Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
khy
Aug 15, 2005

My ever-expanding wishlist of Fallout 4 mods :

1) More weapons. Fire Axe, Incinerator, Tesla Cannon, etc.
2) Name settlers.
3) Recharge fusion cores.
4) Infinite companion ammo for any weapon I give them.
5) Pitch-black Power armor with glowing red eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

RBA Starblade posted:

The poison on those things is brutal, even in power armor. I have to pop a couple stimpaks just to counter the health drain.

At least they're not as bad as Cazadores. "Balancing" clearly wasn't in Obsidian's vocabulary.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toadsmash posted:

Did you go into their inventory and tell them to actually equip the gun you gave them? It's not enough to just trade it to them. They never did that to me.

Yes.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

khy posted:

My ever-expanding wishlist of Fallout 4 mods :

1) More weapons. Fire Axe, Incinerator, Tesla Cannon, etc.
2) Name settlers.
3) Recharge fusion cores.

1 & 2 for sure. 3 might be nice, but I have dozens and dozens of fusion cores. Unless you spend the entire game in power armor, they're not that hard to keep a supply of. 4 would be wildly unbalanced if it was any weapon. Just give your companion a fat man and it'd be game over for everything. 5's color scheme sounds dumb as gently caress, but I'd say a custom paint job option with a color wheel would be a definite plus.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Yeah that's never happened to me. I've only seen them switch weapons when they ran out of ammo. Dunno what to tell you!

I don't use a follower at all for my ninja. It's too brutal when the rear end in a top hat ruins my stealth run.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 14, 2015

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

JackBadass posted:

At least they're not as bad as Cazadores. "Balancing" clearly wasn't in Obsidian's vocabulary.

Cazadors look scary, but if you know how to fight them (Target the wings) they're actually pretty easy to kill.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Custom paint jobs for any armor seem pretty obvious oversights/DLC.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Toadsmash posted:

Yeah that's never happened to me. I've only see them switch weapons when they ran out of ammo. Dunno what to tell you!

I don't use a follower at all for my ninja. It's too brutal when the rear end in a top hat ruins my stealth run.

They are just pack mules with side quests to unlock at this point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I can't wait until the DLC is announced as being given access to community mods that have to be submitted and approved by Bethesda and have a price tag attached.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr Hootington posted:

They're pretty effective combatants with a good melee weapon, when their AI doesn't bug the gently caress out and get them stuck on something or lost.

Which is roughly 80% of the time when you're not in an open field. God help you if you want your companion to contribute to a fight indoors.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
They got it in their heads to tie stats to paint jobs. That decision still baffles me. I would've vastly preferred they stay a cosmetic choice.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah, I let them take along and like me doing things til I got them all to idolized then stuck them all in the hotel I built in hangman's alley (other than strong, I assigned him to the airport)

Now that I have strong back 4 I'm gonna move my entire workshop supply of stuff out to the island where me and Cait can live with minimal support robots and the vault tec rep

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Cazadors look scary, but if you know how to fight them (Target the wings) they're actually pretty easy to kill.

Yeah, good luck hitting the wing enough to cripple it fast enough before it's on you, and even if you do, 9 times out of 10 the rest of the swarm is up your rear end with the loving poison.

Bloodbugs are much better. They're tough, but manageable.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

popewiles posted:

I came away thinking that you're probably pretty emotionally messed up if you want a permanent robo child as a surrogate for the real live human baby that you lost. Why am I supposed to be attached to this thing that just gets dumped on me at the very last second? That's not my kid.

well, putting aside Bethesda's awful attempts at emotional manipulation: Synths are effectively humans. You have then, effectively a human child whose memories are entirely that you are its parent. You don't need to feel personally attached to perhaps see some sort of normative obligation there.

Of course this is a Bethesda videogame so I doubt they put more thought into it than ITS SHAUN ITS YOUR KID WHO YOU LOVE

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Toadsmash posted:

They got it in their heads to tie stats to paint jobs. That decision still baffles me. I would've vastly preferred they stay a cosmetic choice.

No reason they can't have both.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

khy posted:

You can sort of get this already with this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/3359

Slap it on the X-01, get the red headlamp upgrade on the helm... and boom. Black paintjob with red eyes (at least when the lamp is on).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Well I just figured out Preston doesn't have a side quest. At least I made him my bottom boy before banishing him to Sanctuary once more.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Hootington posted:

Well I just figured out Preston doesn't have a side quest. At least I made him my bottom boy before banishing him to Sanctuary once more.

His perk ain't bad tho, you're always outnumbered. I like assigning him to artillery, makes him easy to find for quest turnins

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Azhais posted:

His perk ain't bad tho, you're always outnumbered. I like assigning him to artillery, makes him easy to find for quest turnins

Nah I put up with enough of his poo poo.

"General, another settlement needs our help!"

That is great Preston, but could you please fire at the super mutant who is shooting rockets at us?

"General, another settlement needs our help!"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

It bothered me that nobody was happy that I had gone down to Quincy and ended a bunch of Gunners there as well as the Minuteman who had betrayed the town :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

JawKnee posted:

well, putting aside Bethesda's awful attempts at emotional manipulation: Synths are effectively humans. You have then, effectively a human child whose memories are entirely that you are its parent. You don't need to feel personally attached to perhaps see some sort of normative obligation there.

Of course this is a Bethesda videogame so I doubt they put more thought into it than ITS SHAUN ITS YOUR KID WHO YOU LOVE

Those memories are manufactured, though. The protagonist being at least a little repulsed by a weird robot clone of his natural child with fake memories who will likely remain a child forever is a totally understandable reaction without them being a sociopath. That doesn't necessarily mean "leave the synth in a bunker to die", but it also doesn't necessarily mean there's an obligation to love them and give them cuddles like the abominable snowman from Looney Tunes.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

It bothered me that nobody was happy that I had gone down to Quincy and ended a bunch of Gunners there as well as the Minuteman who had betrayed the town :(

I too was surprised there was not a reclaim Quincy quest that had you leading the Minuteman into battle against the Gunners to retake Quincy and from there assault the Gunner's main base Gunners Plaza.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr Hootington posted:

I too was surprised there was not a reclaim Quincy quest that had you leading the Minuteman into battle against the Gunners to retake Quincy and from there assault the Gunner's main base Gunners Plaza.

The only Quincy related quests I've found are Valentine's and one of the Randolph Safehouse steps had me clean it out. Which was irritating since there were three targets to kill including one max ranked assaulttron. I like missions I can just strategically assassinate things. Or like PAM's missions where I can sneak in, open the door, and leave without killing anything. "No, no, I totally secured it P.A.M."

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

khy posted:

What, did the Gatling Laser exploit get fixed?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

Yeah I hated that. It was easy to say no on my BoS playthrough, because duh, synth.

Currently doing a Railroad playthrough and no matter how much I want to say no to the kid I can't because it's pretty much against everything the organization stands for - whether it's my son or not, it's a synth, we we came here with the express purpose of rescuing them. Is there at least an option to dump him off on the Railroad if you do it this way, or is he stuck with you?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

JackBadass posted:

5's color scheme sounds dumb as gently caress

I enjoyed it in FO3.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/18370

Additional things I'd like to see :

6) Map overlay displaying artillery coverage, so I know which settlements to put artillery in.
7) Adjustable Power-Armor HUD colors.
8) DARNUI loving DARNUI WHERE IS MY DARNUI
9) A million more things to put in my settlements
10) JIP's CCC ported over to Fallout 4.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 15, 2015

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So question. If I got the "Legendary On All Difficulties 10x" esp, is there really any need to do Survival? Because for me, I also got some Survival tweaks- namely the one where I do double damage and enemies do TRIPLE damage- and I'm not sure.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if you've tweaked it to be less tedious i don't see a reason not to play it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I hated that. It was easy to say no on my BoS playthrough, because duh, synth.

Currently doing a Railroad playthrough and no matter how much I want to say no to the kid I can't because it's pretty much against everything the organization stands for - whether it's my son or not, it's a synth, we we came here with the express purpose of rescuing them. Is there at least an option to dump him off on the Railroad if you do it this way, or is he stuck with you?

Next time you go to the HQ you get stuck with him, but you can always just send him to some settlement in the middle of nowhere and pretend you're abandoning him as deathclaw fodder.

There really should've been an option to force the Longs to adopt him so they'd finally shut the gently caress up about their stupid dead kid.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JackBadass posted:

1 & 2 for sure. 3 might be nice, but I have dozens and dozens of fusion cores. Unless you spend the entire game in power armor, they're not that hard to keep a supply of. 4 would be wildly unbalanced if it was any weapon. Just give your companion a fat man and it'd be game over for everything. 5's color scheme sounds dumb as gently caress, but I'd say a custom paint job option with a color wheel would be a definite plus.
It's actually really easy to stay in combat armor for basically the entire game, and still have plenty of cores. I made a new character that's 4 in every SPECIAL and who wears power armor all the time, and aside from a window of a couple hours around level 12-16ish where I had to put on some leather and go find a few cores, I have had no problem pushing my int to 9 and getting the fusion core perk and at level 20 I'm starting to find 2-4 cores at a time without any scrounger perk etc.

If I had begun this character with 8 or 9 int and immediately put 1 point into the fusion core perk, I probably wouldn't have ever run out of cores anyway, but I was milking idiot savant until level 10 or so.

FWIW the character I mentioned is now level 20, SPECIAL 12 4 4 5 9 9 8 (in power armor,) I've never taken lockpicking or science or any weapon/armor modding or bonus skills, or stealth. With raw 9 agi I am pretty fuckign stealthy in power armor with my headlamp on though, and regularly get multiple sneak attacks on rooms full of ghouls and poo poo. It seems as though pushing your stats higher in lieu of weapon bonuses actually helps balance things out pretty well, I'm not having too much trouble on very hard, except when I'm stuck trying to kill a skulled sentry bot with a serrated switchblade and a 10mm pistol because I forgot my mines.. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 15, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Blech.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mr Hootington posted:

So is the Combat Zone as big of a disappointment as it looks?

Tommy's got several unused sound clips indicating the player could participate in fights for caps, but it's Fallout 4 so :effort:.

I can't wait for Bethesda to toss it up as a half-assed paid DLC to pad their way through their Season Pass obligations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JawKnee posted:

How the gently caress does the kid even "know" I'm their parent, or have any attachment to me anyway? I mean Shaun was a loving infant.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

coyo7e posted:

How the gently caress does the kid even "know" I'm their parent, or have any attachment to me anyway? I mean Shaun was a loving infant.

Because he was programmed to "know" that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What, did the Gatling Laser exploit get fixed?
Yes, at least on PC as far as I know, according to the fallout wikia.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

How exactly are they going to add new levels/perks/skills/whatever via DLC?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

JackBadass posted:

Because he was programmed to "know" that.
But why would I have any sort of attachment to a fake kid with fake memories? That was what I was replying to - the post I quoted which said that you would obviously care about a robot kid after tearing apart the wasteland to get back your tiny baby boy.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Your real son imprinted him with those memories, making it all the more hosed up. The whole situation is especially suspect if you're on bad terms with the institute. Like clearly this isn't the synth-Shaun you met earlier - this new one was either made or reprogrammed sometime between meeting Shaun for the first time and blowing him up.

I find it weird how judgy everyone is when you decide to leave him behind when the whole scenario reeks of being a trap. Like he's rigged to explode when you warp out of there or something. What other purpose could he possibly serve?

coyo7e posted:

But why would I have any sort of attachment to a fake kid with fake memories? That was what I was replying to - the post I quoted which said that you would obviously care about a robot kid after tearing apart the wasteland to get back your tiny baby boy.

I guess they're counting on you being attached to the idea of Shaun moreso than the real deal. Personally I find the ending very liberating. When there's no one left to tie you to your past you can finally feel free to gently caress around the wasteland like you wanted to do since day one.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Alabaster White posted:

Any new perk will probably be the usual Quest Reward stuff.

I wonder if they'll increase the SPECIAL stats max level to add new perks though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Alabaster White posted:

They don't really need to. They can just add content and gear like the Witcher 3 DLC.

• Locked thread