Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Has anybody here noted the website's 404 messages? Because they're *amazing*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
There's a new episode of Lou Reads, and it's about the five-finger discount.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There's a new episode of Lou Reads, and it's about the five-finger discount.
Oh, this is going to be a doozie. If I've learned one thing from the times this has come up here, it's that the "lifting" """community""" has an unlimited capacity for self-righteousness over stealing fancy clothes.

Edit: Huh, no crazy shoplifter drama, but at least I now have specific knowledge of theft techniques for every clothing outlet known to man. Educational?

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 12, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I remember that time when someone posted on tumblr (I know) about how they were fighting the oppressive capitalistic system by shoplifting, the thing was that they had lifted a single sock and some other minuscule things and they had lifted them from goodwill.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
That's the thing that enraged me the most with the reading you can make a twisted sort of argument for lifting from big chains, 'if I can get away with it then I should because Business screws everyone' type of thing, but stealing from goodwill is just low.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
It could just be that, in the same way the druggies can't conceive of a world where anyone passes a drug test, Goodwill might be the fanciest store those people are aware of. :shrug:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It could also be that they're opportunistic shitbags. :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Or they're thieving fuckers and want to cover their avarice with a misplaced morality code.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I think it's more likely they're just idiots who are too young or stupid to properly think through what they're doing. Someone on tumblr said "capitalism caused all the problem we're constantly signal boosting with our reblogs, and you can turn capitalism on it's head by stealing" and then they said okay, yeah, great, I can have free stuff and it's totally fine to do it!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think it's a combo of them being dumb kids with poor impulse control and also wanting to switch off the "I done hosed up" thoughts with "NO I AM THE HERO HERE!"

Much like many other subjects of atrocity tourism.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Never tried Lou Reads before, enjoying it immensely so far.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

EmmyOk posted:

Never tried Lou Reads before, enjoying it immensely so far.
Listen to the Pokémon vore and brony waifu episodes right now. Some of the craziest poo poo you'll ever hear.

Other short-list recommendations (too much trouble to link them all, but there's a search box for that):

Cum on food
Cum in shoes
"11:11 Angels"
Multiple bugchasing episodes (the latest one is the most, uh, bracing)
Multiple crazy drug episodes
Multiple "real" vampire episodes
Survivalists
Stormfront
Self-harm support group
Eunuch support group
Penis enlargement (better than the F+ one)
Squat the Planet (also better than the F+ one)
Episodes about out-of-control butt stuff
Episodes about bestiality
"Nice Guys" and "Happy Bachelors" who are a hair away from Elliot Rodgering the next female who crosses them

There's also a really sweet one about dads pranking their kids, along with one about child abuse that I will probably never listen to.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 13, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
His second episode based on Raw Top's Breeding Zone is what I give to friends who I get to listen to the F Plus and say that they don't think the gross episodes are very gross. I know that makes me a bad friend.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

talk poo poo get hit :colbert:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The "breeding" fetish is so god drat wrong on so many levels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hark, what light on yonder window breaks?

It is the F Plus, and the subject is Yahoo Answers.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Oh my god? OH MY GOD!

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Oh my god, yes.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Whenever one of my friends (because I push FPlus on all the good people I meet, and the ones that stay become my friends) asks me what my favorite "genre" of docket is, I always say, "Hmmm, "edgy" teenagers, or maybe magic episodes, I don't really have a -oh no it's advice. QA/advice sites are the best, objectively."

May Yahoo Answers and WikiHow reign glorious for 1000 years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like any episode that's advice, QA, or people's ideas. Basically, people bein' dumb.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I like any episode that's advice, QA, or people's ideas. Basically, people bein' dumb.

The FPlus is, at its core, capturing people being dumb on the Internet, and these episodes are like slamming your ear into pure Columbian dumb powder.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I wasn't sure if Yahoo! Answers were as good as I remembered or if it was just rose-tinted glasses.
Then the first question came up and all my hopes were confirmed.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel like we need a Best Spellings Hall of Fame or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the QA ones first, then anything but recipe ones, then recipe ones. Seems like recently for every recipe that's just mayonnaise and cheese water, there's two that are just the team mugging like crazy over the basic recipe for rice crispy treats.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
As a Midwesterner, I believe the recipe episodes are mostly Lemon overcompensating for being from Minnesota and acting like he's too good for some cream soup based hotdish

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

the 'penix' bit almost killed me.

The whole episode could have just been readings of mispronunciations of common words and I'd be fine with it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
One day, when Yahoo answers burns to the ground, the mighty penix will rise from the ashes.

If you know what I mean. :dance:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

One day, when Yahoo answers burns to the ground, the mighty penix will rise from the ashes.

If you know what I mean. :dance:

After hearing that reading, I'm pretty sure nobody knows.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Do you have any sources that you cited for that?"
"I do. My sources are 'good luck with that'."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yeah, I still enjoy the recipe episodes, but screeching about "potatoes and cream of mushroom casserole" just as much as "fish jello" is pretty :rolleyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, that penix question reads like a Harry Potter spell.

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?

The Chairman posted:

As a Midwesterner, I believe the recipe episodes are mostly Lemon overcompensating for being from Minnesota and acting like he's too good for some cream soup based hotdish
As a Midwesterner and human being who has made dinner with minimal pre-packaged ingredients, I can tell you that just throwing jars and cans of food into a bowl is not a healthy way to eat or think about food.

I eat like poo poo too, and I'll sometimes go for a canned tomato or a pre made pasta, but there is absolutely no defending a breakfast taco with pepperoni eyeballs.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Bozarth posted:

As a Midwesterner and human being who has made dinner with minimal pre-packaged ingredients, I can tell you that just throwing jars and cans of food into a bowl is not a healthy way to eat or think about food.

I eat like poo poo too, and I'll sometimes go for a canned tomato or a pre made pasta, but there is absolutely no defending a breakfast taco with pepperoni eyeballs.

Oh, I know that's all bad for you, I just think a lot of the recipes aren't the exceptional kind of horror some of the reactions seem to imply. They're a more prosaic, grinding kind of sadness.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Chairman posted:

Oh, I know that's all bad for you, I just think a lot of the recipes aren't the exceptional kind of horror some of the reactions seem to imply. They're a more prosaic, grinding kind of sadness.

I kinda agree, but there's comedy there when the author acts like this is a totally normal thing to eat everyday or like a breakfast or something. I mean we all have days where we just go gently caress IT and make what is essentially human-grade dog food, but I think we KNOW that's what we're doing. A lot of these people seem to think that what they're doing is special eating.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I think the recipe episodes just need a better source than industrial websites. The earlier ones had literal food horror, this one had people saying a sausage apple tart sounds gross (apples and sausages are meant to be together, it's fate), acting shocked that fifty servings together seems pretty nutritionally excessive, and that valentine mouse bit. Like, that just needed to be vetted pre-recording, the stunned reaction to using either peanut butter or frosting died on the vine the moment you become aware it's just a gingerbread house "make a basically inedible statue out of food" thing.

Overall though, I feel like poo poo for nitpicking, this is generally my favorite show on the podcastwaves.

BootsRaingear
Sep 10, 2013

I can't grow a beard.

theironjef posted:

Overall though, I feel like poo poo for nitpicking, this is generally my favorite show on the podcastwaves.

I like the feedback. The vast majority of opinions that have been shared in this thread have been quite fair and reasonable, going against a lot of the preconceptions I had about Something Awful. In the end, we'll keep picking the material that we find most fun, but it's really nice to have a gauge of what may or may not work for listeners. Thanks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

BootsRaingear posted:

I like the feedback. The vast majority of opinions that have been shared in this thread have been quite fair and reasonable, going against a lot of the preconceptions I had about Something Awful. In the end, we'll keep picking the material that we find most fun, but it's really nice to have a gauge of what may or may not work for listeners. Thanks.

I get that. I just had someone leave a comment on my own show that we're "getting too American" (we review old roleplaying games). Still working on how to fix that exactly.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

theironjef posted:

I think the recipe episodes just need a better source than industrial websites. The earlier ones had literal food horror, this one had people saying a sausage apple tart sounds gross (apples and sausages are meant to be together, it's fate), acting shocked that fifty servings together seems pretty nutritionally excessive, and that valentine mouse bit. Like, that just needed to be vetted pre-recording, the stunned reaction to using either peanut butter or frosting died on the vine the moment you become aware it's just a gingerbread house "make a basically inedible statue out of food" thing.

I agree - the food episodes were much more fun (some of my favorites, even!) when they were unholy horrors unto god. Sausage and apple is...totally normal and in fact delicious. The last food episode before this one had the same sorts of overblown reactions to foods that sounded boring at worst. Might as well spend an episode mocking people eating hot dogs at ball games.

Hummus and tabbouleh would start sounding unhealthy if you looked at the nutritional totals for 40 servings, too.

More Dorito sandwiches and less sausage apple tarts, please.

e: Hi Boots! Is it kosher to ask why the Thunderdome doc didn't survive the hopper?

and oh man there's a doc on Indigo Children, I can hardly wait

Echo Cian fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 14, 2015

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?
I should also add that to me, the corporate recipes are more insidious because of that normalcy factor. I mean, yes it is fun to balk at gross flavor profiles and the over-use of ranch, but the recipes from the corporate food episode are creepy and unsettling. It's like getting to see what your favorite college bar looks like in the harsh light of day. It's probably one of the few episodes where a regular schmo who doesn't photoshop cars frotting with dragon dildos can get that feeling of "Oh, poo poo, I do that!"

Maybe that's just me looking for existential horrors everywhere. To echo Boots, I am really glad that the F Plus fans gathering here are so supportive and complimentary and hardly ever strident. I sometimes browse The Dollop thread in RGD and I don't think anyone in that thread actually enjoys the show they're meant to be discussing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The funniest part of the recipe episodes, to me, isn't the recipes themselves. They're gross, but most of them aren't really that unusual or hard to imagine. It's more the completely hopeless white trash posting with glee about how delicious they are. Yum-o! That's why "To Serve Otherkin" is one of my favorite episodes -- the comedy isn't in the recipes, the comedy is the weirdos posting them. The recipes exist as a medium for people to reveal the depressing nihilistic void within themselves.

I mean, sometimes I eat garbage on a plate too because I'm hungry and broke and that's what's in the pantry. But I don't post about how it's a family favorite that will have a horde of friends clamoring at the door for more.