Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if he has a quirk, apart from pinpoint accurate ball punching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

I wonder if he has a quirk, apart from pinpoint accurate ball punching.

I'm guessing yes, and furthermore I'm going to guess it's a drat loving shame he isn't/doesn't want to use it to save people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Uraraka!

Ida!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It would be more notable if he didn't have one. It is the standard in this setting.

KoB
May 1, 2009
This whole time I thought she was blond :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's weird because in the manga, she's shaded like she has light hair, but in colored illustrations, she's always been a dark brown.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

KoB posted:

This whole time I thought she was blond :v:

Then you've been ignoring the many excellent colour covers and promo shots that happen quite often cause MHA is really popular!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Eej posted:

Then you've been ignoring the many excellent colour covers and promo shots that happen quite often cause MHA is really popular!
MHA has fewer color covers and pages than Black Clover I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Did Black Clover ever move beyond being a generic as gently caress mash up of Shonen's Greatest Hits?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's actually been surprisingly decent recently.
Not good mind you. But it had some funny moments and neat characters show up.
It's still very much playing by the tropes, but it's inoffensive enough that I don't mind it taking up 20-ish pages each week.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

Did Black Clover ever move beyond being a generic as gently caress mash up of Shonen's Greatest Hits?
Not really. It did do a somewhat cliche-diverting turn where the protagonist actually lost a fight and got kidnapped, and the notHokage actually did something and was pretty badass instead of sitting on his rear end waiting for some plot contrivance to kill him.

But nah, now Aster is building a harem so no cliche goes left untouched.

I do think the author for some reason actually gets what kids are like though- the little kids in Black Clover aren't 3 foot tall snarky teenagers but instead act like actual little children, and as a guy who has a ton of little brats in my extended family now Aster's interactions with them are pretty :3:. He's a good uncle.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Black Clover is decent, but unexceptional. It mixes things up enough that it could get better with time, though. It is never gonna be as good as MHA, but maybe it could be the next naruto.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Every One Piece needs a Naruto or Bleach to look better than.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover kinda survives on the graces of Naruto being gone and a lot of stuff in Jump's lineup being headed for the door all at the same time.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Fabricated posted:

MHA has fewer color covers and pages than Black Clover I think.

That's weird cause MHA has consistently been higher than Black Clover in the popularity rankings forever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
black clover is really generic but i like the main character beating people because he's the only person in the world to have done any exercise

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Everyone falling for Asters sole gimmick went from tiresome to pretty funny. I think we're up to like actually over a dozen people being shocked when he clubs them in the face with his sword.

In actual mha talk, why are so many people elsewhere surprised that the amine character designs are so good? How hard is it to gently caress up?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 14, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, isn't the excuse he's like a Fighter in a world of very squishy (Like AD&D Max HP of 3) wizards?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fabricated posted:

Everyone falling for Asters sole gimmick went from tiresome to pretty funny. I think we're up to like actually over a dozen people being shocked when he clubs them in the face with his sword.

In actual mha talk, why are so many people elsewhere surprised that the amine character designs are so good? How hard is it to gently caress up?

With a decent budget? hard. With most-anime budgets: you have to simplify/streamline the characters and you may not have enough money to get a good designer that makes an acceptable work

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Are people surprised? I haven't read many reactions to them, but it seems like a pretty close translation from the manga so I'm happy with them. I haven't read/watched enough to have seen a bad adaptation in a long while though.

Also what a great chapter. I was disappointed when early impressions talked about them skipping the forest, but I adore this manga's character interactions so I'm plenty happy to watch that instead of an action montage, even though that would still have been really cool.

But honestly this manga could be 19 pages of random pictures of characters doing things and it would be worth reading for the faces alone. Horikoshi packs so much personality into every one.

Also also Mineta continues to be great. "Don't defile our school's motto like that!!" And Uraraka looks so different with her hecka bangs pushed back.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 14, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Its easy for anime with unique artstyles to get generic-ized. Jitsu Wa for one.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Made a thread for Black Clover here.

Special thanks to Jose for the title.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think it helps in this case that MHA's designs are for the most part already pretty simple. Everything about them is just so... clear, and distinctive, but without needing to add in a bunch of minuscule details that overcomplicate things. Really, the biggest concern was always going to be the proportions - since as many of us have noted, they're rather stocky compared to many other artstyles - but they seem to have that down fine.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Distinctive character designs are very important in a manga like this.

Kohei knows what he's doing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

*Bangs my fists on Umakoshi's desk*

Show me the frog.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Waffleman_ posted:

Show me the frog.

'Kay

:frog:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Umakoshi does it again!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna spend my entire day powering through every chapter of My Hero Academia! Wish me luck!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Parrotine posted:

I'm gonna do it! I'm gonna spend my entire day powering through every chapter of My Hero Academia! Wish me luck!

It's only 71 weekly chapters. Not exactly a major undertaking. Six hours, tops.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

Parrotine posted:

Ask me about the day where I accidentally discovered and read all of Monster.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I reread all of MHA back when I was drafting my hypothetical episode schedule and yeah, goes by pretty quick.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Parrotine posted:

it's good you'll enjoy yourself.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I went back to the middle of the sports festival tournament to find a page for a specific line I wanted to reference in a conversation but then I wound up reading 3 or 4 chapters after that before realizing what I was doing.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Eponymous posted:

I'd like to say I did the same thing for 20th Century Boys, but I realized the time and remembered I had work the next day when I got to the 20th/21st switch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TriffTshngo posted:

I went back to the middle of the sports festival tournament to find a page for a specific line I wanted to reference in a conversation but then I wound up reading 3 or 4 chapters after that before realizing what I was doing.

This happens a lot with me when going back to find pages.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

This happens a lot with me when going back to find pages.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Eponymous posted:

Just finished doing that for Assassination Classroom yesterday.

On a note related to this chapter, poor Iida. His punishment for castigating Mineta's perversion was a face full of Mineta-rear end.

Also, I like how Deku prioritized making sure the kid was okay over putting on some pants. It's one of those little things that reinforces what we know about his personality.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Sandman posted:

Just finished doing that for Assassination Classroom yesterday.

On a note related to this chapter, poor Iida. His punishment for castigating Mineta's perversion was a face full of Mineta-rear end.

Also, I like how Deku prioritized making sure the kid was okay over putting on some pants. It's one of those little things that reinforces what we know about his personality.

I thought it was the sugar guy who got up close and personal with Mineta's butt?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That's definitely Iida. You can see the thrusters on his legs and everything, in case it wasn't obvious enough without them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anime's coming in April.

Ayane Sakura (Marii Buratei from Joshiraku) is Uraraka
Kaito Ishikawa (Genos) is Iida