Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tekopo posted:

Can someone read the text for tractor beams?

"The agility value of the ship is reduced by 1 for each tractor beam token to a minimum of 0."

Tractor beam tokens are removed during the end phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Even if you can't use the TIE/d title, Stele with Mangler and X7 will be pretty sweet.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Strobe posted:

Bringing along a pair of generic X7 Defenders (30 points each ) and a pumped up Vader (with 40 to spend) sounds like it'll be fun.

And I had that squadron in a mission in TIE FIGHTER, making me want to do that as my only purchases.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

"The agility value of the ship is reduced by 1 for each tractor beam token to a minimum of 0."

How expensive are Tractor beams? :getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

How expensive are Tractor beams? :getin:

1 point, but range 1 only I think.

Edit: Noooope, 1-3.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Strobe posted:

"Once per round, when you discard an [EPT] upgrade, flip that card face-up."

I'm confused because I'm new, how does this work? If a card is discarded, how do you flip it face up? Or is face down = discarded? I.e. this would let you crack shot twice?

Also: Wanna put dem long range scanners on Redline.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

I just realized that what this means is that you can pair a TIE/D with a tractor beam, you fire the tractor beam first since TIE/D goes "cannon, then primary," and if you nail the tractor shot then not only does your followup 3 red primary attack get the benefit of reducing the ship's agility by 1 but every other ship that attacks that target gets the benefit of the tractor token as well.

For a TIE/D, this is a 1 point upgrade.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kai Tave posted:

I just realized that what this means is that you can pair a TIE/D with a tractor beam, you fire the tractor beam first since TIE/D goes "cannon, then primary," and if you nail the tractor shot then not only does your followup 3 red primary attack get the benefit of reducing the ship's agility by 1 but every other ship that attacks that target gets the benefit of the tractor token as well.

Four reds. Tractor Beams are range 1 cannons.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My boyfriend bought a TIE Defender a while ago just to have the model. When I got into the game he followed but was disappointed in the ship's performance. He's having a crappy time at work lately and is having a nap right now but he's going to be so happy when he wakes up to find the messages I left for him about this :3:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Deviant posted:

I'm confused because I'm new, how does this work? If a card is discarded, how do you flip it face up? Or is face down = discarded? I.e. this would let you crack shot twice?

This would let you use Crack Shot (or Cool Hand) every round.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Kai Tave posted:

Strobe posted:

Not anymore! The card in this preview says 1-3, unlike the last time it was shown.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
^^^Oh gently caress, for real? That's gonna get nuts if it's still 1 point.

Strobe posted:

I thought it was range 1-2, my mistake. Okay, that's slightly better but still kinda awesome.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I thought we weren't going to see a way for Defenders to slam the W key and cycle between main guns and ion cannons and cancel the cooldowns after they made that a thing Y-Wings can do, but I'm pretty happy to have been wrong.

I'm also really happy to see title fixes that provide an actual choice because there's more than one option.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Deviant posted:

Technically when you "discard" stuff you just flip it face down to represent it's gone, and he can flip em back up. It means he turns those elite pilot talents that are usually a one and done deal into a permanent/reusable effect.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Poopy Palpy posted:

I thought we weren't going to see a way for Defenders to slam the W key and cycle between main guns and ion cannons and cancel the cooldowns after they made that a thing Y-Wings can do, but I'm pretty happy to have been wrong.

I'm also really happy to see title fixes that provide an actual choice because there's more than one option.

I like titles that have a tradeoff of some kind (like BTL-A4 is great because even though it's 0 points there are good reasons not to take it) but giving it two free titles that take the ship's performance in opposite directions is also a great way to do it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tekopo posted:

A ship with at least one tractor beam token assigned to it follows special rules during these phases:

Combat Phase: The agility value of that ship is reduced by 1 for each tractor beam token to a minimum of 0

End Phase: Remove all tractor beam tokens from the ship.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 14, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Wait wait wait, Colonel Vessery with the tie/d and either a tractor or an ion cannon :stare:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tekopo posted:

Been trying for ten minutes with various filters but got nothing ebtter than blur. It says something about End Phase and something else (Combat?) Phase but that's all I got.

E:

AndyElusive posted:

A ship with at least one tractor beam token assigned to it follows special rules during these phases:

Combat Phase: The agility value of that ship is reduced by 1 for each tractor beam token to a minimum of 0

End Phase: Remove all tractor beam tokens from the ship.

Very nice if you can get a hit with it, but the sort of ships you'll want to be targetting, you won't be hitting much. It'll be good against the Poes and such, the ones you do chipping damage to and then they regen.

Not what I was hoping for, I have to say. I was hoping for something along the lines of making white maneuvers red and green maneuvers white.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 14, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You literally just need a lower PS ship to have a target lock on what you are firing and you get two free target locks, one for each shot.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Tekopo posted:

Wait wait wait, Colonel Vessery with the tie/d and either a tractor or an ion cannon :stare:

Give him VI, and then put him backing up Rexler with the X7 and PTL for a TL + focus. :science:

EDIT: With 25 points left over!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like seriously, the Ghost is neat and all, yay Kanan and Sabine, but can we talk about how completely out of left field this pack is? Perma-EPT TIE Bomber ace, two Defender titles that both do rad things, high PS generics for both ships, Long Range Scanners, Tractor Beams, Mark Steel in a Defender, and what looks like a new crew upgrade hidden beneath other cards. Systems Officer? Something. Goddamn.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Oh my god
Oh my god
Is that motherfucking Deathrain as the second TIE Bomber?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Don't think so, the pilot skill value is wrong and the ability has " or after" visible, which isn't in deathrain's ability.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 14, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also TIE/x7 title means free evades whenever you pull off the Defender's white K-turn.

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god
Oh my god

I don't think so, both the PS value and the unique ability look different.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh my god
Oh my god

Name looks good, and deathrain has "after dropping bomb you may barrel roll" so it sure could be the same pilot ability too

e: PS is low but hey, maybe deathrain just isn't good at flying things that aren't punishers.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The text is different for the pilot ability.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm already pretty into Imperials, and I like the way they play, this might well cement them for me as the faction of choice. I'm liking the look of both those defender titles particularly.

Given we now know what Tractor Beams do, how much to they gently caress with? For only 1 point they can't be expected to do much, but they do sound like a solid effect to get on a slot that otherwise gets little use.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Tractor Beam tokens reduce ships' agility by 1 per token, tokens are removed in the end phase.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm already pretty into Imperials, and I like the way they play, this might well cement them for me as the faction of choice. I'm liking the look of both those defender titles particularly.

Given we now know what Tractor Beams do, how much to they gently caress with? For only 1 point they can't be expected to do much, but they do sound like a solid effect to get on a slot that otherwise gets little use.

Reducing defender agility is kind of a big deal, it's what makes Wedge Antilles such a hard-hitter among other things, but the opportunity cost for equipping a Tractor Beam on most ships is that A). you're using your attack to do 0 damage and simply setting up future attacks from other ships of yours and B). by taking the Tractor Beam you're giving up a cannon slot that could have a Mangler or HLC on it. The TIE/D gets to double-dip so it's uniquely suited to take advantage of it, but you probably aren't gonna run a Tractor Beam on, say, Kath Scarlet.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

TIE/X7 is also "assign an evade token" and not "perform a free evade action", so it works even if you are stressed or bump something. Plus the cost reduction, drat. It's an impressively good title. I really want to give someone the Triple D now.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

Reducing defender agility is kind of a big deal, it's what makes Wedge Antilles such a hard-hitter among other things, but the opportunity cost for equipping a Tractor Beam on most ships is that A). you're using your attack to do 0 damage and simply setting up future attacks from other ships of yours and B). by taking the Tractor Beam you're giving up a cannon slot that could have a Mangler or HLC on it. The TIE/D gets to double-dip so it's uniquely suited to take advantage of it, but you probably aren't gonna run a Tractor Beam on, say, Kath Scarlet.

Yeah, it's very well suited for TIE/D but *could* be used elsewhere if you wanted. Might maybe be worth it on a Heavy Scyk for support as a scum player.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

You could *maybe* get some synergy in a Brobots build? Give them both a Tractor Beam and whatever other cannons, so one can tractor while the other fires, and use IG-88B just in case you miss?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ojetor posted:

TIE/X7 is also "assign an evade token" and not "perform a free evade action", so it works even if you are stressed or bump something. Plus the cost reduction, drat. It's an impressively good title. I really want to give someone the Triple D now.

Rexler Brath (37) [36]
TIE X7 (-2)
Crack Shot (1)

Colonel Vessery (35) [36]
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

Delta Squadron Pilot (30) [28[
TIE X7 (-2)

Total: 100

:getin:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Strobe posted:

Rexler Brath (37) [36]
TIE X7 (-2)
Crack Shot (1)

Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

TIE X7 (-2)

Hell.
Yes.

e: I'd drop Crack Shot on Rexler for VI on Vessery, so Vessery can shoot first, but still. :getin:

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 14, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, that's my basic thought - the effect is good, but hitting with it is a challenge on the guys you want to hit with, and to do it you're giving up a high-initiative shot that might instead put out a crit or a wreck, or it's just not doing anything much. The real thing I'm thinking is that it might go very nicely with a swarm list. Put up one cheap pilot with it, plus a high-init guy with Swarm Tactics, then get 6 shots with -1 agility.

Seems like it's much better fitted to Imps than Scum, overall.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, for the Dutch Courage list I can't find my seismec charge token. So I swapped it for an ion bomb (Not ideal I know). I also used D6 to give him VI instead of a regular r2 unit. Should I just drop the EM and bomb to give myself 4 points to toss an EU on wedge or wes, or use elsewhere?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Hahahaha I predicted the new Tie D title exactly, except costed at 2 points, weeks ago and my group shouted me down being a selfish imperial player wanting OP ships and I'm gloating so much right now.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The new TIE Bomber guy with Adrenaline Rush can do white 5-K's all day. Probably not the best use of that ability but hilarious all the same.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

hoiyes posted:

selfish imperial player wanting OP ships

*plays Ghost and crew exclusively, complains about imperial ships*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Strobe posted:

Rexler Brath (37) [36]
TIE X7 (-2)
Crack Shot (1)

Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)

TIE X7 (-2)

Use that TIE Bomber pilot that doesn't lose EPTs on discards with crackshot and ordnance. Watch as the enemy gets -2 agility and can't use evade tokens against a homing missile.

• Locked thread