Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Beards make you look like a hipster now, which is to say an idiot

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Infinotize posted:

That's nice dear.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Infinotize posted:

Soon beards will be too mainstream, and the hipsters will have nowhere else to go but further up their own assholes. The new facial hair style will encompass styling your beard to look like taint hair.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I literally have a beard and my granddad's name was literally Riker. Literally.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I cannot grow a beard, it is why I troll on the Internet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

I cannot grow a beard, it is why I troll on the Internet.

Closet beard spotted.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I literally have a beard and my granddad's name was literally Riker. Literally.

literally Riker is a pretty good name, if a bit long.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Unlike all of you I do have a big bushy beard. She's called marissa. :)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
:perfect:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My mom asked what I wanted for Christmas and I said "a dirt bike." she better come through on this.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm looking forward to you unwrapping a previously-owned bicycle with some mud on it.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That'd be cool I want bike for exercising anyway; better than running.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
It would be one of these:

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 14, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AncientTV posted:

These are the children's equivalent of cvt motorbikes btw. Learn to pedal you wuss.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

These are the children's equivalent of cvt motorbikes btw. Learn to pedal you wuss.

These are actually awesome for kids and teach them the motor skills and, in particular, the balance required to ride a bicycle far earlier than they're capable of learning otherwise.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Welp, I'm no longer a Ducatisti, courtesy of the quickest loving bike theft in history. Literally in the time it took me to pay for petrol two little cunts managed to bundle my bike away to places unknown. I assume they had a van or something round the corner because it's a long, straight road and there's no way they ran it out of sight in the time it took me to notice and start looking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Security footage at the gas station?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Welp, I'm no longer a Ducatisti, courtesy of the quickest loving bike theft in history. Literally in the time it took me to pay for petrol two little cunts managed to bundle my bike away to places unknown. I assume they had a van or something round the corner because it's a long, straight road and there's no way they ran it out of sight in the time it took me to notice and start looking.

You live in London, right? Isn't every inch of the city under surveillance?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Security footage at the gas station?

clutchpuck posted:

You live in London, right? Isn't every inch of the city under surveillance?

There's CCTV at the petrol station, yeah, and Plod are looking for others, but unfortunately London isn't the Orwellian Panopticon people believe and once they're out on the street they're gone.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's CCTV at the petrol station, yeah, and Plod are looking for others, but unfortunately London isn't the Orwellian Panopticon people believe and once they're out on the street they're gone.

That sucks. At least now you can finally live the CA dream of owning a super duke! :3:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

That sucks. At least now you can finally live the CA dream of owning a super duke! :3:

Once the insurance are done with me I'll be lucky to be able to afford

AncientTV posted:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Once the insurance are done with me I'll be lucky to be able to afford

we got you fam
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/strider-sport-12-ducati-balance-bike

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
You know what's just occured to me, and hurt me far more than losing the bike? My family have bought me loads of stuff for the bike for Christmas, and all their effort and money has been wasted.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

AncientTV posted:

Guess my nephew gets another bike he won't ride.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How the gently caress. That is terrible.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
There are no sufficient words for how enraging bike thieves are. Could you not do crimes that are so costly and damaging to others and give nothing back to society?! Why are people so broken?

I'm sorry you lost your ducati, man. That is the pits on every level. Were you the one with the scrambler, or did you have some super fancy superbike?

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That sucks. Just curious, did you have the steering column locked? I always feel stupid doing that for less than 5 minutes but maybe I'm justified.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dutymode posted:

That sucks. Just curious, did you have the steering column locked? I always feel stupid doing that for less than 5 minutes but maybe I'm justified.

Nope. I'm normally pretty careful about it but I was in a hurry and must have forgotten.

Just gone over my helmet footage and it was 127 seconds from me turning my back on the bike to coming back out. Unbelievable.

Coydog posted:

There are no sufficient words for how enraging bike thieves are. Could you not do crimes that are so costly and damaging to others and give nothing back to society?! Why are people so broken?

I'm sorry you lost your ducati, man. That is the pits on every level. Were you the one with the scrambler, or did you have some super fancy superbike?

Monster 821 Stripe. I feel like the gods are punishing me for the hubris of getting the Stripe.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just gone over my helmet footage and it was 127 seconds from me turning my back on the bike to coming back out. Unbelievable.

That's insane. :(

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I left my bike outside a shop one night to get the tires changed the next day. When I came back to pick it up I made a comment to the guy from the shop about how I probably should have locked my steering. He shrugged and said "they just pull up next to it with a truck or flatbed with 2 or 3 big guys and throw it on. Locking the steering would make no difference." So, it probably wouldn't have mattered. They don't really care about dinging it up or breaking plastics, they only care about getting out of there quickly. There really is nothing you can do vs a determined thief other than good insurance. Hope they find your bike.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nope. I'm normally pretty careful about it but I was in a hurry and must have forgotten.

Monster 821 Stripe. I feel like the gods are punishing me for the hubris of getting the Stripe.

Aw man, I'm so sorry. I hope they find it soon.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Whoa :( Do you have comprehensive insurance?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Here's a long reddit discussion with a former bike thief. Lots of interesting insights.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama

Takeaway from that: if you don't want your bike stolen, don't own a modern sport bike, and don't park it outside. Otherwise someone who wants it is going to get it. If it was stolen by a professional, chances of getting it back are near-zero because it's parted out within 24 hours.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
127 seconds, holy poo poo. Sucks buddy :(

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's so hosed because there's like...I mean...there is nothing you could've done. As quick as they were, there is no way they were unprepared for steering/brake locks.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Goddamn, dude. That's hosed. :(

I hope you don't get as hosed by the insurance company as you're expecting!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I bet they just camp the petrol station until someone comes in with a tasty bike. Depending on how dodgy the oval office who runs/works at the petrol station is, he might even make the blind spots on the CCTV known to interested parties.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

I bet they just camp the petrol station until someone comes in with a tasty bike. Depending on how dodgy the oval office who runs/works at the petrol station is, he might even make the blind spots on the CCTV known to interested parties.

I've now heard of at least two other people who've had an identical thing happen at the same place. In both cases it was local kids and the bike got burned out when they couldn't get it started. It's just such a pointless way for a bike to go - if it were a gang of international jewel thieves looking for an awesome getaway vehicle then it'd be a different matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As someone who has had 2 bikes stolen, and multiple attempts all I can say is that you can't dwell on it. It will make you bitter and paranoid. You'll start to resent even having a bike after a while.

There isn't much you can do about someone that stole a bike that fast. Even if you locked your steering, used disc locks, and covered it at the gas station they would have probably grabbed the bike. Hopefully you'll get the bike back with little to no damage, and if not then I hope the bike thieves burn in a special place in hell.