Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
in that it's not a friendly-raider arena area? Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mr Hootington posted:

So is the Combat Zone as big of a disappointment as it looks?

Do you like (interesting locale) where the only thing to do is (kill raiders/triggermen/gunners)? Then (Combat Zone/the racetrack/that one vault/most of the loving game) is perfect for you!

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

None of it barely makes any difference though if you're sniping with a stealth build cause both will kill mostly anything very quickly.

What difficulty are you playing on and do you have Rifleman?

I'm not trying to be snarky or whatever, legit question. In my game (survival) I would headshot guys from sneak and it'd do maybe a third to a half of their life, this was with max ninja modifier. I could one shot them with sneak-melee but not any kind of sneak ranged. Well, sorta.
From mid-range with the deliverer (no pistol or sandman perks) I could have a better chance at killing something than with a rifle. The first X shots from the deliverer would all count as sneak attack damage so I just slammed the trigger as fast as my fat fingers would allow me and I'd have dead super mutants.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

BambooEarpick posted:

What difficulty are you playing on and do you have Rifleman?

I'm not trying to be snarky or whatever, legit question. In my game (survival) I would headshot guys from sneak and it'd do maybe a third to a half of their life, this was with max ninja modifier. I could one shot them with sneak-melee but not any kind of sneak ranged. Well, sorta.
From mid-range with the deliverer (no pistol or sandman perks) I could have a better chance at killing something than with a rifle. The first X shots from the deliverer would all count as sneak attack damage so I just slammed the trigger as fast as my fat fingers would allow me and I'd have dead super mutants.

I'm playing on hard, and I do have rifleman. I guess I should tick it up to survivor cause fights are way too easy at the moment.

I installed that adjusted encounter zones mod thingy which already made most enemies much higher level so they don't all die in one hit but yeah let's see what goes down in survival.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

a worthy uhh posted:

Do you like (interesting locale) where the only thing to do is (kill raiders/triggermen/gunners)? Then (Combat Zone/the racetrack/that one vault/most of the loving game) is perfect for you!

Oh cool. I'll add it to my disappointment pile. Just like the racetrack. And that weird crashed Stars and Stripes airplane. Or the lighthouse. Or the boat city. Or not being able to reclaim Quincy. Or.....

khy
Aug 15, 2005

i scrimped and I saved and I levelled and I picked up the Big Boy and I gave it the Experimental MIRV.

And now i have the biggest challenge in the game : Figuring out where I can use this ultra death cannon without murdering myself when I fire it.

Pulling the trigger consumes 1 mini-nuke. It fires 12 shots each time I pull the trigger.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Laura-4-Lyfe posted:

Everyone's favorite friend bot, Apple!

Oh man. I gotta make Turbo Kid now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess it's a good thing that I do, in fact, like hurting other people otherwise Fallout 4 wouldn't be the game for me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Anyone know if Superior is better than Improved when it comes to weapon mods? I would assume so, but this isn't something that there are numbers visible to check against.

cloneboy
May 7, 2014
I fully modded a .50 bolt pipe rifle, and it does more damage than a fully modded .50 sniper rifle. Is it supposed to work that way?

Also, having a Blade Runner esque plot and not having the .223 pistol is a huge bonehead move, wtf Bethesda?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Mega64 posted:

Continuing the end-game conversation, Kid Shaun is kinda worthless anyway since after you save his rear end all he does is go, "HEY DAD CAN I HAVE SOME JUNK" and after you get it he's all, "HERE'S SOME STUPID WEAPON MODS I MADE SOMEHOW YOU CAN GO SELL THEM SINCE THEY'RE WORTHLESS TO YOU" without adding anything else interesting. I don't think you can even have a conversation with the guy after you dump his rear end on Mirelurk Island or wherever.

Yeah, that's my biggest disappointment tbh. He does have some :unsmith: lines though, so that kind of makes up for lack of interaction. Still, I'd have loved to have a quest or two, or just to be able to take him exploring with me. I guess Bethesda assumed most of us would leave him behind, because we're psychopaths or something, or they just didn't think it was worth it because they're autistic and don't quite grasp emotions.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

khy posted:

i scrimped and I saved and I levelled and I picked up the Big Boy and I gave it the Experimental MIRV.

And now i have the biggest challenge in the game : Figuring out where I can use this ultra death cannon without murdering myself when I fire it.

Pulling the trigger consumes 1 mini-nuke. It fires 12 shots each time I pull the trigger.

My guess would be only in a VERY open area and give it a good arc when you fire so it lands extremely far away. I killed myself with the MIRV in Fallout 3 so many times by not doing those things.

I personally would also fire it into the ocean at least once because I feel like that would probably look and sound amazing, but then I do things like that in these games.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

khy posted:

Libertalia

from the shore

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

My guess would be only in a VERY open area and give it a good arc when you fire so it lands extremely far away. I killed myself with the MIRV in Fallout 3 so many times by not doing those things.

I personally would also fire it into the ocean at least once because I feel like that would probably look and sound amazing, but then I do things like that in these games.

I should clarify, there's plenty of places to use it but to use it as intended - as the thunder of god smiting all my enemies - that's harder.

I am going to redesign my drive-in base so that the entrance is on the west side instead of the east. That way I can go up to the top of the drive-in screen and fire off MIRV shots from there. Then I will find out how to spawn like 30 deathclaws and sentry bots and see how much destruction I can unleash in a single wave.

I have 50 mini-nukes in my inventory. That's 600 shots with my modded big boy.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

mackintosh posted:

Yeah, that's my biggest disappointment tbh. He does have some :unsmith: lines though, so that kind of makes up for lack of interaction. Still, I'd have loved to have a quest or two, or just to be able to take him exploring with me. I guess Bethesda assumed most of us would leave him behind, because we're psychopaths or something, or they just didn't think it was worth it because they're autistic and don't quite grasp emotions.

I came away thinking that you're probably pretty emotionally messed up if you want a permanent robo child as a surrogate for the real live human baby that you lost. Why am I supposed to be attached to this thing that just gets dumped on me at the very last second? That's not my kid.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mr Hootington posted:

So is the Combat Zone as big of a disappointment as it looks?

It could have been the best place for Unarmed shenanigans and prizefighting, but NOPE LET'S MAKE ALL THE RAIDER AUDIENCE HOSTILE SO YOU CAN SCREW OVER SOME rear end in a top hat GHOUL AND HIS JUNKIE FIGHTER.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

khy posted:

I should clarify, there's plenty of places to use it but to use it as intended - as the thunder of god smiting all my enemies - that's harder.

I am going to redesign my drive-in base so that the entrance is on the west side instead of the east. That way I can go up to the top of the drive-in screen and fire off MIRV shots from there. Then I will find out how to spawn like 30 deathclaws and sentry bots and see how much destruction I can unleash in a single wave.

I have 50 mini-nukes in my inventory. That's 600 shots with my modded big boy.

Using it would probably drive me crazy. All those precious junk items, scattered to the wind.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

popewiles posted:

I came away thinking that you're probably pretty emotionally messed up if you want a permanent robo child as a surrogate for the real live human baby that you lost. Why am I supposed to be attached to this thing that just gets dumped on me at the very last second? That's not my kid.

Or you could have come away thinking that you're a kind, loving person, who can look past this synth being a misguided attempt at Shaun giving you a chance to relive what you've lost and accept him for what he is - a child in need of a home. That's my take on it. gently caress Shaun, it's not this kid's fault for what he is.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

widespread posted:

It could have been the best place for Unarmed shenanigans and prizefighting, but NOPE LET'S MAKE ALL THE RAIDER AUDIENCE HOSTILE SO YOU CAN SCREW OVER SOME rear end in a top hat GHOUL AND HIS JUNKIE FIGHTER.

I liked that Tommy didn't really want to be the announcer when Cait inevitably got beaten/killed because she was too high. It was a solid interaction for the companion handoff, but the Combat Zone and the racetrack were (as was already said) huuuuuuge missed opportunities. Like, they could have had you send certain bots you hacked to the track. Players love video game slot machines (cf. randomized loot in so many games and the literal slot machines in Borderlands) and having a racetrack minigame would have been fun. Sending settlers you didn't like to fight in the Combat Zone would have been fun too. It would have been fun to come back later and see Marcy Long's record.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So I left Nick behind at the memory den after I finished Dangerous Minds, and now he's nowhere to be found. This has happened before when he needs to be somewhere specific for a mission, but I don't think that would be the case here, are their any specific places I should try? I've been to all my settlements, as well as his office. I'm on PS4, so I can't just use the console to track him down.

I miss my PI friend.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

homullus posted:

I liked that Tommy didn't really want to be the announcer when Cait inevitably got beaten/killed because she was too high. It was a solid interaction for the companion handoff, but the Combat Zone and the racetrack were (as was already said) huuuuuuge missed opportunities. Like, they could have had you send certain bots you hacked to the track. Players love video game slot machines (cf. randomized loot in so many games and the literal slot machines in Borderlands) and having a racetrack minigame would have been fun. Sending settlers you didn't like to fight in the Combat Zone would have been fun too. It would have been fun to come back later and see Marcy Long's record.

Now I just want a mini online component at the Combat Zone where the different players each outfit a settler of choice and then see who emerges victorious.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

homullus posted:

Tommy is essential, which could either suggest there might be more to his character, or that Bethesda were lazy and forgot to remove the flag once you were done with Cait's scripted event.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mackintosh posted:

Tommy is essential, which could either suggest there might be more to his character, or that Bethesda were lazy and forgot to remove the flag once you were done with Cait's scripted event.

I am totally on board with DLC that allows you to scout and send new talent to the rebooted Combat Zone, and maybe make some caps betting on combatants. Or fighting in there your own drat self.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

So I left Nick behind at the memory den after I finished Dangerous Minds, and now he's nowhere to be found. This has happened before when he needs to be somewhere specific for a mission, but I don't think that would be the case here, are their any specific places I should try? I've been to all my settlements, as well as his office. I'm on PS4, so I can't just use the console to track him down.

I miss my PI friend.

I've heard sometimes he goes to Piper's office, but that's usually during the Reunions quest. Might be worth a look though.

I also remember when he was at the Memory Den with me, he tended to hang out in the front entrance area and was really easy to completely miss just because he was hard to see.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 14, 2015

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Remember how good the arena in Oblivion was? No?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

Using it would probably drive me crazy. All those precious junk items, scattered to the wind.

By the time you get GN4 and Science4, how much junk do you still need? I haven't changed guns since I got GN4.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gotta build more jukeboxes in your 300 sqft house that's forty feet off the ground and only held up by some stairs.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Remember how good the arena in Oblivion was? No?

Who gives a poo poo? I'd rather have a lovely implemented mini game than an obviously cut section. There is no way in hell it wasn't supposed to be more. Same with the race track.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Speaking of gun modification, do any ballistic weapons have parts that increase critical damage? My lucky plasma pistol with the crit receiver is completely bananas with a high luck build, but it would be nice to have a silencer.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

khy posted:

By the time you get GN4 and Science4, how much junk do you still need? I haven't changed guns since I got GN4.

I use it to build settlements and stuff more than anything, if you aren't doing that then you probably don't. I also just have a compulsive need to pick up stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Remember how good the arena in Oblivion Fallout 2 was?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What is a good weapon to give to companions that they are effective at and won't eat through the entire ammo supply in less than 20 minutes? Seriously Cait, I gave you 100 rounds not two second ago?!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

double nine posted:

What is a good weapon to give to companions that they are effective at and won't eat through the entire ammo supply in less than 20 minutes? Seriously Cait, I gave you 100 rounds not two second ago?!

Their default weapon?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just give Cait a Super Sledge

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Are there stats out there on how much damage companions' default weapons do?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

double nine posted:

I gave all of mine sniper rifles or double barrels for the low rof

Not that they ever really got a shot off, they were mostly there to carry poo poo for me until I could afford the lone wanderer perk. Without their clunky asses I could probably reverse pickpocket deathclaws.

Speaking of sneaking, anyone know exactly how the calculations work? Is shadowed armor better than no armor at all since weight affects stealth, or does muffled/shadowed give a net positive?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mr Hootington posted:

Their default weapon?

Seriously. Unless you're giving them a meelee weapon, let companions use their default or whatever they pick up. it's not worth bothering to give them anything besides all the junk you find.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
It's really not that much effort to keep them stocked on ammo for a decent gun going into mid/late-game, and giving them a decent gun turns them from a pea shooter turret into a perfectly passable killing machine. Just give them a large enough wad of said ammo that you don't have to worry about it very often. I don't find it that tedious to just notice when they've gone back to using their default and restock them, either. If you're going to the trouble of checking their ammo level manually, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously, actually bothering to put gear on your follower does make a big difference and as soon as I did I immediately regretted not doing it a lot sooner.

e: Also, don't waste your time giving them an automatic weapon. It's still doable to keep them stocked on ammo, but it's a lot more expensive for minimal benefit. I'm partial to a laser musket or sniper rifle. Their aim isn't bad that way. So, +1 to low ROF weapons.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 14, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

It's really not that much effort to keep them stocked on ammo for a decent gun going into mid/late-game, and giving them a decent gun turns them from a pea shooter turret into a perfectly passable killing machine. Just give them a large enough wad of said ammo that you don't have to worry about it very often. I don't find it that tedious to just notice when they've gone back to using their default and restock them, either. If you're going to the trouble of checking their ammo level manually, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously, actually bothering to put gear on your follower does make a big difference and as soon as I did I immediately regretted not doing it a lot sooner.

I quit doing it when they repeatedly picked up pipe pistols to use instead of the modded combat rifle with plenty of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Did you go into their inventory and tell them to actually equip the gun you gave them? It's not enough to just trade it to them. They never did that to me.

• Locked thread