Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly, during one of the battles while initially using the Berserker's armor his nerves were so shot it turned white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It literally sucks the life out of you, IIRC, which is what happened to skull knight I think??

It's been a while.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DamnGlitch posted:

It literally sucks the life out of you, IIRC, which is what happened to skull knight I think??

It's been a while.

Well he's a rad skeleton now so it can't be all bad.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't the Witch Girl imply that the Skull Knight literally made himself into a skeleton man escaping from Void's eclipse by overusing the armor?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't remember the two being linked, just that he got away, and then he turned himself into a skeleton by overusing the armor. Then again, there are gaping holes in my recollection of this series, so I could be wrong :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if skull knight is supposed to be wearing skeleton armor or is a skeleton wearing armor. Even if it is the former, he is still totally a skeleton underneath.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

All I remember is that the armor was used by skelebro at some point and he is now a skeleton. Pretty sure there was no explicit connection between his skeletonization and the berserk armor.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm not sure if skull knight is supposed to be wearing skeleton armor or is a skeleton wearing armor. Even if it is the former, he is still totally a skeleton underneath.

Do you remember what the armor looked like before Guts' inner demon possessed it for the first time? Very, very similar to the Skull Knight's appearance. I imagine the Skull Knight is basically what you see, and it's a reflection of his subsumption into the armor.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm thinking the armor takes an appearance after the person using it. Guts sees his inner demon as a dog, so that's what the armor becomes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't believe they're off the boat

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Serious Frolicking posted:

It was pointed out to me that in one of the scenes when Skull Knight swallows the behelit Miura used the sound effect of an object hitting something hollow. So SK is basically an empty armor.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

muike posted:

Do you remember what the armor looked like before Guts' inner demon possessed it for the first time? Very, very similar to the Skull Knight's appearance. I imagine the Skull Knight is basically what you see, and it's a reflection of his subsumption into the armor.

So is Guts going to become an immortal werewolf man at the end?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

It was pointed out to me that in one of the scenes when Skull Knight swallows the behelit Miura used the sound effect of an object hitting something hollow. So SK is basically an empty armor.

This sound was also used in the cameo at the end of the Dreamcast game when he shows up and swallows the Behelit that belonged to Balzac. IIRC, it sounded like dropping a rock in big, empty tin can.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The berserk armor looked similar to the skull knight, less fancy though, before Guts got it. It had a skull face at least.

Andrigaar posted:

Got it. Rickert will be Enzo and Erica will be AndrAIa from Reboot in a year or two.

I would be okay with this, Enzo was rad as hell.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

So why does Guts have a streak of white in his hair again?

Gone emo. Sad but true.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Off the boat and next issue Christmas day? What a time to be alive!

crepeface fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 4, 2015

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The understanding I had was the berserker armor keeps the user's body moving but drains the life out of it. Sorta like leaving your lights on in your car. It will work in the short term but do that enough and it will die completely. I like the fact that it isn't firmly understood.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's just a mysterious magical suit of armor. Skull Knight is probably ancient and well past his natural lifespan, at this point he's just a will haunting a suit.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Guts will come back hundreds of years later to a post apocalyptic Falconia the world of Gigantomakia, giant mech tech was invented by Rickert to fight Griffith

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 5, 2015

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Laputanmachine posted:

A place with living scarecrows and where times flows differently. Now all we need is a battle with Artorias.

I wonder if this was always in the plans, or if he noticed all the nods to Berserk in Dark Souls and decided to nod back.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Altered time rates are a pretty common thing in traditional stories about elves. IIRC it was even mentioned in the Peekaf story at the start of the Conviction Arc. Some kid wanders into the realm of the elves and spends a few days there, comes back out and it's been so long everyone he ever knew is dead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a pretty common thing in all tales in general.
Passage of time being the great uniter and all.

So yeah fuckers have been doing janky rear end timeskips since time immemorial.
(I think aomeone is still waiting for the grunting punchline of a joke told a million gears ago, see they never got off the boat)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 6, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So is Guts going to become an immortal werewolf man at the end?

Only if he over-uses the armor, which I think is one of the themes of the story that he doesn't repeat Skull Knight's mistakes. Miura seems to be going for "time is a spiral and not a closed circle" or something like that.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
guts and Griffith both ascend to godhood, Griffith by making deals and compromising and guts by never making deals and never compromising

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ccs posted:

Only if he over-uses the armor, which I think is one of the themes of the story that he doesn't repeat Skull Knight's mistakes.

Really? I thought the theme was that he was doing the exact same things the skull knight did even though he has a giant spooky skullman showing him exactly why you shouldn't do it.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

guts and Griffith both ascend to godhood, Griffith by making deals and compromising and guts by never making deals and never compromising

While Rickert simply builds the Godhand-buster armor.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

temple posted:

The understanding I had was the berserker armor keeps the user's body moving but drains the life out of it. Sorta like leaving your lights on in your car. It will work in the short term but do that enough and it will die completely. I like the fact that it isn't firmly understood.

They show stuff like guts breaks his leg, and then the armor pierces his skin from all sides like an iron maiden and pins the bones together. I dont think it actually drains life force, it just prevents you from feeling pain and forcibly keeps your body moving past its limits. and it makes you go all fuckin crazy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Law Cheetah posted:

They show stuff like guts breaks his leg, and then the armor pierces his skin from all sides like an iron maiden and pins the bones together. I dont think it actually drains life force, it just prevents you from feeling pain and forcibly keeps your body moving past its limits. and it makes you go all fuckin crazy

I think somewhere it said by doing that it slowly eats your body. So the more you rely on it to hold you together, the more it just straight up replaces your bones and flesh until eventually you just are the armor and you become a new skullknight. :shrug: at least that's what I took away from it.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
were they seriously on a boat for 8 years in this manga cause thats pretty impressive if so

how many issues was that? what the gently caress did they do on this boat the whole time? this must have been some boat!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mr. Unlucky posted:

were they seriously on a boat for 8 years in this manga cause thats pretty impressive if so

how many issues was that? what the gently caress did they do on this boat the whole time? this must have been some boat!

Yes, they were on the boat since June 2007, occasionally stopping to fight some random poo poo that had nothing to do with anything. 64 chapters, something close to 1500 pages later, we're here. Here's to another decade of writer's block and hiatuses :v:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a lot of the boat chapters took place elsewhere with different characters. also they fought pirate ghosts

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

there was also a cave of bewbs

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Bisse posted:

there was also a cave of bewbs

I can think of several instances in the series where there's caves with boobs inside

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Won't this author be dead well before the series concludes

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Servaetes posted:

Won't this author be dead well before the series concludes

He's not THAT old and past claims make it sound like we're within a decade of done maybe.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What was the significance of the "Godhand splash pages" we see when the World Transformation happens? The ones where we see Contad made of rats, Ubik chilling inside the Hieronymus Bosch painting, Slan at the end of a giant tunnel made of naked people, and a closeup of Void's brain?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

What was the significance of the "Godhand splash pages" we see when the World Transformation happens? The ones where we see Contad made of rats, Ubik chilling inside the Hieronymus Bosch painting, Slan at the end of a giant tunnel made of naked people, and a closeup of Void's brain?

Nothing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It's a kickass illustration.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

That the Godhand are having fun in Midland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can't wait until we go back to luxurious two page spreads of Griffith hunting and jousting for eight chapters (sixteen years)