even favors or promising territory to your ally won't guarantee that they'll answer your call to arms. The AI can still tell you to gently caress off if they don't want to fight, and you need to invest the favors into trust to get any kind of reliability for that. Or at least in theory, because I've yet to see an alliance last long enough to gain a significant number of favors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Antti posted:

I never got that far, I was consolidating and getting ready to switch to Manchu when Korea decided they really wanted Huncun. Ming jumped in, I retreated into the northern wilderness and tried to hit back without losing my entire stack but they just kept coming, and then I ran out of manpower. My favourite part was how Mongolia got independent, ate the rest of the other northern hordes, allied me and then didn't bother joining the war to even give me a fighting chance.

All the Manchu tips online say you should ally Oirat, but I haven't been able to in half a dozen starts.

This seems to keep happening, if I try playing as anything but a secure European power like OE, Portugal or England I just get stomped. Maybe there's some One Weird Trick to fighting defensive wars that I don't understand.

Ming just really, really sucks to fight. I've played two Mongolia games now, one much more successful than the other. Ming has an almost endless reserve of both men and money, so what you really want is to not have to fight them at all. As Mongolia it's pretty easy to ally with Uzbek to demolish Oirat, and then you just have to blob as hard as humanly possible to gain enough cash to afford an army that looks frightening. The Manchu tribes should technically be easier, since you don't start as a subject, so you probably need to blitz your way west until you can ally Oirat or Uzbek. Either way that first fight with Ming will be pretty rough, but the good news is that if you can beat them back once, the trauma of a bad loss is sometimes enough to shatter them entirely.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's also that whole great wall thing which makes Ming a huge pain in the rear end to fight because you have to spend a couple of years babysitting your sieging armies as they slowly punch a hole through it. Meanwhile Ming's throwing tens of thousands of troops into your territory so even if you have a numbers advantage against them it's hard to actually pin them down and win a battle decisively enough to matter.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, expansion only.

The thing is, even favors or promising territory to your ally won't guarantee that they'll answer your call to arms. The AI can still tell you to gently caress off if they don't want to fight, and you need to invest the favors into trust to get any kind of reliability for that. Or at least in theory, because I've yet to see an alliance last long enough to gain a significant number of favors.

It sounds like every expansion feature is a big headache.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Average Bear posted:

It sounds like every expansion feature is a big headache.

I'm starting to feel that way as well.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
They're not, hth.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I get that they prevent you from expanding so hard but there's no reward to not expanding hard.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, expansion only.

Or not. I've played Kazan games where I ally Timurids day 1 and then they join me in a wardec on Nogai day 2.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

They don't prevent you from expanding hard? what.

this expansion owned

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, expansion only.

Any particular nations? I've been playing as the ottomans and not really noticed anything like that (never manually touched trust at all either) but maybe that's because I'm king poo poo

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

They don't prevent you from expanding hard? what.

this expansion owned

That was the intent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dibujante posted:

Or not. I've played Kazan games where I ally Timurids day 1 and then they join me in a wardec on Nogai day 2.

Yeah, you got lucky, probably by having common rivals. Try allying the Timurids and getting them to attack Muscovy. You still have the usual plus or minus factors that you have to overcome to get a country to do what you want, but the trust and favor system just adds an extra hoop to jump through.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What is the significance of having 4 cav in your army?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's for flanking. If your front line is at least as wide as the opposing army's, then up to four cavalry regiments will be able to attack without taking damage in return. Infantry can also flank, but they have a smaller flanking range so only up to two regiments can flank. Flanking range increases with tech, so at MIL 18 you'll want 6 cavalry, 8 at MIL 23, and 10 at MIL 30.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

That was the intent.

they do nothing to prevent you from expanding, they just make the AI harder to game into helping you

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Average Bear posted:

I get that they prevent you from expanding so hard but there's no reward to not expanding hard.

Uhh...

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

so i definitely just realized that the loyalty bonuses you get from events are permanent, affecting estates' base loyalty, and not time-based which has made estates a little bit easier for me. still difficult to keep influence down sometimes, but its easier when i dont have to use the loyalty actions which often increase influence at the same time to keep them happy.

playing a game as Mamluks and it's a lot of fun. vassalized AQ and fed them those two little nations next to them, dulkakid or whatever, to keep ottomans from bordering me while i went off conquering the gulf peninsula and the western coast of the red sea. this is my first game being really pushy with aggressive expansion. i always used to play it safe and i'm realizing now how much that's slowed me down. the "may coalition you" indicator is still only a "may". even ottomans didn't coalition me at -60 AE after i vassalized AQ and fed them that strip over 4 years or so. what modifiers affect the willingness to coalition?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, you got lucky, probably by having common rivals. Try allying the Timurids and getting them to attack Muscovy. You still have the usual plus or minus factors that you have to overcome to get a country to do what you want, but the trust and favor system just adds an extra hoop to jump through.

That's the point, though. They have no territorial ambitions on Muscovy.

The new alliance system means that the only way you can get strangers to fight for you is mutual interest. That makes sense.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

If you're not a horde. Estates were meant to make internal politics get in the way of expansion. Diplomacy was changed so big allies stop joining your OPM wars.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
They obviously both failed to do so

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Started a game as Hamburg, surprised that they're an Oligarchic Republic and not Merchant - is Oligarchic new? I'm wondering if it would be worth it to take Trade and Economic first in order to switch to a Merchant Republic. Trade is solid, but Economic isn't my favorite idea set. The extra Merchant and Caravan Power from Merchant Republic would be nice, but I'm not convinced it's worth taking Economic over Admin. How much does the foreign goods produced thing actually do? Are there any non-obvious reasons why Merchant Republic is better?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Aaaah, almost done with my Theodoro game. Since everyone near me has been essentially falling apart due to everyone ganging up on them or rebellions aplenty, I have successfully captured half of Russia, with the other half owned by Novgorod who is in a personal union with me.

So yeah, I'm pretty much going to be Russia except Gothic culture, which means I can't make Russia. :<

Cultureswap to Russian after converting a ton of land to Gothic, then swap back to Gothic after forming Russia.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Why would you choose to lose the best color in the game?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Average Bear posted:

Why would you choose to lose the best color in the game?

Hopefully the next DLC reworks the country formation decisions so that you form nations to improve your colour. Of course, this means that Theodoro is always formable unless you're Theodoro.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

This Re-Reconquista might not have been possible without my best bro Netherlands having all his rebellion events fire in the middle of my massive war with France (who at the time had 5 provinces in Iberia), taking with him all those juicy lowland provinces and sending 80k event troops into the streets of Paris.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 14, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

This Re-Reconquista might not have been possible without my best bro Netherlands having all his rebellion events fire in the middle of my massive war with France (who at the time had 5 provinces in Iberia), taking with him all those juicy lowland provinces and sending 80k event troops into the streets of Paris.

I was trying to spot the difference between the two maps for five minutes until I realised they had the same URL.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Freudian posted:

I was trying to spot the difference between the two maps for five minutes until I realised they had the same URL.

Fixed sorry, meant to have one be the religious mapmode

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is that a Tunisian North Sea? Catholic Japan? What

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Koramei posted:

Is that a Tunisian North Sea?